WKU Fall JV Tournament (Bowling Green, KY 10/27/12)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

WKU Fall JV Tournament (Bowling Green, KY 10/27/12)

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

The WKU Academic Competition Club will be hosting an academic tournament for JV High School (freshmen and sophomores) quizbowl teams on October 27. This tournament is just two weeks before Kentucky's annual JV Challenge tournament, and we encourage teams attending that to come to our tournament. I will be serving as Tournament Director. Feel free to email me at [email protected] with any questions, concerns, or advice. We'll be sending out information to schools (along with a registration form that can be used as an invoice) shortly. This tournament will be hosted concurrently with a middle school division, which will likely be running in the same building on the same questions. This creates some space limitations, but we have decided to split the difference and cap the field for each division at 18 teams a piece.

Location: Cherry Hall, Western Kentucky University (Bowling Green, KY)

Questions: Along with our Middle School division on the same day, this tournament will be a mirror of SCOP Novice.

Fee: $60 per team. Every team that attends must bring a buzzer system and a staffer. Normally we would not require all teams to bring staffers, but everyone should have older players who are not eligible to play this tournament, and we encourage you to bring them along to help us out. If they need convincing, let them know we'll feed them breakfast and lunch for free.

Payment: We would prefer you pay on the day of the tournament, rather than sending a check ahead of time. Please do not be extraordinarily late with payment, or we reserve the right charge an additional $20 for each month the payment is late. We will accept cash or check, and all checks should be made out to the Academic Competition Club.

Format: We will have a pool play format (probably pools of 4, 5, or 6 depending on field size) and will rebracket into another set of pools in the afternoon that are based on performance in the morning. This is the same format we have used at previous tournaments.

To register, coaches can e-mail me at [email protected]
Last edited by Rococo A Go Go on Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Re: WKU Fall JV Tournament (Bowling Green, KY 10/27/12)

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Field

Campbell County
Dunbar A
Dunbar B
Ezell-Harding A (TN)
Ezell-Harding B (TN)
Gallatin (TN)
Manual A
Manual B
Owensboro
Russell A
Russell B
St. Xavier A
St. Xavier B
Last edited by Rococo A Go Go on Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:31 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
SHM
Lulu

Post by SHM »

Dunbar would like to bring 2-3 teams.
Susan, Dunbar
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Hey, we're less than three weeks from this tournament and we need some more teams to sign up! We had 20 teams in the JV division of this event last year, so I have to admit I was expecting a much better turnout than what we're seeing right now.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

This tournament will take place in Cherry Hall next Saturday. If any teams are going to register, or drop from the field, I need to know in the next week.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Field Update

Adair County
Campbell County
Dunbar A
Dunbar B
Ezell-Harding A (TN)
Ezell-Harding B (TN)
Gallatin (TN)
Manual A
Manual B
Owensboro
Russell A
Russell B
St. Xavier A
St. Xavier B

With a 14 team field, we'll do two pools of 7 tomorrow, with a cross-bracket game between teams on byes. After that we'll re-bracket in some form, probably a 4-4-3-3 format or something similar.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Owensboro and Dunbar B have dropped. With a 12 team schedule, we're going with a much simpler format.

A large chemical spill on I-65 delayed most of the field from getting here on time, and Dunbar still isn't here as Round 2 starts very late. Hopefully we can get this thing up to speed so it isn't a disaster.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Nicholas C
KQBA member
TheDoctor
Rikku

Post by TheDoctor »

Thank you for posting stats! If you played this tournament, please remember that the set will not be clear for public discussion until February 2013. If you want to comment about specific questions, please email [email protected]
Kristin Strey
SCOP
Head Coach, Winnebago High School (2014-)
Head Coach, Thurgood Marshall School (Rockford) (2022-)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-2012)
Northern Illinois University Quiz Bowl Association founder
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

11 teams from Kentucky and Tennessee competed in today's Fall JV Tournament at WKU, a mirror of the SCOP Novice set. I would like to thank each and every one of those teams for attending, we really enjoyed having you on campus and hope to have you back. It was a thrill to get to host this event for you to enjoy, and we hope you had as much fun as we did. The top three teams at this event were:

1) DuPont Manual A (Louisville, KY)
2) Ezell-Harding A (Nashville, TN)
3) Russell B (Russell, KY)

The top five scorers in the preliminary rounds were:

1) Ali Wilt, Russell B (116 PPG)
2) Alice Liu, Manual A (69 PPG)
3) Aric Cunningham, Ezell A (65 PPG)
4) Austin Cunningham, Ezell A (56 PPG)
5) Shravan Ravishankar, Manual B (55 PPG)

I would like to thank a number of people for helping out today: Kirk Barnett of Russell, John Zickel of St. Xavier, Griffin Ray of Ezell Harding, Christopher Manker of Campbell County, and Sheila Baker of Manual served as staffers provided by attending teams and they did an outstanding job throughout the day. I also have four teammates I would like to thank for helping staff this event: Matthew Riggle, Joey Wallace, Tommy Graven, and Cole Phelps. Without those four and the hard work they put in, this tournament would not have happened. I would also like to thank Chad Phillips of the Gatton Academy for coming to speak with students interested in attending Gatton, our adviser Dr. Guy Jordan for providing advice and the ability for us to have access to tournament facilities, and WKU Scheduling Coordinator Jessica Steenbergen for helping us get rooms for this event. Huge thanks go out to Kristin Strey, Brad Fischer, and everybody else who worked on the SCOP Novice set which was well received and of the perfect difficulty for the field of high school freshmen and sophomores who attended our event.

This tournament was meant to get underway at 9 AM, with a goal of being done between 4 and 5 PM. We missed that goal, but came much closer than I would have ever expected considering how things started. As stated upthread, a traffic accident on I-65 delayed half of our field from arriving on time, something that we couldn't really solve regardless of what we tried. I think it is very important to remember that a team of young high school students got up very early attempting to come to this tournament, and did not get to compete because of events completely out of their control. That team was from Dunbar, who was unfortunate enough to be stuck in a part of the traffic jam where even the detour was backed up, and decided to turn back. This is a school that has won multiple tournaments that we've hosted, and have been among the most helpful and reliable members of the Kentucky quizbowl circuit for many years, and we were as disappointed with what happened as they were.

Because we aren't cruel people, we waited until nearly everyone had arrived before we started play, and designed the schedule in a way that the last teams to arrive played each other in the first round. We got started at 10:15 AM and everybody left around 5:30 PM, which on the whole was not ideal but certainly not anywhere as bad as many tournaments I've attended in both high school and college. 2/3 of the teams surveyed at this tournament stated that it was an enjoyable experience, and the questions received nearly universal praise. This was a unique experience for everyone involved, but thanks to the hard work and commitment to quizbowl shown by everyone involved, I truly hope this was as enjoyable an experience for the attending teams as it was for us the host.

Teams are invited and encouraged to attend our varsity tournament, the WKU Hilltopper Invitational, on November 17. To comment on this tournament and/or register for the next one, please email me at [email protected]
Nicholas C
KQBA member
SHM
Lulu

Post by SHM »

Nick,
Thank you for your kind words. We spent 9 1/2 hours in cars today but were not fortunate enough to get to play. Our cars were just behind the accident and it took the police creating a pathway to get us out of the semi maze in which we were surrounded. Can't tell you how much we would have rather been at the tournament! Congrats to DuPont!
Susan, Dunbar