Classical/Opera Name that Tune at Chicago Open

Old college threads.
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

Classical/Opera Name that Tune at Chicago Open

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

Hey all,

I am interested in writing a Classical/Opera name that tune competition for CO weekend. The format would be:

Round 1: Written test.

Round 2: Playoff. Top 10 people from Round 1 on buzzers.

Round 3: Finals. Top two people from round 2 on buzzers.

I'd like to know who would be interested. Also, any iinput on format, timing, etc would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric Kwartler
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

Sounds like an awesome idea!
My obvious piece of advice: just don't make it the same time as the Fine Arts Singles tournament, and you'll be all right.

--Billy Beyer
QuizBowlRonin
Wakka

Post by QuizBowlRonin »

You should decide whether or not to accept incomplete titles of works, composer only, tempos for movements, nicknames, key, etc. or award bonus points for additional topic.

e.g.

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's Symphony No. 40 in G minor, Kochel number 550, Movement 1, Allegro.

or

Catalog Aria, Act ? Scene ?, Don Giovanni, Kochel number 527, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Jason Paik
retired

WashU, UAB, Stanford
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

Did you mean to exclude non-operatic vocal music?

I hope not, since there are plenty of important and well-known oratorios, requiems, lieder, etc.

--BB
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

QuizBowlRonin wrote:You should decide whether or not to accept incomplete titles of works, composer only, tempos for movements, nicknames, key, etc. or award bonus points for additional topic.

e.g.

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's Symphony No. 40 in G minor, Kochel number 550, Movement 1, Allegro.

or

Catalog Aria, Act ? Scene ?, Don Giovanni, Kochel number 527, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
The answers will all be entire works. The answer would not be the Catalog Aria, it would be Mozart's Don Giovanni, even if I played the Catalog Aria. For a symphony "Mozart's 40th" would be sufficient, as would Beethoven's "Eroica." I will have all the opus/K numbers written down, but I will need the name of the work for points to be awarded.
wd4gdz wrote:Did you mean to exclude non-operatic vocal music?

I hope not, since there are plenty of important and well-known oratorios, requiems, lieder, etc.

--BB
No, I didn't. That is fair game as well.

-EK
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

Scheduling

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

The concert music name that tune will take place in two parts. The prelims will be during lunch on Saturday, while the playoffs will take place after the last match in the afternoon. Because the prelims will take 30 minutes out of your lunch time, I have decided to charge a 7 dollar entry fee that will include Giordano's pizza and soda. This is an everybody or nobody thing, since it will be too hard to coordinate otherwise. I will need you to send me an email at ekwartler at gmail dot com if you are interested in participating so I can manage logistics. I will also need to be paid either friday evening or saturday morning if you are planning on participating. Hope to see all of you there.

EK