Open academic tournament at UTC: NAQT HS NCT Mirror 6/25/05

Old college threads.
Your Genial Quizmaster
Rikku

Open academic tournament at UTC: NAQT HS NCT Mirror 6/25/05

Post by Your Genial Quizmaster »

As previously announced, UTC will hold a delayed mirror of the NAQT High School National Championship Tournament as an open quizbowl tournament. This will be a one-day tournament in Chattanooga on Sat., June 25, 2005. This tournament is open to all interested players regardless of school level, academic affiliation, or lack thereof. (Yes, that includes coaches too.) The only exception involves high school teams that qualified for the NAQT HS NCT. If you are such a team and for some reason cannot go to the NCT, and you want to attend the mirror, please contact me. Otherwise, individual players are eligible to form mixed teams or make themselves available as free agents to sign on with other teams. Teams may be up to four players; yes, you can play solo if you wish.

PRE-REGISTRATION: You don't have to pay or submit a roster till you get there, but please let me know by Thursday night 6/23 if you're coming. That includes possible free agents as well as teams; I'll try to make connections for you. Also, if you wish to play under a clever team name and want it on the schedule, I'll need to know that by 6/23 too.

SCHEDULE: We're returning to the friendly confines of Holt Hall. This should sound familiar: registration begins at 9 AM EDT Sat. 6/25; announcements at 9:45; game on at 10 AM. We will meet in Holt 124 (see directions below.)

FORMAT & RULES: By popular demand, this will once again be an *untimed* tournament with 20-tossup rounds. With that one exception, we'll follow standard NAQT rules (see http://www.naqt.com), though you may have to remind us to give the bonus answers after each part 'cause we're kinda used to the other style. Also, we may or may not split or seed the field by experience, depending on how many teams register and what level they're on. When you pre-register your team, please give me a general idea of who's playing and how much experience they have.

PRIZES: Since this is an open tournament, in lieu of trophies, we plan to do some shopping between now and then to find suitable prizes for the top teams and individual scorers. We'll get books unless another brilliant idea strikes us between now and then.

FEES: Base fee is $90 per team.
Buzzer: $5 discount, one per team
Full time official for NAQT Mirror: $10 discount
Full time official for Summer Camp trash tournament 6/26/05: $10 discount
Need an additional break? We will give a $15 discount for each round's worth of fresh new academic questions suitable for use at our high school tournament in the fall, or for each blind trash round for use at Summer Camp, or for each blind college-level academic round for Moc Masters in August.
Minimum fee after discounts: $40 if the discounts include at least one round of questions; otherwise $50

LODGINGS: We don't have a block reserved, but the Clarion (423-765-5150) always lets you have discounted rooms at $66/night when available if you mention you're with the UTC quizbowl tournament.

DIRECTIONS:
From Atlanta and points south -- take I-75 to Chattanooga, then I-24 west towards downtown, then follow the freeway splitoff for U.S. 27 North, downtown Chattanooga. From 27 North take the 4th Street exit, within sight of the Tennessee Aquarium. Go right on 4th St. (you have no choice) and follow it for ca. 1 mile. Go past the UTC Arena, after which E. 4th St. becomes part of E. 3rd St. After that, take the second right on Palmetto St. Go two blocks and turn right on Vine St. (just past the EMCS Building.) Just before the place where Vine St. is blocked off, the parking lot for Holt is on the right.

* From Knoxville and points north -- take I-75 to Chattanooga, then I-24 West; directions from there same as above.
* From Nashville and points west/north: Take I-24 east to Chattanooga. As you round Moccasin Bend (freeway goes alongside river) watch for two exit lanes on the right; take the less rightward of the two, which will have signs above it for U.S. 27 N. Rest of directions are the same as above.
* From Birmingham and points southwest: Take I-59 to the outskirts of Chattanooga, where it dead-ends into I-24. Get on I-24 East and follow the Nashville directions from there.

TOURNAMENT DIRECTOR: Same as it ever was: Charlie Steinhice (steinhic at bellsouth dot net.)
quizbowlmike
Lulu

Post by quizbowlmike »

I dont know if you've noticed but June 25th is supposeofly the date of NATSSO. I know I would attend UTC's tournament if it was not on the same day as GT's tournament, which I've already committed to going to and written a packet for. Is there anyway the date of your tournament (or possibly theirs) can be changed?

-Doug
My views in no way represent those of the UF College Bowl team. (by request)
NotBhan
Rikku

Post by NotBhan »

I don't know if this is the most recent info or not, but Stephen Webb appears to have posted this on the Yahoo qb board last week:

"Since only one person responded to my request for good dates, I'm
putting one out. The tournament will be held the middle saturday in
June, that is June 18, with the possible singles tournament the next
weekend.

If you are now interested, please e-mail me at sdwebb91984 at yahoo
dot com.

Regards,
Stephen Webb
NATSSO III TD"
UGAQuizdogs
Lulu

Post by UGAQuizdogs »

Stephen did announce NATSSO III for June 18. The problem with that is this is also the same date as the UGA Hybrid, which was announced mere hours after Charlie posted his dates (I was waiting for him to make an announcement for his dates before I made mine). See below and the the following: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/quizbowl/message/15507

Posted May 5 at 1:33 pm:

The UGA CBAT is announcing their 2d annual hybird tournament, "The
Davids" Memorial, to be held on Saturday June 18, 2005, at the
Student Learning Center on the UGA Campus. This is will be a partial
mirror of the Ottawa Hybrid Tournament held this past spring.

The tournament is packet submission. However, I do have 16 packets
from the OHT that teams are willing to accept as theirs (the choice
is up to the TD) for a small extra fee (fees will be explained
further below).

Speaking of fees, here they are:

Base fee: $80
+$10 if you wish you use one of the OHT packets
-$10 if you wish to write your own (due date is Saturday June 11)
-$5 for a working buzzer

Highest fee possible: $90
Lowest fee possible: $65

PACKET REQUIREMENTS: We will be using the same system we had in
place for the Vince Dolley Memorial. (Keep in mind that the OHT
packets may not following the same distribution pattern):

Packet Requirements (22 TU/bonuses total):
Academic:

2 History (1 US 1 World)
2 Lit
2 Science
2 Geography or other social sciences
1 Current Events
1 Misc
(plus 1 extra question- "writer's choice." Can be on any academic
topic they choose)

Trash:
2 TV (1 pre/post 1975)
2 Music (1 pre/post 1970)
2 Movies (1 pre/post 1970)
2 Sports (1 from each sport)
1 "Trash Lit"
1 Misc (trash-ography, consumerism, etc.)
(Plus 1 extra question- "writer's choice-" sci-fi rule still
applies*)

*Sci-Fi Rule: As sci-fi/fantasy can transcend any of these
categories, there can be only one (1) sci-fi related TU and Bonus in
the trash section of the packet.

We ask that, starting this year, teams alternate their questions
(whether or not you want to start with trash or academic is up to
you. Just make sure that if you have an academic TU, you have an
ensuing academic Bonus with it. (Whether or not you get that same
style of bonus depends on the play of the game).

We're seeing if perhaps Berkeley is hosting its movie singles
tournament this year again. If so, we may mirror that on June 19th
and have it be a $5 event. We shall see....

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me at quizdogs at
uga dot edu.

Thanks
Robin
UGA CBAT

PS- Seeing as there were three hybrids in the last year, I doubt
anyone will question the validity of this tournament.
quizbowlmike
Lulu

Post by quizbowlmike »

Thnaks Raj, it's good to see you havent completely dropped off the face of the earth.

The date I was going off of was on the GT website, which I hope is outdated.
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

UGAQuizdogs wrote:PS- Seeing as there were three hybrids in the last year, I doubt anyone will question the validity of this tournament.
Your doubts are unfounded.

MaS
NotBhan
Rikku

Post by NotBhan »

Since it came up earlier in this thread ...

"Due to some unexpected travel necessities and some financial
calculations, NATSSO III will be canceled at Georgia Tech this year.
Apologies to everyone who planned to attend, we thank you for your
support.

Stephen Webb"
"Keep it civil, please." -- Matt Weiner, 6/7/05
Your Genial Quizmaster
Rikku

June tournaments at UTC: field updates v. 1.0

Post by Your Genial Quizmaster »

Apologies in advance for the inevitable cross-posting. Apologies also for the vagueness of the info, but this is what happens when I take a week's vacation -- my brain hasn't yet shifted out of second gear.

As you presumably already know, UTC is holding a two-tournament weekend later this month: a delayed mirror of the NAQT High School National Championship on Sat., June 25, and a trash tournament, Summer Camp, on Sun., June 26. Both tournaments are open to players from any level regardless of school affiliation or lack thereof. Packet submission is expected for the Summer Camp tournament unless arrangements are made otherwise, but no submission is necessary for the open academic tournament on 6/25.

If you are interested in participating, either with a team or as a free agent, and you don't see your name below, please let me know your plans (steinhic at bellsouth dot net.) This is a somewhat incomplete field update, because several people told me their plans at Moon Pie and RC Cola in April, but I can't remember who told me what. So here's what I can find in my e-mail inbox:

NAQT HS MIRROR 6/25

Va.Tech/Spotswood HS (2 teams)
Robeson et al. (partial team, looking for 2 free agents)
UTC
G. Bobo et al.
?Macon State
?Rossview HS alums

Kenneth Jackson -- not sure if he's bringing a team or coming as a free agent
Stephen Wise -- free agent

SUMMER CAMP
UTC
Macon State
Nathan Bragg et al. (partial team, looking for 2 free agents)
[Also, I have a packet from the Berry alums but haven't heard for sure if they're coming]

OK, everyone, help me fill in the blanks, and thanks.
NotBhan
Rikku

Post by NotBhan »

What were the results?
"Keep it civil, please." -- Matt Weiner, 6/7/05
quizbowlmike
Lulu

Post by quizbowlmike »

I can give you the top 4 for the first day's tournament: Vandy, Emory, UT alums, and Chad Money et. al. I didnt stick around for the playoffs due to the long drive I had ahead of me.
After that, I think just about everyone beat just about everyone else.
Kilby
Lulu

Post by Kilby »

I'm sure Charlie will eventually post results somewhere, but here are some resullts (with my apologies incorrect spellings and statements):

Results:
1st: UT Alums (Bronson Messer, Carol Gutherie, Scotti Whitmire, Steve Taylor)
2nd: Emory (Steve Bahnaman, Gerry Tansey, and Solomon Stein... I think Adam Lipkin was a moderator, but I can't remember)
3rd: Vandy (Matt Keller, Saurabh Vishnubhakat, and John Kilby (I had an internship at Vandy one summer, so it kinda counts...))
4th: Chad Money et. al (I think Jonathan Manker was on this team too, but I can't confirm this or any of the other team members)

Details:
The seedings before the playoffs were:
#1 - Emory
#2 - Vandy
#3 - UT Alums
#4 - Chad Money et. al

In the #1 - #4 game, I believe Chad Money et. al won the match and forced a shootout, which Emory won.

In the #2 - #3 game, the UT Alums won the match forcing a shootout, which they won as well.

In the first place match, Emory lost, forcing a shootout, which the UT Alums won.

Third place was decided by record as both teams were ready to call it a day.

I don't remember any of the individual scores other than Matt being the tourney's MVP with something around 85 PPG.
John Kilby
UTC (2001 - 2005)
TRASH Staff (2006 - 2009)