KABO: Kurtis and Ashvin's Backyard Open (8/4)

Old college threads.
Cheynem
Sin

Re: KABO: Kurtis and Ashvin's Backyard Open (8/4)

Post by Cheynem »

(This is assuming we have two days to work with)

With a few side events to plan around, it might be nice to get a tentative schedule going. What would make sense to me is the following:

SATURDAY
KABO--main event
ANFORTAS--myth side event
Tech Tournament--either played as shootout or in teams, depending on time/interest

SUNDAY
Bayou a Drank--trash tournament
Film Tournament--side event

My only question would be if there are people who are really banking on playing the film tournament who are unable to make Sunday.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Windows ME
Wakka

Post by Windows ME »

I like the above schedule.

It kinda gives each day its own distinctive "feel"
Sinan U.
U of Toronto 2010
U of Alberta 2015
Sam
Rikku

Post by Sam »

It would be personally more convenient for movies and KABO to be the same day, but the division as it is now makes sense.
Sam Bailey
Minnesota '21
Chicago '13
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

If there is enough time on Saturday, I'm cool with running the film tournament then as well, although it seems like there might be a time crunch. I guess we could play it by ear.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Habitat_Against_Humanity
Rikku

Post by Habitat_Against_Humanity »

Out of pure selfishness, I now want to see movies and trash on the same day since I actually won't be able to stick around that long after KABO on Saturday.
Rachel
UChicago 09
Muriel Axon
Tidus

Post by Muriel Axon »

Out of similar selfishness, I would prefer to see tech on Sunday. If not, I suppose I may have to suck it up and drive out there after my flight on Saturday...
Shan Kothari

Plymouth High School '10
Michigan State University '14
University of Minnesota '20
i never see pigeons in wheeling
Rikku

Post by i never see pigeons in wheeling »

What about putting YMIR after ANFORTAS to make a super helping of myth on Saturday (for those who want that)? I can see it going really late, though.
Ankit
Cal '16
Bellarmine College Preparatory '12
Kilroy Was Here
Rikku

Post by Kilroy Was Here »

Where does one sign up for the Technology tournament, or is there no official sign up location?
Collin Parks
University of Michigan '18

"Aragorn was the famed king of Gondor, while the Iberian kingdom was Aragon. Both parties were aware of this coincidence: we have a journal entry from Aragorn that expresses his anger at receiving mail meant for King Peter IV of Aragon for the umpteenth time."~ CommodoreCoCo
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

If you're already going to be at KABO, we'll probably do a sign up for the side events there. We're still waiting for confirmation of rooms and stuff anyway.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

kdroge
Wakka

Post by kdroge »

So it looks like right now there are nine teams signed up for KABO. It would be nice if we could either get 8 (RR plus some sort of playoff or final on the last three packets) or 10 (RR plus a one game final between the top two teams), preferably 10 so that all the rounds can get used and seen by as many teams as possible. If you've been on the fence about signing up, now would be a great time to do so. Also, in the interest of finalizing the staffing situation, if you'd like to staff (or are currently signed up to staff but can't make it) please update the spreadsheet accordingly. Thanks.
Kurtis Droge
East Lansing 08, Michigan 12, Louisville 17
Kilroy Was Here
Rikku

kdroge wrote:So it looks like right now there are nine teams signed up for KABO. It would be nice if we could either get 8 (RR plus some sort of playoff or final on the last three packets) or 10 (RR plus a one game final between the top two teams), preferably 10 so that all the rounds can get used and seen by as many teams as possible. If you've been on the fence about signing up, now would be a great time to do so. Also, in the interest of finalizing the staffing situation, if you'd like to staff (or are currently signed up to staff but can't make it) please update the spreadsheet accordingly. Thanks.
I can to my other teammates at DCC on Wednesday. I should be able to get enough people to field a team.
Collin Parks

"Aragorn was the famed king of Gondor, while the Iberian kingdom was Aragon. Both parties were aware of this coincidence: we have a journal entry from Aragorn that expresses his anger at receiving mail meant for King Peter IV of Aragon for the umpteenth time."~ CommodoreCoCo
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Oh, and with less than a week until this tournament, can we please get some confirmation about rooms, times, location, Sunday availability?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

kdroge
Wakka

Post by kdroge »

Cheynem wrote:Oh, and with less than a week until this tournament, can we please get some confirmation about rooms, times, location, Sunday availability?
I just heard today that we have 10 rooms reserved for saturday and sunday, from the hours of 10-8. The tournament will probably start at 10 (with 10 rounds this shouldn't run too late or anything). I doubt we'd get kicked out after 8, though there'd be no guarantees if we want to play later.
Kurtis Droge
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

With the announcement that rooms are available both days, I submit that my proposed schedule seems popular enough to be made "official" unless other people strongly object (obviously if too little or too much time on Saturday manifests itself, things can change).
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

itsthatoneguy
Rikku

Post by itsthatoneguy »

If anyone who is not playing this tournament can help staff, that would be great, as we only have six staffers at the moment.
Bryan Berend
Detroit Catholic Central '09
Michigan '13
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I e-mailed Alex Gerten about it, but if any remaining free agent needs a team, we may have an open spot since Bryan may have to work that day.

Also, is the free agent count accurate?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man
Lulu

Post by The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man »

To whom it may concern: I'd like to play all of the side tournaments besides myth, which I can staff at.
Alex Gerten
Wisconsin '12
Columbia '16
Kilroy Was Here
Rikku

I can staff the film tournamen if it helps.
Collin Parks

Ras superfamily
Wakka

Post by Ras superfamily »

My team needs a new science player if anyone is interested
Saajid Moyen
Penn '15
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

I know this is short notice, but what options are there for hotels around the tournament area? I will need accommodations for Saturday night and am driving down so that distance is not a large concern.

Alternately, if anyone has space (even floor space) in a hotel room that they don't mind sharing, I wouldn't mind paying a share of your hotel bill to take it. Thanks.
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
mhayes
Rikku

Post by mhayes »

adosreme wrote:Alternately, if anyone has space (even floor space) in a hotel room that they don't mind sharing, I wouldn't mind paying a share of your hotel bill to take it. Thanks.
Me and two of my teammates will be staying at a hotel on Saturday night (though I'm not sure which one yet), so you're more than welcome to stay with us.
Matt Hayes

Unaffiliated
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

mhayes wrote:Me and two of my teammates will be staying at a hotel on Saturday night (though I'm not sure which one yet), so you're more than welcome to stay with us.
That sounds great.

P.S. To my team and others: I am having a little trouble finding my passport at the moment, though I am 99% sure I know exactly where I put it. If this remains a problem by the end of tonight, I'll PM everyone affected. Otherwise, I'll update post in this thread.

Edit: I've found my passport. Everything is good to go.
Last edited by adosreme on Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
kdroge
Wakka

Post by kdroge »

A few details about the tournament:

This is happening on the second floor of Mason Hall. I'm designating room 2437 as the control room for now, though if that room is really small or something we might be in an adjacent room. Parking is available in the Maynard Parking Structure, among many other locations. Registration will start at 9 with games hopefully starting at around 9:30 (if we can't get into the rooms until 10, then we'll wait a half hour, but I'd like to try and get started a little earlier than 10 if possible). With 10 rounds, we should be done by 4 at the latest. There are plenty of nearby options for lunch and I'm sure there are enough people familiar with the area to point you in the right direction.

Currently, there are still nine teams signed up, so I'll reiterate the call for another team to sign up (maybe we can do a scab team on site if there's an excess of staff, but that doesn't look like it's going to be the case at the moment). If we have 8 teams, the format will be round robin, rebracket into brackets of 4 for two more games, and then a one game final between the number 1 and 2 teams. If we have 10 teams, the format will be round robin and then a one game final between the number 1 and 2 teams. I think that this allows everyone to play the most number of games against a pretty well matched field, if at the cost of not having the most thorough finals procedure. If there are 9 teams, I will use the schedule for 10 teams where team 10 is a bye.

This tournament is on track to be completed on time for Saturday.

Edit: Michigan has three buzzer systems, so we need up to two more. There's a discount of five bucks, so if you can bring one or two, please do so. Thanks!
Kurtis Droge
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

If we need a 10th, perhaps we can do something like a breakaway team of a couple people from other teams (like add a team of 2 or so, leaving a couple teams of 3).

EDIT: What happened to that other DCC team that was rumored to exist?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Windows ME
Wakka

Post by Windows ME »

What's the fee schedule going to be?

(and pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee sign up team #10!)
Sinan U.
U of Toronto 2010
U of Alberta 2015
kdroge
Wakka

Post by kdroge »

fourplustwo wrote:What's the fee schedule going to be?

(and pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee sign up team #10!)
The fee schedule is eighty dollars per team (which I drew from 2/3 of VCU's cost last year, since this is a little more than 2/3 of the rounds that was). Basically, this means twenty dollars per person for a four person team. I'm willing to do a flat rate of 20 per person on teams that have 2 or 3 players as well. We can always try to form a tenth team day of, but if someone could sign up, even as free agent who'd be willing to show up to the site, that would be nice. Also, buzzers, people, buzzers!
Kurtis Droge
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

If the staff spreadsheet is correct, there are six staffers--with ten teams, really only five staffers are needed unless you really want a dedicated statsperson/TD, which for a tournament of this small size, seems unnecessary. You could take a random staffer, like that Chris Chiego buffoon, and pair him with a free agent or with some other player, and create a slapdash tenth team, it seems like.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Kilroy Was Here
Rikku

Cheynem wrote:If we need a 10th, perhaps we can do something like a breakaway team of a couple people from other teams (like add a team of 2 or so, leaving a couple teams of 3).

EDIT: What happened to that other DCC team that was rumored to exist?
I couldn't get people interested, so the DCC team is just me and Brandon, which means we have room for other people.
Collin Parks

kdroge
Wakka

Post by kdroge »

Kurtis Droge
kdroge
Wakka

Post by kdroge »

Full Stats: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... tats_kabo/

I'll probably set up a discussion forum for this later tonight.
Kurtis Droge
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Hopefully the discussion form comes soon (with just one mirror, I wonder if even a DISCUSSION THREAD--DO NOT READ IF PLAYING AT WATERLOO type thread would suffice).

This set would probably have benefited from a little more time to construct. There were a lot of fine ideas (I appreciated what the social science and history were attempting to do even if it didn't really play to my strengths, and I'll just grumble that the recent American history was not good at all), although the execution wasn't always optimal (the lack of really solid middle clues tripped up a number of these questions). I have nothing to judge, but my science teammates didn't seem to enjoy a lot of the science. One major complaint was that the bonuses were just not consistent at all in terms of difficulty. I'll try to be more specific in the actual discussion thread.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

kdroge
Wakka

Post by kdroge »

Cheynem wrote:Hopefully the discussion form comes soon (with just one mirror, I wonder if even a DISCUSSION THREAD--DO NOT READ IF PLAYING AT WATERLOO type thread would suffice).
My issue is that there are prospective West Coast, Florida, and Texas mirrors in addition to the Canadian one, so ideally the discussion forum would be private. I pmed Matt Weiner about setting up a private forum, so hopefully that happens soon. If he's the wrong person to talk to, someone let me know who I should pm instead.

I guess I can say that, generally speaking, bonus variance was a huge problem, with the biggest issues being several bonuses that had no middle parts, and several bonuses that had no (or easily confusable) easy parts. I also think that the middle part issue was more common than the easy part issue. Some tossups could have used work on middle clues, though I'm interested to see which ones specifically people thought were problematic. I'd like to wait at least another day for the private forum before I make an open forum with a "do not read this" clause on it, so I'll wait until then to respond to specifics, but I actually liked the modern American history answer lines quite a bit (though your point could be they were executed poorly).
Kurtis Droge
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

The forum should be working now; join it through your control panel and Kurtis can approve you.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Sorry to resurrect this announcement, but could the KABO discussion just be made visible publicly now that all its mirrors are done? (I applied for membership in the private forum anyway, but figure there's no reason it can't be open now).
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah