MUT at Tulane (4/14)

Old college threads.
TulaneKQB
Wakka

MUT at Tulane (4/14)

Post by TulaneKQB »

This is an announcement that Tulane will be hosting a mirror of the Minnesota Undergraduate Tournament (MUT) on April 14th (4/14). The difficulty of this event will be "roughly the same as past incarnations, which means slightly harder than ACF Fall and slightly easier than ACF Regionals." General information about MUT can be found here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... =8&t=12309

Fees:
Base of $80 per team
-$5 per competent staffer/moderator (no limit)
-$5 per buzzer system (no limit)
-$5 per 200 miles traveled (one way)
-$10 for schools bringing more than one team

Eligibility:
As the name of the tournament suggests, this is an undergraduate event for undergraduates only.

Registration/Times:
Registration will begin at 8:30AM, with the goal of starting the tournament by 9.

Location/Parking:
Similar to other Tulane-hosted events, this tournament will most likely be held in the Norman Mayer Building on Tulane's academic quad. Norman Mayer is number 6 on this campus map (http://tulane.edu/about/visiting/uptown-campus-map.cfm), located on Law Road and St. Charles Avenue. Most of you know what you're doing in terms of parking; if that's the case, awesome. If not:
Parking on campus is free over the weekend--I suggest parking in front of Howard-Tilton Memorial Library (#60) on Newcomb Place. To reach Norman Mayer from this location, walk across Freret Street and down Law Road; Norman Mayer is a large grey building that will be the seventh building on your left.

Payment:
Payment can be made in cash or checks made out to "Tulane University Quiz Bowl." Contact me if you need an invoice in advance.

Contact information:
Ryan McLaren
[email protected]

Interested teams:
Bama
UAH
Auburn
ULL
Last edited by TulaneKQB on Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:34 am, edited 5 times in total.
Ryan McLaren
President, Tulane University Krewe of Quiz Bowl (2009-12)
Member, Louisiana Quiz Bowl (http://www.louisianaquizbowl.org/)
Tulane University Law School '15
TulaneKQB
Wakka

Re: MUT at Tulane (4/21)

Post by TulaneKQB »

This event was originally listed as being on 4/14, which I had forgotten is the day of the Louisiana NAQT State tournament at LSU. Consequently, it has been moved to 4/21.
Ryan McLaren
TulaneKQB
Wakka

Re: MUT at Tulane (4/21)

Post by TulaneKQB »

TulaneKQB wrote:This event was originally listed as being on 4/14, which I had forgotten is the day of the Louisiana NAQT State tournament at LSU. Consequently, it has been moved to 4/21.
Actually, 4/21 is Crawfest at Tulane, so it has been moved back to the 4/14 with apologies to LSU and anyone confused by my commenting in circles.
Ryan McLaren
jmannor2
Wakka

Re: MUT at Tulane (4/14)

Post by jmannor2 »

Consider one team from Auburn interested.

Also, I don't think Jacksonville is associated with any other universities.
Joey Mannor
DAR High School '11
Auburn '15
TulaneKQB
Wakka

Post by TulaneKQB »

jmannor2 wrote: Also, I don't think Jacksonville is associated with any other universities.
I didn't think they were, but I thought that teaming up with you guys might be the only way they could travel to things. I've only ever seen that one guy on your trash team at the TERP mirror, so I didn't/don't know if they get around otherwise.
Ryan McLaren
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

Post by 49-Mile Scenic Drive »

TulaneKQB wrote: Eligibility:
As the name of the tournament suggests, this is an undergraduate event for undergraduates only. I'm open to allowing satellite or especially small schools to compete with their larger/better-funded neighbors/counterparts (UAH, Jacksonville, etc.), although I'd prefer it if each school had its own team. Contact me if this applies to you and we'll work something out.
I'd have no problem doing this but UAH's "team" is basically me and one other guy. The only money we have is in our own personal bank accounts. The only way I would ever go to a tournament as UAH (for the time being at least) is if Alabama didn't send their own team and even then I may not even have the money to do so. Next year I'm going to try to get a team started here in Huntsville. However until that occurs, I'm going to be playing for UA, not because I enjoy the fact that they have money, but because it's just an easier way for me to play a game that I thoroughly enjoy. If the scenario of Alabama not sending a team to this occurs, I will be more than happy to contact you about UAH fielding a team.
Mark Morris
University of Alabama-Huntsville '13
Auburn Pharmacy '19
TulaneKQB
Wakka

Post by TulaneKQB »

49-Mile Scenic Drive wrote: I'd have no problem doing this but UAH's "team" is basically me and one other guy. The only money we have is in our own personal bank accounts. The only way I would ever go to a tournament as UAH (for the time being at least) is if Alabama didn't send their own team and even then I may not even have the money to do so. Next year I'm going to try to get a team started here in Huntsville. However until that occurs, I'm going to be playing for UA, not because I enjoy the fact that they have money, but because it's just an easier way for me to play a game that I thoroughly enjoy. If the scenario of Alabama not sending a team to this occurs, I will be more than happy to contact you about UAH fielding a team.
Sorry if that came off as scornful or anything close to it. I'm totally OK with UAH playing with Bama, especially if it's the difference between you guys coming or not. In a perfect world, all of the schools in the Lower South, big and small, would be fully funded and we could compete against each other every other weekend; obviously (and unfortunately) that isn't case. I know you guys are doing what you can with what you've got.
Ryan McLaren
Papa's in the House
Tidus

Post by Papa's in the House »

TulaneKQB wrote:I'm open to allowing satellite or especially small schools to compete with their larger/better-funded neighbors/counterparts (UAH, Jacksonville, etc.), although I'd prefer it if each school had its own team.
ACF Rules wrote:5.2. Otherwise, players from schools which are branch campuses, members of the same university system, or otherwise formally affiliated with another school, may choose to play for an affiliated school if no team exists at their actual school and they are engaging in their only available option for participation. Players may not play for affiliated schools for the primary purpose of gaining a competitive advantage... The determination of whether a team exists at a given school or whether this rule is being abused to gain a competitive advantage is solely at the discretion of a tournament’s editor.
Charles Martin Jr.
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Academic Buzzer Team | President
B.S. in Accountancy, August 2011
B.S. in Finance, August 2011
MAS Program, Class of 2012
TulaneKQB
Wakka

Post by TulaneKQB »

Thanks for the clarification. I don't think UAH is trying to get some kind of competitive advantage, which is why I'm all right with letting them compete with Bama Prime. I was trying to articulate that in the "Eligibility" section, but apparently didn't do a very good job of it. I'll remove that part, assuming that it really only matters to UAH anyway. Sorry if there was any confusion.
Ryan McLaren
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

My response probably came off as a little different tone than what I intended. I totally understand your point though. Like I said hopefully ill have a team here next year, and maybe host a tournament. You can expect me at MUT in some capacity whether it be for UA or UAH if no bama team is fielded. I've always wanted to visit new orleans and look forward to it.
Mark Morris
Auburn Pharmacy '19
BucsMath
Lulu

Post by BucsMath »

Consider Alabama interested for this tournament. Since this is undergrad only and decently far away, we'd likely only have one team between us and UAH.
Justin Tarbox
Hoover High School '10
University of Alabama '14
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

BucsMath wrote:Consider Alabama interested for this tournament. Since this is undergrad only and decently far away, we'd likely only have one team between us and UAH.
To further update on UAH's situation, it's quite possible I may be the only person coming. So in such an event that Bama has no team and I come by myself, a solo discount would be totally awesome, or some other scenario that we could work out.
Mark Morris
Auburn Pharmacy '19
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Post by The Ununtiable Twine »

BucsMath wrote:Consider Alabama interested for this tournament. Since this is undergrad only and decently far away, we'd likely only have one team between us and UAH.
My nephew misses me dearly, so count me in as staff for the moment (as long as Alabama attends).
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
TulaneKQB
Wakka

Post by TulaneKQB »

49-Mile Scenic Drive wrote:
To further update on UAH's situation, it's quite possible I may be the only person coming. So in such an event that Bama has no team and I come by myself, a solo discount would be totally awesome, or some other scenario that we could work out.
Just try to let me know in advance and we'll figure something out.
Ryan McLaren
TulaneKQB
Wakka

Post by TulaneKQB »

From the tournament's main page, if anyone had any questions about eligibility:
Note about eligibility:

This tournament is for undergraduates. You can be any year in playing as an undergraduate as long as you are in a typical degree-earning program. By undergraduate, I am defining as "have not earned a bachelor's degree" or the equivalent of such (i.e., you can have played five years of college quizbowl and still be an undergraduate).

You can play if you are a high schooler.

You cannot play if you are not in school at all. If you graduated like in the fall, you can play--that's cool.

You cannot play on an open team. You must play for your college or educational institution (obviously if you need to "go rogue" as a high schooler that's okay). We are aware that occasionally field sizes may require some flexibility here--please contact us if this is something that needs resolved.

You cannot play if you are a graduate student. I am aware that there are occasional gray areas here, so I would urge all TD's to run any potential "question mark" eligibility cases with the MUT editors. If we determine there is a bad faith example of eligibility gaps being broken, we will not be amused.

THESE RESTRICTIONS APPLY TO EVERY SITE, NOT JUST THE MAIN SITE.
Ryan McLaren
Fond du lac operon
Wakka

Post by Fond du lac operon »

Hey, is this still happening? It's scheduled for a week from now, but the field is, um, kind of small, so...
Harrison Brown
Centennial '08, Alabama '13

"No idea what [he's] talking about."
TulaneKQB
Wakka

Post by TulaneKQB »

We're still planning on running it with six teams (two TU, one Bama, one UAH, one Auburn, and one ULL).
Ryan McLaren
TulaneKQB
Wakka

Post by TulaneKQB »

UAH just dropped, which means we're probably just going to split Tulane up into three teams (assuming that everyone else is still bringing one team down).
Ryan McLaren
Fond du lac operon
Wakka

Post by Fond du lac operon »

Unfortunately Alabama won't be able to make it either. Sorry for the late notice!
Harrison Brown
Centennial '08, Alabama '13

"No idea what [he's] talking about."
jmannor2
Wakka

Post by jmannor2 »

We are still coming! Also, we are going to split into two teams if that's alright.
Joey Mannor
DAR High School '11
Auburn '15
TulaneKQB
Wakka

Post by TulaneKQB »

Tulane A went 9-0 and then lost to a combined Auburn team in a tenth round match. Thanks to Minnesota for writing a great set--it was a lot of fun. Usual reminder not to discuss the questions from this tournament in this thread. Stats to be posted soon.
Ryan McLaren
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Post by The Ununtiable Twine »

Have we the general results of this event?
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
An Intergalactic Puzzlepalooza
Lulu

Post by An Intergalactic Puzzlepalooza »

Serious Games Showcase and Challenge wrote:Have we the general results of this event?
Sheerly from memory, through 6 prelim rounds(Round Robin, plus 1 against a random other. Auburn A got Tulane B twice, Auburn insert-random-Greek-letter-to-be-named-later-here got Tulane C twice, ULL got Tulane A twice):

Tulane A: 6-0
Auburn A: 5-1
Auburn insert-random-Greek-letter-to-be-named-later-here: 3-3
ULL: 2-4
Tulane C: 2-4
Tulane B: 1-5

Then, in 3 extra rounds, in which the 1, 2, and 3 all played the 4, 5, and 6:

Tulane A: 3-0
Auburn A: 2-1
Auburn insert-random-Greek-letter-to-be-named-later-here: 3-0
ULL: 0-3
Tulane C: 1-2
Tulane B: 0-3

Then, because we had nothing better to do:

Combined Auburn beat Tulane A.

As for some form of statistics, the only ones I have were that Auburn insert-random-Greek-letter-to-be-named-later-here had a PPG and PPB of 206.66 and 13.92, and combined Auburn had a PPG and PPB of 290 and 17.27 for that one round. I also can approximate my own PPG, as well as Neil's, but I didn't keep track of whose negs were whose, so there would be a decent variance.
Joseph Nation
Oak Mountain High School, '11.
Auburn '15
The Luce Ends
Kimahri

Post by The Luce Ends »

You can now view the stats from this mirror at the following link: http://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/97 ... all_games/

Congratulations to the winners of the championship round, Auburn A, and much thanks to those who traveled to participate!
Tulane University Krewe of Quizbowl
Lucy Binns, Vice President/Amateur Detective