ANNOUNCEMENT: Chicago Open 2011 (July 30, 2011)

Old college threads.
#1 Mercury Adept
Wakka

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Chicago Open 2011 (July 30, 2011)

Post by #1 Mercury Adept »

evilmonkey wrote:If you don't mark who got the tossup, I have no idea who got that third power that you didn't remember to include in your tally at the bottom. There are at least 4 instances where I had to just randomly attribute a power, ten, or neg to a player.
Yeah, I found myself forgetting to record who got the tossup a few times when I was reading. Luckily I remembered later…I think. I agree that a scoresheet that allows you to record both the points and the player in a single action would have been nice.

I'm sorry about not putting lines on my scoresheets, too – I figured it wasn't necessary to record which question number each thing happened on, but I might have been wrong about that.
M(ir)ia(m) Nussbaum
Former player for Ithaca High School, Cornell, MIT
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

Discussion of science has been moved to viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11862&p=222649#p222649
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

John, Matt, Mike, I've made the changes you noted. If anyone has the stats from the two final games, I'll gladly add them in.

Miriam: Hand-drawing lines onto scoresheets takes quite a bit of time that moderators generally aren't going to have, so that particular frustration wasn't directed at moderators. I was lucky enough to have the bye team read for me during the second round, which allowed me time to draw them myself.

On an unrelated note, if I were to work up conversion stats (i.e. 30-20-10-0 for each bonus, 15-10-0-(-5) for each TU) for each round, would anyone give those numbers more than a passing glance? As in, would someone actually use those numbers to critique individual questions? I got through the first two rounds while scorekeeping for a bye team member in a couple of rounds, and I think it would be potentially useful information, but I really don't want to spend more time on the data collection and presentation for the rest than others spend on the analysis.
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
University of Notre Dame '11
Texas A&M '15
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

evilmonkey wrote:On an unrelated note, if I were to work up conversion stats (i.e. 30-20-10-0 for each bonus, 15-10-0-(-5) for each TU) for each round, would anyone give those numbers more than a passing glance? As in, would someone actually use those numbers to critique individual questions? I got through the first two rounds while scorekeeping for a bye team member in a couple of rounds, and I think it would be potentially useful information, but I really don't want to spend more time on the data collection and presentation for the rest than others spend on the analysis.
I think this would certainly be interesting information if you were to be so kind as to do it, but I suspect it would take you a long time and probably not produce a great deal of discussion.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots »

evilmonkey wrote:John, Matt, Mike, I've made the changes you noted. If anyone has the stats from the two final games, I'll gladly add them in.

Miriam: Hand-drawing lines onto scoresheets takes quite a bit of time that moderators generally aren't going to have, so that particular frustration wasn't directed at moderators. I was lucky enough to have the bye team read for me during the second round, which allowed me time to draw them myself.

On an unrelated note, if I were to work up conversion stats (i.e. 30-20-10-0 for each bonus, 15-10-0-(-5) for each TU) for each round, would anyone give those numbers more than a passing glance? As in, would someone actually use those numbers to critique individual questions? I got through the first two rounds while scorekeeping for a bye team member in a couple of rounds, and I think it would be potentially useful information, but I really don't want to spend more time on the data collection and presentation for the rest than others spend on the analysis.
I'd be very interested in this kind of information.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Did Ryan just give the best and second best packet discount behind the scenes? I would be interested to know who won.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

Cheynem wrote:Did Ryan just give the best and second best packet discount behind the scenes? I would be interested to know who won.
We got the $25 discount somehow.
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Post by No Rules Westbrook »

Yeah, I gave the Peterson team the 25 dollar discount, and I gave noone the 50 dollar discount! - not necessarily cause everyone sucked, but because I couldn't decide who to pick initially, and I forgot to think about it in the course of running around that morning.

Although, I will say...prior to him pulling out, I told Jordan Palmer he could play for free, given the fact that he wrote a whole packet by himself for CO, and I appreciate that considerable effort.

In thinking about that discount, I do try to honestly weigh how pleased I was with a packet, given the reasonable expectations for it - without making it impossible for you to win just because you're a really good team whose packet should be polished.
Ryan Westbrook, no affiliation whatsoever.

I am pure energy...and as ancient as the cosmos. Feeble creatures, GO!

Left here since birth...forgotten in the river of time...I've had an eternity to...ponder the meaning of things...and now I have an answer!
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Post by No Rules Westbrook »

It's also possible that I gave a discount to the Peterson team just because I like that Will Cotton bonus part that I changed to Katy Perry, in order to bring that bonus down to somewhere near the realm of even difficulty.
Ryan Westbrook, no affiliation whatsoever.

I am pure energy...and as ancient as the cosmos. Feeble creatures, GO!

Left here since birth...forgotten in the river of time...I've had an eternity to...ponder the meaning of things...and now I have an answer!