Yale's BHSAT XXI available for hosting @ spring events

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Yale's BHSAT XXI available for hosting @ spring events

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

On March 24, 2012, Yale University will be hosting its twenty-first annual Bulldog High School Academic Tournament (BHSAT) in New Haven, Connecticut. As is traditional, the set for BHSAT XXI will be house-written by members of the Yale University quizbowl team. I (Matt Jackson) will be returning from last year as the head editor of the set. In this role, I will continue to build on the increased quality and the often-entertaining nature of the 2011 BHSAT set. Comments on last year's set speak for themselves:
Stephen Young, coach of Hunter HS, re: BHSAT XX wrote:Many thanks for... a wonderful set of packets, and a great day of quiz bowl! ... Once again, Bulldog was well worth the trip.
Kunal Naik, Alpharetta (GA) '12 wrote:I would like to again thank Yale for letting us use BHSAT, a set which got good reviews from across the board
Max Timmons, St. Paul Central (MN) '12 wrote:The questions were excellent and not particularly difficult. ...the questions rarely went dead or triggered buzzer races.
As we've done successfully for the past two years, we at Yale will be seeking to establish "mirror sites," or other tournaments using the BHSAT set, where appropriate. The set will be available for use at other sites from the weekend of March 24th until the weekend of May 19th (i.e. the weekend just prior to the 2012 NAQT High School National Championship in Atlanta, Georgia.) If you are interested in mirroring BHSAT, please email me at [email protected] for more information. (We're also open to uses for singles events, All-Star Team tryouts, or other legitimate purposes - just email!)

Question difficulty will be suitable for teams preparing for national tournaments later on in the year or for those seeking a moderately challenging tournament; since last year's difficulty hit this standard well, expect the questions to be of the same difficulty as BHSAT 2011, with performance during the year on regular NAQT and HSAPQ sets correlating strongly with performance on this set. We seek to reward earnest experience and understanding of core topics over simple recognition of less-known or more collegiate things. No tossup in BHSAT will go past the sixth line of question text (using 10 point Times New Roman as the standard), and no bonus part will exceed two lines of text.

There will be thirteen (13) packets. BHSAT will not be power-marked. No site of BHSAT may add power-marks to the set or otherwise modify, subtract from, or add to the set in any way. Any site which acts to modify the BHSAT set will owe us an additional 1000 dollars.

Distribution:
4/4 Literature (1/1 each American, British, other European; World is not guaranteed 1/1 per packet)
4/4 Science (1/1 each Biology, Chemistry, Physics, 1/1 Other Science, of which about half will be Math)
4/4 History (1/1 American, 2/2 European/British/Canadian/Ancient, 1/1 World)
{3/3 Religion, Mythology, Philosophy, and Thought
3/3 Fine Arts (1.5/1.5 Visual, 1.5/1.5 Auditory)
1/1 Social Sciences and Civics
1/1 Geography/Current Events}
1/1 Trash/Pop Culture
One of the bracketed categories, at random, will have a tossup excised to make an even 20 for the regular game. The tiebreaker tossup can be from any academic category, including those outside the brackets.

The list of sites is as follows and will be updated:
Main Site - Yale University, New Haven, CT, March 24. Email [email protected] or see the main thread.
Ohio - Warren G. Harding High School, Saturday, March 24. Contact Warren G. Harding Quizbowl at [email protected] or see thread.
Missouri - Tuscumbia High School, Saturday, March 24. Contact Jason Loy at [email protected] or see thread.
Louisiana - Tulane/LSU, Saturday, March 31. Email Ryan McLaren at [email protected] or see thread.
North Carolina - Duke, Saturday, April 7. Email Alvin Shi at [email protected] or see thread.
DC/MD/VA - St. Anselm's, Saturday, April 14. Email Aidan Mehigan at [email protected] or see thread.
Southeast: SC/GA - Georgia Tech, Saturday, April 14. Email Bradley Silverman at [email protected] or see thread.
Southeast: KY/TN - College Heights Academic Tournament at WKU, CANCELLED
Illinois - ATROPHY at NIU, April 28. Email Brad Fischer at [email protected] or see thread.
Pacific Northwest - University of Washington, May 5 CANCELLED.
Southern California - Triton Spring at UCSD, May 19. Email Chris Chiego at [email protected] or see thread.
Last edited by Adventure Temple Trail on Tue May 01, 2012 10:40 pm, edited 34 times in total.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Re: Yale's BHSAT XXI available for hosting @ spring events

A DC-area mirror will be occurring on Saturday, April 14th at St. Anselm's Abbey School.
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

I just sent you a message about this, but Truman State is looking into mirroring BHSAT for our high school tournament on March 10. Is that too early for us to be able to use the set?
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

As per the original announcement, we are only able to offer our set to tournaments hosting on or between Saturday, March 24th and Sunday, May 20th. Apologies.
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

RyuAqua wrote:As per the original announcement, we are only able to offer our set to tournaments hosting on or between Saturday, March 24th and Sunday, May 20th. Apologies.
No problem. Thanks for answering so quickly. I'll see if any Missouri host can possibly use the set.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

I'm pleased to announce that BHSAT XXI will be mirrored for the Kentucky/Tennessee area at Western Kentucky University's College Heights Academic Tournament on Saturday, April 21. Contact Nick Conder for more information. We are still interested in getting a site up and running further southeast (e.g. in North Carolina, the SC/GA area, or both), so if you're interested in that send an email my way.
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Stay tuned for details on the use of our set by Tulane and LSU on March 24 (EDIT: actually March 31), 2012.
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

I'm pleased to announce that an Ohio mirror will be taking place at Warren G. Harding High School in Warren, Ohio on Saturday, March 24. Warren is reasonably close to Buffalo and to Pittsburgh, if any teams from there are looking for more events to play.
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Stay tuned for details on a Missouri mirror at Centralia High School on March 24th.

EDIT: There will, in fact, be a Missouri mirror at Centralia High School on March 24th. Details in the thread linked to in the first post.

EDIT2: There will, in fact, be two mirrors in Missouri to accommodate demand within two separate areas of the state - the more northerly mirror at Centralia and a lower Missouri mirror at Tuscumbia High School directed by Jason Loy. Thanks to Charlie Dees for representing MOQBA to us and continuing to ensure with Coach Kennedy and with Jason that these two sites can both run without a hitch.
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

In North Carolina, Duke University will be using BHSAT for their spring tournament on April 7th. This doesn't preclude the possibility of a well-attended mirror in Georgia or South Carolina, so if you're interested in that, email me and I'd be glad to help set one up.
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Speeeeeaking of which, we will be having a mirror on April 14 at Georgia Tech, so now that need is filled.
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Stay tuned for details on a mirror in California, specifically the southern part of the state. Do I sense any interest further north along the West Coast?

EDIT: This mirror will take place at the University of California, San Diego, on Saturday, May 12. Post updated above.
Last edited by Adventure Temple Trail on Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Maybe, maybe not- unclear if we will have an available weekend.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

The Centralia mirror has unfortunately been cancelled due to lack of interest. We encourage all interested Missouri teams to try and attend the Tuscumbia site if they are able.
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Stay tuned for details on a Pacific Northwest mirror at or around the University of Washington on May 5. Contact Mike Bentley for more info until then.

EDIT: This mirror was cancelled.
Last edited by Adventure Temple Trail on Tue May 01, 2012 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

We had to cancel our mirror. There was only 1 team that was interested in moving to a new date, and I wasn't going to announce a new event on less than 3 weeks notice with such low amounts of interest. If somebody else in the area wants to try to mirror BHSAT, I hope they are able to do so successfully.
Nicholas C
KQBA member