Alabama High School Beta Club State Convention - Quiz Bowl

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

Alabama High School Beta Club State Convention - Quiz Bowl

Post by AndyShootsAndyScores »

To get a preview of what to anticipate, is anyone from quiz bowl teams in Alabama going to this? If anyone has already gone to it, what can I expect at this?
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
University of Alabama, '12
DVader
Wakka

Post by DVader »

Out of curiosity, were you or any of your team members at the 2001 National Junior Beta Club Convention because I seem to recall that Lee had a Beta Club trophy from that year on his shelf in his classroom? I was there on the Rosa Scott Middle School team out of Mississippi. We got 2nd that year and 1st in 2002. I've only heard about Alabama's Middle School Convention and there I think they did a written test then the top four played each other in a playoff type situation but no idea about high school. SW Trivia Question: In the novelization of the first Star Wars movie, what was the call sign for the stormtrooper whose uniform Luke wore on the Death Star (Yes, I know that off the top of my head)? Bonus if you remember the call sign in the movie.
David John Gagne,
University of Oklahoma
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Small world, David... You were the team that beat us (Union Grove Jr. High at that time) and caused us to get third place. That's funny.

Andy wasn't on that team (as he would've been in 5th grade), but Myles was on that team.

-Lee
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

Post by AndyShootsAndyScores »

No I wasn't on that team. I know the call sign in the movie but not the book. In the movie it was TK421. I'm going to go out on a limb and say TK421 again for the book. My question to you: in Star Wars VI: Return of the Jedi, what is the name of the band playing in Jabba the Hutt's palace? Also, send me an email answering mine and asking a new question to [email protected]. I'd hate to fill up a forum about Beta Club with Star Wars trivia.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
University of Alabama, '12
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

It was TK421 in the movie; wasn't it THX 1138 in the book (backhanded reference to Lucas' previous movie)?

I won't spoil the other question. :)

And don't worry as far as filling up a forum, me and Weiner once spent an entire thread arguing about the relative merits of Star Wars novels.
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
DVader
Wakka

Post by DVader »

Yeah, that's correct.
David John Gagne,
University of Oklahoma