Lee Henry's 3rd Annual "Where will I Coach Next" Event!

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
quizbowllee
Auron

Lee Henry's 3rd Annual "Where will I Coach Next" Event!

Post by quizbowllee »

I know this annoys some of you. But, to those who care to follow, I have been laid off AGAIN! So, for the third time, I am desperately seeking a new place of employment and a new team to coach. There is a "greater than 0% chance" that I will be back at Columbia. However, I think that at this point, it is HIGHLY unlikely.

I have had six interviews already this summer. I will keep all posted. My competitive spirit is somewhat reinvigorated. So, wherever I end up, I will be putting a great effort forth to make them the most competitive team I've coached in the years to come.

So begins my 3rd Annual (and HOPEFULLY FINAL) Where Will I Coach Next Summer Event! Let the speculation begin.

-Lee
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Re: Lee Henry's 3rd Annual "Where will I Coach Next" Event!

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Good luck.

Once again, Delaware is a great state! Come here! A much shorter trip to NHBB than this year for you...
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

There are similarly tons of schools in Missouri, lots of which are very small and need teachers, and which are still culturally about the same experience as in Alabama.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Man, I can't get my wife to move to the next TOWN over right now. Personally, I'd load up a U-Haul and start driving right now if I could get out of this place and get a good job. But, we'll see what happens. I have some good prospects already this summer. The last couple of years, things were really, really bleak until right before school started back.

I THINK I know where I'm going to be based on an interview I had yesterday. If it pans out, I'll be in one of the highest-paying school systems in the state (possibly the highest), teaching nothing but AP Courses all day and coaching quiz bowl. I'm praying pretty hard to get it. Plus, it's not TOO far from my home.

I'll let you know when I'm ready for another tongue-in-cheek LeBron James-like announcement.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Post by The Ununtiable Twine »

quizbowllee wrote:Man, I can't get my wife to move to the next TOWN over right now. Personally, I'd load up a U-Haul and start driving right now if I could get out of this place and get a good job. But, we'll see what happens. I have some good prospects already this summer. The last couple of years, things were really, really bleak until right before school started back.

I THINK I know where I'm going to be based on an interview I had yesterday. If it pans out, I'll be in one of the highest-paying school systems in the state (possibly the highest), teaching nothing but AP Courses all day and coaching quiz bowl. I'm praying pretty hard to get it. Plus, it's not TOO far from my home.

I'll let you know when I'm ready for another tongue-in-cheek LeBron James-like announcement.
You're welcome to join Alabama as a defensive coordinator. Of course we don't pay but we'd love to have you.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

More interviews this week. Plus, I'm still waiting and hoping to hear from some of my interviews from last week. I'll keep everyone posted.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

Post by 49-Mile Scenic Drive »

quizbowllee wrote: I THINK I know where I'm going to be based on an interview I had yesterday. If it pans out, I'll be in one of the highest-paying school systems in the state (possibly the highest), teaching nothing but AP Courses all day and coaching quiz bowl. I'm praying pretty hard to get it. Plus, it's not TOO far from my home.

I'm pretty sure I can guess the general area you're referring too, not even going to try guessing which school due to their being too darn many to guess from.
Mark Morris
University of Alabama-Huntsville '13
Auburn Pharmacy '19
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

49-Mile Scenic Drive wrote:
quizbowllee wrote: I THINK I know where I'm going to be based on an interview I had yesterday. If it pans out, I'll be in one of the highest-paying school systems in the state (possibly the highest), teaching nothing but AP Courses all day and coaching quiz bowl. I'm praying pretty hard to get it. Plus, it's not TOO far from my home.

I'm pretty sure I can guess the general area you're referring too, not even going to try guessing which school due to their being too darn many to guess from.
Dude, I was so SURE I'd get this one. April and I even drove out and looked at the school and discussed putting the kids in the local elementary school. But, it's been 8 days and I've heard nothing. You can't imagine how frustrating it is to me. The job is still posted, so maybe they haven't hired anyone yet.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Don't give up hope....it was almost two months between the time Loyola interviewed me then offered me the job. Keep in mind that many schools move slowly this time of year due to proms, graduations, etc.
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

David Riley wrote:Don't give up hope....it was almost two months between the time Loyola interviewed me then offered me the job. Keep in mind that many schools move slowly this time of year due to proms, graduations, etc.
Thanks, David. But, schools in Alabama have been out for a few weeks. There is actually a state law that mandates that we be done by the Friday before Memorial Day.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

quizbowllee wrote:[

Thanks, David. But, schools in Alabama have been out for a few weeks. There is actually a state law that mandates that we be done by the Friday before Memorial Day.
But does that include hiring as well? I know several schools in Illinois who are still hiring in July (not necessarily due to sudden resignations and the like, but because they were unable to find suitable teachers before the end of school).
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

UPDATE: I officially did NOT get the job that I thought I was going to get. I have no idea what happened, as I left the interview so confident that I had the job that I would have bet my house on it. The principal all but told me I had the position. He even started saying "When you teach here..." instead of "If you teach here...." about half-way through the interview.

Oh, well. The search continues.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Working out some details with a principal. Announcement will be coming soon.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

As of 6:30 pm tonight, I am official. Go Warriors!
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I, Lee Henry, will be taking my talents to West Point High School in Cullman, AL. They have a team, but haven't played outside of their local league in a while. I'm meeting with the principal next week to discuss implementing my program. I hope to meet with interested students during the first week of school and be participating in a few events ASAP.

West Point will easily fall under the "small school" classification for NAQT. I hope to once again be vying for a HSNCT Small School Championship within the next few years. If things work out and I am able to stick around, I believe my family and I will be relocating to West Point in a couple of years. As it is now, I will happily endure the 45-minute trek.

I would have loved to have stayed at Columbia, but Huntsville City Schools has not contacted me and I can't wait around for a phone call that may never come. I have contacted the members of the team at Columbia and have told them the news. I wish them nothing but the best.

So, as of tonight, I am officially a West Point Warrior.

See you all soon.

-Lee
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

BRAVO!!!! :party: :party: :party:

And I'm totally with you on #3, having been in that position myself in a past working life.
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -