Fall Novice Tournament at Ohio State

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
powerplant
Wakka

Fall Novice Tournament at Ohio State

Post by powerplant »

The Ohio State University Academic Team is pleased to announce our mirror of the Fall Novice Tournament, slated for October 15, 2011 at Ohio State’s beautiful Columbus campus.

Registration

The tournament will use the following fee structure:

Base fee: $40
Buzzer discount: $-5
Staff discount: $-10
Each discount can be used once.

Registration can be achieved by sending me an e-mail simply stating that your school is coming, including details such as how many teams and buzzers you are planning on bringing.

Method of Payment

All teams should pay by the date of the tournament, unless something unforeseen happens that is explained to the Tournament Director. The preferred method of payment is in-person by cash or check during check-in on the day of the tournament, but we will also accept checks by mail ahead of time. Please e-mail me for the mailing address if that is your team’s preferred method of payment.

Questions

We will be using the Fall Novice tournament set being written by college quizbowlers from all over the country. Each packet will contain 20 tossups and 20 3-part bonuses. To get an idea of what the set will be like, previous versions can be found at:

http://www.quizbowlpackets.com/archive/2010FNT/
and
http://www.quizbowlpackets.com/archive/09fallnovice/

Eligibility

Because this is a novice tournament, we are restricting entry into the field. Players who have played on teams in the HSNCT playoffs or who played on teams that converted 15 points per bonus or higher at any PACE NSC will be ineligible. Further, players who scored higher than 30 points per tossup heard at the HSNCT will be ineligible, regardless of how the team finished.

In addition, for all players who do meet these requirements, we ask that coaches use discretion. You know if your players are novices or not.

Tournament Format

We plan on using a standard ACF tournament model. Teams will be split into morning preliminary brackets, seeded for round robin playoff brackets after lunch. Exact details are contingent on field size.

You can officially register or ask me questions at [email protected]

I can’t wait to see you all there!
Joseph Wells

Garfield Heights High School '08
Centre College 2008-2010
Tri-C 2010-2011
Ohio State 2011-
Unicolored Jay
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: Fall Novice Tournament at Ohio State

Post by Unicolored Jay »

This negates the previous announcement. Buckeye Fall Tournament (our housewrite) will now be moved to sometime in the spring.
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee Health Science Center '21
The Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

This tournament happened. South Range went 10-0 and defeated Fisher Catholic A in the first game of an advantaged final.

We had to drastically change our schedule due to 4 teams not showing, but the teams that did show seemed to have a great time on very novice-appropriate set. Shout out to the FNT writers and editors; this is a good thing you are doing.

EDIT: Stats will be forthcoming.
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

Post by Red-necked Phalarope »

I know this was a novice-level tournament, but South Range looked absolutely ridiculous in the two games I saw/read for them. Watch out for them as a force in Ohio, especially a year or two from now.
Brice Russ
East Forsyth '04
UNC '08
Ohio State '13
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17