PACE Information

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
quizbowllee
Auron

PACE Information

Post by quizbowllee »

Are there any plans to update the PACE website? I'd like to see the stats from last year. Also, is the 2005 date set in stone? We need to go ahead and make some plans... Especially since NAQT is the weekend before...
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

They're all there. T-Chuck changed the hosting site so maybe you're stuck seeing the old one.

http://www.pace-nsc.org
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Thanks. That did it. The link on this site's main page still links to the old site...
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

quizbowllee wrote:Thanks. That did it. The link on this site's main page still links to the old site...]
I've now taken care of that, thanks for the heads-up.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Thanks.... the new site has info about the NSC.

I am posting preliminary information about the fee structure here before updating it to the website (grant deadline and presentation is getting in the way).

Base entry fee (tentative announcement, still pending changes and information)
$350 per team
$50 discount for automatic bid per team (expires April 30, 2005)
$50 discount for each team that stays in the official hotel (Doubletree Universal, group code pending). Room rate is $99 per night for a single, double, or triple in our room block (40 rooms in our block so far).
$25 discount for bringing a buzzer system (use both days of the competition), maximum 3 buzzers.
$225 Minimum entry fee per team.

To register for the 2005 NSC, send me an email (for now).
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
First Chairman
Auron

Hotel information (revised 4/19)

Post by First Chairman »

Just to let you know I have finalized the group reservation for PACE at the Doubletree Hotel Orlando, 5780 Major Boulevard, Orlando FL 32819.

EDIT: Contact 1-800-222-TREE and request rooms as part of the "Valencia Community College PACE Quiz Bowl group."

We have 40 rooms (singles to quads) at a rate of $99 a night beginning Friday 6/10 and concluding Sunday 6/12/05 (so you can leave Monday). The group name is "Valencia Community College/PACE Quiz Bowl." Check-in time is 4pm each day, check-out is 11am.

Upon receipt of room confirmation, you can take the $50 discount for using the "official hotel." I am assuming the honor system for this case, so do not make me have to confirm every team.

The hotel is located just outside University Studios Florida.

We hope that you will all take advantage of using this official hotel, and we look forward to seeing you in June!
Last edited by First Chairman on Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Should we still try to use the Panasonic discount codes for airlines?
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

solonqb wrote:Should we still try to use the Panasonic discount codes for airlines?
Only based on my experience with airline code discounts, try to use them. I think they would apply if there aren't any other cheaper rates.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
blazer06
Lulu

Post by blazer06 »

so...pardon my ignorance, but how do you qualify for PACE; is it top 4, or top 8 at a tournament, or does that vary?
steven-lamp
Rikku

Post by steven-lamp »

I think you have to place in the top four at a PACE qualifying tournament. If you can't/don't do this, there are also at-large bids you can apply for based on national recognition and performance at other large tournaments.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Top 4 at any PACE-affiliated tournament, but each school has a limit of 2 bids (thus you could finish in the top 8 and be eligible for a bid).

(You could ask for a third bid in the event we have room in the field.)
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
mentalchocolate
Wakka

Post by mentalchocolate »

What is meant by the 26 in blazer06's avatar? A majority of states? And if so go Republicans. (Note the Republicans hold a majority in the House Senate and electoral votes (yes this means Bush is President).
crackerwithak
Lulu

Post by crackerwithak »

My guess would be state governors
blazer06
Lulu

Post by blazer06 »

Yeah, its state governors, current break is 22-28; I would say 50 too, as in houses of State Legislatures(there are only 99 state legislatures; Nebraska's is unicam and nonpartisan)...but that's a little too obscure.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Any idea when we might see the a list of PACE-invited teams so far? I'm just curious...

-Lee
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

quizbowllee wrote:Any idea when we might see the a list of PACE-invited teams so far? I'm just curious...

-Lee
I'd have to take some time and compile that list from posted results.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
First Chairman
Auron

Airline and rental car discount codes

Post by First Chairman »

This is from the PAC website:
Discount airfares are offered through Continental Airlines by calling Continental's MeetingWorks at 1-800-468-7022. Advise the agent of the Agreement Code: UMBLNE and Z Code: ZJGY. Auto rental discounts are offered through Avis Rent A Car Systems by calling 1-800-331-1600 and referring to Avis Worldwide Discount (AWD) No. J818358 or by visiting the Avis web site.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Another question: Are there any old PACE questions available for download and/or purchase? I'd like to start getting my team (and myself) used to the format.

Thanks.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
kws
Lulu

Post by kws »

This is from the PAC website:
That's Pansonic, not PACE, yes?
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Yes.

This is the preliminary list of teams. I'm sure I'm missing a few teams, but please email me.

Brindlee Mountain
Brookwood 2
Central Hardin
Culver Academy
Heritage 2
Mission San Jose
Raleigh Charter (?)
Solon (?)
Thomas Jefferson
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Dr. Chuck,

If we get there Friday and leave Sunday will there be enough time to take the team to Universal Studios? I don't know the schedule of the tournament, and I'd like to have some free time. If not, we may try and stay an extra day.

Also, is there somewhere we can get the questions from years past?

Thanks.

-Lee
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

My understanding is that matches will be played on Saturday and Sunday, so if you're there early Friday, you'll have that whole day to do Universal. The two parks (Universal actually comprises Universal Studios, with backstage junk, tours, and some rides, as well as Islands of Adventure, which is nearly all rides) are open from 9 am till 8 pm. And the restaurants and clubs at the front of the park, including Emeril's, Hard Rock, etc., are open at least till 11 pm.

Last year in Maryland the tournament finished by 4 pm or so, meaning if you don't leave till Monday, you could get some more time in Sunday evening.
APoikonen
Lulu

Post by APoikonen »

Does anybody know which campus of Valencia Community College that PACE will be held out? It appears that there are four different campuses. Also, how far is the college from the "official" tournament hotel?
NotBhan
Rikku

Post by NotBhan »

[obsolete -- nothing to see here. --RD]
Last edited by NotBhan on Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

OK - I've asked this a few times, but it always seems to get buried before I get a reply. So - here goes again:

Is there anywhere I can download/buy/trade/otherwise GET questions from PACE tournaments of years past?

-Lee
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Dan Greenstein
Yuna

Post by Dan Greenstein »

Yes, the 2005 PACE NSC will take place at the West campus of Valencia Community College. The campus is 3.2 miles north on Kirkman Road from the official hotel, the Doubletree, which itself is across the street from the Universal Studios complex. I am not aware of any public transportation or shuttles between the hotel and the campus (maybe Mr. Borglum can fill us in on that), and it appears there are not many eating establishments within walking distance of the campus, so it would probably be a good idea to rent a car.

As for old PACE question sets, I will talk to Dr. Chuck about getting some up on the website.
mentalchocolate
Wakka

Post by mentalchocolate »

:kenj:
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

As Dan wrote earlier, the tournament will be at Valencia's West Campus, which is at 1800 S. Kirkman Rd., Orlando, FL, 32810. The Doubletree is walking distance to a TGI Friday's and, I think, a Bennigan's; however, there is no shuttle to the campus, so a car will be necessary. Worse, Valencia last year got rid of its 15-passenger vans, so we don't have any way to do any informal shuttling, either.

Again, feel free to direct any logistical or Orlando questions to me at [email protected]
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

You are entitled to all the former NSC sets at no additional cost once you register for the tournament.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

To register for the tournament, you need to email me to be included in the mailing list. I'll subscribe you to our closed Yahoogroup, and the files which you seek will be there (in the Files section, all zipped files).
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

To much fanfare, I have finally updated the website. Sorry about the delay. Those who know realize how busy and distracted things are for me right now, so I appreciate your patience with this.

Officially calling for teams for the second time!
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
First Chairman
Auron

Rosters and T-shirts

Post by First Chairman »

ROSTERS DUE MAY 15:
This is the first official call for rosters for all teams that intend to compete at the 2005 NSC. The following information is needed from all teams:

1) For each student:
First name (or preferred name)
Last name
Grade level in 2004-2005
College to be attended for graduating seniors
Years as a previous PACE NSC participant
T-shirt size (see below)
* While you may opt to designate a captain, it is not necessary. You can also change rosters on-site before the first game is played.

2) For each coach or chaperone:
First name (or preferred name)
Last name
Affiliation with school
T-shirt size (see below)

3) A photograph JPEG format of the team members, preferably with coaches. Please caption the photograph so I don't make wild speculations. :cool:

T-SHIRT PRE-ORDERS:
As extra incentive for submitting rosters on time, PACE is making T-shirts for participants for the 2005 NSC. Currently we are planning on providing shirts to all students listed on submitted rosters and a coach (up to 7 per registered TEAM). Any extra T-shirts could be purchased (preferably in advance) for $10 each, though we are working on the details for that.

I presume that the bulk of our orders will be "large" or "extra large", so those of you with "medium" or "extra extra large" builds should let us know through the pre-order process.

We are taking all T-shirt pre-orders until Sunday, May 15.

As it stands, send all rosters and sizes to me (Dr. Chuck) by email. As soon as I receive that, I will then send out an invoice for your team (should you require it to process your check).

EXTRA:
Finally, PACE announces one change in the procedure for All-Scholars team selection. We have traditionally selected 8 individuals for all-star status, with a minimum of 4 individuals voted in based upon statistics and the other 4 by vote.

This year, the four all-stars selected by statistics will be determined based on preliminary round results only and will be announced on Sunday. That way, all teams and staff can exclude those four individuals when making their choices to be on the all-star team. This should make the balloting process much easier.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
jewtemplar
Wakka

Post by jewtemplar »

Dr. Chuck,
To what email should we send questions about bids? Do you still check etchuck at yahoo ?
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

That's the correct address.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

The current list of registered teams is now posted at http://www.pace-nsc.org/ under Qualified/Invited Teams. If you have been omitted from this list, please contact me.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
DVader
Wakka

Post by DVader »

The Alabama School of Fine Arts is not on the list and we qualified twice and registered but haven't sent money or roster yet.
David John Gagne,
University of Oklahoma
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Okay... just email me on number of teams and buzzers.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

Is there any other way to see the results to last year's PACE? Whenever I try to access them, it tells me to download something for XP. Seeing as how I don't have XP, I can't see them.
Nick, IU and Aegis Questions
NRScout98
Lulu

Post by NRScout98 »

Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

You're my hero.

Thanks.
Nick, IU and Aegis Questions
No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

Going through those scores again brought back memories... but also was a pain in the rear. Does PACE plan on using SQBS this year?
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Alabama School for Fine Arts, one team
Brindlee Mountain High School (Alabama), two teams
Brookwood High School (Georgia), two teams
Centennial High School (Maryland), one team (tentative)
Central Hardin High School (Kentucky), one team
Culver Academy (Indiana), one team
Fort Mill High School (South Carolina), one team
Gonzaga High School (District of Columbia), one team
Hardee Senior High School (Florida), one team
Heritage High School (Georgia), two teams
Misson San Jose High School (California), one team
Solon High School (Ohio), one team
State College Area High School (Pennsylvania), two teams
Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology (Virginia), two teams

Is this field final? If so, isn't it a tad smaller than years' past?
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Dan Greenstein
Yuna

Post by Dan Greenstein »

That was our tournament field as of April 19, which was noted on the page. We have yet to hear from many of the usual suspects; a few more teams have likely registered in the last two weeks; and we expect several more teams to register in the next few weeks.
First Chairman
Auron

Tentative daily schedule

Post by First Chairman »

This is similar to the schedules we have used in the past, but they can be altered depending on logistical constraints).

Saturday
8am to 9:30 am registration (Building 5, Room 111)
10 am team meeting
11:00 am Preliminary Matches (1-3, assume 45 min between matches)
1:00 pm Lunch break
2:30 pm Preliminary Matches resume (4-7)
5:30 pm Tiebreakers as needed
Awards ceremony (Cooper awards and other special awards)
(Building 5, Room 111)
8:00 pm Business meeting (PACE upper-level staff only)

Sunday
7:30 am announcements and setup (consolation rounds, 4
All-star members selected, at Building 5, Room 111)
8:30 am Playoff rounds begin (5 matches)
8:45 am Consolation rounds begin (4-5 matches depending on field)
12:15 pm Tiebreakers as needed / Lunch break /
All-star ballots due for remaining 4 positions
2:00 pm Semifinal rounds
2:45 pm Championship round
3:30 pm All-Star Game, Awards Ceremony to Follow

We do have trophies for Consolation Group winners (overall 1st and 2nd), and the set-up will depend on the number of teams electing to participate on Sunday. Entry fee will NOT be pro-rated if you decide not to participate on Sunday.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Field update? RM will be bringing one team
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

I've updating the website. We're at 31 teams. We need more buzzers. :)
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
quizbowlmike
Lulu

Post by quizbowlmike »

If you get in a jam and dont have enough, just let me know and I can probably get 3-5 buzzers and a few college readers from UF.

-Doug
My views in no way represent those of the UF College Bowl team. (by request)
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

If we can get them repaired quickly enough, I can probably bring several buzzer systems... The problem is that they are all kinda quirky right now... I'll see if we can get them fixed in time.

-Lee
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

quizbowlmike wrote:If you get in a jam and dont have enough, just let me know and I can probably get 3-5 buzzers and a few college readers from UF.
-Doug
We probably don't "need" you guys at UF to bring more buzzers and readers, but if you have a group that would like to help out (and bring buzzers with you), I'm sure the more the merrier. Contact CB if you have a group interested in coming down; I think you'll enjoy the experience too.

Of course, I subscribe to one of the many rules of tournament directing (which one day I will write down): you can never have too many buzzers or experienced volunteers. (Well, okay, four staff to a room may be too many.)
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
pblessman
Rikku

Culver's Buzzers

Post by pblessman »

Culver's team is bringing two buzzer systems.