College Novice Mirror at UF (9/24)

Old college threads.
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

College Novice Mirror at UF (9/24)

Post by Jesus vs. Dragons »

The University of Florida, will be hosting a mirror of College Novice on Saturday, September 24, 2011. This tournament is accessible to all players, regardless of experience, and is aimed especially at new collegiate players in their freshman or sophomore years. I (Ethan Hewett) will be TDing, so any questions you may have can be sent to me at [email protected].

Location and Time: The tournament will begin at 10 AM on September 24, 2011 at the J. Wayne Reitz Union, with registration beginning at 9 AM. All rounds will be played on the second floor, with an introductory meeting taking place at 9:45.

Eligibility: The following eligibility requirements apply to everyone; special permission to play must be requested from the head editor Andrew Hart ([email protected]).
1. All ACF eligibility rules apply, except when they contradict the rules below.
2.This is a tournament for introducing collegiate novices to quizbowl. Consequently, no high school teams or players are eligible.
3. Anyone (who does not break Rules 1 or 2) who has never played quizbowl before is automatically eligible. Other academic competition does not count as quizbowl for this rule.
4. Players meeting one or more of the following criteria must apply to the head editor for special permission to play:
i. If you have already completed your second year of college (calculated from time in college, not credits). Time in a post-secondary high school program does not count.
ii. If you were ever on a playoff or top-bracket team at NAQT HSNCT or PACE NSC.
iii. If you have ever scored at least 30 points per game at any college tournament.
iv. If you have ever won any college tournament.
5. Anyone who does not fall into any of the four categories listed in Rule 4 is automatically eligible to play.

Costs and Discounts:
Base fee: $15/player ($60 for a 4-player team) I will cap the price at 60 dollars, so
Buzzer: -$5
Moderator: -$10
Travel: -$10 if over 200 miles by Google maps

Registration: Contact me at [email protected] to register a team. Registration will begin at 9 AM, with an expected starting time of 10 AM. This means I would like every team to be registered and checked in by 9:45 with time left for a short introduction and to answer any questions.

Field:
Valencia (4 teams)
Chipola (2 teams)
Florida Gateway College (1 teams)
North Florida CC (1 team)
College of Central Florida (3 teams)
Auburn (1 team)
State College of Florida (1 teams)
Judson College (1 team)
South Florida CC (1 team)
UF House Teams (1 team)

Buzzers:
State College of Florida (2)
Valencia (1-2)
Chipola (2)
Central Florida (2)
Judson College (1)
Last edited by Jesus vs. Dragons on Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:31 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

Re: College Novice Mirror at UF (9/24)

I would really like to get some teams from 4-year schools to come play this. Does anyone have contact info for U of Miami?
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Start with Nevin Shapiro, c/o Federal Prison, Atlanta.

But seriously, I don't think they've had a program since the late 80s. I wonder if any FCCAA alumni are there.
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

ValenciaQBowl wrote:Start with Nevin Shapiro, c/o Federal Prison, Atlanta.

But seriously, I don't think they've had a program since the late 80s. I wonder if any FCCAA alumni are there.
I know Jay Sridhar used to play for them, as recently as 2005-6.
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

I remember getting a couple e-mails from Jay, but I don't recall them ever showing up to a tournament. USF and FSU seem to be moribund right now, too.
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
mhawlik
Lulu

Post by mhawlik »

Apparently some former Walter Johnson player named Ashu Joshi goes to UMiami, and misses playing quizbowl/might be interested in starting a team. Contact Raynell Cooper or Kuo-Kai Chin for his contact info/more info about that piece of intelligence.
Matthew Hoffer-Hawlik
Yale '13
Ransom Everglades School '09
Miami, Florida/New Haven, Connecticut
mhawlik
Lulu

Post by mhawlik »

Also, Jay's sister, Priya, still goes to UM, and was on my quizbowl team in high school; she may be worth contacting as well.
Matthew Hoffer-Hawlik
Yale '13
Ransom Everglades School '09
Miami, Florida/New Haven, Connecticut
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

So far the field is shaping up to include a lot of CC's and a few 4-year schools. I'm probably going to close registration on September 17th, so if you guys know of a team that would be interested in this tournament let them know soon!
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009
jmannor2
Wakka

Post by jmannor2 »

Thanks for hosting this tournament! We had a great time.
Joey Mannor
DAR High School '11
Auburn '15
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

Auburn won the tournament, going 8-1 with their only loss coming from a forfeit in the first round. Chipola A finished second with UF A and Chipola B finishing tied for third. Stats should be up some time soon. I want to thank everyone who came, especially Judson College and Auburn for traveling so far. It was awesome to have you guys come down.

Edit: Also, I would like to thank Dallin Kelson, Chris Borglum, Stan Young, Dr. Robert Dunkle, Cody Pickens, Carl Tubridy and Paul Kelson for reading, with Jason Kwong helping out in the control room and reading a couple of rounds. You guys were awesome and helped keep us on schedule.
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009
Kwang the Ninja
Rikku

Post by Kwang the Ninja »

Dallin Kelson
Chipola '11, UF '13
jmannor2
Wakka

Post by jmannor2 »

Kwang the Ninja wrote:stats
Shouldn't our first game count as a forfeit instead of straight zeroes? In kind of throws off all of our stats, both team and individual.
Joey Mannor
DAR High School '11
Auburn '15