CR Rider Bowl II (May 14, 2011) [CONFIRMED DATE CHANGE!]

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Bloodwych
Wakka

Re: CR Rider Bowl II (May 14, 2011) [CONFIRMED DATE CHANGE!]

Post by Bloodwych »

We also have stupid things and won't be going.
🚿
Quince Orchard HS '11
Maryland - College Park '15

Well, you built up a world of magic
Because your real life is tragic
Yeah, you built up a world of magic
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

I've been updating the field and we're around 10 or 11 teams. We will have plenty of kids for a house team is necessary, so there will not be a bye no matter what number we get.

We're still debating the format. If we stay at 10, we'll probably so a full round-robin. If we bump up to 12, that might be a stretch so we'll have to figure out brackets for that. We'll see.

Please sign up for this! I honestly find it pretty incredible that we'll actually have fewer teams attend than last year possibly, but i guess that's just what happens at this time of year.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
jlchockey94
Lulu

Post by jlchockey94 »

I would still be in favor of a full round-robin with 12 teams. I think that the 11 rounds plus a one or two-game final would be possible within a reasonable amount of time.
Jared Cowan
Georgetown Day School '12
Auron

jlchockey94 wrote:I would still be in favor of a full round-robin with 12 teams. I think that the 11 rounds plus a one or two-game final would be possible within a reasonable amount of time.
I agree with you. We did things very quickly last year, with good readers (we have a few alumni coming back to help), tons of staffers, and classrooms right next to each other.

Possibly messing things up is the statement by one team that they need to leave in the early afternoon (possibly by as early as 1 or 2) that i received in an e-mail yesterday. This would very much mess up plans for a full round-robin.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

Carangoides ciliarius wrote:Possibly messing things up is the statement by one team that they need to leave in the early afternoon (possibly by as early as 1 or 2) that i received in an e-mail yesterday. This would very much mess up plans for a full round-robin.
For the record, this is us. I don't have a particular time that the most critical student needs to return, but I've since been told it's later than 4. Because of the travel distance, it's not practical for someone to be picked up prior to the rest, but I expect to be in touch regarding what format you eventually plan on using, if for no other reason than to determine whether it's more practical to not bring that particular student considering his time constraints and the number of students we're likely to bring in total. I have no intent to create a situation where the tournament will not run smoothly because of our team's issues.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
Auron

Well, good news and kinda bad news.

HSAPQ has sent me the questions and i've received them, downloaded them, and taken a look. Naturally, they're good and an appropriate difficulty. The excellent teams at this tournament (there are quite a few) will find them good, but they are very accessible for any team coming.

All other interested teams have dropped their interest, though, so we are stuck at 11 teams. We'll be able to bump that up to 12 with a House team in almost all certainty.

With Howard's situation, we'll now engage in a discussion about tournament format. I find a full round-robin to make a lot of sense (some of these games will take no longer than 25 minutes) and we'll easily finish 12 rounds in time.

If we run brackets of 6 (certainly reasonable), then Howard's situation isn't nearly as significant. But that would create repeated games and i don't really want to do that if there are just enough teams for a full round-robin.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Kouign Amann »

Carangoides ciliarius wrote: With Howard's situation
Perhaps I am misreading Mr. Gilbert, but it seems to me that it's less of a "Howard situation" and more of a "one dude on Howard situation." He seems to leave open the possibility of just not bringing that guy in the first place, so (unless I am misreading) it seems like we're safe running a full round robin regardless.
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

Near as I could garner today, there was a desire to be back around 5 P.M., but that an hour or so either way was not a big deal. This later time pretty much applies to two students, so we're entering the territory where if we consider not bringing the both of them, it becomes impractical to enter a team.
John Gilbert
Ellicott City, MD

Auron

Even with 12 rounds, we may be done this tournament before 5pm. Last year we played 10 rounds and finished before 4pm.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Smuttynose Island

Post by Smuttynose Island »

Carangoides ciliarius wrote:Even with 12 rounds, we may be done this tournament before 5pm. Last year we played 10 rounds and finished before 4pm.
If it helps, it looks as if TJ will be able to bring at least one and possibly two experienced moderators.
Daniel Hothem
TJHSST '11 | UVA '15 | Oregon '??
"You are the stuff of legends" - Chris Manners
https://sites.google.com/site/academicc ... ubuva/home
Auron

waddle1 wrote:
Carangoides ciliarius wrote:Even with 12 rounds, we may be done this tournament before 5pm. Last year we played 10 rounds and finished before 4pm.
If it helps, it looks as if TJ will be able to bring at least one and possibly two experienced moderators.
That's cool, but probably won't matter; we only need 6 good moderators and we basically have them already lined up.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Post by Angry Babies in Love »

Hey, So I'm really sorry about this, but we won't be able to get a team out there on Saturday. Best of luck and I'll see you at Maryland Spring.
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Richard Montgomery HS '11
George Washington University '15
University of Maryland, College Park '17
Hella things, National History Bee and Bowl
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

For us to return by 5 (and I'm estimating as I've never made this trip), we'd want to leave by 3:15. And I figure we'll turn into pumpkins around 4:15. If you need to schedule a bye each round, might I suggest making our bye last round in order to minimize any potential inconvenience?
John Gilbert
Ellicott City, MD

Auron

Well, now with RM not attending, it looks like we'll have just 10 teams and 9 rounds.

We might even finish by that time.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Auron

And another team has dropped today leaving us with 9... looks like we'll have enough for a House team to keep that number at 10.

What a disappointment that this tournament will end up with 5 less teams than last year, our first one. A shame.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Auron

This e-mail was just sent to addresses that i have received. Tell me if you did not receive it.
Hello everyone,

If you are receiving this e-mail, it means that you are scheduled as committed to coming to the Caesar Rodney Rider Bowl II in Camden, Delaware on Saturday, May 14th. If you received this message in error (or you would like to withdraw your team), please send a reply back to me ASAP so this can be amended.

If you are coming, great! I would request that you e-mail me back when you receive this e-mail, just to confirm its receipt and your participation. If possible, please reply with a cell phone number so I may call you just in case anything arises on tournament day.

Here is our current field. Please let me know if this is accurate for your school when it comes to the amount of teams, buzzer systems, and moderators you are bringing:

Charter (2 teams, 5 buzzers)
Concord (1 team)
Wissahickon (1 team)
St. Thomas More (1 team)
St. Anselm's (1 team, 1 buzzer)
"DanAMan" (Daniel Hothem playing solo) (1 team)
Georgetown Day School (1 team, 1 buzzer)
Howard (1 team, 1 buzzer, 1 moderator)

Total: 9 teams, 8 buzzers, 1 moderator (we will add a House team to even out the number to 10)

As you can see, we have a lot of teams bringing buzzers and that is awesome. You can never have too many. And we have a moderating volunteer which is also wonderful. We are a large program so I have many kids who wish to read and/or scorekeep and are really excited to do so (we will have a moderator and scorekeeper in every room), so if your team has someone committed to moderating, you will be asked again on Saturday morning if you still wish to do so. Your discount will not be taken away if you do not want to moderate after originally stating you would. We really appreciate your willingness to help us.

Invoices can gladly be sent before the tournament to your e-mail at your request. Otherwise we will be giving them out immediately upon receipt of payment on Saturday morning at check-in.

The building will be open by 8:00am and teams may register as soon as they arrive. Parking is free and right in front of the school. You can’t miss it. Please enter through the main doors and proceed to our cafeteria that is down the hall and past the auditorium. This is where we will have our opening meeting, breakfast refreshments, and post-lunch/pre-playoff meeting. Signs will be posted in the halls that will help you find your way. Our school is somewhat large but it’s a very simple layout.

When you register, please be ready to pay your entrance fee. Checks are preferred, made out to “CRHS Academic Bowl,” but cash will also be accepted (exact payment only).

Your team will be given a folder of information upon registration. Of particular importance is the roster sheet that you will be given. Please fill it out with your team name (i.e. Caesar Rodney A) and your teammates’ first and last names. Teams may have no more than six players on one team, and no more than four teammates playing at once. Substitutions will be allowed before any game and before Tossup 11 (halftime).

There will be a rules clarification before the beginning of the tournament before Round 1. This opening meeting, along with other announcements, will begin by 8:45am. Any and all questions about game format should be asked at this time and they will be promptly answered.

You will also be given information about lunch. Unfortunately we really don’t have anything within walking distance of the school (except for a very small pizza place) so we’re going to give you a map of the places you can go within 1-3 miles. There are several options. We will likely increase our lunch time to 75-90 minutes because of this.

Here are some clarified directions to Caesar Rodney High School. If you are using a GPS (recommended of course) please use this address: 239 Old North Road – Camden, DE

Directions from the South: Please drive up Route 13 until you enter Camden. Turn left on Route 10 (Camden-Wyoming Ave.) at the Dairy Queen in town. Take the next immediate right turn at the traffic light on this road onto Main St. Turn left at the next traffic light onto Old North Road. You’ll see the school right in front of you.

Directions from the North: Cross the Delaware Memorial Bridge on I-295 if coming from New Jersey, and exit onto DuPont Highway (Route 13) to head towards Dover. If coming from Pennsylvania, travel on I-95 and exit at Route 1 in Christiana. If coming from Northern Delaware, get to Route 13 and head south. Bear left in about 5.5 miles and stay on Route 13 (this is past all the restaurants and airport by a ways). Stay on this road as it merges into State Route 1, and you will soon head over another bridge at the Chesapeake & Delaware Canal. The road becomes a toll road at this point and I highly suggest you stay on it; trying the old Route 13 instead of the nice Route 1 is not a fun experience. You will head south for about 30-35 miles on Route 1 where you will hit your second of two toll booths just after Dover Downs International Speedway (the big NASCAR track). After this toll, exit at the Puncheon Run Connector at Exit 97, and this winding brief road will take you to the intersection with Route 13 again. Take a left at this light. In just about a mile, look to the right for a road that will bear off the highway called Old Camden Road. Bear right and take this street. Very shortly after the tree line on this street, you will see our football field and tennis courts. Take a right at the first traffic light onto Old North Road and the school will be right in front of you.

Directions from the West: You guys have the most interesting drive. Now you get to see what we do about ten times a year! Proceed east and go over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge after Annapolis on Route 50/301. After you cross into the Eastern Shore of Maryland, stay on Route 301 and keep left when Route 50 exits to the right. You don’t want to go to Ocean City. Or maybe you do. Well, we want you to come to Delaware instead. Stay on Route 301 until you see signs for Ruthsburg Road, State Route 304, and take a right onto this road. Say goodbye to highways. Continue on this road for about ten miles until you get to an intersection in the little town of Bridgetown, Maryland. Take a left at this intersection onto Oakland Road, State Route 312. Continue on this road for about two miles through really cool thick forests and then you get to a “T” where you should be taking a right this time onto Goldsboro Road, State Route 313. Continue on this road (past a stop sign or two) and you’ll get into Delaware soon. Keep going for another twelve miles and you’ll be in Camden on Willow Grove Road, which then quickly turns into Caesar Rodney Avenue. Continue through the traffic light and take a right when you reach the post office and a “T” which is Old North Road. After taking that right, in less than a mile you will see our school just on your left.

If you are running late, PLEASE call me at 302.359.0148 and let us know. Regardless, we may be starting rounds without you if you are not here by 9:00.

Once again, I would request that you e-mail me back when you receive this e-mail, just to confirm its receipt. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to e-mail me at andrewDOTchrzanowskiATcrDOTk12DOTdeDOTus sometime before Saturday morning.

We’re looking forward to having you and hosting a great quizbowl tournament! Drive carefully and we’ll see you in a couple days.
Hopefully nobody else drops out of the tournament in the next few days.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Auron

Just to make it clear, 9 teams are coming and we will have 1 CR House team to play out the "bye" rounds, so there really are no byes for this tournament. Those games will be reported in statistics for individual sake, but will not count in the overall win-loss standings for final placement and tiebreaker possibilities. This is basically the same thing RM had to do at their tournament last month, but this time i wouldn't expect the House team to be putting up quite those numbers.

See everybody bright and early Saturday! I don't think the NASCAR race traffic will be a problem (it's on Sunday) but you might want to leave a few minutes early just in case.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Auron

This tournament is at lunchtime. Here are the stats so far after 5 rounds of a full round robin.

http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Auron

St. Anselm's won this tournament after beating GDS by winning the first game of an advantaged final, remarkably featuring Aidan with a stat line of 10-0-0. Charter A captured third place outright. Statistics above are finalized.

St. Anselm's also won an exhibition match against CR A 2010 (Trey, Ryan, Seth, Alexa, plus CHRZ) by something like 400 to 265. We were notably winning at halftime... :neutral:

Good times were had by all, nonetheless. Thanks, everybody for coming. See many of you at Maryland next weekend.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Smuttynose Island

Post by Smuttynose Island »

I just wanted to say that I had a great time playing solo at this tournament. It was efficiently run and the questions, as all HSAPQ questions, were superb. The set did seem a little harder than 15 though, but that may just be me.
Daniel Hothem
TJHSST '11 | UVA '15 | Oregon '??
"You are the stuff of legends" - Chris Manners
https://sites.google.com/site/academicc ... ubuva/home
Auron

Thanks for your kind words, Daniel. We do our best; it's all the great kids i have that came to volunteer to make everything run the best that it could.

I'd be remiss if i didn't thank them all, especially the moderators and scorekeepers: Sam, Corben, Alexa, Elorm, and Cameron. Big thanks of course to Pratyusha as her first time as statistician - you caught a few mistakes and did a really awesome job. Thanks also to the alumni and friends who came by to help: Trey, Ryan, Seth, Mary, and Kelly. And furthermore thanks a bunch to Mr. John Gilbert of Howard for his great moderating skills as well; my kids specifically said you were one of the better moderators we have at any tournaments so it was really nice to have you volunteer to help us too. Thanks so much again.

Also, these questions were once again great, cementing another time HSAPQ's reputation as the best question-provider there is. There were a few weird issues with power marks, and one or two repeated clues, but overall the questions were excellent and i think just what "regular difficulty" is supposed to be for high school. Teams with large amounts of younger players, i implore you, use these questions (set #17) to practice next year when they are posted online.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Auron

A couple little things were pointed out to me on the stats (namely that bonus totals in a game, in this set at least, can't end in the number "5") so i fixed a couple little things after taking a look at the scoresheets this morning and we should be all set in the stats now. No real big changes were made nor did it affect really anything meaningful, but i wanted to get it as accurate as i could. Let me know if you see anything else strange-looking in there.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

Carangoides ciliarius wrote:A couple little things were pointed out to me on the stats (namely that bonus totals in a game, in this set at least, can't end in the number "5") so i fixed a couple little things after taking a look at the scoresheets this morning and we should be all set in the stats now. No real big changes were made nor did it affect really anything meaningful, but i wanted to get it as accurate as i could. Let me know if you see anything else strange-looking in there.
In fact, wasn't there one bonus part that was on a 5/5 basis? I think there was.
Aidan Mehigan
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Prof.Whoopie wrote:
Carangoides ciliarius wrote:A couple little things were pointed out to me on the stats (namely that bonus totals in a game, in this set at least, can't end in the number "5") so i fixed a couple little things after taking a look at the scoresheets this morning and we should be all set in the stats now. No real big changes were made nor did it affect really anything meaningful, but i wanted to get it as accurate as i could. Let me know if you see anything else strange-looking in there.
In fact, wasn't there one bonus part that was on a 5/5 basis? I think there was.
The scoresheet would bear this out. Usually, bonuses ending in 5 means someone messed up power/neg math.
Auron

Prof.Whoopie wrote:
That was during our exhibition match on packet 11.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

Carangoides ciliarius wrote:
Prof.Whoopie wrote:
That was during our exhibition match on packet 11.
And that would explain why I couldn't find it again when going through the packets. Memory lapse on my part - carry on.
Aidan Mehigan