Delaware State NAQT Championship - CANCELLED

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Delaware State NAQT Championship - CANCELLED

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

The Delaware State NAQT Championship will indeed be hosted by Mt. Pleasant High School in Wilmington, Delaware on Saturday March 31st. I am posting this on behalf of Mt. Pleasant and their coach, Tom Stansell.

Because of the late notice, this tournament will be offered FOR FREE.

It will be using NAQT's set IS-116, designated for state championships.

More details will be forthcoming, but here's what i know so far.

Team registration will be from 8:30 to 9:00am in the school library near the front lobby. Teams can be expected to play 4-5 matches before lunch. Lunch options are numerous around the school within walking distance, and teams will be given at least one hour for that. After lunch, teams will play another 4-5 playoff games in new brackets, with the tournament expected to end at 4:00-5:00pm.

If you are interested in attending, PLEASE E-MAIL TOM STANSELL AT [email protected] with the following information:
~the name of your school
~how many teams you are bringing (do NOT bring more than 2 if you are not bringing any buzzers)
~how many buzzers/lockout systems you are bringing (this is very important)
~how many competent and knowledgeable moderators you are bringing

E-mail me or Tom if you have any questions. Please register soon; this tournament is already in just 11 days!!
Last edited by Down and out in Quintana Roo on Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Auron

Re: Delaware State NAQT Championship - Mt. Pleasant HS, March 31

I'll keep a field update here if anyone cares:

Caesar Rodney (3 teams, 1 buzzer, 1 moderator)
Charter (8 teams, 3 buzzers, ? moderators)
Mount Pleasant (2 teams, 1 buzzer, 1 moderator)
Concord (1 team, ? buzzers, ? moderators)
Last edited by Down and out in Quintana Roo on Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:29 am, edited 5 times in total.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Auron

Triple post. Fun.

Anyway, if there is anyone out there, it is likely that we will need serious help in this tournament. I know that UD quizbowl members are attending ICT this day, but if there are any other UD alumni or extra teammates who are not attending, please please help us out here on the 31st. We may desperately need your assistance, moderating skills, and extra buzzer sets.

Thanks in advance. We really appreciate any assistance anyone can offer.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

I'll try to recruit as many people as possible tomorrow at practice, but I have no guarantees as to how many people will go.
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

"I have something to say about the difference between American and European cities. But I've forgotten what it is. I have it written down at home somewhere." - David Byrne
Auron

I'm not sure what other Delaware schools read this message board, but sign up for this tournament! It's free!!

I've updated the field, to at least show that this won't be solely a CR/Charter Challenge.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Ravi
Lulu

Post by Ravi »

This is just an idea but if you want more team diversity you could invite some of the local middle school teams. Some of them are really good and could give some of the high school teams a run for their money. It's a bit late but maybe a couple more dedicated teams from schools the Independence and NCS may register.
Ravi Suba
Wilmington Charter '13
Berkeley '17
Auron

Ravi wrote:This is just an idea but if you want more team diversity you could invite some of the local middle school teams. Some of them are really good and could give some of the high school teams a run for their money. It's a bit late but maybe a couple more dedicated teams from schools the Independence and NCS may register.
You're welcome to contact them. You (or Mr. Tressler, or some Charter advisor) have their information. Or, at least, pass it on to me.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Auron

As i mentioned before, this tournament is in serious need of help. We need competent moderators and buzzer systems. I'm trying to locate all i can (including contacting CR alumni) but there's only so much i can do when it's a tournament my school isn't even hosting.

If you're in the area and available this day, please help us so Delaware can have a legitimate state championship.

We'd appreciate it so much.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Auron

Re: Delaware State NAQT Championship - CANCELLED

Nevermind. This tournament was cancelled about a half hour ago with no prior notification or notice. Let's hope we get our money back for the bus we had to charter.

Thanks everyone for your lack of interest.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
jesswongx
Kimahri

Post by jesswongx »

Sorry that we registered so late, my school's always kind of late on these things, and I'm the only one with an account on the forums. Nobody seems to want to sign up, including our coach. Is it possible to reschedule this for a later date? Concord has an interest in hosting. We were going to call dibs on hosting it this year, but obviously, we never know what's going on...
Jessica Wong
Concord High School
Senior '12
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

List of villages in West Virginia wrote:Nevermind. This tournament was cancelled about a half hour ago with no prior notification or notice. Let's hope we get our money back for the bus we had to charter.
Tournament cancellations less than a week prior to the event are not acceptable. This causes teams to try to change plans with only a few days, often resulting in trying to plan travel in excess of 100 miles to play an event on the same date. A similar circumstance happened to me a few months ago, causing me to take a trip to the Richmond area (to play in an albeit excellent and well-run tournament) on just a couple days planning. Just the logistics made it so that we were almost not able to play anything at all. More play for teams that want it: good. Less play for teams that want more: bad.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
Auron

jesswongx wrote:Sorry that we registered so late, my school's always kind of late on these things, and I'm the only one with an account on the forums. Nobody seems to want to sign up, including our coach. Is it possible to reschedule this for a later date? Concord has an interest in hosting. We were going to call dibs on hosting it this year, but obviously, we never know what's going on...
Our weekends are basically filled the rest of the year, so i'm not sure we'd be able to attend. It's better to forget about it. If we couldn't work it out now, it's not going to happen.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
tribble
Lulu

Post by tribble »

For anybody who still wants to play some quizbowl this weekend and is willing to drive to the DC metro area, TJ's mirror of Prison Bowl has one spot left. Registrations will close at noon tomorrow or when we reach 18 teams, whichever comes first.
Sarah
TJHSST '13
jesswongx
Kimahri

Post by jesswongx »

List of villages in West Virginia wrote:
jesswongx wrote:Sorry that we registered so late, my school's always kind of late on these things, and I'm the only one with an account on the forums. Nobody seems to want to sign up, including our coach. Is it possible to reschedule this for a later date? Concord has an interest in hosting. We were going to call dibs on hosting it this year, but obviously, we never know what's going on...
Our weekends are basically filled the rest of the year, so i'm not sure we'd be able to attend. It's better to forget about it. If we couldn't work it out now, it's not going to happen.
Alright, nevermind then.
Jessica Wong
Concord High School
Senior '12
aeandrews
Kimahri

Post by aeandrews »

Mr. Chrzanowski,

I am really sorry that this tournament didn't work out and that it was cancelled at the last minute. Thank you for your efforts in trying to get this running. As you can probably tell, our coach and our acbowl program are more than a little scattered (in fact, I wasn't aware that the tournament was cancelled until I just now saw this post). Good luck at TJ this weekend.

Jessica,

I don't know if it's worth it if CR can't attend, but Mount would definitely participate if this were rescheduled and you guys hosted. Our weekends are pretty wide open.

Again, I'm really sorry about this.
Amy Andrews
Mount Pleasant HS '12
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

We ran up against the same brick wall in Delaware this year trying to organize for NHBB. If any area schools want to play quizbowl not too far away, it's not too late to sign up for the Southern New Jersey iteration of NHBB's C Set on Monday at Monsignor Donovan High School in Toms River, NJ (about 1.25 hours from the Delaware Memorial Bridge). Tournament runs from about 4-8pm. Email me or see http://www.historybowl.com/regionalsite ... ew-jersey/ for more. Sign up at www.historybowl.com/registration. Single teams and aliases welcome.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
Black-throated Antshrike
Rikku

Post by Black-throated Antshrike »

List of villages in West Virginia wrote:Nevermind. This tournament was cancelled about a half hour ago with no prior notification or notice. Let's hope we get our money back for the bus we had to charter.

Thanks everyone for your lack of interest.
Who cancelled this? I just checked my email and I saw this. I also thought more schools had managed to register than the two indicated in the email.
Joe
Delaware
Auron

Mount Pleasant's coach e-mailed me (after not responding to about 4 or 5 of my e-mails in the last two days) the same thing that you got.

I was under the impression that Concord had signed up, when they hadn't. I was also under the impression that Mount Pleasant would have two teams, when apparently that was never official either (he claimed, when i called him on the phone, to not have seen them "in a couple weeks.")

Even though i had created schedules for 14 teams and 12 teams, roster forms, playoff- and consolation-ready brackets, and had secured at least THREE Caesar Rodney alumni to ride on the bus with us to help at this tournament... he just decided to cancel it because it could have just been two schools playing one another and he did not want to put on a "half-baked" job of a tournament. So, nothing is better than something apparently.

It makes me ashamed to be from a state that cares so little about this. Not a single Delaware school has yet to register for Rider Bowl either even though every high school got a letter and e-mail from us, so, yeah, awesome. Great job Delaware.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

What a productive, problem solving approach!
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White