Westchester Bowl

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Great Bustard
Auron

Westchester Bowl

Post by Great Bustard »

This thread for comments on today's tournament at White Plains HS with 34 teams. Brother Nigel, Ryan, Team TriBeCa, other regular posters, other non-regular posters - your thoughts?
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Re: Westchester Bowl

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Tribeca beat us in the final of the Bowl. White Plains and Scarsdale were the other two semifinalists. I won the Bee over Adam Jaffe of White Plains. I have limited internet access, so I'll post more detailed thoughts later/tomorrow.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
NYU '26 (ideally)
ACF
AustinlSmith
Lulu

Post by AustinlSmith »

This probably isn't the appropriate place to ask, but I don't know where else to so I guess I will. David, where will we (or are we if I just can't find it) be able to see results from ournaments? There has already been one hosted in my state of Kentucky, and I'm quite curious how the competition from our state is looking.
Austin Smith
University of Kentucky
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

We've been having issues with stats getting up since our webmaster last year coded the site without putting a function in for subsequent years. This is getting fixed, but it's proven tricky, as I've had to hire last year's webmaster to have a look at it. I'm hoping that all stats through next Saturday's Hawaii tournament will be up by Dec. 20. I apologize for the delay; we do have the stats, we just need to get them up.
David Madden
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

So, yesterday. I want to thank Will and Brian, who ran a rather large tournament tremendously well with no major problems. Congratulations to Tribeca, who was the clear best team in a strong field. In addition, Wilton A, who was playing possibly their first organized QB tournament ever, finished the prelims with a 5-0 record, which included a win over Kellenberg A. I didn't get an opportunity to see their whole team play, but Philip Sefer impressed me in the Bowl, and he should continue to improve as he plays more quizbowl, as he's only a junior. Also, congratulations to Adam Jaffe, who I've been dueling with for three years now and with whom I had an incredibly tense final match in the Bee.

More substantively, I very much enjoyed the set. I thought it did a good job of being extremely accessible while still challenging top teams, especially in the fourth quarter; there were less than 10 "superpowers" in all of my games combined. The format is improved from last year--the 30-20-10 setup of the fourth quarter in particular made games much more competitive and interesting--and although I still don't like the 60-second round, it's more of a minor quibble at this point in time. My biggest problem with the set was in terms of repeat clues. If one played the Bee, it gave you a distinct advantage in playing the Bowl, as clues came up in both places that gave players that played both an advantage. I remember a few of these in particular if you'd like to fix the set for future regional tournaments.

Overall, my teammates and I had a very good experience, and will hopefully be able to bring a whole team to Nationals this year.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
NYU '26 (ideally)
ACF
ProfessorIanDuncan
Wakka

Post by ProfessorIanDuncan »

Is there any information as to when the full results will be posted on the website, not just for this tournament but for all of them? I would really like to see them. I also have a question about the likelihood of both the Long Island and New York City tournaments running on the C set. I appreciate this might be a difficult question at this point but an answer to either question would be highly appreciated.
Alec Vulfson
Irvington High School '13
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Long Island is going to run on C set. NYC is very unlikely to happen this year, though I'm not ruling it out entirely just yet. All stats for all tournaments through Hawaii on Dec. 17 will be on the websites by Dec. 31 - sorry for the delay; just have been having lots of issues resolving it. I'm traveling through Dec. 25, but Dec. 25-Jan. 1 I have nothing but time to devote to all sorts of things like stats that I've been kicking down the road out of necessity for the past two months. -D.
David Madden