Ontario 2012-13

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
bsmith
Tidus

Ontario 2012-13

Post by bsmith »

Welcome to the 2012-13 Ontario quizbowl season!

Unfortunately, the biggest news in the province is labour disruption by public school teachers that began this week. It is still too early to see how it will manifest as the weeks progress, but it is possible that several schools will have extracurricular sports and clubs cancelled for the year. The ONQBA won't hold a position for or against the teachers or government, though we certainly hope for a speedy and peaceful resolution.

Nevertheless, tournaments will continue as scheduled. Catholic and private schools are in the clear to participate, and some public school boards may permit teams that have a vetted supervisor (parent or other member of the community). If we learn of new developments related to this, we will let hosts know. So far in the fall, I have scheduled dates of:

October 13: Lisgar *
November 17: Ottawa
November (date TBA): Queen's
December 8: Lisgar *
Waterloo and Ridley may host again (in the fall?), but I don't have any dates

* note: at this time, Lisgar cannot host on school property. The locations will likely change to Ottawa or Carleton.

Finally, we are still accepting bids to host the 2013 ONQBA championships. Hosting is open to any high school or university club, and we expect it to occur in March or April, depending on the host's availability. The host is responsible for rooms, some staff, and a few other logistical details, while the ONQBA is responsible for coordinating the event (publicity, questions, finances, etc). Information the ONQBA needs for selecting a bid was sent to several clubs earlier, but can also be found on the website ( http://onqba.ca/provincials.html ). Bids are due September 30, 2012, to me at president -AT- onqba.ca . If (though unlikely) the event is cancelled because of labour disruption, the ONQBA will reimburse any expenses the host may have incurred.

I wish the best of luck to teams and hosts this year!
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
bsmith
Tidus

Re: Ontario 2012-13

Post by bsmith »

Because of conflicts of interest amongst the executive and the bidders to host ONQBA provincials, we need another person on the "selection committee". If you have a connection with the Ontario quizbowl community, are not part of a high school that may be competing, and have no affiliation with any bids, you are welcome to help the selection process. Being on this committee won't obligate you to be involved in the tournament itself. Selection will occur between October 1 and 6.

Contact me (either through president -AT- onqba.ca or ben_smith_85 -AT- yahoo.ca ) if you can fill this spot.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
Masked Canadian History Bandit
Rikku

Post by Masked Canadian History Bandit »

The spot above has been filled by Josh Alman currently of MIT, formerly of UTS. The other two members on the selection committee are myself and Brian McNamara from Western. Get those bids in!
Patrick Liao
Lisgar Collegiate Institute 2011, University of Pennsylvania 2015, University of Toronto Faculty of Law 2019
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

Lisgar's tournament will be at the University of Ottawa on October 13. The field will be capped at eleven teams due to space limitation.
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

Queen's University will host the 2013 provincial championship on March 24. I'll have more details after the holiday weekend.

FYI, the other bids were from Ottawa and Waterloo.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Congratulations Colonel By B for winning Lisgar's SCOP Novice mirror.

stats: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/1105/

After a 8 team round robin, there were three teams tied in first place at 6-1. The teams were sorted by bonus conversion, and 2nd place Colonel By B defeated 3rd place Lisgar A to face Colonel By A in a one-game final. Ultimately, Colonel By B prevailed 440-195.

A further congratulations to the highest scorer, second-year Ted Gan of Colonel By A who with a 85ppg, more than doubled the second highest scorer, Cameron from Colonel By B.

Thanks to Charles Li et. al. for making Lisgar's first event of 2012-13 a success.
Joe Su, OCT
TheDoctor
Rikku

Post by TheDoctor »

Please send any specific comments about the questions to [email protected]. We would like to improve the set for future use, and learn what we can do better next year.
Kristin Strey
SCOP
Head Coach, Winnebago High School (2014-)
Head Coach, Thurgood Marshall School (Rockford) (2022-)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-2012)
Northern Illinois University Quiz Bowl Association founder
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

The premier of Ontario has resigned and suspended the legislature, promising to produce "negotiated agreements" with the public sector unions. I'm sure the teachers union will have a response in the next few days, hopefully announcing an easing of their disruption.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

Contracts are complete or in the final stages in some Ontario boards now, including most of SW Ontario and Ottawa. Toronto is still holding out, though. Regular duties should resume once the contracts are ratified and approved by the government, though some clubs might be sluggish to get started after having skipped three months.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Lisgar managed to squeeze out a 10 team field for a mirror of GSAC XX which ran successfully. We are looking for a mirror of LIST III for May 4th if there's enough interest.
Joe Su, OCT
Windows ME
Wakka

Post by Windows ME »

Are any Ontario teams attending HSNCT this year?

For the first ever time, a Canadian team outside of Ontario will be attending this event (Harry Ainlay - the winners of the 2nd Alberta Quizbowl Tournament). I hope they will not be the only ones!
Sinan U.
U of Toronto 2010
U of Alberta 2015
Masked Canadian History Bandit
Rikku

Post by Masked Canadian History Bandit »

fourplustwo wrote:Are any Ontario teams attending HSNCT this year?

For the first ever time, a Canadian team outside of Ontario will be attending this event (Harry Ainlay - the winners of the 2nd Alberta Quizbowl Tournament). I hope they will not be the only ones!
I think Lisgar's choosing PACE over HSNCT because it's easier to drive to.
Patrick Liao
Lisgar Collegiate Institute 2011, University of Pennsylvania 2015, University of Toronto Faculty of Law 2019
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Lisgar has officially registered for PACE as one of the team members has family in the DC area where the team can stay, plus it's within driving distance. Colonel By, who qualified as the 2nd spot at Lisgar's GSAC mirror are unable because of their exams. I expect some consideration for HSNCT if a non-Ottawa team wins provincials seeing HSNCT is basically full, but the winner has been reserved a spot.

But good for Alberta. Maybe one day there will be a Canadian national tournament.
Joe Su, OCT