SCOP mirror @ Hunter College High School, NYC (10/13/12)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
marianna
Rikku

SCOP mirror @ Hunter College High School, NYC (10/13/12)

Post by marianna »

Hunter College High School is pleased to announce its mirror of SCOP Novice on Saturday, October 13, 2012. Our school is located at 71 East 94th St in Manhattan, between Park and Madison Avenues. Zihan Zheng and Marianna Zhang will serve as co-directors and can be contacted at hchsqb at gmail dot com.

UPDATE (10/9): The field is now closed. An email will go out tonight to all the teams with tourney details.

Eligibility
Any player in their first or second year of playing pyramidal high school quizbowl who haven't attended PACE NSC or NAQT HSNCT is eligible. For the purposes of this tournament, single-subject tournaments such as NHBB won't count. If you have any questions concerning eligibility, please contact us.

Registration
Email us at hchsqb at gmail dot com with "SCOP mirror registration" in the subject line to register. Please include the name of your school, a phone number we can contact on the day of the tournament, and the number of teams, buzzers, and experienced moderators. Registration will be closed on Columbus Day, Monday 10/8.

The field will be capped at 24 teams for now 32 teams and teams at 6 players. If you're interested in playing but can't form a team within your own school, please contact us and we'll help you form a hybrid.

Tournament Format
The tournament will be following standard ACF rules with untimed rounds of 20 tossups and 20 three-part, 30-point bonuses. There will be neg-fives and 15 point powers, but no rebounding bonuses.

We'll announce the tournament structure as the field settles, but it will be some sort of bracketed round-robin prelims and rebracketed round-robin playoffs. Teams can expect to play around 9-10 rounds. Packets permitting, we'll play off any ties.

Registration and breakfast will be 8:00-8:45 am. We're aiming to get the first round started at 9 and the tourney to wrap up by 5:30.

Question Set
The set is aimed at novice difficulty. Computational math is not part of the set distribution, which can be found here. The 2011 and 2010 iterations of SCOP Novice can be found here and here.

The set is not clear until February of 2013, after which it will be posted on quizbowlpackets.com for free. Please don't discuss the set until then.

Fee Structure
$55 for the first team from a school
$45 for each subsequent team
-$5 for each working buzzer system
-$10 for each experienced moderator

We would prefer payment in the form of a check made out to HCHS Quiz Bowl on the day of the tournament, but you can also mail them in advance to our school address c/o Mr. Stephen Young. Discounts for travel can be negotiated on a case-by-case basis with the tournament directors.

Transportation and Food
Our school is easily accessible by the 6 train stop at 96th and Lexington as well as the m1-4 buses along Madison and m96 crosstown bus along 96th. There is a drop-off area for buses in front of our school along Park, while cars can park at Majestic Car Park on 94th between Park and Lex.

Free breakfast will be provided (bagels, coffee, OJ, and assorted yummies). For lunch we'll provide a map of nearby options, mostly on Madison.

Field
Registered (30 teams, 15 buzzers, 7 mods)
Bergen (2, 1, 1)
Bronx Science (4, 0, 0)
Irvington (1, 0, 0)
Mountain Lakes (2, 0, 2)
North Babylon (2, 3, 0)
Pelham Prep (2, 0, 0)
Red Bulls (1, 0, 0)
Ridgewood (2, 8, 1)
St. Joe's (2, 0, 1)
Tribeca (5, 2, 2)
Trinity (2, 0, 0)
Woodland [CT] (2, 1, 0)
Woodlands [NY] (2, 0, 0)
+Hunter house team
Last edited by marianna on Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:41 am, edited 35 times in total.
Marianna Zhang (she/her)
Hunter '14 | Chicago '18 | Stanford '24
PACE
ProfessorIanDuncan
Wakka

Re: SCOP mirror @ Hunter College High School, NYC (10/13/12)

Post by ProfessorIanDuncan »

expressing interest for Irvington. I take it I don't count as an experienced moderator but all the same i am expressing interest in that too.

EDIT: I forget words sometimes.
Last edited by ProfessorIanDuncan on Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alec Vulfson
Irvington High School '13
Redgrass1
Lulu

Post by Redgrass1 »

Put Ridgewood down for 2 teams for now, thank you.
Esther Sun
Ridgewood Highschool, NJ
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Edit - see below. Ridgewood might get a third (or fourth) team together for this depending on how many incoming 9th graders we get for the team. Also, what's your policy on middle school teams? We can probably rustle up a team or two from the two middle schools in Ridgewood. Would they then be able to play with high school teams? Finally, what if someone played high school qb while in middle school - I presume that would count towards the year quota for eligibility, right? Not sure that will apply to anyone, but figure I'd throw it out there.
Last edited by Great Bustard on Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Actually, (edit 9/9) I'll be at this after all. Also, the buzzers are still on the table, Ridgewood will definitely be at this, and I'll talk this up among students in Ridgewood and NHBB teams in the area that haven't traditionally been as active in the regular circuit.
Last edited by Great Bustard on Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
marianna
Rikku

Post by marianna »

nationalhistorybeeandbowl wrote:Also, what's your policy on middle school teams? We can probably rustle up a team or two from the two middle schools in Ridgewood. Would they then be able to play with high school teams? Finally, what if someone played high school qb while in middle school - I presume that would count towards the year quota for eligibility, right? Not sure that will apply to anyone, but figure I'd throw it out there.
Middle school teams would be playing with high school teams, and yes, high school quiz bowl experience from whenever will count towards eligibility.
Marianna Zhang (she/her)
PACE
cindy_du
Lulu

Post by cindy_du »

Hi,
I'm from Scarsdale High School in Westchester.
We are interested in SCOP, for one team and we can bring buzzers.
We can't quite confirm yet, but we'd like to say we're interested.
Thanks,
Cindy Du
Cindy Du
'14
Scarsdale High School Quizbowl Team
Scarsdale, NY
cindy_du
Lulu

Post by cindy_du »

Also, sorry, a question about eligibility.
Does it count if a person has been on the team for three years, but for the first two years the whole team did only Chip and no Pyramidal?
or is that not in the spirit of a novice tournament?
Cindy Du
'14
Scarsdale High School Quizbowl Team
Scarsdale, NY
marianna
Rikku

Post by marianna »

cindy_du wrote:Also, sorry, a question about eligibility.
Does it count if a person has been on the team for three years, but for the first two years the whole team did only Chip and no Pyramidal?
or is that not in the spirit of a novice tournament?
That would be fine, since that person would have only one year of experience of playing pyramidal HS tourneys.
Marianna Zhang (she/her)
PACE
Northern Central Railway
Wakka

Post by Northern Central Railway »

Mountain Lakes is interested.
Andrew Ibendahl
Nashville (IL) '04
DePauw '08
Former Coach, Mountain Lakes (NJ)
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Saint Joe"s is interested.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
mzhang13
Lulu

Post by mzhang13 »

Any idea of the times of the tournament?
marianna
Rikku

Post by marianna »

Whoops sorry about that. I'll put that into the main post.

Registration and breakfast will be 8:00-8:45. We're hoping to start the first round somewhere 9:00-9:15 and wrap everything up by 5:30.
Marianna Zhang (she/her)
PACE
ProfessorIanDuncan
Wakka

I'm afraid that one of our league tournaments conflicts with this date so I can't moderate but there may be a very slim chance that we still bring 1 team.
Alec Vulfson
huatzer shiangtsay
Lulu

Post by huatzer shiangtsay »

Either Stuyvesant or TriBeCa will be bringing 2+ teams, 1+ moderators, and 2 buzzer sets.
Bernard Stanford 薄南德
[Stuyvesant '13]
Team TriBeCa Captain

“O不OK?” (Is it alright?) is one of the most awesome sentences ever. It takes the Chinese word OK and puts it in the A-not-A question format, unabashedly treating the letter O as a verb, and the letter K as a resultative complement.
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Saint Joe's will be there with 2 teams and 1 moderator.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
danieltratt
Kimahri

Post by danieltratt »

Pelham Prep Academy is interested.

Daniel Tratt
PPA Trivia Advisor
ProfessorIanDuncan
Wakka

Irvington will definitely be bringing one team, but no moderators or buzzer systems.
Alec Vulfson
marianna
Rikku

Post by marianna »

Playoffs are starting now. Ridgewood A, Red Bulls, St Joe's A, RIdgewood B, Mountain Lakes A, and Tribeca C are in the top bracket.
Marianna Zhang (she/her)
PACE
marianna
Rikku

Post by marianna »

Congrats to Ridgewood, whose A and B teams finished in first and second! Congrats are also in order for St. Joseph's, whose A team finished third. Fourth, fifth and sixth places were Tribeca C, Red Bulls, and Mountain Lakes A.

Thanks to all the staffers who made this possible! This certainly wouldn't have gone as well as it did without their help. Thanks to all the teams and coaches for coming and also for staying patient while we dealt with some minor delays. I hope everyone have fun and enjoyed the tournament!

Prelim stats are up. We'll try to get playoff stats up tonight or tomorrow. If there are any errors in the stats, let me know. For comments on the set, contact Kristen Strey at Strey.K.A [at] gmail [dot] com. Remember that the set isn't clear until February 2013, after which it'll be posted online for free.

Stay tuned for Prison Bowl on April 6th!
Marianna Zhang (she/her)
PACE
marianna
Rikku

Post by marianna »

Playoff and combined stats are up. Special thanks for these stats go out to Jon Pinyan for helping me out with SQBS and playoff bracketing!

House B and House C only show up as playing 5 total games because they slipped into the 5th playoff bracket, Cheese, and nudged some teams up in replacing Trinity A and Trinity B. Woodland and Woodlands is not a typo; Woodland is from CT, Woodlands is from NY. The order of the teams on the playoff stats is the final results and standings.

Top individual prize went to Szetong De Cleir from Irvington, with an astronomical 121.00 PPG. Abhiram Gogate from Bergen, Greg Burton from St. Joe's A, Harry O'Neil from Tribeca C, and Will Cusick from Red Bulls rounded out the top 5 individuals from prelims.

Also, we found a blue "NYK" (New York Knicks?) hoodie in the faculty lounge (breakfast room). If you recognize what I'm trying to describe here, email me and we can figure something out.
Marianna Zhang (she/her)
PACE
mzhang13
Lulu

Post by mzhang13 »

Thank you for hosting! This was an awesome first experience for us!
marianna
Rikku

Post by marianna »

I'm glad everyone had a great time.

I just want to remind everyone that the set is not clear until February 2013. Please don't discuss it until then. This includes discussion on Facebook, Twitter, and this forum. Upcoming tournaments still need to use the set!
Marianna Zhang (she/her)
PACE