North Carolina 2011-2012

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
smithp5
Wakka

North Carolina 2011-2012

Post by smithp5 »

Looking ahead to next year, The Early College at Guilford would like to claim the date of October 22, 2011 for the 3rd Quaker Bowl tournament. More details will come later in the year.
Paul Smith
Coach, The Early College at Guilford
Edward Powers
Auron

Re: North Carolina 2011-2012

Post by Edward Powers »

Coach Smith,

I do not mean to hi-jack this thread, but I did want to congratulate you and your kids for your excellent performance in your playoff match against us in Atlanta. When it was 310-305 in your favor with about 10 seconds and one toss-up left, so that anyone could win, I experienced a moment of great peace and joy looking around the room at the intent faces of all the players, realizing how great the match was and that it would be a shame for anyone to be eliminated yet knowing that one of us would. To your kids credit, they clinched the victory with their conversion of the toss-up, but to be frank I was proud of both teams and how well both played. I just wanted to share this with you because the room was so small, leading to a rush out of the door for some fresh air, and we had little chance to talk after the match anyway, since you had to move on to the next round, but please tell your kids it was a pleasure for us to play them and we enjoyed the competition immensely. Maybe we can play again next year, perhaps on the circuit or at Nationals once again.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
smithp5
Wakka

Post by smithp5 »

Coach Powers:
My team and I appreciate the compliment, and I agree with your sentiment that both teams did an excellent job throughout the match. The match certainly could have gone either way and it was a shame after the numerous comebacks and runs from both sides that only one team could come out victorious. I regret that we didn't get a chance to talk after the match, but we certainly look forward to seeing your team again down the road!
I hope I speak for most people in saying that the HSNCT was ridiculously well run and provided such an excellent opportunity to play teams from so many regions. It is fantastic to play against teams that you've observed only at a distance. I think there have been a lot of great things in North Carolina Quiz Bowl this year, and we really look forward to next year.
Paul Smith
Coach, The Early College at Guilford
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

My guess is that most coaches and players would agree with your assessment of this year's HSNCT. I know I do and I share your appreciation of the opportunity to play such a broad array of teams. We played squads from Georgia, Texas, Minnesota, Kentucky, Tennessee, Ohio, Michigan, California and of course your very own North Carolina, and in almost every case the matches were well contested, offering anyone with eyes to see the wonderful spectacle of scores of gifted students competing at the highest levels while also displaying equally high levels of amicability and sportsmanship. So, NAQT should be proud of its ability to organize such a wonderful opportunity for more than 200 teams from across the country.

And thank you for your kind words about my team as well. I too hope to see you down the road, and good luck to your team next year. We will certainly watch your team's performance from a distance and root for your continued success!
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Just passing the word along that East Chapel Hill High School has expressed interest in bringing a National History Bee and Bowl state tournament to North Carolina for the 2011-2012 school year. Dates to be worked out; could anyone from NC perhaps list a series of traditional dates for tournaments in the Tar Heel State that we should look to avoid (beyond GSAC and Dorman's tournament)? Looking forward to giving North Carolina schools the opportunity to be a part of the National History Bee and Bowl - if you have any questions please feel free to contact me!
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

Enloe says they are looking to Dec. 10 for a new tournament, likely pending Maggie Walker's date.
Eric Grunden, Research Triangle High School/NCATA
kayli
Auron

Post by kayli »

It might be useful if someone did a Southeast Quizbowl Calendar this year so we can keep track of these tournaments. I can't do it because I'm moving out of the Southeast (I wasn't good at keeping up either), but if someone (coach, student, or whatever) active in the area could start one up now that'd be really useful for date claims.
Kay, Chicago.
BlueDevil95
Wakka

Post by BlueDevil95 »

North Carolina teams should DEFINITELY come to the Blue Devil Academic Tournament to be held at Norcross High School (Norcross, GA) on December 3rd, 2011!
Mostafa Bhuiyan
Norcross High School '13
Georgia Institute of Technology '17

Developer of Neg5
https://neg5.org
https://stats.neg5.org
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Ar$oni$t$ Get All the Girl$ wrote:It might be useful if someone did a Southeast Quizbowl Calendar this year so we can keep track of these tournaments. I can't do it because I'm moving out of the Southeast (I wasn't good at keeping up either), but if someone (coach, student, or whatever) active in the area could start one up now that'd be really useful for date claims.
Doesn't Eric Douglass do a newsletter?
kayli
Auron

Post by kayli »

dtaylor4 wrote:
Ar$oni$t$ Get All the Girl$ wrote:It might be useful if someone did a Southeast Quizbowl Calendar this year so we can keep track of these tournaments. I can't do it because I'm moving out of the Southeast (I wasn't good at keeping up either), but if someone (coach, student, or whatever) active in the area could start one up now that'd be really useful for date claims.
Doesn't Eric Douglass do a newsletter?
It doesn't cover high schools.
Kay, Chicago.
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

Raleigh Charter wants Oct. 29 for Bonfire part IV. We don't know where we'll source the questions from this year yet.

Eric

edit: date changed from 11/19.
Last edited by rchschem on Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
ProsperoSMS
Wakka

Post by ProsperoSMS »

Saint Mary's School in Raleigh will host the seventh annual Belles' Bowl on 25 February 2012. Questions will be written in-house.
Hugh Davis, Saint Mary's School Quiz Team
hydrocephalitic listlessness
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by hydrocephalitic listlessness »

Regarding the History Bee, could you possibly tell me the individual who expressed interest in hosting it? Our team hasn't heard anything about it, and we would certainly be interested in assisting with it if it happens. Thanks!
Will H-M
Harvard '16
Princeton ~'26
ACF
ProsperoSMS
Wakka

Post by ProsperoSMS »

I thought I had already posted this, but Saint Mary's School is happy to announce Belles' Bowl VII for 25 February 2012.
chsquizbowl
Kimahri

Post by chsquizbowl »

I think Carrboro may host a small tournament in January, decision pending though. Is Eric Grunden going to maintain a calendar of the 2011-12 QB season on the NAQT site this year? If so, the history bee member's request may be fulfilled -- speaking of which we're pretty excited for the History Bee. We really needed one of these last year.
Max Randall
Carrboro High School Quiz Bowl Manager/Captain
[email protected]
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

chsquizbowl wrote: Is Eric Grunden going to maintain a calendar of the 2011-12 QB season on the NAQT site this year?
On the NCATA site, yes. I haven't updated the calendar for this year yet but will be shortly. Remember to check NCASA's calendar for the dates for the state and district tournaments if you're a member. They (I'm no longer on the board) are trying to implement quiz bowl practice leagues this year which should be helpful.

Eric
friendswithdave
Lulu

Post by friendswithdave »

The NC Association for Scholastic Activities has finalized its full calendar for the current school year, including all Quiz Bowl events. Please note the following dates:
October 15: FREE and OPEN Quiz Bowl meets. Yes, this is free and open to all NC schools. Meets will take place in high schools across NC. We are seeking additional hosts. Myers Park HS will host for the Charlotte area.
February 6: Beginning of quiz bowl conference play. NCASA will group interested member schools into conferences and schedule weekly quiz bowl meets. Each meet will involve 3-4 schools playing 2-3 matches after school. The season will last six weeks.
March 24: District Quiz Bowl Tournament - open to all NCASA member schools.
April 21: State Quiz Bowl Tournament - must qualify for state via the District Tournaments

We plan to use NAQT A-level questions for all events except the State Tournament. For more information on these and other NCASA Competitions, visit our all-new website: ncscholastic.org
Leon Pfeiffer
Executive Director
North Carolina Association for Scholastic Activities (NCASA)
ProsperoSMS
Wakka

Post by ProsperoSMS »

Any word on possible tournaments at UNC and/or Duke?
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

ProsperoSMS wrote:Any word on possible tournaments at UNC and/or Duke?
I have a call in to Duke; I don't know anybody at UNC anymore.
friendswithdave
Lulu

We have two more hosts for the NCASA Open Twelve competition and Quiz Bowl meet on October 15: Newton-Conover HS and Jordan-Matthews HS of Siler City. We would also like to have a host in the Triangle Area and Eastern NC. Contact me if you are interested in hosting. Registration for these free competitions will open on September 7. Visit our website: ncscholastic.org to register and for more information.
Leon Pfeiffer
Executive Director
Francis the Talking France
Wakka

Post by Francis the Talking France »

rchschem wrote:
Does this mean that Tar Heel Cup will be at NCSSM again this year?
Matt Duchan
Chapel Hill High School '12
University of Denver '16
Director of the 2013 Colorado State History Bowl
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

MattNC wrote:
rchschem wrote:
Does this mean that Tar Heel Cup will be at NCSSM again this year?
I hope not. It was only there as an emergency last year.
Wakka

Ok good. It really felt like an emergency too considering that when we got there we weren't even on the list of teams participating and we stayed in the same room for all 5 rounds and our reader couldn't read.
Matt Duchan
University of Denver '16
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

Post by Red-necked Phalarope »

According to the UNC quizbowl club listserv that I'm apparently still subscribed to, the Tar Heel Cup will be held on Saturday, October 1. The current contact is Roger Que, who I think is still checking [email protected].
Brice Russ
East Forsyth '04
UNC '08
Ohio State '13
brohan5
Kimahri

Post by brohan5 »

The SAT is scheduled for that same day...so it would be a bit of a hassle for kids who are trying to take the SAT that day. Most of them probably wouldn't come, and I think that would lead to a smaller team field.
Rohan Rajeev
Raleigh Charter High School '12
[email protected]
ProsperoSMS
Wakka

Post by ProsperoSMS »

UNC might be in a bind because of dates where there aren't other major events. I'd hate to lose some tournaments this year, however.
chsquizbowl
Kimahri

Post by chsquizbowl »

I also have a contact at UNC that told me the same thing. Not sure how organized it will be, though.
Max Randall
[email protected]
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

brohan5 wrote:The SAT is scheduled for that same day...so it would be a bit of a hassle for kids who are trying to take the SAT that day. Most of them probably wouldn't come, and I think that would lead to a smaller team field.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8460&start=0
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Wakka

brohan5 wrote:The SAT is scheduled for that same day...so it would be a bit of a hassle for kids who are trying to take the SAT that day. Most of them probably wouldn't come, and I think that would lead to a smaller team field.
The only people who really take the SAT in October are Seniors and curious Juniors and underclassmen. It won't be hard to form a decent field either way. To be honest, the only reason I'm not showing the same sentiments as you are is that I'm taking the ACT next weekend when there will be nothing going on in the area.
Matt Duchan
University of Denver '16
Wakka

In light of the fact that our school's Brain Game taping is on the only day that conflicts with a tournament, should I:
A. Go to the taping because I will be on TV and listen to a corny host read one-liner/speed-check/buzzer-race questions?
B. Go to the Raleigh Charter tournament and hope that we as a team are not as bad on the HFT packets as we were last year (we will probably send at least one team whether I go or not)?
C: Hope for the best so that Raleigh Charter's tournament will be rescheduled until November (and no this is not a plea for anyone to cater to my needs)?

Decisions, decisions.
Matt Duchan
University of Denver '16
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

MattNC wrote:In light of the fact that our school's Brain Game taping is on the only day that conflicts with a tournament, should I:
A. Go to the taping because I will be on TV and listen to a corny host read one-liner/speed-check/buzzer-race questions?
B. Go to the Raleigh Charter tournament and hope that we as a team are not as bad on the HFT packets as we were last year (we will probably send at least one team whether I go or not)?
C: Hope for the best so that Raleigh Charter's tournament will be rescheduled until November (and no this is not a plea for anyone to cater to my needs)?

Decisions, decisions.
It won't be an HFT mirror this year, so that's in your favor. No matter what, the fall schedule is always packed.
chsquizbowl
Kimahri

Post by chsquizbowl »

Well, this is exciting.
Carrboro High School will be hosting its first tournament on January 21.
This date is still rather tentative. It's not on MLK weekend and it's not an SAT date. Someone please tell me if this date conflicts with another event.
We would also appreciate any help from veteran quiz bowl hosts, either through this forum or the email posted under the signature below.
More details will be forthcoming, probably nearer the date. Thanks.
Max Randall
[email protected]
friendswithdave
Lulu

NCASA has nothing scheduled on Jan 21. This is two weeks before quiz bowl conference play begins, which is ideal for teams wanting practice before Feb 6.
Leon Pfeiffer
Executive Director
Eric Huff
Wakka

Post by Eric Huff »

That's the date for the Dorman Cavalier Academic Challenge. Typically we've had a large number of North Carolina teams in the field.
Eric Huff

National History Bee (eric AT historybee.com)
ACE Quizbowl Camps (eric AT acequizbowlcamp.com)
Former Head Coach, Dorman High School (2001-2012)

http://www.historybee.com
http://www.acequizbowlcamp.com
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

Eric Huff wrote:That's the date for the Dorman Cavalier Academic Challenge. Typically we've had a large number of North Carolina teams in the field.
Dorman puts on a good tournament. I recommend it. That said, the great canyon between Charlotte/Greensboro and the Triangle tends to be the dividing line for Dorman being an overnighter. I would expect a Carrboro tournament to draw mostly from Raleigh and points east, which probably won't affect Dorman much.

Eric
Wakka

chsquizbowl wrote:Well, this is exciting.
Carrboro High School will be hosting its first tournament on January 21.
This date is still rather tentative. It's not on MLK weekend and it's not an SAT date. Someone please tell me if this date conflicts with another event.
We would also appreciate any help from veteran quiz bowl hosts, either through this forum or the email posted under the signature below.
More details will be forthcoming, probably nearer the date. Thanks.
I will definitely try to get our team there, seeing as how we could practically walk there if we wanted to and it'd be pointless not to go. Although Dorman conflicts with it, most teams in NC won't want to leave the state and you should be able to get a decent field of 16-20 teams.
Matt Duchan
University of Denver '16
msmathwhiz
Lulu

Post by msmathwhiz »

Enloe will definitely be at Carrboro Cup, hopefully with all 3 teams!

I have one last hoop to jump through to make sure liability issues are covered, but December 10th is the date for the Enloe Invitational Tournament. More deets once I get the final approval this week.
Celia Rowland
Coach, Enloe Magnet HS
[email protected]
friendswithdave
Lulu

NCASA congratulates South Caldwell High School, Green Hope High School, and Myers Park High School for winning the Open Competitions at their sites. All schools finished with perfect 5-0 records! Hopefully we'll see all of you at weekly quiz bowl meets beginning in February.
Leon Pfeiffer
Executive Director
friendswithdave
Lulu

The NCASA Board met recently and made a number of changes in the Winter and Spring quiz bowl schedule to prevent overlap of our state finals had with other scholastic competitions. Please note the following changes:

The weekly quiz bowl meets will begin the week of January 30, one week earlier than we had planned. We have 76 member schools so far and it appears a majority of these want to participate in these weekly meets. If you want your quiz bowl team to get more matches, this is the way. These weekly meets will last six weeks and will likely total 18 matches for each team during this period.

The District Quiz Bowl Tournament will be held at three sites around NC on March 10. This is a qualifier for the State Tournament. Schools must participate in the District Tournament to advance to the State Finals.

The State Finals will be held on March 24.

All of these events are free for NCASA member schools. For membership information, visit our website: www.ncscholastic.org.
Leon Pfeiffer
Executive Director
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

friendswithdave wrote:The NCASA Board met recently and made a number of changes in the Winter and Spring quiz bowl schedule to prevent overlap of our state finals had with other scholastic competitions.

The State Finals will be held on March 24.
The previously announced date of the RTO will be changed accordingly. We will announce the new date shortly.
chsquizbowl
Kimahri

Post by chsquizbowl »

Registration for the Carrboro Cup has officially opened. Please register at http://brainteam.webs.com/carrborocup.htm. Details about the tournament can also be found there. If, for some reason, you cannot access this website or submit your registration, reply to this email address ([email protected]) ASAP. The tournament is on January 21. Registration closes on January 14 (refer to website). Thank you, and we hope to see you there! :aaa:
Max Randall
[email protected]
msmathwhiz
Lulu

Post by msmathwhiz »

Registration is still open for the Enloe Invitational Academic Competition on Saturday, December 10th. Twelve teams to date (11/17). See the thread for details:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12252

Celia
Celia Rowland
Coach, Enloe Magnet HS
[email protected]
friendswithdave
Lulu

Just a reminder there is one week left to register for the weekly after-school quiz bowl meets which run six weeks and begin the week of January 30. These meets are free and open to all NCASA member schools. All meets will be using NAQT A questions and will determine seeding for the District Quiz Bowl Tournaments on March 10. Visit http://www.ncscholastic.org for more information.
Leon Pfeiffer
Executive Director
Wakka

chsquizbowl wrote:Registration for the Carrboro Cup has officially opened. Please register at http://brainteam.webs.com/carrborocup.htm. Details about the tournament can also be found there. If, for some reason, you cannot access this website or submit your registration, reply to this email address ([email protected]) ASAP. The tournament is on January 21. Registration closes on January 14 (refer to website). Thank you, and we hope to see you there! :aaa:
How many teams have signed up for this tournament so far? I will most likely know how many teams we're sending by the end of this week.
Matt Duchan
University of Denver '16
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

friendswithdave wrote:All meets will be using NAQT A questions and will determine seeding for the District Quiz Bowl Tournaments on March 10.
1. A sets are being used to seed the first round of the playoffs (which is what the districts actually are)?
2. How will not participating in the weekly matches affect how a team is seeded for the districts? No mention of the weekly matches affecting the playoff structure was ever mentioned, as far as I can remember.

Eric
Wakka

chsquizbowl wrote:Registration for the Carrboro Cup has officially opened. Please register at http://brainteam.webs.com/carrborocup.htm. Details about the tournament can also be found there. If, for some reason, you cannot access this website or submit your registration, reply to this email address ([email protected]) ASAP. The tournament is on January 21. Registration closes on January 14 (refer to website). Thank you, and we hope to see you there! :aaa:
Any update on the amount of teams so far?
Also, Brain Game round 2 games and finals conflict with the Right Triangle Open (March 3rd) and the NC State Finals (March 24th) respectively and I'm assuming that the more prominent teams that show up to those respective tournaments also do well on Brain Game, which I could see as a problem in the long run. North Carolina National History Bee & Bowl is also in conflict with NC State District Tournaments (which I assume are required in order to play in the state finals).
Matt Duchan
University of Denver '16
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

MattNC wrote: Also, Brain Game round 2 games and finals conflict with the Right Triangle Open (March 3rd) and the NC State Finals (March 24th) respectively and I'm assuming that the more prominent teams that show up to those respective tournaments also do well on Brain Game, which I could see as a problem in the long run. North Carolina National History Bee & Bowl is also in conflict with NC State District Tournaments (which I assume are required in order to play in the state finals).
The schedule was better earlier this year, but then NCASA changed its dates for the two tournaments, which ran them up against BG and forced us to reschedule RTO. Short of canceling RTO, which we are not going to do, there's little that can be done about the schedule. If we move to April we are up against the same arguments concerning Science Olympiad and several other competitions. The spring is a very busy time.
Wakka

Assuming that no one is making changes, I guess we'll just see what happens over the next few weeks.
Matt Duchan
University of Denver '16
friendswithdave
Lulu

NCASA is still considering how to determine seeding and format for the District Quiz Bowl Tournaments on March 10. Format will partially depend on the number of teams. We expect eight to fifteen school per district will participate. Yes, the District Tournaments are qualifiers for State and we will be advancing four teams from each of the three Districts to the March 24 State Final. We will be using an NAQT A set for District, which is open to all NCASA member schools. The State Final will be using an NAQT "standard" set.
Leon Pfeiffer
Executive Director
friendswithdave
Lulu

Registration for the March 10 NCASA District Quiz Bowl Tournaments is open now through February 24. These three District Tournaments are qualifiers for the State Tournament, and top teams will also qualify for NAQT Nationals. Member schools can visit our website to register. About half of our 74 member schools are expected to participate. Non-member schools may still join NCASA to register for the tournament. Visit our website http://www.ncscholastic.org or contact me for more information.
Leon Pfeiffer
Executive Director