Should this be prompted?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
rohitx15
Lulu

Should this be prompted?

Post by rohitx15 »

If the answer to a question is "Deng Xiaoping" and a player answers "Xiaoping," should he/she be prompted?

User was reminded to enable a signature --Mgmt.
Rohit Lalchandani
Bassett High School '14
UC Berkeley '18
Creator of Quinterest
http://www.quinterest.org
[email protected]
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Re: Should this be prompted?

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

No.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Whatever that was, please don't do it again.

(ie, the posts related to this thread that have landed in the Forbidden Zone --Mgmt.)
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
rohitx15
Lulu

Post by rohitx15 »

Horned Screamer wrote:No.
Ok, thanks for your answer, but, if you don't mind, could you please elaborate on why that shouldn't be prompted?
Rohit Lalchandani
Bassett High School '14
UC Berkeley '18
Creator of Quinterest
http://www.quinterest.org
[email protected]
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Deng is his family name. Saying Xiaoping is pretty much the equivalent of saying "Mitt" for Mitt Romney.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Charles Martel
Wakka

Post by Charles Martel »

What about "D. Xiaoping"?
Adam Kalinich
MIT 2012-
Illinois Math and Science Academy 2009-2012
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

That would be like saying "Mitt R."
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

According to ACF Rule G.4., it should not be prompted. I do not think that NAQT has clear guidelines on this. Local rules probably vary.

I believe that it should be prompted, though I wouldn't override the rules of a tournament to do so.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Charles Martel
Wakka

Post by Charles Martel »

Not disputing any of the points that having been made using the example of Mitt Romney, but it's kind of funny that he's being used as an example because Mitt isn't his first name (I've wanted him to come up in a tournament for a while so that I could answer Willard Romney).
Adam Kalinich
MIT 2012-
Illinois Math and Science Academy 2009-2012
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

Charles Martel wrote:Not disputing any of the points that having been made using the example of Mitt Romney, but it's kind of funny that he's being used as an example because Mitt isn't his first name (I've wanted him to come up in a tournament for a while so that I could answer Willard Romney).
Deng Xiaoping's name at birth was Deng Xiansheng.
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Leucippe and Clitophon wrote:I do not think that NAQT has clear guidelines on this.
In practice, we do not normally prompt on these (the next update to our correctness guidelines will make this policy clear).
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

Some people (including myself) have argued that it should be promptable, especially at the high school level. But we are very much in the minority, and the standard rule is that you should not prompt.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Muriel Axon
Tidus

Post by Muriel Axon »

Skepticism and Animal Feed wrote:Some people (including myself) have argued that it should be promptable, especially at the high school level. But we are very much in the minority, and the standard rule is that you should not prompt.
I would be sympathetic to the idea of prompting in these cases in a novice high school tournament, especially since you get a lot of players who may have actual knowledge about Chinese politics or history, but just don't know how the naming structure works, and haven't been in quiz bowl long enough to get chastised for that, or to learn the particulars of the rules.
Last edited by Muriel Axon on Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shan Kothari

Plymouth High School '10
Michigan State University '14
University of Minnesota '20
merv1618
Tidus

Post by merv1618 »

I feel like the main issue is separating real knowledge from guesswork answers. In the case of real knowledge, something I've seen happen is when a history bonus part on Frances Perkins came up, the team captain said something like, "Oh that's that woman...Frances something or other," and got prompted for a few seconds to see if he could remember the last name because it was clear he knew who was being asked about. In contrast, something that could happen is on a question about, say, Strauss the younger, a guess of "Johann" might not be promptable because of other composers like his father, Pachelbel, or the horde of Bachs whose first name was Johann. In this case, it could be the player hopefully buying time without knowing which composer the question was asking about (perhaps not even a Johann), thus not warranting a prompt of any kind.
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10
Northwestern B '14
Loyola (inactive) '21

" 'Yay, more Adam Sperber' --Nobody " --Cody Voight
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

The Eighth Viscount of Waaaah wrote:
Skepticism and Animal Feed wrote:Some people (including myself) have argued that it should be promptable, especially at the high school level. But we are very much in the minority, and the standard rule is that you should not prompt.
I would be sympathetic to the idea of prompting in these cases in a novice high school tournament, especially since you get a lot of players who may have actual knowledge about Chinese politics or history, but just don't know how the naming structure works, and haven't been in quiz bowl long enough to get chastised for that or to learn the particulars of the rules.
We want regular high school tournaments to be welcoming to novice teams. There are a lot of regular high school tournaments that have a large proportion of their teams who play at or near a novice level. I could see why HSNCT, NSC, or NASAT could have that type of expectation, but the fact is that at Tournament #419 at wherever there are a decent number of teams, possibly in some cases the majority, who don't know about Asian or Hispanic naming conventions.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)