NTV liveblog

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

NTV liveblog

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Hey, we've got internet access and my room is at the end of a hallway, so I'll have time to liveblog.

Uber-Competitive Division brackets:
Banana Stand: Auburn A, Centennial, Latin, Libertyville, Northmont, Wheaton Warrenville South
Banana Massacre: Culver, DCC, Loyola B, Seven Lakes, Stevenson A, Wheaton North
Banana Republic: Dorman, IMSA B, Loyola A, New Trier, Stevenson B, Wauconda
Curved Yellow Fruit: Auburn B, Belvidere North, Buffalo Grove, Carbondale, IMSA A, Springfield

Four pool winners, plus top two second-place teams (by PPB) make the top playoff bracket.

I don't have a standard bracket format or bracket listing, so if someone wants to add that they can.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
mr_basque
Lulu

Re: NTV liveblog

Post by mr_basque »

Love having wireless available. Thank you.
John B.
ACE staff member
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

Freshman Sam Blizzard of Northmont in Round 1: 10/3/3
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Standard Division prelim brackets:
Broccoli: Lisle, Maine South A, PORTA, St. Viator C, Wheaton North C, Wheaton Warrenville South B
Zucchini: Fenton, Marian Central Catholic B, McHenry, St. Viator B, UChicago Lab, Wheaton North B
Carrots: Buffalo Grove B, Classical Consortium Academy, Crete-Monee A, Fenwick, St. Viator A, Wauconda B
Pizza: Belvidere North C, Culver B, Loyola Academy C, Oak Park-River Forest, Stevenson C, Wheaton Academy
Ketchup: Auburn C, Barrington, Belvidere North B, Crete-Monee B, Maine South B, Marian Central Catholic A
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
TheDoctor
Rikku

Post by TheDoctor »

Tied for top in their pools (Uber):

Banana Stand: Auburn A, Northmont
Banana Massacre: DCC, Seven Lakes
Banana Republic: Loyola A, Dorman
Curved Yellow Fruit: IMSA A, Carbondale
Kristin Strey
SCOP
Head Coach, Winnebago High School (2014-)
Head Coach, Thurgood Marshall School (Rockford) (2022-)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-2012)
Northern Illinois University Quiz Bowl Association founder
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

Loyola 240 - Dorman 135 at the half.
Loyola 275 - Dorman 305 after 15.
Loyola 340 - Dorman 350 after 18.
Loyola loses by 5 points on a protest: Dorman 390 - Loyola 385
Last edited by mlaird on Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

Leucippe and Clitophon wrote:Freshman Sam Blizzard of Northmont in Round 1: 10/3/3
Did MW powermark the set in the two weeks since their mirror?
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

SirT wrote:
Leucippe and Clitophon wrote:Freshman Sam Blizzard of Northmont in Round 1: 10/3/3
Did MW powermark the set in the two weeks since their mirror?
With the permission of the GSAC editors, we powermarked the set. The powermarked version is available to future mirrors also.
Jonah Greenthal
TheDoctor
Rikku

Post by TheDoctor »

Uber afternoon pools:

Zorn's Lemon: IMSA A, Auburn A, Dorman, Seven Lakes, Loyola, Carbondale
Abelian Grape: Detroit Catholic Central, Latin, Belvidere North A, IMSA B, Stevenson A, Northmont
Bananach Space: New Trier, Culver A, Buffalo Grove A, Centennial, Wheaton North A, Auburn B
The Real Lime: Wauconda A, Libertyville, Loyola B, Stevenson B, Wheaton Warrenville South A, Springfield
Kristin Strey
SCOP
TheDoctor
Rikku

Post by TheDoctor »

Kristin Strey
SCOP
etchdulac
Rikku

Post by etchdulac »

Wait... Carbondale was 3-2 in the morning, but they are in the top afternoon bracket because their PPB is a hundredth of a point better than 4-1 DCC?

Please tell me that's an oversight.
Stephen Fontenot
Texas Quiz Bowl Alliance Deputy Director
Communications, UT Dallas
Strake Jesuit '96 -+-+- Southwestern '00
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

etchdulac wrote:Wait... Carbondale was 3-2 in the morning, but they are in the top afternoon bracket because their PPB is a hundredth of a point better than 4-1 DCC?

I'd say "following the rules they stated for playoff qualification" would not be an "oversight."

Also, the two teams played completely different preliminary schedules, etc.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
etchdulac
Rikku

Post by etchdulac »

Fred wrote:
etchdulac wrote:Wait... Carbondale was 3-2 in the morning, but they are in the top afternoon bracket because their PPB is a hundredth of a point better than 4-1 DCC?

I'd say "following the rules they stated for playoff qualification" would not be an "oversight."

Also, the two teams played completely different preliminary schedules, etc.
OK. Just normally, applying a PPB tiebreaker would actually require teams to be tied in record and not in placement. If that's intentionally excluded as opposed to implicit in the format, that's fine. The minuscule gap between DCC and Carbondale in PPB makes this stand out even more.

Not telling anyone how to run their event, just making sure information provided was correct.
Stephen Fontenot
Kanga-Rat Murder Society
Wakka

Post by Kanga-Rat Murder Society »

Why is that such a bad thing? Points per bonus is one of the only measures that is fairly comparable throughout all brackets. As long as a team isn't getting in because of the type of thing where they only get a few bonuses (which can't happen here because only second place teams can advance to the top), this isn't an issue. Considering that this tourney featured teams from a variety of state (hence hard to seed properly), i'd say they have a pretty effective tiebreaker system.
Nicholas Bergeon
Buffalo Grove High School '09
UW-Madison '12
WUSTL Law'15
etchdulac
Rikku

Post by etchdulac »

Not to be a pain, but... now I'm confused why Belvidere North didn't advance over Carbondale.

2 Carbondale 3 2 0 0.600 398.0 333.0 65.0 34 19 8 100 19.90 4.25 6.62 53 1330 25.09
3 Bel. North A 3 2 0 0.600 357.0 364.0 -7.0 28 21 17 100 17.85 1.65 2.88 49 1240 25.31
Stephen Fontenot
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

The rule stated in the morning was: "The top pool will consist of the top-ranked team in each preliminary pool, plus the two second-place teams with the highest points per bonus." We followed that rule. Carbondale was the 2nd place team in its pool based on PPG.

Also, Loyola avenged its loss to Dorman.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

While I admit it seems a bit odd, this result followed the procedures we announced. To wit: teams were ranked within their bracket by record, then points per game. The top team in each bracket made the top playoff bracket, as did the two second-place-in-their-bracket teams with the higher PPB. The second bracket then consisted of the remaining second-place teams and the third-place teams, etc.

I believe this is the fairest way to do things: since teams in different brackets played different schedules, comparing their records does not make sense. I am happy to discuss why this might not be the case, although I probably won't be able to participate involvedly in a discussion of this until Monday or Tuesday.
Jonah Greenthal
etchdulac
Rikku

Post by etchdulac »

Leucippe and Clitophon wrote:The rule stated in the morning was: "The top pool will consist of the top-ranked team in each preliminary pool, plus the two second-place teams with the highest points per bonus." We followed that rule. Carbondale was the 2nd place team in its pool based on PPG.
jonah wrote:To wit: teams were ranked within their bracket by record, then points per game. The top team in each bracket made the top playoff bracket, as did the two second-place-in-their-bracket teams with the higher PPB. ... I believe this is the fairest way to do things: since teams in different brackets played different schedules, comparing their records does not make sense.
OK. There is a logic to the variance in tiebreakers PPG/PPB inside and outside pools. If a team in DCC's shoes feels hard-done by the circumstances, the format was stated and it's a valid approach.

Thanks for your quick responses during a busy day.
Stephen Fontenot
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

In the Über-Competitive Division, IMSA A cleared the field. Auburn A was in second. We are about to play a third-place game between Seven Lakes and Dorman. Fifth place is Loyola Academy A; sixth place is Carbondale.

I'm not sure what's going on in the Standard Division. A final is in progress but I don't remember who is in it.
Jonah Greenthal
Edward Elric
Tidus

Post by Edward Elric »

From what I gathered St. Viator won out (beating Fenton in the final match). I'd assume Fenton got second then going 9-1, but I could be mistaken.
Mike Perovanovic
University of Ill.-Chicago '13
Wheaton North '09
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

Edward Elric wrote:From what I gathered St. Viator won out (beating Fenton in the final match). I'd assume Fenton got second then going 9-1, but I could be mistaken.
You are. St. Viator then played Barrington for the championship, which we won.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

Dorman won that match to finish third, by the way.
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Moving Day wrote:
Edward Elric wrote:From what I gathered St. Viator won out (beating Fenton in the final match). I'd assume Fenton got second then going 9-1, but I could be mistaken.
You are. St. Viator then played Barrington for the championship, which we won.
What happened in the top-tier playoffs for Standard was: two parallel brackets of 6 (no games carried over due to them being replayed), and a cross-over final. Barrington had gone 4-1 in its playoff pool, and had a higher PPG than OPRF, so it advanced to the final where Barrington beat St. Viator 165-70.