HSNCT Match Tracker

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Stained Diviner
Auron

HSNCT Match Tracker

Post by Stained Diviner »

A Google Doc which keeps track of matches for HSNCT can be found at:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreads ... _US#gid=16

Thanks to Michael Wong and Jonathan Pinyan for helping it get to this point, and thanks to NAQT for working with me.

It is set up so that if you enter a match score, the teams automatically advance to their next match. During the day Saturday, anybody who knows any results should post them here or twitter them with tag #hsnct. Once that is done, somebody with editing privileges hopefully will put the results in the document. When reporting results, it is extremely helpful but not necessary to include round number, room, and card numbers. Because of Google Docs performance issues, I am not interested in adding editing privileges for anybody who will be playing, coaching, or staffing match rooms at the tournament. If you don't fit into any of those categories and are interested in spending a few hours Saturday helping with this effort, let me know. If you are in any of those categories, the way you should help this project is to post or tweet whatever results you know.

The one part that is still in progress is adding text to Columns L and N to make it easier to track where teams are going.
If you are interested in spending an hour or more working on this today or tomorrow, email me.

A few important notes:
* As I already said, when posting results here or on twitter with #hsnct, it is helpful to include information such as round number, room, and/or card numbers. Posting a team's record after several matches probably is not helpful unless it's along the lines of WLLLWL showing the orders of wins and losses.
* Some combination of Harry White, Jonathan Pinyan, me, and you are going to try to put together a similar document for the Sunday, but it hasn't been started yet. If you are interested in helping out, let me know.
* I am going to put in team names showing where they play their first match Saturday morning. Before then, teams can twitter/post their card numbers, and people with editing privileges can put whatever they know in the Google Doc. However, internal NAQT documents should not be used to put in initial assignments until Saturday morning.
* This will only work decently if there is a critical mass of reports coming in. Please spread the word by emailing teams you are normally in contact with and publicizing this effort Friday night and during the day Saturday.
* Because Google Docs is touchy, please don't leave this document open when you are not looking at it.
* Everything in this document should be considered unofficial. If there is a discrepancy between this document and reality, then reality wins.
* If a match shows two records, it just means that there is a chance that the two teams will have different records. There are only four matches in the whole tournament in which teams are guaranteed to have different records.
* The initial card assignments will not match seeds. There is seeding built into the system, but it is not as simple as the best team gets card #1, the second best gets #2, etc.
Last edited by Stained Diviner on Wed May 25, 2011 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
jagluski
Wakka

Re: HSNCT Match Tracker

Post by jagluski »

Westwon wrote:A Google Doc which keeps track of matches for HSNCT can be found at:

* Some combination of Harry White, Jonathan Pinyan, me, and you are going to try to put together a similar document for the Sunday, but it hasn't been started yet. If you are interested in helping out, let me know.

I can't get it to you until I get home from work tonight, but I wouldn't spend too much time on the Sunday piece. NAQT has put together an official playoff bracket that we will be handing out on site for teams to follow during the day on Sunday. I see no reason that we can't just post that bracket online as well.

Send me an email and I'll give you the details.

Thanks.
Joel Gluskin
WUSTL '04
NAQT Vice President for Logistics
jagluski
Wakka

Post by jagluski »

jagluski wrote:
Westwon wrote:A Google Doc which keeps track of matches for HSNCT can be found at:

I can't get it to you until I get home from work tonight, but I wouldn't spend too much time on the Sunday piece. NAQT has put together an official playoff bracket that we will be handing out on site for teams to follow during the day on Sunday. I see no reason that we can't just post that bracket online as well.

Send me an email and I'll give you the details.

Thanks.
Also, just to be clear...I will post this bracket (or someone else will) here for public consumption prior to the playoffs on Sunday (most likely, it will be Friday).
Joel Gluskin
WUSTL '04
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

my ability to sleep -5, finishing hsnct fifteeeeeeeeeeeeeeen
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Mike Wong
Lulu

Post by Mike Wong »

If I find out a way to get internet in and around the game rooms, I might be able to provide live updates onsite.
Mike Wong
Tulane University School of Medicine
A.B. Freeman School of Business at Tulane University

Benedictine University '15
IMSA '11
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

All of the game rooms should have internet access.

Also, this:
Fred wrote:my ability to sleep -5, finishing hsnct fifteeeeeeeeeeeeeeen
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
jagluski
Wakka

Post by jagluski »

bt_green_warbler wrote:All of the game rooms should have internet access.

Let me clarify. All of the game rooms in hotel suites should have internet access. The meeting rooms will not.
Joel Gluskin
WUSTL '04
etchdulac
Rikku

Post by etchdulac »

jagluski wrote:Let me clarify. All of the game rooms in hotel suites should have internet access. The meeting rooms will not.
So I presume the playoff control room will be internet-ready when I will be trying to get scores out Sunday? Last year I was trying to do it by phone... not very efficient.
Stephen Fontenot
Texas Quiz Bowl Alliance Deputy Director
Communications, UT Dallas
Strake Jesuit '96 -+-+- Southwestern '00
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

EDIT: Nevermind, not necessary anymore.
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
ryandillon
Wakka

Post by ryandillon »

So after a match, we tweet the result with the tag #hsnct and that's it? Do we need to follow someone in particular or have them follow us?
Ryan Dillon

Detroit Catholic Central Class of 2011
University of Michigan Class of 2015
Stained Diviner
Auron

That's it.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

As my flight to HSNCT has been cancelled (American Airlines strikes again!), I will not be staffing HSNCT. I am willing to help out in any HSNCT-related online project on Saturday afternoon. Contact me if you are running one of those projects and are looking for help.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
sumukh1
Kimahri

Post by sumukh1 »

Cool. I'll be looking at this and tweeting.

Just to clarify: Will NAQT provide us with some form of internet access? If some of us couldn't get the rooms at a NAQT rate, are we still elegible? (The room description said internet was provided in a vague way)
Sumukh Sridhara
Mission San Jose High
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

All rooms booked under the NAQT group rate should have complimentary internet access.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
sumukh1
Kimahri

Post by sumukh1 »

bt_green_warbler wrote:All rooms booked under the NAQT group rate should have complimentary internet access.
I see. Some of us weren't under the NAQT rate, so we might have to deal with that. Oh well. Thanks! Also congrats on almost 2000 posts!
Sumukh Sridhara
Mission San Jose High
jagluski
Wakka

Post by jagluski »

All,

As promised, here is the HSNCT Playoff Bracket. Round 17 will be paired outside the card system and those matches will be available Saturday night or Sunday morning. Round 17 will be paired such that Round 18 will have 32 teams in the winner's bracket and 32 teams in the loser's bracket.

We will not be printing a copy of this for every team (feel free to print your own); however, I will be updating a posterboard copy of all the brackets on site close to the majority of the game rooms on Sunday. This should initially be located on the Atlanta Conference Center level and will move up to the Exhibit Level and Ballroom Level when the majority of games relocate.

Thanks,

Joel
Attachments
hsnct bracket 2011 hsqb.xls
(41.5 KiB) Downloaded 557 times
Joel Gluskin
WUSTL '04
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

In addition, we will (hopefully) be updating the Sunday playoffs live here.
Harry White

Will run stats for food
Stained Diviner
Auron

Thanks to some work by Dwight today, the Saturday Google Doc is ready to go. Editors are allowed to fill in team names for first matches based on what they learn from the internet and being at the hotel, but we will not make use of NAQT documents until around the time the 1st Round is played. We now have enough editors for this project, so it should work if a lot of results get posted. Please encourage other teams and moderators to post, and please keep in mind that our job is easier if we get round numbers, rooms, and/or card numbers.

Remember to post results using #hsnct on Twitter (which can be read at tweetag if the twitter search isn't working so well) or in this thread, and, if you don't like those options, the blog.

Keep in mind that this is all unofficial. Also, if you see a 1-0 score, it probably is because the person editing the Google Doc didn't know the score; it probably is not a forfeit. If anybody notices any errors, feel free to post about them here or email me.
David Reinstein
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Jesus Christ George berry stop posting "I have apparently arrived at #HSNCT" on twitter!
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Tournament is not the same without hsnctlies.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Mike Wong
Lulu

Post by Mike Wong »

The spreadsheet now includes the initial parings. Good luck to all teams!
Mike Wong
Tulane University School of Medicine
A.B. Freeman School of Business at Tulane University

Benedictine University '15
IMSA '11
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Welcome to the Sportscenter sponsored by HSNCT. Bruins 1 Lightning 0. Rays 5 Indians 0. Angels 6 Twins 5. Athletes doing wacky things 15 astonished ESPN talking heads -5. Lockout 1 Football 0. Thank you for watching Sportscenter sponsored by HSNCT.
Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

So, I'm here in the stats room. I am apparently bad at twitter, and nothing I'm hashtagging is showing up. Here are random scores that I've seen so far (basically, whatever games were in my hand when I had a little down time):

Round 3
St. Joe's (IN) 265, O'Gorman 80
Ottawa Hills 130 Chaska 155
Walt Whitman 285 Seton Hall 215

Round 4
Pope John Paul II 85, Hooch B 220
St. Joe's (IN) 95, Beachwood 410
Bainbridge 205, Oak Ridge 170
La Jolla B 210 LASA C 195

Round 5
Parkview A 220 Yukon 245
Treasure Valley 170, State College B 145
Santa Monica 265, La Jolla B 130
Breck 235, O'Gorman 85
River Falls 150, Ottawa Hills 105
Maggie Walker B 200, Kellenberg B 110
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
University of Notre Dame '11
Texas A&M '15
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

I think all of Bryce's scores are now entered.
Dan Donohue, Saint Viator ('10), Northwestern ('14), NAQT
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

Some more scores -

Round 6
Culver A 340, Raleigh Charter A 195
Raleigh Charter B 225, Carson City 25
Ransom Everglades 300, Lakeside (Atlanta) 135
Charter A 85, La Jolla A 355
LASA B 290, Dorman A 345
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
University of Notre Dame '11
Texas A&M '15
Stained Diviner
Auron

The first six rounds are all in and about a third of Round Seven as of right now.

When possible, give room numbers with scores.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

Dorman vs Maggie Walker to determine the last undefeated team
David Reinstein
etchdulac
Rikku

HSNCT end of saturday info trickling out

Post by etchdulac »

Texas teams rolling along:
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=10451&start=100#p217437
* 9-1 LASA A leads pack of at least eight Texas teams into Sunday play
* Seven Lakes A, LASA B at 8-2
LASA C and LASA D both in playoffs
Last edited by etchdulac on Sat May 28, 2011 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen Fontenot
AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

Post by AlphaQuizBowler »

Will prelim stats be posted tonight?
William
Alpharetta High School '11
Harvard '15
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

AlphaQuizBowler wrote:Will prelim stats be posted tonight?
Yes. We're working on them.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

So is this year the first time ever that a single school has 4 teams making the playoffs? It seems like quite an accomplishment and testament to the depth of LASA to have 4 teams with winning records with such a top-notch field.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
etchdulac
Rikku

Post by etchdulac »

Golran wrote:So is this year the first time ever that a single school has 4 teams making the playoffs?
Judging by a Coach Flowers facebook post, he has been told that it has not happened before. Don't have the background to confirm that personally, but I bet someone will confirm/deny soon. The fact that a really young LASA B team is 8-2 is pretty remarkable too.
Stephen Fontenot
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Preliminary team standings are available here.
Jonah Greenthal
sumukh1
Kimahri

Post by sumukh1 »

We played LASA C as our last round. We were both 6-3 before. LASA did awesomely as a school though!
Last edited by sumukh1 on Sat May 28, 2011 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sumukh Sridhara
Mission San Jose High
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

jonah wrote:Preliminary team standings are available here.
Updated — now with points per bonus. Also available:
Team standings for small schools only
Individual stats
Jonah Greenthal
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

Also, the Sunday playoff bracket! These will be updated throughout the day.
Harry White

Will run stats for food
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Two observations.

One, the PPB is way way up from years prior and that is awesome.

Two, it's amazing to see the quality teams that did not qualify for the playoffs: Charter A, Walt Whitman, Santa Monica, Ransom Everglades, Culver A, the list goes on.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
kayli
Auron

Post by kayli »

Ransom Everglades probably had the hardest road to get to the playoffs. They passed through both Maggie Walker and State College and lost very close to Pensacola in the last game. They should probably be in the playoffs but the luck of the draw prevented them I guess.
Kay, Chicago.
etchdulac
Rikku

Post by etchdulac »

Some of the seeds in the standings changed slightly in that last release. Does the playoff bracket google doc need to be revised to match the new standings?
Stephen Fontenot
AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

Post by AlphaQuizBowler »

Why are the teams being seeded by PPG instead of PPB?
William
Alpharetta High School '11
Harvard '15
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

AlphaQuizBowler wrote:Why are the teams being seeded by PPG instead of PPB?
To my knowledge, NAQT has always seeded by PPG. Additionally, PPG has advantages over PPB, such as being easier to confirm the accuracy of within the span of a tournament (Cistercian was knocked out of title contention at the Texas NAQT championship this past year due to an issue with the accuracy of PPB).
Fred Morlan
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

And just for the sake of precision, teams are being seeded on points per twenty tossups (or effectively points per tossup) to avoid deleterious effects from same games going deeper into the packet.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

etchdulac wrote:Some of the seeds in the standings changed slightly in that last release. Does the playoff bracket google doc need to be revised to match the new standings?
They playoff Google doc is now (hopefully) correct.
Harry White

Will run stats for food
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

It might have to go back. Looking at those numbers, they don't make any sense as PPT or PP20T. I think that column might be total bonus points (used to find the next column, PPB).
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
master15625
Rikku

Post by master15625 »

I was just wondering if there were 24 TU's per packet instead of 26 TU's? It seemed like that on the live stream.

If it did decrease, did they decrease the number because the increased number of rounds?
Neil Gurram
'10 DCDS
'15 MIT
'16 MIT
Stained Diviner
Auron

I think the number of rounds is the same--one more on Saturday and one fewer on Sunday, going from 15 and 11 to 16 and 10. There were more byes on Saturday were because of limitations on hotel rooms and/or staffers available, and the fewer byes on Sunday are because they improved their playoff scheme. The number of match rooms increased from 67 to 70 this year, but that's a smaller percentage increase than the number of teams, which went from 200 to 224.
David Reinstein
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

master15625 wrote:I was just wondering if there were 24 TU's per packet instead of 26 TU's? It seemed like that on the live stream.

If it did decrease, did they decrease the number because the increased number of rounds?
The packets are now 24/24, and there are 27 packets total (I believe there were 26 last year and the year before). Pretty sure Round 27 is the "emergency packet".
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
etchdulac
Rikku

Sunday Match Tracker

Post by etchdulac »

Round 17 is complete on the playoff spreadsheet. Whoever constructed this file is a saint.
Stephen Fontenot
etchdulac
Rikku

Post by etchdulac »

The winners' bracket round-of-16 matchups:

Dorman A - duPont Manual A
Northmont A - Thomas Jefferson A
Seven Lakes A - LASA B