Southern California Date Claim 2011-2012

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
the cactus
Lulu

Southern California Date Claim 2011-2012

Post by the cactus »

UCSD is reserving the following dates:

Oct 8 -- JV only tournament

Nov 12 -- Varsity tournament (with a JV division if there's enough interest)
Vicky Hwang
MSJ 07-10
UCSD 10-?
cvdwightw
Auron

Re: Southern California Date Claim 2011-2012

Post by cvdwightw »

Traditional date areas (with suggested dates in parentheses):

Fall
UCLA's TWAIN is usually in early October. (October 1?)
Triton Fall is usually in mid-November (November 12 claim)
Caltech's fall HS tournament is usually in mid-November (November 19?).
UCI's CBCT is usually in late October/early November (October 22?).

Winter
UCI's Baby Anteater is usually the last weekend in January (January 28?)
Arcadia's Carnal Embrace is usually in mid-February (February 4 or 11?)
UCSD's Triton Bowl is usually in mid-February (whatever late February weekend isn't ACF Regionals?)
La Jolla's Rocket Surgery has been in late February/early March (March 3?)

Spring
State Champs is usually in late March/early April. Due to a confluence of bad dates, it's likely to be either April 21 or April 28 unless a high school picks up the bid and moves it to late March. (Because of this, it's unlikely that WCI will find an acceptable date to run. We're working on a replacement.)

So I count 8 "established" (have run for the past 2+ years) varsity tournaments, plus Baby Anteater and the UCSD JV tournament, on the calendar. Teams running those events should claim tentative dates.

My impression is that we can probably fit in another 5 tournaments or so (at the very least, early December, mid-January, two in March/April, May after AP tests, unless someone moves from their "traditional" date into one of these slots) without having some sort of "quizbowl death march." Usually one of those dates is taken by UCLA and another by a high school (Torrey Pines last year).

Anyway, that's my very tentative idea of how next year's tournament schedule is going to shape up.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

We'll probably use October 1st as TWAIN now that UCSD is taking the 8th... Not sure what else UCLA will host, but probably 1 HS tournament per quarter.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

We'll be updating the schedule at www.socalquizbowl.org, so feel free to use that as sort of an omnibus site to direct potential teams towards if they're looking for a complete calender.

I also started a Twitter feed that will post results and updates throughout the year, starting with nationals this year: www.twitter.com/socalqb. Let me know what you think of it. I may try to post a question of the week (if not day) to try to stir up some followers, ideally at schools that don't know much about quizbowl or amongst the education beat reporters.
Chris C.
Past: UGA/UCSD/Penn
Present: Solano County, CA
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

Teams that are planning to host tournaments in the fall should get in touch with either me or Dwight as we're putting together a preliminary schedule that we hope to send out to all the West Coast contacts that we have. It will also be up on SoCalQuizbowl.org.

We're also planning to send out a survey to get feedback from teams in the region to help plan a couple of events in the future. Look forward to that your team's mailboxes soon.
Chris C.
LucasBrown
Lulu

Post by LucasBrown »

To make things a little clearer...

Code: Select all

DATES  TESTS   TOURNEYS (LOCATION)
03-09
10-09  ACT
17-09
24-09

01-10  SAT(2)  TWAIN (UCLA)
02-10          Early Autumn College Novice (UCLA)
08-10          Triton Novice (UCSD)
15-10  PSAT
22-10  ACT     MAGNI (UCSD); CBCT (UCI)
29-10

05-11  SAT(2)
12-11          Triton Fall (UCSD)
19-11          Technophobia Jr. (Caltech)?
26-11

03-12  SAT(2)
10-12  ACT
17-12

07-01
14-01          Nat'l History Bee & Bowl (UCI)
21-01
28-01  SAT(2)  Baby Anteater (UCI)?

04-02          Carnal Embrace (Arcadia HS)?
11-02  ACT     Carnal Embrace (Arcadia HS)?
18-02          Triton Winter (UCSD)?
25-02          Triton Winter (UCSD)?  Rocket Surgery (La Jolla HS)?

03-03          Rocket Surgery (La Jolla HS)?
10-03  SAT     West Coast Initational(?)
11-03          West Coast Regional Championships (?)
17-03
24-03
31-03          NAQT ICT (Chicago)

07-04
14-04  ACT
21-04          State Championships (?)?
28-04          State Championships (?)?

05-05  SAT(2)
12-05
19-05
26-05
All dates are the Saturdays from September 2011 through May 2012, excepting the two straddling Christmas, and with a couple Sundays added in.

I'm basing this on what's posted so far here and at socalquizbowl.org, and it may or may not be updated as new information comes in.
Lucas Brown
Rancho Bernardo 2011
Caltech 2015

Every day is finals day.
"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." --Michelangelo Buonarroti
Coldblueberry
Lulu

Post by Coldblueberry »

Torrey Pines' tournament will be on February 25th.
Last edited by Coldblueberry on Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Justin
Torrey Pines '12
Princeton '16
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Hi all,
NHBB finally got a SoCal host site lined up tonight at Whitney HS near LA. We'd be interested in doing a second tournament in the San Diego area too, if we can find a host. I do need some guidance on dates, though. A number of weekends in the Jan. 28-Mar. 24 window for when we'd like to run one or two tournaments have more than one weekend assigned to a one tournament. Can I get a better sense from someone in the area as to what weekends are good and which are bad and which are maybes?
Thanks.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

I still have not heard anything from Caltech about whether or not Technophobia is happening, and I don't have the faintest idea how the rumor that it was on Dec. 3 got started.

Has anyone from the area bid for NAQT State Champs yet? Unless any other bids came in before the deadline, Chris and I are going to probably postpone or revamp WCI and try to use that Saturday to try to run the best possible State Championships (logistically, publicity-wise, etc.) instead of trying to write a whole tournament basically on our own - in fact, we would be doing this now if I hadn't forgotten about submitting the bid after being blocked by a bad link last month. Sorry Chris.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

No one has bid for the southern California state championship. Interested parties should email me.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Balboa
Lulu

Post by Balboa »

cvdwightw wrote:I still have not heard anything from Caltech about whether or not Technophobia is happening, and I don't have the faintest idea how the rumor that it was on Dec. 3 got started.
It was on the http://www.socalquizbowl.org/tournament-calendar/ scheduled for December 3rd until very recently when it disappeared. I swear I'm not making this up.
Andrew Wang
Arcadia High School '12
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Balboa wrote:
cvdwightw wrote:I still have not heard anything from Caltech about whether or not Technophobia is happening, and I don't have the faintest idea how the rumor that it was on Dec. 3 got started.
It was on the http://www.socalquizbowl.org/tournament-calendar/ scheduled for December 3rd until very recently when it disappeared. I swear I'm not making this up.
Okay, I think I figured out what happened with that - either it was on, then off, the NAQT site, or I didn't see it when I was trying to verify this fall's NAQT tournaments. I'll put it back on but repeated e-mails to Caltech about, well, everything in the past two weeks have gone unanswered.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

bqtsui
Lulu

Post by bqtsui »

UCSD would like to tentatively reserve 1/21/2012 for our annual Winter tournament. We may move the tournament to another weekend if a slot opens up for us.

We'll announce more details about our tournament later.
Brian Tsui
MSJHS '09
UCSD '13
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

NHBB is claiming March 3 as the date for our Southern California tournament at Whitney High School in Cerritos, CA (in LA County, on the border with Orange County). This will be the lone Southern California high school tournament for this year, and is slated to run on B set. We hope you will be able to join us!
Also, please note that the Jan. 14 tournament originally scheduled for Irvine has been cancelled due to room issues, and it should be deleted from the SoCal tournament webpage and replaced with this new date and site.
Thanks!
David Madden
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
IrvineQuizBowl
Kimahri

Post by IrvineQuizBowl »

It would be wise for UCI to move Baby Anteaters to 1/29/2012 and Arcadia to choose 2/4/2012 for their tournaments as those are the days of the SAT and ACT, respectively.
Benjamin Chiang
Irvine '13
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

So some have objected to March 3 for NHBB, since it conflicts with Ocean Science Bowl or whatever. How do March 4, 10, Feb. 18, and Mar. 17 look at the moment? With the March 17 date, I'm concerned about that being only 6 weeks out of our nationals. March 4 might work well, but would teams be cool with a Sunday? Let me know by posting here. Thanks.
David Madden
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

March 10 is almost certainly State Champs weekend (we'll have an announcement once Chris finalizes the location, I think).

About 1 tournament a year has historically been held on a Sunday down here, so it's not like it's unprecedented or anything.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

kcinvincibleman
Lulu

Post by kcinvincibleman »

MARCH 4TH [please]

Latin students have CARCER on March 3rd as well.

- Alex Jow and Kevin Huang
University High School History Bowl Team

Please bear in mind that board policy forbids multiple people from using the same account. -the mgmt
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Our tournament is going to need to stand on March 3. But I want to give SoCal students an extra opportunity to compete and qualify for Nationals, so this is an open call for a school that could host a small event - bowl only (we'd limit it to like 14 teams, max) after school from 4pm-8pm. That way we could get 7 matches in and have a legit second Bowl. I'm open to doing this any day after school in Feb. or March. All we would need are 7 classrooms. Could some school perhaps offer that?
David Madden
Balboa
Lulu

Post by Balboa »

As of now I have scheduled Carnal Embrace on February 18th.
Andrew Wang
Arcadia High School '12
Smuttynose Island
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Smuttynose Island »

Balboa wrote:As of now I have scheduled Carnal Embrace on February 18th.
As much as I am a fan of Tom Stoppard works, I suggest that you consider changing the name of your tournament. The implied sexual nature of your tournament name may not go down well with some coaches, thus resulting in their teams not attending. For a more in-depth discussion of this you should read last year's discussion on Charter's proposed "TItiES. http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... ie#p195946
Daniel Hothem
TJHSST '11 | UVA '15 | Oregon '??
"You are the stuff of legends" - Chris Manners
https://sites.google.com/site/academicc ... ubuva/home
davud363000
Lulu

Post by davud363000 »

Smuttynose Island wrote:
As much as I am a fan of Tom Stoppard works, I suggest that you consider changing the name of your tournament. The implied sexual nature of your tournament name may not go down well with some coaches, thus resulting in their teams not attending. For a more in-depth discussion of this you should read last year's discussion on Charter's proposed "TItiES. http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... ie#p195946
I actually disagree. The tournament has been running under the name Carnal Embrace for several years and attendance has always been decent.
David Hu
Rancho Bernardo HS '12
highwind
Lulu

Post by highwind »

Can we keep Carnal Embrace on Feb. 11? There is California All-State Orchestra on Feb. 18. Thanks.
- Alex Jow

University High School
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

Unfortunately, there are lots of conflicts all the time out here. Many San Diego area kids have youth orchestra most Saturdays, there's science bowl and ocean science bowl to consider, etc. What we need are schools to host more tournaments more weekends so that players and teams can pick and choose. If people want to step forward and host, I'm sure there'd be plenty of assistance in helping.

I would like for the schedule next year to be better defined further in advance so teams can prepare and so we can advertise a full schedule in our mailings to new teams; perhaps we should have some kind of SoCalQB online gathering to help plan out the schedule for next year come May/June.

UCSD is claiming May 12th for our Triton Spring/PreNats warmup. Questions TBD, but we'll likely try for Prison Bowl.

I'm also sending out an email to try nail down a good SoCal championship location ASAP.
Chris C.
highwind
Lulu

Post by highwind »

I'm aware that many people have several other time commitments. However, I'm simply asking if the move for Arcadia's Carnal Embrace back to Feb. 11 (which was the original tentative date) was okay. If not, that's fine too, but I'm just simply asking if this is a possibility. Sorry for any confusion.
- Alex Jow

University High School
Balboa
Lulu

Post by Balboa »

highwind wrote:I'm aware that many people have several other time commitments. However, I'm simply asking if the move for Arcadia's Carnal Embrace back to Feb. 11 (which was the original tentative date) was okay. If not, that's fine too, but I'm just simply asking if this is a possibility. Sorry for any confusion.
The reason we had to change it to the 18th was because three of the seniors on our team including me will be unavailable on the 11th and I doubt the underclassmen on my team can run a tournament by themselves.

As has been said already, any Saturday is going to have conflicts with someone's schedule. If multiple schools tell me the 18th is a problem I might consider pushing it back another week or two but it's unfeasible for us to hold it on the 11th.
Andrew Wang
Arcadia High School '12
bchiang
Lulu

Post by bchiang »

Irvine High's Winter Formal dance is on the night of the 18th; will the tournament end early enough for us to return to Irvine?
Benjamin Chiang
Irvine 2013
highwind
Lulu

Post by highwind »

Is there any way Arcadia's tournament can be moved to a later date? Thanks.
- Alex Jow

University High School
highwind
Lulu

Post by highwind »

And would La Jolla mind moving its Rocket Surgery Tournament to Sunday, March 11th since March 10th is an SAT I date, similar to what UCLA's TWAIN did in October? Like October, March is another one of the most popular dates for SAT test-takers, so I think it would allow for the most teams to show up.
- Alex Jow

University High School
Balboa
Lulu

Post by Balboa »

bchiang wrote: Irvine High's Winter Formal dance is on the night of the 18th; will the tournament end early enough for us to return to Irvine?
Barring unforeseen delays, the tournament should be over by around 4:00.
Andrew Wang
Arcadia High School '12
highwind
Lulu

Post by highwind »

University High School would like to tentatively schedule a SoCal History Bowl and Bee Regional Competition at University High School on 2/11/12. We will be running on the official A set. More information and updates can be found on the Tournament Announcements section of hsquizbowl.org

We hope you can join us for a fun and competitive day of History Bowl!
- Alex Jow

University High School
highwind
Lulu

Post by highwind »

The History Bowl/Bee A Set Tournament at University High School has been confirmed to be on 2/11/12 (moved from 2/13/12). We hope you can join us for a fun and competitive day of History Bowl/Bee. The tournament is a NHBB national qualifier. Thanks, and hope to you see there!
- Alex Jow

University High School
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Echoing what Alex said, we're really hoping to get a second tournament off the ground in Southern California this year at University on Feb 11. It seems as if there are fewer quizbowl tournaments going on this year in general, so perhaps NHBB can try and pick up the slack. Can anyone interested in attending please let me know if they'd like to come? Also, would teams be more likely to come if this were on A set or C set? Torrey Pines? La Jolla? Arcadia? Rancho Bernardo? Everyone else? We'd love to have you give NHBB a shot!!!
David Madden
highwind
Lulu

Post by highwind »

Registration is now open at http://www.historybowl.com/regionalsite/san-diego-area/. Just click on "Register Here!" on the left sidebar, select our tournament, and sign up with the number of teams you want to participate. Registration will be open until 2/10/12. We hope you can join us for a fun NHBB tournament!
- Alex Jow

University High School
bchiang
Lulu

Post by bchiang »

Irvine is looking to potentially host a tournament the weekend after AP testing but before HSNCT. Could we tentatively reserve May 19th, 2012, thanks

Edit: Date changed to April 7th, 2012
Last edited by bchiang on Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Benjamin Chiang
Irvine 2013
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

La Jolla has won the bid for the SoCal state championships. They will be hosting it on March 10th at La Jolla High. More details to come at SoCalQB.
Chris C.
Balboa
Lulu

Post by Balboa »

cchiego wrote:La Jolla has won the bid for the SoCal state championships. They will be hosting it on March 10th at La Jolla High. More details to come at SoCalQB.
Now that La Jolla is hosting State Champs, is Rocket Surgery still going to happen? If not, is UCLA going to host another tournament then, since they've been the hosts for State Champs for the past few years? Is West Coast Invitational going to happen this year? I ask all these questions because I'd like to get some more practice between March 10 and Nationals, and right now there doesn't seem to be anything at all scheduled. A quizbowl-less April in Southern California would definitely not help our teams make a strong showing in Atlanta or St. Louis.
Andrew Wang
Arcadia High School '12
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

The will be no West Coast Invitational. I thought that had been made clear a number of times, but apparently it hasn't sunk in yet.

I know both Canyon Crest and Westview are in the market for hosting tournaments in April or May. UCSD will likely host another too. It would be great if people would be better about getting announcements up sooner, but many of these teams are fairly new to hosting. Next year we'll likely try to coordinate some kind of date claim early on so that people can plan out their schedules better.
Chris C.
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

Sad as it is, UCLA quizbowl is pretty much dead. We haven't really been able to recruit new people, and old people that once were able to come (including myself) no longer have the time during the week. We were lucky to get 5 people to a practice/meeting.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Balboa
Lulu

Post by Balboa »

cchiego wrote: I know both Canyon Crest and Westview are in the market for hosting tournaments in April or May. UCSD will likely host another too.
Well that's good, and I know North Hollywood is interested in hosting as well.
Andrew Wang
Arcadia High School '12
Mewto55555
Tidus

Post by Mewto55555 »

If you guys are trying to pick a set, LIST II hasn't been mirrored in the area yet!
Max
formerly of Ladue, Chicago
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

After some discussion, UCSD will stick with our May 12th date claim. We understand that it's in the middle of APs, but it also seems to be devoid of other events and we'll try to accommodate teams getting more sleep by moving back the start time. At this point, we will try to use BHSAT but may add another division on an easier set if we get enough demand. More details to come soon.

At this point, teams should start claiming specific dates. Here's what I see so far, though no date is perfect:

April 7th- Irvine
April 14th- OPEN (State Sci Olymp)
April 21st- Westview claim on Sunday (22nd)
April 28th- OPEN (History Bowl Nationals)
May 5th- OPEN (SAT)
May 12th- OPEN (APs)
May 19th- Triton Spring
May 26th- HSNCT

Teams interested in hosting: North Hollywood, Westview, Canyon Crest
Last edited by cchiego on Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chris C.
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

With Irvine giving up their claim for May 19th, we've moved in to claim that for Triton Spring. This opens up the 12th for any teams considering.
Chris C.
Jason Cheng
Rikku

Post by Jason Cheng »

Just a question about the 3/10/12 SoCal state champs:

Since they were the only not-yet-qualified team to make top bracket, Arcadia C should have qualified regardless of other factors, right?
HSNCT Qualification Rules:2. Finishing as the highest-placed team at an NAQT State Championship or NAQT State Qualifier that had not qualified for the HSNCT prior to the state tournament. Therefore every NAQT State Championship/Qualifier will always qualify at least one new team for the HSNCT (unless every team in attendance had already qualified). Of course, the top 15% of the field at a State Championship (or State Qualifier) will qualify normally. If the top not-yet-qualified team is from a school that has already qualified one or more teams for the HSNCT, that school will receive an additional bid, even if those other teams did not finish in the top 15% at the state championship itself.
edit: added reasoning
Jason Cheng
Arcadia High School 2013
UCSD 2017
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

There are still a few available dates if any schools are thinking about hosting. If schools need help with hosting, please let us know sooner rather than later so we can help out with tournament organization and ensure a good experience for all teams.

Also, I've updated my rankings for SoCal just in time for the Spring. I'll do one more pre-nationals one, perhaps with more statistics, in May.
Chris C.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

DJCocoPuffs wrote:Since they were the only not-yet-qualified team to make top bracket, Arcadia C should have qualified regardless of other factors, right?
If Arcadia C was indeed the only not-yet-qualified team in the highest bracket, then yes, they are now qualified.

That being said, I have not yet seen stats from this tournament, so I cannot confirm placement or qualification status right now.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred