Collegiate Novice 3 at Auburn University 9/29

Old college threads.
jmannor2
Wakka

Collegiate Novice 3 at Auburn University 9/29

Post by jmannor2 »

Hello,

Auburn University will be hosting a mirror of Collegiate Novice 3 on Saturday, September 29th.

What is the mission of this tournament?

This tournament is intended as an early introduction for collegiate novices to college quizbowl. It aims to be extremely accessible while remaining within a normal academic distribution. The target audience is college players who are very new to quizbowl. Every year, many of these new players come to first practices all around the country, but few stick with the game. This tournament is an early-season introduction to competitive quizbowl in which novices can play against teams of their own strength on questions that reward the level of knowledge that they have. Our hope is that this will be the immediate positive competitive experience that new players need to get hooked on the game.

Who can play?

1. All ACF eligibility rules apply, except when they contradict the rules below.

2. This is a tournament for introducing collegiate novices to quizbowl. Consequently, no high school teams or players are eligible.

3. Anyone (who does not break Rules 1 or 2) who has never played quizbowl before is automatically eligible. Other academic competition does not count as quizbowl for this rule.

4. Players meeting one or more of the following criteria must apply to the head editor for special permission to play:

i. If you have already completed your second year of college (calculated from time in college, not credits). Time in a post-secondary high school program does not count.

ii. If you were ever on a playoff or top-bracket team at NAQT HSNCT or PACE NSC.

iii. If you have ever scored at least 30 points per game at any college tournament.

iv. If you have ever won any college tournament.

5. Anyone who does not fall into any of the four categories listed in Rule 4 is automatically eligible to play.

Here are the ACF rules: http://acfquizbowl.files.wordpress.com/ ... evised.pdf

Registration Fees:

Base Fee: $15 per person playing this tournament

We will also be giving the following team discounts:

-$5 per buzzer
-$5 per competent staffer (must work the entire tournament)
-$5 per 100 miles traveled

Either post on here or send me an email at [email protected] to register
Joey Mannor
DAR High School '11
Auburn '15
jmannor2
Wakka

Re: Collegiate Novice 3 at Auburn University 9/29

Post by jmannor2 »

Interested teams:

Auburn University house team(s)

Auburn University-Montgomery

Alabama State University
Last edited by jmannor2 on Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joey Mannor
DAR High School '11
Auburn '15
jmannor2
Wakka

Post by jmannor2 »

So, this tournament is going to happen regardless of how many outside schools attend. We should be able to put together at least 2-3 Auburn house teams and can adjust to the number of teams that attend. We also need buzzers. We really, really need buzzers. Please bring some if you have them.

It is happening in the Haley Center. HQ will be room Haley Center room 2116. The Haley Center is incredibly confusing and our rooms are fairly scattered. 2116 is the Second Floor of the First Quadrant and this is where everyone needs to convene.

The best place to park would be next to Ralph Brown Draughon Library in the parking deck or lot. From College Street, turn onto Roosevelt Drive. The parking lot will be on the left, and the parking deck is on the right. Parking in all A and B marked areas is permitted on the weekend.

Here is a campus map: https://cws.auburn.edu/map

The rooms will be available at 9:30. We will be starting no later than 10:00 and will hopefully be finished by 5:00 pm.
Joey Mannor
DAR High School '11
Auburn '15
jmannor2
Wakka

Post by jmannor2 »

This happened. The only school that came was Auburn-Montgomery, so Auburn broke up into 3 teams so we could run a triple round robin. Auburn B came out on top with an 8-1 record.

I was incredibly impressed with everybody that played. Of the top two scorers of this event, one has never played quiz bowl before, except for these last two weeks that we had practice, and the other had only played the History Bowl high school tournaments from earlier this year. Two of AUM's players had never played quiz bowl before, practice or otherwise. And with the exception of one person in the rest of the field, nobody else had ever played pyramidal quiz bowl before. Even though we had an incredibly tiny field, I feel like this was a great success.

One thing that is upsetting (to me) is that the University of Alabama did not come to our tournament, and instead opted to go double the distance to ULL. I'm sure there has to be some important reason why they didn't come to our event, but it is still pretty upsetting considering we are the only two universities in Alabama with quiz bowl programs, and I feel like we should help each other out. Other than this, everything else about the tournament was fantastic!

Here are the stats: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... standings/
Joey Mannor
DAR High School '11
Auburn '15
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Jake Sundberg was directing the ULL site...
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White