2011 All Subject Side Tournament - postponed

Old college threads.
Auroni
Auron

2011 All Subject Side Tournament - postponed

Post by Auroni »

This is the tournament that I originally said would be on CO weekend, but decided to move when it looked like the schedule would be packed. I'm on pace to complete 8 20 tossup rounds. I'm aiming for this to be an "easy" hard tournament, ie, something along the lines of this year's VCU Open but a little bit harder. It will have the following distribution:

1 American Lit
1 Brit Lit
1 European Lit
1 World Lit
1 American History
0.5 British History
0.5 Ancient and Medieval History
0.5 European History to 1914
0.5 1914 onwards History
1 World History
1 Bio
1 Physics
1 Chem
0.5 Math and CS
0.5 Earth Science and Astro
1 Philosophy
0.5 Mythology
0.5 Religion
1 Painting
1 Music
0.5 Visual Other
0.5 Auditory Other
1 Social Science
1 Trash
1 "Your Choice"

This set will be ready to use anytime by MO weekend (11/20). Per the unusual title of this thread, this set can be played with a real field in any format that whoever runs it wants. Because it will be free to play, if there is demand for it, I will read the rest of the questions on the IRC at a to-be-determined date following MO. We can play it on a format everyone likes as well.
Last edited by Auroni on Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:01 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Cheynem
Sin

Re: Chicago Open Doubles/Quads

Post by Cheynem »

Fine with me, although my sole objection would be is that I wouldn't want to see it bump out more genre-specific side events and I would also have concerns with time as CO is notorious for going on quite long and CO Sunday can go decently long too.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

Chicago Open, for better or worse, has become a Hobbesian warre of all against all with a full round robin schedule. The Saturday night side event is actually going to start around 1 AM Sunday. The glory days of CO side events may well be over.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I read that as a Hoppesian war, and wondered what that would look like.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Morraine Man wrote:The Saturday night side event is actually going to start around 1 AM Sunday.
I mean, if this happens, then I'm going to cancel the tournament and play the questions on Sunday if there's time or in the worst case, on the IRC. I'm not an unreasonable person.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

You're going to cancel the tournament anyway because you've never come close to finishing any project you've been involved in. Save yourself and everyone a bunch of needless agony and don't attempt this.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Post by No Rules Westbrook »

Personally, I have no opposition to this (or any other proposed side event), the only question is obviously going to be "will there be time?"
Ryan Westbrook, no affiliation whatsoever.

I am pure energy...and as ancient as the cosmos. Feeble creatures, GO!

Left here since birth...forgotten in the river of time...I've had an eternity to...ponder the meaning of things...and now I have an answer!
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Hey, let's be realistic here. Both CO lits of the last two years finished at very late times (especially the second one, which realistically barely started until about midnight). CO Trash usually finishes at a decent time, but at that point, a lot of people's brains have turned to mush, so probably only a tossup only event is viable. I would be okay with a short event Saturday night and a reasonable event Sunday, or if schedules permit, something on Friday instead.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Post by No Rules Westbrook »

Saturday night always ends up very very late. Sunday runs into the (in my opinion, even worse) problem of craziness with people leaving, whether by airplane or car.

It seems to me that Friday night might be the best option for a side event, though I know that too has problems with people arriving. Either way, I don't much care...it's no skin off my back if anyone wants to try to find a reasonable time for a side event, and see how it flies.

Or, we could just beseech Seth Teitler to summon his inner Thoth and create five intercalary days for quizbowl enjoyment purposes.
Ryan Westbrook, no affiliation whatsoever.

I am pure energy...and as ancient as the cosmos. Feeble creatures, GO!

Left here since birth...forgotten in the river of time...I've had an eternity to...ponder the meaning of things...and now I have an answer!
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

Since there were also some concerns about having THUNDER finished for next year, why not just combine this project with that one? I agree that CO weekend seems rather packed as is, and I agree that I'd prefer to see more subject tournaments as side events.
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

This tournament will be finished. I'll write about 8 packets of just tossups, and we'll read as much of it as there's time for, whenever there is time that weekend.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Charbroil wrote:Since there were also some concerns about having THUNDER finished for next year, why not just combine this project with that one? I agree that CO weekend seems rather packed as is, and I agree that I'd prefer to see more subject tournaments as side events.
every time i refresh i have a new name wrote:This tournament will be finished. I'll write about 8 packets of just tossups, and we'll read as much of it as there's time for, whenever there is time that weekend.
Yeah, especially if there's nothing distinctive about these tossups other than that they're expected to be reasonable, it makes no sense to put effort into these when that same effort could be going into a real competitive set for next year.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

I mean, is CO rather packed as it is? As far as I know there's one tournament (CO) happening the entire weekend at this point. It sounds like there's certainly space for this event. And it's been a while since we've had a solid doubles tournament, so I absolutely support adding this to the weekend's roster.

On that note, is there really NOTHING else going on in terms of side events? That's just a bummer.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

DumbJaques wrote:I mean, is CO rather packed as it is? As far as I know there's one tournament (CO) happening the entire weekend at this point. It sounds like there's certainly space for this event. And it's been a while since we've had a solid doubles tournament, so I absolutely support adding this to the weekend's roster.

On that note, is there really NOTHING else going on in terms of side events? That's just a bummer.
Andrew Hart announced the law side event some time back (for a generic summer tournament), but I have no idea if he actually intends to put on such an event, or if he wants to do it at CO. Perhaps he can shed some light on the situation.
Evan
Georgetown Law Alum, Brandeis Alum, Oak Ridge High Alum
Ex-PACE, Ex-ACF
nadph
Rikku

Post by nadph »

Is this still happening? Are there plans to read it online at some point? Has it been folded into MAGNI?
Nikhil Desai
Bellarmine College Prep '12
Stanford '18 (leave of absence 2016-17)
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

I've told Ryan about this but haven't posted here: no, this won't be running on CO weekend. It is being written, however. If it is finished by MO weekend, I'll ask if it can be a side event there, if not, I plan to read it on the IRC.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Surely these questions can be put to better use than reading on the IRC, unless they are very very hard.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Auroni
Auron

Re: Singles/Doubles/Quads/whatever All Subject Side Tournament

Post by Auroni »

Massive overhaul of the opening post with more details has been made.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Auroni
Auron

Re: Singles/Doubles/Quads 2011 All Subject Side Tournament

Post by Auroni »

I don't know if anyone really cares, but I'm downsizing this to 8 packets.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Is this being played at MO at some point?
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

Ugh, Auroni, I wish you told me about this sooner. We only reserved rooms for Saturday given that only Mike Bentley's side event was on the table. People coming to the Penn site, please post here or in the Penn Intergalactic thread if you'd like to see this tournament run.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
magin
Auron

Post by magin »

I would enjoy playing this.
Jonathan Magin
Montgomery Blair HS '04, University of Maryland '08
Editor: ACF

"noted difficulty controller"
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

The Quest for the Historical Mukherjesus wrote:Ugh, Auroni, I wish you told me about this sooner. We only reserved rooms for Saturday given that only Mike Bentley's side event was on the table. People coming to the Penn site, please post here or in the Penn Intergalactic thread if you'd like to see this tournament run.
Are you guys planning on mirroring Eyes?
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

Mike Bentley wrote:
The Quest for the Historical Mukherjesus wrote:Ugh, Auroni, I wish you told me about this sooner. We only reserved rooms for Saturday given that only Mike Bentley's side event was on the table. People coming to the Penn site, please post here or in the Penn Intergalactic thread if you'd like to see this tournament run.
Are you guys planning on mirroring Eyes?
Yes, if that's alright.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
Smuttynose Island
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Smuttynose Island »

I'd be interested in playing this at the Penn mirror.
Daniel Hothem
TJHSST '11 | UVA '15 | Oregon '??
"You are the stuff of legends" - Chris Manners
https://sites.google.com/site/academicc ... ubuva/home
Magister Ludi
Tidus

Post by Magister Ludi »

I booked a train ticket returning Saturday at midnight and would prefer to play Bentley's art tournament over this (but if we could fit both in after Mo that would be fine).
Ted Gioia - Harvard '12
Editor ACF, PACE
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

There doesn't seem to be much interest for this, and I physically can't keep up with the pacing that I need to get this done by MO. It's postponed until at least 2012 while I have more important things, like NSC and HSAPQ questions and schoolwork, to finish.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)