St. Louis Open (07/14/2012)

Old college threads.
Charbroil
Auron

St. Louis Open (07/14/2012)

Post by Charbroil »

Cross-posted from here due to the trash component; please make any comments on the other thread, which I will be monitoring more closely.

Hello, everyone! I'm pleased to announce that we will be hosting the St. Louis Open at Washington University in St. Louis on the 14th of July 2012. I, Charles Hang, will be serving as the Tournament Director, and can be reached at [email protected].

The tournament will feature both an academic and a trash component, details of which are below.

Questions

The academic tournament will be using the ATTACK set, details of which can be found here: viewtopic. ... 09&t=12450

We're hoping to use the CAHLFS set, details of which can be found here, for the trash tournament:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=12938

Registration

To register, please e-mail me at [email protected]. Please indicate the following information:

1/ The Number of teams you will be bringing.
2/ The Number of buzzers you will be bringing.
3/ The number of players you will have, as well as their names.
4/ The number of staff (moderators and scorekeepers) you will be bringing.

Please register separate teams for both events and let me know if staffers will only be staffing one or the other event.

Please form up and register a team before the event.

Fee Structure

Academic Tournament:

Base Fee: $15 per high school player on your team, $20 per collegiate and beyond player on your team.*

*Recent high school graduates of the Class of 2012 are still considered high school players for these purposes.

There's also a $4 per person charge if you want pizza (please pay this in cash)

Buzzer Discount: -$10 per working buzzer
Moderator Discount: -$10 per moderator
Scorekeeper Discount: -$5 per scorekeeper

Showing up late without getting in touch with me: +$20 penalty.

Minimum Fee: $30.

Trash Tournament:

$10/player

We are, of course, willing to make accommodations if a team has trouble paying and wishes to arrange a payment plan, etc.

Please make checks out to "Washington University Academic Team;" we can also take cash payments but greatly prefer payments by check.

Eligibility

Anyone can play this on any team. We would greatly prefer if you don't form “super-teams” for this tournament, given the nature of the field and the level of the questions.

This tournament will be held at Washington University in St. Louis, in the Danforth University Center (Building 25 here: http://visitor.wustl.edu/danforthmap.pdf).

The building address is:

6453 Forsyth Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63130

Parking is plentiful.

Time

We will begin at 9:30 in a room to be determined. Please show up by 9:00 for this tournament, or get in touch with me if you know you can't make it on time. Once you register, I'll send you a confirmation including my phone number for contact purposes.

We expect to be done before 4:00 PM with the academic tournament, at which point we will have dinner and commence with the trash tournament, hopefully within half an hour. We will end the tournament by 9:00 PM (which is when the building closes).

Tournament Format

Our precise schedule depends on how many teams we will have in attendance and will be finalized a few days beforehand. I plan on targeting 8-10 games (preferably closer to 10) and ending before 4:00 PM to give us adequate time for the trash tournament.

In order to maximize the amount of time available for Quiz Bowl, we will be ordering pizza for consumption between the academic and trash tournaments. As mentioned above, pizza is $4 per person.

For the trash tournament, we will try to get through as many rounds as possible before the building closes at 9:00 PM; an exact schedule will be also determined once we know how many teams will be playing.

Field

The field for both events is being updated here.
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
Charbroil
Auron

Re: St. Louis Open (07/14/2012)

Post by Charbroil »

Stats for this here.
Charles Hang

Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

Congratulations to The Tickle Monsters (Sean Phillips, Jason Loy, Matt Chadbourne, Kent Buxton) for winning the trash tournament after going 9-1. Stats are here.
Charles Hang

CraigM
Lulu

Post by CraigM »

Are there any mirrors of this Trash tournament being run anywhere? If not, is there any chance of the set being posted either here or on Wastebin?
Craig Moysey
McMaster University '11
MorganV
Mafiarator

Post by MorganV »

There were some rumblings of it possibly being mirrored at KABO or one of its mirrors.
Morgan Venkus