Dallas/North Texas Circuit?

New high school teams looking for advice should post here.
Chandragupta Maurya
Lulu

Dallas/North Texas Circuit?

Post by Chandragupta Maurya »

So, there is something that has been troubling me for a while, namely that Dallas doesn't have a real circuit to speak of.
I know Mr. Romero of the TQBA and Mr. Mlakar of St. Mark's are trying to make inroads, and I was wondering if there was anything I could do that may accelerate the growth of a Dallas-area circuit.
Does anyone have any advice on how to go about setting up a circuit?
Vimal Konduri
Cistercian Preparatory School '13
Harvard '17
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Re: Dallas/North Texas Circuit?

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Does Cistercian host tournaments? Making good tournaments happen in your circuit is the most powerful thing you can do to spread good quizbowl in a quizbowl deficient area.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Chandragupta Maurya
Lulu

Horned Screamer wrote:Does Cistercian host tournaments? Making good tournaments happen in your circuit is the most powerful thing you can do to spread good quizbowl in a quizbowl deficient area.
At the moment, because we are so small, Cistercian does not host tournaments. St. Mark's hosts one per year, though.
Vimal Konduri
Harvard '17
Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Kouign Amann »

Chandragupta Maurya wrote:
Horned Screamer wrote:Does Cistercian host tournaments? Making good tournaments happen in your circuit is the most powerful thing you can do to spread good quizbowl in a quizbowl deficient area.
At the moment, because we are so small, Cistercian does not host tournaments.
I'd encourage you to try hosting despite this perceived obstacle. Really, just give it your best shot. Small tournaments are better than no tournaments. Our club this year was, at some points, literally just me, Jacob, and our coach. We still hosted two reasonably sized tournaments. Just start trying to make things happen. Get whoever you can on board and go with what you have.
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
tuscumbiaqb
Wakka

Post by tuscumbiaqb »

It appears that the Dallas area is in need of any tournaments it can get, so the size of the school shouldn't be a hindrance to hosting, say, a twelve- or eighteen-team tournament. (If the school literally does not have enough rooms to accomplish this or weird policies that make reserving rooms difficult to impossible, I stand corrected.) Our student body is less than half that of Cistercian's per grade level, and we hosted five tournaments last year. If you have six players who can moderate, you're basically good to go.
Jason Loy
Cutter Morning Star HS '00-'04
Harding '04-'08
Missouri State '08-'10
Coach, Tuscumbia High School
Member of HSAPQ, MOQBA, PACE
Chandragupta Maurya
Lulu

tuscumbiaqb wrote:If the school literally does not have enough rooms to accomplish this or weird policies that make reserving rooms difficult to impossible, I stand corrected.
I think the problem is that we don't have enough rooms to host a tournament
Vimal Konduri
Harvard '17
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

Can you co-host a tournament with a nearby school that has more rooms but less playing experience?
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

Kyle is right. Also, there is nothing wrong with hosting a tournament with a field cap at 8-12 teams if you can get a small number of rooms. I realize that sometimes even that can be difficult--school buildings are often used for a variety of purposes on Saturdays, and a school can only host a tournament if the administration wants them to.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
etchdulac
Rikku

Post by etchdulac »

Chandragupta Maurya wrote:I think the problem is that we don't have enough rooms to host a tournament
TQBA has a tournament scheduled at Parish Episcopal on Sept. 29, and has in the past hosted at ESD and John Paul II, as well as Plano East and Shepton. Cistercian has declined to host across the years in which these five schools have volunteered.

Perhaps Fr. Gregory would like to offer input on why Cistercian does not host tournaments. It certainly would seem that the premier program in the Metroplex should be serving its community in this manner.
Stephen Fontenot
Texas Quiz Bowl Alliance Deputy Director
Communications, UT Dallas
Strake Jesuit '96 -+-+- Southwestern '00
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

For the record, NHBB had a tournament (which I ran and had a great time at) in Plano in Feb 2011. Then we ran up against the Plano school district's draconian policies regarding not letting students participate in tournaments for which they could qualify for a national tournament. Don't ask... In any case, we fully intend to be back in the Dallas area next year, and would love for any interested host school to get in touch with us (email me). The advantage of hosting for NHBB is that you can still play the tournament (and indeed, play for free, and get a discount on our Nationals if you qualify) as we'll send a director. In a related story, I'm strongly considering coming to Texas to volunteer at tournaments in the fall, and work on outreach, so hopefully that will help. Of course, I'm happy to talk to people I meet at schools that don't play qb about getting involved in all-subject tournaments too.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad