Ohio '10 - '11

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Re: Ohio '10 - '11

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

Adm Akbar says It's a Tarp! wrote: Yeah, not buying it. My team will notice at practice when we've had the same packet and at the beginning asks if I made sure I've got new ones for them (within the first couple questions), even packets used years back. Granted, we don't travel at all as much as Culver, so they don't hear as many. The tournaments that ran the HFT set were 4 months apart.
I don't find it implausible at all that somebody might forget a tossup they played a few months ago - especially if packets aren't being read in the same order, etc. Questions run together after a while. What I find implausible is that the team did not bother to find out what question set was being used at a tournament that they were going to spend a fifth of their budget going to.

Don't most tournament announcements explicitly state which question set will be used?
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Excelsior (smack)
Rikku

Post by Excelsior (smack) »

Morraine Man wrote:Don't most tournament announcements explicitly state which question set will be used?
In this case, it in fact was not publicly stated (except for an unofficial post in an unofficial-looking thread), on boards which Coach Blessman has stated he doesn't read. Coach Blessman has stated that email communication from Solon's coach contained no indication that HFT would be used; it should be easy for any other attendee of the event to verify whether or not this is the case.
Ashvin Srivatsa
Corporate drone '?? | Yale University '14 | Sycamore High School (OH) '10
Unicolored Jay
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Unicolored Jay »

Yeah, it was an honest mistake on the TD's part. I think the coaches who were absolutely sure HFT was being used are all active enough on the ohio boards that they would have noticed my post sometime before the tournament.
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee Health Science Center '21
The Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Why did the Northmont coach post that thing I linked to where he said it was made explicitly clear to all coaches via email that HFT was the set being used then?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Jeremy Gibbs Freesy Does It wrote:Why did the Northmont coach post that thing I linked to where he said it was made explicitly clear to all coaches via email that HFT was the set being used then?
That's true; I've wanted to hear some kind of follow-up on that. I'd love to see the email, certainly.
Andrew Watkins
djones
Wakka

Post by djones »

I know for a fact that I had an email from Bob indicating what set was being used (since I had not seen Jasper's post on the Ohio board about the set), but I am not sure if it was from correspondence sent to just me or to everyone (I no longer have that email, as Bob sent numerous emails out after that with more up-to-date info on the tournament, or else I could tell you for sure).

I had been in contact with Bob Weiser several times before the tournament (we exchanged several emails about both events) since the number of teams I was bringing changed between Saturday to Sunday, so I assumed when I made my rather irritated post on the Ohio Boards that I had seen it in an email sent to everyone, but it may have just been my correspondence with Bob directly. I know I always check since we travel so much and wanted to make sure we didn't have a problem.

Since Bob and Jasper have since stated that it was not widely distributed, it is entirely possible that I misspoke, and if so, I apologize to Phil for that. It would obviously be rather uncommon for a TD not to publically announce the set (or if they didn't, for teams not to ask), so I may have made the assumption that everyone was privy to that information. However, I do have a board in my office that lists what set is being played at each tournament, and HFT has been marked on that tournament for several weeks, so I know that I was fully aware that set was being used.

Edit: Maybe some other coaches there could comment? Did other teams really go to a tournament without knowing what set was being played?
David Jones
Coach, Northmont High School
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

Post by Broad-tailed Grassbird »

Every time I think about signing up for a tournament, I look at the date, and what set will be used. Every time I walk into practice late, before the next question starts I find myself asking the reader which packet are we reading.

Additonally, MSU has a read packet spreadsheet on google docs which allows us to keep track of when we read a packet, so that we don't waste people's time. I think Culver may want to invest in that, at least for tournaments attended, all you need is a gmail account, which is free.
Nalin
Scranton Middle School (2000-2003)
Brighton High School (2003-2007)
Michigan State University (2007-2011)
Semi-Retired (2012-present)
pblessman
Rikku

Post by pblessman »

Thanks for the tip on keeping better track of what sets are used a what tournaments. Believe me, I will never again assume anything, if you know what I mean. Bob has always played a "PACE" tournament on Sunday, and in the past this set has been provided sometimes by PACE, although I know they don't do regular season sets anymore... anyway, we always go to this double-tournament at Solon, and it has never been a problem, so I assumed it would be OK. Bob had NOT indicated in an email what set he used, which also applied to the Canadian TRASH set he used Saturday evening... that would have been helpful information so we could have brushed up on our Canadian Bronze Medalists and minor league hockey teams.

I am not shifting blame here, but it would be REALLY helpful for people like me to have a central location for tracking what tournaments use what sets... I am always 100% sure what tournaments use which NAQT set because they have a really easy to navigate list, but now that there are relatively many other sets to keep track of it can be difficult to keep track of... for me at least... It would also be helpful for tournament hosts to decide which sets might be available for mirroring which were not slated for their area yet.

Oh- and thanks to David Jones of Northmont for the (conditional) apology. I hope you're still coming to Midwest May 14!
Phil Blessman- Culver Academies Head Quizbowl Coach
Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Post by Sniper, No Sniping! »

After today's State Championship, who would say the strong field and performance would be a testament that Ohio quiz bowl is at it's prime? This is all considering the fact there were seven top 100 teams in the nation present, in addition to Tipp and Fisher Catholic, who both qualified for the HSNCT in out of state tournaments (Fisher did it twice at Parkersburg Catholic and Battle of the Burgh), this was a very strong tournament all around. 90% of the teams present scored at least 100ppg in packets 1-5. I think it really speaks volumes how strong Ohio quiz bowl is, and I was blown away by the Olmsted Falls program at Ohio State. We all know that their A team was Nulli Segundus today, but B, C, and D were all very strong. Even the teams in Central Ohio that don't play in the tu/b of Ohio, such as Scioto and Bexley, they all had really good performances.
Thomas Moore
Lancaster Fisher Catholic HS c/o 2014
Ohio Wesleyan University c/o 2018
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Post by Steeve Ho You Fat »

For people who don't read the Ohio forum, our state championship happened today. Results from the top bracket:

1. Olmsted Falls A
2. Copley A
3. Northmont A
4. Walnut Hills
5. Solon A
6. St. Ignatius
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Michigan State University '14
Walnut Hills High School '11
Adm Akbar says It's a Tarp!
Lulu

Post by Adm Akbar says It's a Tarp! »

And to add, nothing against the teams which did make the Championship bracket, but Brush is also a good team. Not up to the level of the big state powers, but had their bus not gone to the wrong campus where they had to forfeit their first 3 matches, they could have made a lot more noise.
Fountain of Youth? There's already enough youth. Why not the Fountain of Smart?

-John Timmer, Kent State '10, Jackson-Milton Quizbowl Coach ('08- )
Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Post by Sniper, No Sniping! »

Adm Akbar says It's a Tarp! wrote:And to add, nothing against the teams which did make the Championship bracket, but Brush is also a good team. Not up to the level of the big state powers, but had their bus not gone to the wrong campus where they had to forfeit their first 3 matches, they could have made a lot more noise.
I agree completely. Even for a three person A team, they were really good.

I think that transportation folly will forever be remembered in the Ohio quiz bowl community.
Thomas Moore
Lancaster Fisher Catholic HS c/o 2014
Ohio Wesleyan University c/o 2018
jgalea84
Lulu

Post by jgalea84 »

CavsFan2k10 wrote:
Adm Akbar says It's a Tarp! wrote:And to add, nothing against the teams which did make the Championship bracket, but Brush is also a good team. Not up to the level of the big state powers, but had their bus not gone to the wrong campus where they had to forfeit their first 3 matches, they could have made a lot more noise.
I agree completely. Even for a three person A team, they were really good.

I think that transportation folly will forever be remembered in the Ohio quiz bowl community.
I won't soon forget it.
Joe Galea, Assistant Coach, Olmsted Falls HS, Olmsted Falls, Ohio.
Detroit Catholic Central '02
University of Florida, BA
Case Western Reserve University School of Law, JD
2001 NAQT National Champions