Illinois '11-'12

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Re: Illinois '11-'12

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

mlaird wrote:I'm forwarding you guys emails from Riley that include McGraw's actual interpretation of the rules, which should put us in the clear.
I'm a guy, right?
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

Bone seeker wrote:
mlaird wrote:I'm forwarding you guys emails from Riley that include McGraw's actual interpretation of the rules, which should put us in the clear.
I'm a guy, right?
He probably sent it to Kristin.
Dr. Noah Prince

Normal Community High School (2002)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2004, 2007, 2008)

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)
guy in San Diego (2016-present)
President of Qblitz (2018-present)

mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

Dominator wrote:
Bone seeker wrote:
I'm a guy, right?
I wasn't aware McGraw was in communication with you. EDIT: Also, Jonah sent you what I have.
Last edited by mlaird on Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

mlaird wrote:
Dominator wrote:
Bone seeker wrote:
I'm a guy, right?
I wasn't aware McGraw was in communication with you.
Fair enough, he isn't.
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Cubfan125
Lulu

Post by Cubfan125 »

So ... anyone else care to post their members poll ballots?
Alex Kling
Latin School of Chicago class of 2012
Williams College class of 2016
mrgsmath
Wakka

Post by mrgsmath »

IHSA Regional assignments are up and if true to history the State pairings will change after Sectionals, when they hold the random draw.
Mark Grant
Coach - PORTA H.S.
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got ."
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

Poor Fremd gets Barrington in the second round and Wauconda in the championship. Odds they don't make it to Wauconda?

5 Round zeroes in AA this year. Springfield, Althoff, Maine South, Marist, Greenville.
tinioril
Lulu

Post by tinioril »

Where are the assignments?
And let's hope they change the state pairings, since the winners of IMSA's and Auburn's sectionals are in the same pool.
Ned Lauber
Wheaton Warrenville South '12
Vanderbilt '16
Edward Elric
Tidus

Post by Edward Elric »

tinioril wrote:Where are the assignments?
And let's hope they change the state pairings, since the winners of IMSA's and Auburn's sectionals are in the same pool.
Here you go.
Mike Perovanovic
University of Ill.-Chicago '13
Wheaton North '09
No Electricity Required
Wakka

Post by No Electricity Required »

Cubfan125 wrote:So ... anyone else care to post their members poll ballots?
Top 20:
1. IMSA A
2. Auburn A
3. Loyola A
4. Carbondale
5. Latin
6. Macomb
7. Belvidere North
8. New Trier
9. IMSA B
10. Buffalo Grove
11. Centennial
12. Stevenson
13. Wheaton Warrenville South
14. Auburn B
15. Loyola B
16. Springfield
17. Wheaton North
18. Barrington
19. Peoria Christian
20. Glenwood

I completely forgot Fenton existed; I would probably put them somewhere on the back end, but it wouldn't have changed much.

Class A:
1. Peoria Christian
2. Litchfield - Having seen David lately, I feel comfortable saying they'll have a good team for the next couple years. I just hope they get to more tournaments than they have this year.
3. Keith Country Day
4. PORTA - After this my confidence goes downhill, but it's what I was able to make from the stats I had
5. Peoria Heights
6. Cumberland (Toledo)
7. Warrensburg-Latham
8. New Berlin
9. Athens
10. Decatur LSA
tristan willey
formerly: macomb, uiuc
writer: naqt
he/him or they/them
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

I realize that this is probably a joke they get often, but did anyone else do a double-take because IMSA's opening their regional against a sandwich?
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

cornfused wrote:I realize that this is probably a joke they get often, but did anyone else do a double-take because IMSA's opening their regional against a sandwich?
Well, let's hope there's no family and consumer science in that round.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

mlaird wrote:Poor Fremd gets Barrington in the second round and Wauconda in the championship. Odds they don't make it to Wauconda?

5 Round zeroes in AA this year. Springfield, Althoff, Maine South, Marist, Greenville.
Don't feel badly for Fremd. For the 27-6 record we have in 5 vs 5 matches this year, we're 0-2 against them on NAQT Illinois rounds. The lone things that could favor BHS at regionals is the complete IHSA distro, which closely hews to the IESA one, so familiar to our BMS alums. Bonus on the 4-H Club? CRUSHING IT! :wink:
I'll be intrigued to see if this is the year Wauconda breaks through...
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mr_basque
Lulu

Post by mr_basque »

I can't find the regional pairings. I followed the link but it is blank am I missing something?
John B.
ACE staff member
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

mr_basque wrote:I can't find the regional pairings. I followed the link but it is blank am I missing something?
It was working earlier today but is definitely down. Whoops.
Greg Peterson

Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

mr_basque
Lulu

Post by mr_basque »

I don't suppose anyone copied the list or printed it somewhere? If so I would love an email [email protected]
John B.
ACE staff member
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

Has anyone else read Ron McGraw's interpretation of the IHSA rules regarding playing against college teams? If I understood correctly, as long as the team does not claim to represent their school nor does the school support the trip in any way, then such an "independent team" of players could legally play a college tournament. If I am correct, then this is not quite the devastating blow some were expecting.
Dr. Noah Prince

Normal Community High School (2002)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2004, 2007, 2008)

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)
guy in San Diego (2016-present)
President of Qblitz (2018-present)

jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Dominator wrote:Has anyone else read Ron McGraw's interpretation of the IHSA rules regarding playing against college teams? If I understood correctly, as long as the team does not claim to represent their school nor does the school support the trip in any way, then such an "independent team" of players could legally play a college tournament. If I am correct, then this is not quite the devastating blow some were expecting.
Right and right.
Jonah Greenthal
mrgsmath
Wakka

Post by mrgsmath »

Regarding the regional postings. McGraw was not aware that it got posted when they posted the State series pools. (Which are official by the way, they held the blind draw) He is making sure the pairings are correct and says it will be reposted later today.
Mark Grant
Coach - PORTA H.S.
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got ."
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Dominator wrote:Has anyone else read Ron McGraw's interpretation of the IHSA rules regarding playing against college teams? If I understood correctly, as long as the team does not claim to represent their school nor does the school support the trip in any way, then such an "independent team" of players could legally play a college tournament. If I am correct, then this is not quite the devastating blow some were expecting.
So, perhaps a team known as the Land of Lincoln Intrastate Higher Sciences Academy could attend a college tournament?
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Greg Peterson

Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

The Hub (Gainesville, Florida) wrote:
So, perhaps a team known as the Land of Lincoln Intrastate Higher Sciences Academy could attend a college tournament?
Yeah; for example, Team Illinois could go to MUT @ UIUC next month as long as Coach Greene, Coach Legendre, Coach Laird, and Coach Lorinskas (as well as Assistant Coaches Jonah, etc., and all appropriate administrators) didn't have any role in registering, paying, or transporting. (If Jay Winter did all of that himself, then that's fine.)

But that's not all - four students from Auburn could go to ACF Fall 2012 @ NIU (subtitle: It's Hypothetical!) as long as Coach Greene (and anyone else from Auburn's administration, etc.) had nothing to do with helping them get there. The kids register themselves, pay themselves, drive themselves there, they call themselves anything other than "Auburn" (well, something tells me the "Academy of Unusually Bright Upstanding Rockfordian Nerds" wouldn't go over well, but whatever) and it's fine.
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
mrgsmath
Wakka

Post by mrgsmath »

While it may not make me the most popular person on the boards. I think this ruling might show Mr. McGraw as more of a friend than many think him to be. He certainly could have taken a more rigid interpretation, and his reference to future matches that do not conform needing to be cancelled, might just suggest that he is willing to overlook the events that brought about the ruling in the first place. Whenever I have sat down to talk to him personally, I have found him open intelligent, and supportive of the best interests of the activity as he sees it. While his appearance in other venues, such as advisory meetings and the State finals is more rigid, that may be the reflection of his role as an IHSA administrator, which must remain true to the letter of the By-Laws. Recent articles in the paper have also indicated that the IHSA has been investigating other sports for violations, so this may have been a more broader issue than just Scholastic Bowl and McGraw sought to bring about a quick resolution that would keep us out of a more broad controversy. We should certainly rejoice in the opportunities the decision offers, but perhaps refrain from making it sound like McGraw isn't aware of what he did and how it affects the programs.
Mark Grant
Coach - PORTA H.S.
mr_basque
Lulu

Post by mr_basque »

Are there any thoughts about how IHSA format is not the same by definition as college? Does that affect this ruling?
John B.
ACE staff member
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

No; the relevant IHSA bylaw concerns all competitive activities.
Jonah Greenthal
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

mrgsmath wrote:While it may not make me the most popular person on the boards. I think this ruling might show Mr. McGraw as more of a friend than many think him to be. He certainly could have taken a more rigid interpretation, and his reference to future matches that do not conform needing to be cancelled, might just suggest that he is willing to overlook the events that brought about the ruling in the first place. Whenever I have sat down to talk to him personally, I have found him open intelligent, and supportive of the best interests of the activity as he sees it. While his appearance in other venues, such as advisory meetings and the State finals is more rigid, that may be the reflection of his role as an IHSA administrator, which must remain true to the letter of the By-Laws. Recent articles in the paper have also indicated that the IHSA has been investigating other sports for violations, so this may have been a more broader issue than just Scholastic Bowl and McGraw sought to bring about a quick resolution that would keep us out of a more broad controversy. We should certainly rejoice in the opportunities the decision offers, but perhaps refrain from making it sound like McGraw isn't aware of what he did and how it affects the programs.
I am very, very happy with McGraw's new interpretation of the rules - it allows schools to do what they are responsible for doing under IHSA bylaws while allowing students to do what they like with their free time. Furthermore, it gives a great deal of clarification on the 18 dates of Scholastic Bowl versus infinite quizbowl issue; we now have an official IHSA statement that says 4v4 high school quizbowl is unlimited by the IHSA in every respect - this is a great thing to give to new coaches and administrators who might be confused about the two-sided nature of the game. I'm looking forward to thanking him in person for his work on this issue; he responded very quickly to EVERYONE involved - the original complaint was, I assume, brought up after last week's seeding meeting; he then spoke with the concerned schools on Tuesday, and we had an official ruling by Thursday that satisfies literally everyone and presents us with a clear message on what to do from now on. That's great administrating.

Going forward, students who wish to play against college teams will want to get organized very far in advance. Decide on going to the tournament early. Get your packet written early, if you need to/want to. Get your transportation organized early - talk to your parents about this, make sure you don't tell them the night before "oh, hey, can you give me a ride to DeKalb/Champaign/wherever tomorrow morning and stay for 10 hours and drive me back?" or, even worse, "oh, hey, I know it's 5 in the morning, but Dylan Minarik is driving me and two other high schoolers 3 hours to Champaign to play quizbowl for 8-10 hours, after which he's driving us back 3 hours, and hey, there's no parental supervision at all except for the college students we're competing against. Bye!"

Get organized early, because you no longer have us coaches* doing the work for you. :grin:

*Disclaimer - I just drive the bus. Prince does all the real work.
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Wackford Squeers
Wakka

Post by Wackford Squeers »

Bone seeker wrote: Yeah; for example, Team Illinois could go to MUT @ UIUC next month as long as Coach Greene, Coach Legendre, Coach Laird, and Coach Lorinskas (as well as Assistant Coaches Jonah, etc., and all appropriate administrators) didn't have any role in registering, paying, or transporting. (If Jay Winter did all of that himself, then that's fine.)
Would Coach Lorinskas be able to accompany the team in her capacity as a Team Illinois coach? The fact that Illinois quizbowl people wear multiple hats makes Coach Chrzanowski's post in the other thread more immediately relevant. Like, what if Coach Lorinskas dropped me off at MUT on the way to the IHSSBCA banquet? (Which was something we had discussed.) When is a coach a coach?

edit: qualifier
Ben Chametzky
University of Chicago, 2016
Carbondale Community High School, 2012
IHSSBCA High School Liaison 2011-2012
mrgsmath
Wakka

Post by mrgsmath »

Antonio Sant'Elia wrote:
Bone seeker wrote: Yeah; for example, Team Illinois could go to MUT @ UIUC next month as long as Coach Greene, Coach Legendre, Coach Laird, and Coach Lorinskas (as well as Assistant Coaches Jonah, etc., and all appropriate administrators) didn't have any role in registering, paying, or transporting. (If Jay Winter did all of that himself, then that's fine.)
Would Coach Lorinskas be able to accompany the team in her capacity as a Team Illinois coach? The fact that Illinois quizbowl people wear multiple hats makes Coach Chrzanowski's post in the other thread more immediately relevant. Like, what if Coach Lorinskas dropped me off at MUT on the way to the IHSSBCA banquet? (Which was something we had discussed.) When is a coach a coach?

edit: qualifier
The IHSA would regard her role as an IHSA coach and employee of an IHSA member school as ongoing and not suspended when she puts on another hat. She is also bound to uphold the spirit and intent of the IHSA ruling as part of the the overall organization, meaning she cannot facilitate the participation of any other IHSA member in a violation of the ruling. Otherwise I could take Jay's Greenville team to ACF and fund it through PORTA, and he would take my team funded through Greenville. No school or individual covered under the IHSA membership can facilitate in any manner a violation the ruling.
Mark Grant
Coach - PORTA H.S.
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

mrgsmath wrote:The IHSA would regard her role as an IHSA coach and employee of an IHSA member school as ongoing and not suspended when she puts on another hat. She is also bound to uphold the spirit and intent of the IHSA ruling as part of the the overall organization, meaning she cannot facilitate the participation of any other IHSA member in a violation of the ruling. Otherwise I could take Jay's Greenville team to ACF and fund it through PORTA, and he would take my team funded through Greenville. No school or individual covered under the IHSA membership can facilitate in any manner a violation the ruling.
Is this conjecture, or do you have a citation or case study to support this claim?
Jonah Greenthal
Charles Martel
Wakka

Post by Charles Martel »

I'm not very good at being correct on these forums, but it seems to me like the coach of Team Illinois coaching a Team Illinois at a college tournament that happened to include one of her players wouldn't be violating the spirit of the ruling, since neither the team nor the coach is representing any school.
Adam Kalinich
MIT 2012-
Illinois Math and Science Academy 2009-2012
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

whitesoxfan wrote:I'm not very good at being correct on these forums
hate to tell you
but it seems to me like the coach of Team Illinois coaching a Team Illinois at a college tournament that happened to include one of her players wouldn't be violating the spirit of the ruling, since neither the team nor the coach is representing any school.
Student+coach = school representation, as does student+school name or student+funds, so it seems like - unless the IHSA gives a waiver for Team Illinois - it might be an issue.
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Bone seeker wrote:
whitesoxfan wrote:but it seems to me like the coach of Team Illinois coaching a Team Illinois at a college tournament that happened to include one of her players wouldn't be violating the spirit of the ruling, since neither the team nor the coach is representing any school.
Student+coach = school representation, as does student+school name or student+funds, so it seems like - unless the IHSA gives a waiver for Team Illinois - it might be an issue.
But what school is that team representing?
Jonah Greenthal
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

jonah wrote:
Bone seeker wrote:
whitesoxfan wrote:but it seems to me like the coach of Team Illinois coaching a Team Illinois at a college tournament that happened to include one of her players wouldn't be violating the spirit of the ruling, since neither the team nor the coach is representing any school.
It's not just school representation - it's also school assistance, such as coaching.
Ron McGraw's statement wrote:Individuals that may be a member of a high school team could compete against college teams (or other non-high school team) during the school year provided that no one from their high school is involved in any respect with their participation in the college (non-high school) contest(s).
Also,
IHSA Bylaw 2.100 ALL-STAR TEAMS AND GAMES wrote:No athletic team from any member school may compete against an “all-star” team. No school official from a member school shall assist, either directly or indirectly, with any contest by an all-star team during the school year, unless the contest is approved by the Board of Directors.
Note 1: It says athletic, but being in Section 2 (School Bylaws) makes me think it would be interpreted as "any IHSA event" the same way that this week's event transpired.
Note 2: Seeing as how Team Illinois has operated for years and years, it seems likely that the IHSSBCA has successfully gotten that Board approval, and it further seems likely that such approval allows such coach/player interaction outside of school representation. If the phrase "athletic" means the IHSA doesn't care about Team Illinois, then I have no freaking clue what's going on.
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Bone seeker wrote:
jonah wrote:
Bone seeker wrote:
It's not just school representation - it's also school assistance, such as coaching.
Ron McGraw's statement wrote:Individuals that may be a member of a high school team could compete against college teams (or other non-high school team) during the school year provided that no one from their high school is involved in any respect with their participation in the college (non-high school) contest(s).
Well, I'm asking about what the actual by-laws say, not what Ron McGraw's possibly-incorrect interpretation of the week is. He may not have been speaking precisely; the bylaws themselves appear at least unclear.
Jonah Greenthal
tinioril
Lulu

Illinois All-Star Discussion

Post by tinioril »

EDIT: Reposted below.
Last edited by tinioril on Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ned Lauber
Vanderbilt '16
David Riley
Auron

Re: IHSA

Post by David Riley »

Thanks for posting, Ned, but All-State is independent of IHSA. Just saying.
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

An interesting thing in Class AA was that every single voter placed Bernard and Matt from BG next to each other sequentially in their rankings.
tinioril
Lulu

Post by tinioril »

Oh wow I mistook this topic for Illinois '11-'12. Should someone/I move it?
Ned Lauber
Vanderbilt '16
tinioril
Lulu

Post by tinioril »

REPOST In Relevant Topic
In Illinois '11-'12 news, unrelated to the IHSA State Series...
I am surprised at the lack of discussion on the All-State picks. So discuss!
They've been up since Wednesday morning or Tuesday night.

2012 All-State Selections - Class A

First Team
Charley Ault, Cumberland
Ted Doellman, Athens
Collin Dunn, Fairfield
Kanhai Farrakhan, Keith Country Day (Rockford)
Sam Newberry, Illini West
Mark Ragle, Decatur Lutheran
Duncan Ryan, Peoria Heights
Kyle Sottoriva, Carlinville
Cheryl Wassenaar, Chicago Christian (Palos Heights)
David York, Litchfield

Second Team
Jared Bowman, Cumberland (Toledo)
Sam Dunbar, Bishop McNamara (Kankakee)
Brett Jackson, Johnston City
Drew Kluemke, Williamsville
Kendall Knapp, Roanoke-Benson
Joe Lasser, Ridgeview (Colfax)
Cameron Letterly, Warrensburg-Latham
Jonathon Montgomery, Southwestern (Piasa)
Thomas Ottens, Fulton
Rachel Stowell, New Berlin

2012 All-State Selections - Class AA

First Team
Ben Chametzky, Carbondale
Webster Guan, IMSA (Aurora)
Abid Haseeb, Auburn (Rockford)
Adam Kalinich, IMSA
Alex Kling, Latin School (Chicago)
Dylan Minarik, Belvidere North
Lloyd Sy, Auburn
Andrew Wang, New Trier (Winnetka)
Tristan Willey, Macomb
Nolan Winkler, Loyola Academy (Wilmette)

Second Team
Chris Olsen, Centennial (Champaign)
Eric Ordoñez, IMSA
Srinivas Panchamukhi, Carbondale
Anand Poozhikunnel, Wheaton Warrenville South
Johnny Smith, Springfield
Blake Tutt, Fenton (Bensenville)
Morgan Venkus, Loyola Academy
Matt Wilber, Buffalo Grove
Bernard Xie, Buffalo Grove
Marcel Youkhana, Loyola Academy
Ned Lauber
Vanderbilt '16
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

So much for moving things!
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
garciaja
Lulu

Post by garciaja »

Where are the Peoria Christian girls?
James Garcia
Champaign Centennial High School Coach
Player for Springfield Southeast '04
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

garciaja wrote:Where are the Peoria Christian girls?
Looking at the list, it baffles me how the team that swept both Masonic and IHSA in A without dropping a game didn't have two.

My hypothesis is that Bethany and Brittany are a two-headed giant, thus they don't stick out in A voters' minds as being individually great. Then again, they can have the two large pieces of hardware speak for them.
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

garciaja wrote:Where are the Peoria Christian girls?
They weren't nominated. Or else they were nominated for All-Sectional but didn't make that, which seems unlikely.
Jonah Greenthal
tintinnabulation
Wakka

Post by tintinnabulation »

We weren't nominated at all because my coach didn't/didn't have time to fill out the paperwork and prepare and stuff. I'm disappointed, but he's been going through a really tough time lately and I can forgive him. But looking at the list, I think we both would have made First Team, which makes me sad.
Brittany Trang
Ohio State
Northwestern
Boeing X-20, Please!
Rikku

Post by Boeing X-20, Please! »

I think it will be interesting to see how much the phenomenon of 3-time All-States rises as we now play good quizbowl and there are abundant study resources, which perhaps makes it easier to either identify good players earlier or allow more people to become good earlier, seeing as the only person to do it in the older era was Greg Gauthier but we now have 3 people who did it this year and it looks as is we'll have 2 more come 2014.
EDIT: Deveau also did it last year. And Siva a while back. The QBWiki page was quite outdated, it seems.
Nolan Winkler
Loyola Academy '12
UChicago '16
tinioril
Lulu

Post by tinioril »

Tristan Willey also technically did it, bringing this year's count to 4.
It's also interesting that Marcel "took a gap year". I wonder how prevalent that is.
Ned Lauber
Vanderbilt '16
Boeing X-20, Please!
Rikku

Post by Boeing X-20, Please! »

tinioril wrote:Tristan Willey also technically did it, bringing this year's count to 4.
It's also interesting that Marcel "took a gap year". I wonder how prevalent that is.
Yeah, silly me. I was thinking Tristan and Dylan were still sophomores (hence my 2014 thing) and thus didn't check far back enough for Tristan and gave Dylan another year in which he could do it (which I now see that Dylan can't - although he possibly should have - and Tristan already has).
Last edited by Boeing X-20, Please! on Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nolan Winkler
Loyola Academy '12
UChicago '16
Harpie's Feather Duster
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

Yeah, my application was filled out incorrectly last year and didn't get counted, which is unfortunate, but alright. A possible two years of All-State is pretty awesome in its own right.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
tintinnabulation
Wakka

Post by tintinnabulation »

Gus Honeybun wrote:I think it will be interesting to see how much the phenomenon of 3-time All-States rises as we now play good quizbowl and there are abundant study resources, which perhaps makes it easier to either identify good players earlier or allow more people to become good earlier, seeing as the only person to do it in the older era was Greg Gauthier but we now have 3 people who did it this year and it looks as is we'll have 2 more come 2014.
EDIT: Deveau also did it last year. And Siva a while back. The QBWiki page was quite outdated, it seems.
Has anyone four-timed it since Weiss, the only mention on the QBWiki page? David York from Litchfield is only a sophomore, but he has the potential to make All-State all four years for Class A.
Brittany Trang
Ohio State
Northwestern
African threadfish
Lulu

Post by African threadfish »

tinioril wrote:REPOST In Relevant Topic
In Illinois '11-'12 news, unrelated to the IHSA State Series...
I am surprised at the lack of discussion on the All-State picks. So discuss!
They've been up since Wednesday morning or Tuesday night.

2012 All-State Selections - Class A

First Team
Charley Ault, Cumberland
Ted Doellman, Athens
Collin Dunn, Fairfield
Kanhai Farrakhan, Keith Country Day (Rockford)
Sam Newberry, Illini West
Mark Ragle, Decatur Lutheran
Duncan Ryan, Peoria Heights
Kyle Sottoriva, Carlinville
Cheryl Wassenaar, Chicago Christian (Palos Heights)
David York, Litchfield

Second Team
Jared Bowman, Cumberland (Toledo)
Sam Dunbar, Bishop McNamara (Kankakee)
Brett Jackson, Johnston City
Drew Kluemke, Williamsville
Kendall Knapp, Roanoke-Benson
Joe Lasser, Ridgeview (Colfax)
Cameron Letterly, Warrensburg-Latham
Jonathon Montgomery, Southwestern (Piasa)
Thomas Ottens, Fulton
Rachel Stowell, New Berlin

2012 All-State Selections - Class AA

First Team
Ben Chametzky, Carbondale
Webster Guan, IMSA (Aurora)
Abid Haseeb, Auburn (Rockford)
Adam Kalinich, IMSA
Alex Kling, Latin School (Chicago)
Dylan Minarik, Belvidere North
Lloyd Sy, Auburn
Andrew Wang, New Trier (Winnetka)
Tristan Willey, Macomb
Nolan Winkler, Loyola Academy (Wilmette)

Second Team
Chris Olsen, Centennial (Champaign)
Eric Ordoñez, IMSA
Srinivas Panchamukhi, Carbondale
Anand Poozhikunnel, Wheaton Warrenville South
Johnny Smith, Springfield
Blake Tutt, Fenton (Bensenville)
Morgan Venkus, Loyola Academy
Matt Wilber, Buffalo Grove
Bernard Xie, Buffalo Grove
Marcel Youkhana, Loyola Academy
May I trouble someone for the weblink for this? I was unable to find it on the IHSA site. Many thanks!
Kristin Burns -Middle School and High School Scholastic Bowl Coach
Keith Country Day School - Rockford, Illinois