Texas A&M TERP 2 Mirror - 02/04/2012 - Not Dead Yet

Old college threads.
evilmonkey
Yuna

Texas A&M TERP 2 Mirror - 02/04/2012 - Not Dead Yet

Post by evilmonkey »

Howdy!

Texas A&M Quizbowl is pleased to announce that we will be hosting a mirror of TERP 2 on Saturday, February 4, 2012, set to begin 1 hour following the NAQT Region 12 SCT. TERP 2 is a easy-to-regular difficulty trash (popular culture) tournament written by the Maryland Academic Quiz Team. More information can be found in the thread linked here There will be powers. There are no restrictions on team composition. Other than that, standard ACF rules apply.

Tournament fees are as follows:
Base Fee: $25/per player
Minimum Fee: $35/team

Discounts:
-$10/team member who played in Saturday's SCT
-$10/team member who moderated Saturday's SCT
-$5/team member who scorekept Saturday's SCT

-$10 per competent moderator (can be claimed by only one team)
-$5 per competent scorekeeper (can be claimed by only one team)
-$5 per functional buzzer system

-$10 per first 200 miles travelled per 5 players/staffers
-$5 per 100 miles past 200 travelled per 5 players/staffers
Note: If you bring 7 people 400 miles, and spread them over three teams, you get a total of $40 of discount over all three teams, not $40 per team.

If our SCT runs with zero hiccups and a team clearing the field, it will finish at 3:00, and this tournament will start at 3:30. More likely, this tournament will start at 5. Whatever the case, this tournament will begin 30 minutes after the SCT final concludes - enough time for a mod break, awards, schedules, and go. We will intend to break for dinner around 7. As with the SCT lunch, food will be available for a $5/person fee, while staffers will receive dinner for free.

Teams may register for this tournament by emailing me at bNOSPAMdurgin@tamu DOT edu and indicating the number of teams you intend to bring. If you are considering attending, but are unsure, I would appreciate an email to that effect so that I can get a rough idea of how many teams I can expect. If for some reason you need to cancel your registration at any time, I would prefer that it be done earlier rather than later.

I hope to see all of you in February!

Edit: As an aside, if you're willing to staff SCT, but my recruitment efforts there fail to the point that we absolutely cannot use you, then I'd be willing to negotiate bringing down the base fee to a normal level.

Edit 2 [1/30/2012]
Details changed: Date, start time, and dinner information changed. Team limit is set to normal 4. Base fee changed to per player cost.
Explanation of high base fee, previously found at the *, has been eliminated, as it is no longer relevant. It is kept below for historical purposes.

You'll probably note that the base fee is quite high, and there are some interesting discounts. The main purpose is to incentivize participation at the SCT. Last year's Region 12 SCT drew 4 teams from 3 schools. Moreover, unless we get a good amount of external staffers, one of those teams will be involved in the running of this year's tournament. It should be noted, however, that since I am allowing 5 players per team, per person the tournament fee is the same as normal. I'm also very willing to negotiate down to a normal or lower fee if you have a good argument (playing shorthanded, was helping with a HS tournament on Saturday, etc.)
Last edited by evilmonkey on Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
University of Notre Dame '11
Texas A&M '15
lasercats
Tidus

Re: Texas A&M TERP 2 Mirror - College Station, TX (02/05/12)

Post by lasercats »

A team from Oklahoma will probably be attending.
Maggie Larkin
Booker T. Washington '07
University of Oklahoma '11
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

Field Update
Kwartler et al.
A&M (Romero/Candace)
A&M House

Expressed Interest
Team Wes Eddings
Last edited by evilmonkey on Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
Texas A&M '15
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

Edit: This tournament may in fact still occur, on Saturday following SCT rather than Sunday.
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
Texas A&M '15
evilmonkey
Yuna

Re: Texas A&M TERP 2 Mirror - 02/04/2012 - Not Dead Yet

Post by evilmonkey »

This tournament just finished. We started with 6 teams, played a single round robin. Two teams left, and with the remaining four teams we played a single round robin, giving those teams 8 games.

Settlers of Kwartler cleared the field at 7-1. Romeropoly finished 2nd at 5-3. Further standings will appear in some fashion hopefully by Wednesday.
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
Texas A&M '15
evilmonkey
Yuna

Re: Texas A&M TERP 2 Mirror - 02/04/2012 - Not Dead Yet

Post by evilmonkey »

As promised, Stats appearing by Wednesday.

You might notice in the round report that Rounds 7 and 8 have one game apiece. This is not an error. I accidentally misread packet 8 during round 7, so packets 7 and 8 were only heard by one room each. Packet 9 was read during round 8. I figured I'd keep them separate just in case Logan wants to play around with packet stats.
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
Texas A&M '15