Horatio Nelson Memorial Tournament at MSU, October 20

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Horatio Nelson Memorial Tournament at MSU, October 20

Post by Steeve Ho You Fat »

I am happy to announce "Crossing the T"-ournament: The Horatio Nelson Memorial Tournament, to held on October 20, 2012, at Michigan State University, in East Lansing, MI.

This tournament will be using questions written by our team, in collaboration with several members of the University of Delaware's team. Full information about the set can be found here. The questions are being written in such a way as to be accessible to all levels of players: challenging top teams while providing meaningful, fun games even to inexperienced teams. Questions will be posted online later in the year, when no more tournaments plan on using them. Rounds will consist of 20 tossups and 20 bonuses, with an extra tossup available for a tiebreaker. We anticipate being affiliated with PACE, allowing top finishers to qualify for the NSC.

The fee for the tournament will be as follows:
$70 - first team
$60 - second team from a school and on
-$10 - WORKING buzzer system (if your buzzer system doesn't fully function, please don't bring it)
-$10 - Travel over 100 miles one way, as determined by Google maps
-$10 - Competent staffer (if necessary)
-$10 - new school to quizbowl (haven't attended pyramidal tournaments in the last two years)
We prefer payment by cash or check made out to "MSU Academic Competition Club" on the day of the tournament; if your school requires you to mail one ahead of the tournament, please contact us and we can give you our mailing address. If you will not be able to pay until after the tournament, please let us know ahead of time.

We will run seeded round robin games, and rebracket to give teams more games against teams of similar strength. A full format will obviously depend on the number of teams that register. We are following our typical procedures of initially capping the field at 24 teams and raising the cap if staffing permits. We ask that individual schools only register two teams at first, however, if you are interested in bringing more than two, let us know and we will move your extra teams into the field if space is available. We welcome all teams, including those from talented middle schools and schools from out of state.

We will most likely hold the tournament in Wells Hall, the location of NAQT States and most of our other tournaments last year. We ask teams to arrive by 8:30; check in will begin at 8:15 and we'd like to start games promptly at 9:00 AM.

If you would like to register or have any questions, please post here, contact me, or E-mail our club account at [email protected].
Last edited by Steeve Ho You Fat on Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Michigan State University '14
Walnut Hills High School '11
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Re: Horatio Nelson Memorial Tournament at MSU, October 20

Field:

Detroit Catholic Central (3)
St. Joseph's (IN) (2)
Detroit Country Day (2)
Brighton (3)
Cranbrook (2)
Hillsdale
Carsonville Port Sanilac
Loyola Academy (IL) (2)
Thurston
Skyline (2)
UD Jesuit
Ionia
Troy
Not Metea Valley

Waiting List:
DCC D
DCC E
Brighton D
DCD C
DCD D
Last edited by Steeve Ho You Fat on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:28 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

This tournament is now Platinum-Certified by PACE, meaning that the top 25% of teams will qualify for the National Scholastic Championship next June. I've updated the field above; with a little over a month to go there's still lots of room, so please send us an E-mail if your team would like to register.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

With the addition of Loyola Academy, we now have three states represented. There's still room left, so any interested teams are invited to sign up.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

We have two spots left; if they aren't claimed by the weekend, we'll fill them from the waiting list. I do not anticipate expanding the field, because of staffing constraints.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
shrey96
Lulu

Post by shrey96 »

Expressing interest for Team Ambiguous; I'll let you know definitively if I can go by tomorrow.
Shreyas Vissapragada
Columbia University '17
Metea Valley High School '13
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

At 24 teams, the field is now closed; any more registrants will be on the waiting list in case someone drops this week.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
shrey96
Lulu

Post by shrey96 »

Umm...I signed up for this before the weekend, but I think you filled the field with waitlisted teams anyways...did you receive my registration?
Shreyas Vissapragada
Columbia University '17
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

No, we haven't received anything from you besides your forum posting last week saying you were interested. I can't kick teams out of the field now, but if you E-mail us to confirm we'll put you on top of the waiting list, and I've never seen a tournament where noone drops.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
shrey96
Lulu

Post by shrey96 »

Oh...well I emailed you again. And just in case you don't receive that one either, I am signing up 1 team for a team under the pseudonym "Not Metea Valley," with no buzzers or moderators. I'm going to be the only person playing on the team, so I was also wondering about any solo player discounts you could give. I definitely qualify for the travel discount.

Also, could I know the time frame for the morning of your tournament (as in when the registration ends, first match begins, etc.) for travel purposes?
Shreyas Vissapragada
Columbia University '17
Muriel Axon
Tidus

Post by Muriel Axon »

shrey96 wrote:Also, could I know the time frame for the morning of your tournament (as in when the registration ends, first match begins, etc.) for travel purposes?
We ask teams to arrive by 8:30; check in will begin at 8:15 and we'd like to start games promptly at 9:00 AM.
Registration will end somewhat before 9, since someone will explain the course of the day to coaches and players. Like it says, plan to arrive before 8:30. Don't traipse in at 8:55 unless you want to earn our eternal ire. Don't traipse in at 9:10 unless you want to watch other teams play.
Shan Kothari

Plymouth High School '10
University of Minnesota '20
Euler's Constant
Lulu

Post by Euler's Constant »

How are the prelims and the playoffs going to be bracketed?
Nicholas Wawrykow
Saint Joseph('s) High School (IN) '13
Yale '17
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Four brackets of six in the prelims, three of eight with the game against the team from your same prelim bracket carrying over in the playoffs for 11 rounds total.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

So this happened. Loyola A had two epic games against DCD A, both coming down to a single final bonus part. DCD, having previously lost to DCC B, set up a one game final with Loyola by beating DCC A in their final match. The final match saw Loyola walk away with the win. Top 3: Loyola A, DCD A, DCC A
Muriel Axon
Tidus

Post by Muriel Axon »

The top individual scorer of the prelims was Siddhant Dogra of DCD A, followed by Morgan Venkus of Loyola A and Shreyas Vissapragada of the School-That-Must-Not-Be-Named. The top six also included Andrew from Hillsdale Academy and some other people. If I recall correctly, Siddhant nearly broke 150 points per twenty tossups. Morgan took home Miniature Schnauzers (with 175 full color photos!) for his marvelous negging capabilities. Congratulations to everyone.
Shan Kothari

Plymouth High School '10
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Stats?
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Prelim stats are up here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... s/prelims/

Playoff and combined stats will be posted later.

As a reminder, the questions are not cleared for public discussion. If you have any feedback, please either E-mail me or join the private discussion group that's been set up on these forums.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
shrey96
Lulu

Post by shrey96 »

The Eighth Viscount of Waaaah wrote:Shreyas Vissapragada of the School-That-Must-Not-Be-Named
This would have been a MUCH better pseudonym.

Also, I would like to thank MSU for running a great tournament on some great questions. The long drive was totally worth it.
Shreyas Vissapragada
Columbia University '17
Habitat_Against_Humanity
Rikku

Post by Habitat_Against_Humanity »

The Eighth Viscount of Waaaah wrote: Morgan took home Miniature Schnauzers (with 175 full color photos!) for his marvelous negging capabilities.
I for one would neg up a storm for this. Puppies is cute.
Rachel
UChicago 09
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

Post by Broad-tailed Grassbird »

shrey96 wrote:
The Eighth Viscount of Waaaah wrote:Shreyas Vissapragada of the School-That-Must-Not-Be-Named
This would have been a MUCH better pseudonym.

Also, I would like to thank MSU for running a great tournament on some great questions. The long drive was totally worth it.
Considering Cranbrook was there, the best pseudonym team names would be Lincoln High School (Warren), or Punahou School.
Nalin
Scranton Middle School (2000-2003)
Brighton High School (2003-2007)
Michigan State University (2007-2011)
Semi-Retired (2012-present)
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Full stats are now available here. Sorry for the delay. Let me know of any corrections you have.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
shrey96
Lulu

Post by shrey96 »

I didn't actually hear 125 tossups vs. Loyola B. That would have been a long match...
Shreyas Vissapragada
Columbia University '17
Muriel Axon
Tidus

Post by Muriel Axon »

shrey96 wrote:I didn't actually hear 125 tossups vs. Loyola B. That would have been a long match...
Unless Joe/Mike corrected that within the last 15 minutes, it does say that you heard 20 tossups against them.
Shan Kothari

Plymouth High School '10
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

I can, in fact, respond to problems quickly.

Edit: Which means that Shrey was right, and I fixed it.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus