BLASTOISE @ Guelph [After Ontario NAQT Provs.]

Old college threads.
Masked Canadian History Bandit
Rikku

BLASTOISE @ Guelph [After Ontario NAQT Provs.]

Post by Masked Canadian History Bandit »

This is just a preliminary announcement for a mirror of BLASTOISE to potentially be held at the University of Guelph after the Ontario NAQT Provincials (tentatively either 11 or 18 June) are completed. BLASTOISE is a hybrid event, so it is roughly 50% Academic and 50% Popular Culture. Staffers, coaches, and players in the Ontario NAQT Provincial Quizbowl are all welcome to play. We might not have time to get through all the packets, so we'll predict a cost of $5-$10 per person, depending on the # teams/time remaining/format used.

On a side note, people who want to come and play this should probably also help (or at least volunteer to help) Chris Greenwood staff Ontario Provincials, so that event can run more smoothly. You can e-mail him at: greenwocATuoguelphDOTca.
Patrick Liao
Lisgar Collegiate Institute 2011, University of Pennsylvania 2015, University of Toronto Faculty of Law 2019
Bartleby
Rikku

Re: BLASTOISE @ Guelph [After Ontario NAQT Provs.]

Post by Bartleby »

Masked Canadian History Bandit wrote:On a side note, people who want to come and play this should probably also help (or at least volunteer to help) Chris Greenwood staff Ontario Provincials, so that event can run more smoothly. You can e-mail him at: greenwocATuoguelphDOTca.
An announcement of this nature outside of this thread would probably go a long way towards attaining this, for those of us (such as myself) who were previously unaware of this event (NAQT Provs).
Brian McNamara
Western University '13
University of Waterloo '14
Temple University '20
Rikku

Bartleby wrote:
Masked Canadian History Bandit wrote:On a side note, people who want to come and play this should probably also help (or at least volunteer to help) Chris Greenwood staff Ontario Provincials, so that event can run more smoothly. You can e-mail him at: greenwocATuoguelphDOTca.
An announcement of this nature outside of this thread would probably go a long way towards attaining this, for those of us (such as myself) who were previously unaware of this event (NAQT Provs).
I don't know specifics on the NAQT Provincials, but it does sound like getting a good date for staff was an issue, so I guess more staff couldn't hurt. I also have minimal contact with most university clubs. I've mainly be trying to build things up on the high school side of things with Facebook.

EDIT: And tonight, after mass-stalker adding people from Reach for the Top provincials, there seems to be a consensus from the major Reach teams in Ontario that quizbowl is better on the Ontario High School Trivia FB group that I admin. Now for that actual shift to happen.
Patrick Liao
Lisgar Collegiate Institute 2011, University of Pennsylvania 2015, University of Toronto Faculty of Law 2019
Bartleby
Rikku

Post by Bartleby »

Masked Canadian History Bandit wrote:
Bartleby wrote:
I don't know specifics on the NAQT Provincials, but it does sound like getting a good date for staff was an issue, so I guess more staff couldn't hurt. I also have minimal contact with most university clubs. I've mainly be trying to build things up on the high school side of things with Facebook.
But what of the event itself? I've seen nothing of it on these boards, nor have I received any information on Facebook about it (though in fairness, we do not really know one another, Patrick). I might be able to come and staff, should Guelph require assistance, and I suspect a large number of GTA-based Canadian quiz bowlers would feel similarly, provided they actually know about the event.
Brian McNamara
Western University '13
Temple University '20
Windows ME
Wakka

Post by Windows ME »

Bartleby wrote: and I suspect a large number of GTA-based Canadian quiz bowlers would feel similarly, provided they actually know about the event.
This.
Sinan U.
U of Toronto 2010
U of Alberta 2015
Rikku

fourplustwo wrote:
Bartleby wrote: and I suspect a large number of GTA-based Canadian quiz bowlers would feel similarly, provided they actually know about the event.
This.
As far as I know they're juggling 11 and 18 June.
Patrick Liao
Bartleby
Rikku

Post by Bartleby »

OK, another thing about dates... I know that U of T is planning an as-yet unannounced mirror of FOGHAT for the 18th, so the co-ordinators should either hold their event on the 11th or talk to U of T to ensure that they can draw the maximum staff from Quiz Bowlers in the area.
Brian McNamara
Western University '13
Temple University '20
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

I will be unavailable (for non-QB reasons) on the June 18 weekend, but I may be able to help out on June 11 if I get some details through a medium other than Facebook. That tournament would also be the most practical place to finally establish the Ontario quizbowl association idea that has been floating around for a couple years now.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
Bartleby
Rikku

Post by Bartleby »

bsmith wrote:I will be unavailable (for non-QB reasons) on the June 18 weekend, but I may be able to help out on June 11 if I get some details through a medium other than Facebook. That tournament would also be the most practical place to finally establish the Ontario quizbowl association idea that has been floating around for a couple years now.
If it's the 11th, and I don't have work, I should be able to attend. This "Ontario Quiz Bowl Association" also is of significant interest to me.
Brian McNamara
Western University '13
Temple University '20
Rikku

Bartleby wrote:
bsmith wrote:I will be unavailable (for non-QB reasons) on the June 18 weekend, but I may be able to help out on June 11 if I get some details through a medium other than Facebook. That tournament would also be the most practical place to finally establish the Ontario quizbowl association idea that has been floating around for a couple years now.
If it's the 11th, and I don't have work, I should be able to attend. This "Ontario Quiz Bowl Association" also is of significant interest to me.
I would so do this.
Patrick Liao
Camelopardalis
Wakka

Post by Camelopardalis »

So it's looking like the 11th works best. We're confirming with our booking department and NAQT, so we should have an announcement and invitations out shortly.
Chris Greenwood
Lisgar '08, Guelph '15
Member | ONQBA, PACE
Ontario Veterinary College, co 2015

Visit ONQBA on Facebook!
Camelopardalis
Wakka

Post by Camelopardalis »

bsmith wrote:That tournament would also be the most practical place to finally establish the Ontario quizbowl association idea that has been floating around for a couple years now.
Obviously, I would be highly supportive of this.
Camelopardalis wrote:4. What combines the above? I'd be very supportive of the establishment of a new governing body for quizbowl in Canada. I propose that a federation that could control communication, establishment of tournaments, and the discussion and integration of the various opinions in the Canadian quizbowl community would make sure that everyone had a lot more fun at all events. Not only would it recognize the difference between trivia and academic quizbowl competition, but it would help convey the overwhelming enjoyment and benefit of academic competition, strengthen the Canadian circuit, and strongly aid and support growth of quizbowl in Canada, and additionally, an improved technological aspect of this organization would help in this (website, hsquizbowl forums, etc.). I would be supportive of VETO returning to its old state, and recognized as a trivia event, if EFT, ACF Fall, ACF Regionals, Illinois Open, Minnesota Undergraduate Tournament, and other similar quizbowl events were run in Canada and viewed as the legitimate, embraced form of academic competition, which currently, I don't think they universally are (in Canada). I'd posit that the earnest formation of an organization like this would do only good for both the collegiate and high school quizbowl scenes. - (July 2009)
Chris Greenwood
Lisgar '08, Guelph '15
Member | ONQBA, PACE
Ontario Veterinary College, co 2015

Visit ONQBA on Facebook!
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

Since this is actually a topic in the trash forum about BLASTOISE, I've put my thoughts about an association in what is probably a more suitable place: the Ontario HS thread.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
CraigM
Lulu

Post by CraigM »

If you are in need of staffers for the tournament on the 11th still, I could possibly round up a fellow McMaster quizbowl-er or two and we could make our way down to help staff. Do you still need people? And if so, how many?
Craig Moysey
McMaster University '11
Rikku

CraigM wrote:If you are in need of staffers for the tournament on the 11th still, I could possibly round up a fellow McMaster quizbowl-er or two and we could make our way down to help staff. Do you still need people? And if so, how many?
I'm not in charge of this, but you can contact the TD, Chris Greenwood at either guelphtriviaATgmailDOTcom or greenwocATuoguelphDOTca

Also ,official post for the Ontario Provs. http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... =1&t=11556
Patrick Liao