ANNOUNCEMENT: Penn Intergalactic (Nov 19-20th)

Old college threads.
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

ANNOUNCEMENT: Penn Intergalactic (Nov 19-20th)

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

This is a formal announcement for Penn Intergalactic 2011, to take place on Nov 19th, 2011 at the University of Pennsylvania. The tournament will be a mirror of Minnesota Open 2011.

EDITING: Eric Mukherjee, Bernadette Spencer, Rob Carson, Sweet Swingin' Saajid Moyen, and Mike Cheyne, will be on the editing team. Andrew Hart will also be writing questions.

ELIGIBILITY: This is a true open event, meaning that there are no eligibility requirements.

TARGET DIFFICULTY: Roughly the same as last year's Minnesota Open. Again, be responsibly difficult.

TARGET LENGTH: Please submit questions six lines or longer in 10-point Times New Roman font, with one inch margins [note: one inch is not always the default]. The more material we have to work with, the better. Final questions will converge around eight lines in length, with some longer and some shorter.

POWERS: Editors will place them. Please don't powermark your submitted questions.

FORMATTING: Please use the standard ACF style. This means "for 10 points", not "FTP" or "for ten points". I'm not anal enough to change them all, but apparently Rob is! Ten point, Times New Roman font with 1-inch margins. Please do not use other fonts--they are icky. Please lump together all questions of a certain part of the distribution, preceded with "5/5 Literature" or whatever the heading may be.

DISTRIBUTION 12/12 total. See MO thread for full-packet distribution for those of you who want to submit a full packet. Keep in mind the packet must have 12 tossups, 12 bonuses by the time you're done.

3/2 or 2/3 Literature [at least 1/0 or 0/1 World, American, European, and British; vary reasonably by time, and include a mix of poetry, drama, and novels]
3/2 or 2/3 History [at least 0/1 or 1/0 American, European, and World and at least 1 British; vary reasonably by time, limit military history to 5 or fewer total questions]
3/2 or 2/3 Science [at least 0/1 or 1/0 Chemistry, Physics, Biology, and Other Science (Astronomy, computer science, earth science/geology, math, paleontology); no science biography; no more than 1 of any given "other science"]

2/1 or 1/2 RMP
1/0 or 0/1 Mythology [at least 1 non-Greco-Roman myth]
1/0 or 0/1 Philosophy [maximum 1 ancient philosophy; feel free to write on pre-Socratics, but only in an interesting way]
1/0 or 0/1 Religion [at least 1 J/C/I is encouraged but not mandated; I'd like to see some inventiveness here since minor religion bowl can get kind of old]

2/1 or 1/2 Fine Arts
1/0 or 0/1 Painting [vary reasonably by time; try to include mostly works-based clues]
1/0 or 0/1 Non-opera Music
1/0 or 0/1 Other arts [sculpture, architecture, justifiably-fine-arts film, installation art] or [opera, ballet, dance, or jazz]

1/1 Social Sciences + Geography + Current Events
1/0 or 0/1 Social Sciences [includes law, anthropology, sociology, psychology, economics, game theory; no more than one question on each discipline]
1/0 or 0/1 Geography or Current Events

0/1 or 1/0 Your Choice
1/1 pop culture, sports, general knowledge, or additional/fringe academic [no more than one question on any given topic, trash is fun, but try some accessible creative ideas here]

SUBMITTING PACKETS: Please email your packets to minnesotaopen2011 (at) gmail (dot) com.

Base cost. The base cost is $120.

Discount/penalty schedule.
-$50: October 9, 2011
-$25: October 16, 2011
No penalty: October 23, 2011
+$25: October 30, 2011
+$50: November 6, 2011
+$100: November 13, 2011
After November 13: +$10/day and possible tournament dropping.

Note that packet discounts and penalties work on a sliding scale. Furthermore, packets themselves will be prorated, if desired--that is, if you have all your questions done and your teammates are being lazy jerks, submit your questions anyway and you'll get a partial discount. DOUBLE FURTHERMORE, packet deadlines are understood thus: the absolute latest a packet can be turned in to receive any given discount or penalty is four a.m. the succeeding day.

WHO MUST WRITE A PACKET?: If you are playing this site, you must write AT LEAST half packet. I will deduct an additional 15$ for teams who write a full packet.

Other discounts.
Buzzer (max 4): -$5
Moderator: -$20
Additional teams from same school: -$10 [that is, both Middle Tennessee B and Middle Tennessee C would start with a base cost of $110]
Travel: $10 off if over 300 miles

FREELANCING: We would really appreciate it if anyone wishes to write a freelance packet.

The tournament will take place in Williams Hall, like all other Penn tournaments.

FIELD:
Yale (1)
Maryland (2)
Team Aaron Rosenberg(/Jerry/Bruce/Ted) (1)
When Snorlax Last in the Dooryard Bloom'd (Weiner/Magin/Hothem/Voight) (1)
Yetman and Co (1)
GMU (1)
Ursinus (1)
Princeton (2) + Weinrich
Rutgers (1)
Last edited by Sima Guang Hater on Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:13 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Penn Intergalactic (Nov 19-20th)

Post by DumbJaques »

Maryland should be bringing two teams to this.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Lagotto Romagnolo
Tidus

Post by Lagotto Romagnolo »

I'm playing this with Jerry, Bruce, and Ted.

Any DC people interested in carpooling to Philadelphia?
Aaron Rosenberg
Langley HS '07 / Brown '11 / Illinois '14
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Field updated; get to registering, people! This tournament will be awesome.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

It is 90% certain that Yale will be bringing a team. I'll let you know soon, and hopefully, if so, you'll have our half-packet by Sunday.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '20

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
dyetman89
Wakka

Post by dyetman89 »

I'd like to show up for this (for real!) - if any kindly souls out there would like to team up, do email me.
Doug
Brandeis '17
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Post by gyre and gimble »

ThisIsMyUsername wrote:It is 90% certain that Yale will be bringing a team. I'll let you know soon, and hopefully, if so, you'll have our half-packet by Sunday.
You guys don't like football?
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

gyre and gimble wrote:
ThisIsMyUsername wrote:It is 90% certain that Yale will be bringing a team. I'll let you know soon, and hopefully, if so, you'll have our half-packet by Sunday.
You guys don't like quizbowl?
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Not to hijack this thread, but does this mean that Penn is NOT hosting their traditional high school QuAC in November now? I have sent a message to at least one Penn person on here about this and it was promptly ignored, or simply not seen.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
dyetman89
Wakka

Post by dyetman89 »

Thomas Littrell and I are teaming up for this. If you're interested in riding our coattails to glorious victory, shoot an email to littrell DOT thomas AT gmail DOT com or yetman DOT douglas AT gmail DOT com
Doug
Brandeis '17
Ras superfamily
Wakka

Post by Ras superfamily »

We are running our HS tournament in the winter. More specifically, it will probably be in February, but I'm not making any promises.
Saajid Moyen
Penn '15
Magister Ludi
Tidus

Post by Magister Ludi »

RyuAqua wrote:
gyre and gimble wrote:
You guys don't like quizbowl?
Yeah, I can't convince anyone else on my team to play the most important pre-national tournament of the year.
Ted Gioia - Harvard '12
Editor ACF, PACE
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

Some semblance of Matt Weiner, myself and other people will be showing up at this tournament with four buzzers.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Still kind of a slow-growing field guys. GMU, Pitt, GW, Princeton, Rutgers, Columbia, Brown, MIT, VTech, UVA? Surely there's more of you!
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD

Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

The Quest for the Historical Mukherjesus wrote:Still kind of a slow-growing field guys. GMU, Pitt, GW, Princeton, Rutgers, Columbia, Brown, MIT, VTech, UVA? Surely there's more of you!
It's not looking like we'll be able to make it.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
... and the chaos of Mexican modernity
Rikku

Post by ... and the chaos of Mexican modernity »

Eric, i'm pretty sure that we will be able to make this tournament. Put us down as tentatively interested for now, and i'll make sure that either Ben or myself will e-mail you confirming our registration.
Zach Foster
North Myrtle Beach High School class of 2009
George Mason University class of 2013
magin
Auron

Post by magin »

Since I ended up being unable to make it to Minnesota, I'm throwing my hat in the ring for this tournament.
Jonathan Magin
Montgomery Blair HS '04, University of Maryland '08
Editor: ACF

"noted difficulty controller"
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Field updated. I'd like to get an odd number of teams for this thing, so please sign up!

EDIT: We're currently at 8 teams, lets get one or 3 more.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD

Chartreuse Scheherazade
Kimahri

Post by Chartreuse Scheherazade »

Ursinus will be sending 1 team to this.
Elizabeth
Ursinus College '12
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Ursinus College has just sent me a packet, so we're at 9 teams. I'd like to get 2 more; Brown, Columbia, step up.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD

Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Packet submission for this tournament is now closed, with the exception of people who have sent me incomplete packets and still owe us questions (Jerry!). Any team who wishes to play at this point will either pay the full +50$ fee and/or should speak to the heads of their respective mirrors.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD

Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

Is anyone interested in driving me from DC to Philadelphia for this? I can bring a CD of 19th century American political songs or Ottoman military marches to listen to on the way there.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
magin
Auron

Post by magin »

I'm in the same boat as Bruce; if anyone can give me a ride, I will give them a book for free. An interesting book.
Jonathan Magin
Montgomery Blair HS '04, University of Maryland '08
Editor: ACF

"noted difficulty controller"
Smuttynose Island
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Smuttynose Island »

Word from Peter Chang's restaurant in Charlottesville, VA is that Magin will be joining the Matt Weiner Buzzer Army at this tournament.
Daniel Hothem
TJHSST '11 | UVA '15 | Oregon '??
"You are the stuff of legends" - Chris Manners
https://sites.google.com/site/academicc ... ubuva/home
JamesIV
Lulu

Post by JamesIV »

Teams / people already registered: any open spots?

People not already registered: any interest in forming some sort of team?

I'd really like to play this, but I do need something resembling a team...
Spencer J. Weinreich
Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School, Class of 2011
Yale University, Class of 2015
University of Oxford, Class of 2017
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

The field now has an even number of teams. So we have a problem; someone else sign up!
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD

Ugly
Lulu

Post by Ugly »

Princeton would like to bring two teams, although this can be adjusted to an odd number if needed.
Jamie Ding
Grosse Pointe North High School 2009
Princeton 2013

This signature is superior to itself.
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Ugly wrote:Princeton would like to bring two teams, although this can be adjusted to an odd number if needed.
Hey great, sorry I didn't respond to your PM sooner. At this point, I haven't heard anything from Columbia, so adjusting to an odd number would be great. You guys can also have Spencer.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD

marnold
Tidus

Post by marnold »

Did we indicate you should be waiting to hear from us? My understanding is we were never planning on sending a team, but I don't really organize stuff (and the people who do don't post here often).
Michael Arnold
Chicago 2010
Columbia Law 2013

2009 ACF Nats Champion
2010 ICT Champion
2010 CULT Champion
Member of Mike Cheyne's Quizbowl All-Heel Team

Fundamental Theorem of Quizbowl (Revised): Almost no one is actually good at quizbowl.
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

marnold wrote:Did we indicate you should be waiting to hear from us? My understanding is we were never planning on sending a team, but I don't really organize stuff (and the people who do don't post here often).
I remember asking you about it at one point. If you give me the emails of the higherups in the club I'd be happy to talk to them.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD

Ugly
Lulu

Post by Ugly »

I'm assuming that this starts at 9:00 a.m. Is that true?
Jamie Ding
Grosse Pointe North High School 2009
Princeton 2013

This signature is superior to itself.
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Yes, rounds will start at 9:00am. Be here at 8:30am.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD

Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Princeton, please get back to me ASAP about how many teams you're planning to bring.

EDIT: Princeton is down to 2 teams, so Rutgers will be bringing one team.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD

Masked Canadian History Bandit
Rikku

Post by Masked Canadian History Bandit »

For those who care, stats to the end of round four can be found here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... standings/
Patrick Liao
Lisgar Collegiate Institute 2011, University of Pennsylvania 2015, University of Toronto Faculty of Law 2019
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

Team Aaron Rosenberg is up one game on Yale going into an advantaged final.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Yale wins both games of advantaged final, takes tournament, catches trains in record time. Snorlax and Maryland A were 3rd and 4th in some order or non-order.

Thanks to all for an excellent tournament!
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

The stats posted are only through round 4...
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

grapesmoker wrote:The stats posted are only through round 4...
I'm tracking them down ASAP.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD

Ras superfamily
Wakka

Post by Ras superfamily »

Stats are up through the round robin, minus the last round for the bottom 7 teams.
Saajid Moyen
Penn '15
Rikku

Sorry for the delay. Stats are now available.

Full Prelims: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... und_robin/
Prelims+Playoffs: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... ried_over/
Prelims+Playoffs+Finals: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... nd_finals/

Between the round robin and the playoffs, Spencer Weinreich left Princeton B to join the NYU/Yetman/Littrell team that had lost Yogesh and Mirza from NYU to make it a Yetman/Littrell/Weinreich team. Since Jamie from Princeton A had left during the tournament, the two two-person Princeton teams combined to form Princeton A+B. Rutgers and Ursinus also left also the round robin.
Patrick Liao
Lisgar Collegiate Institute 2011, University of Pennsylvania 2015, University of Toronto Faculty of Law 2019
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

Neeraj from GMU seems to be in the stats twice.
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
nvijay
Lulu

Post by nvijay »

My clone replaced me for the playoff rounds.
Neeraj Vijay, George Mason 2009-2013, Charter School of Wilmington 2005-2009
Rikku

nvijay wrote:My clone replaced me for the playoff rounds.
The roster window on the SQBS file only shows one Neeraj, so I have no clue how to fix this, sorry.
Patrick Liao