Region 2 (Canada) SCT 2013 @ McMaster University

Old college threads.
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Region 2 (Canada) SCT 2013 @ McMaster University

Post by Senator_Jay »

Calling all Canadian quizbowl teams (or at least those legitimately playing for a recognized institute of higher learning!), after a long wait we finally have an announcement to make: the Region 2 (Canada) SCT 2013 will be hosted by McMaster University, on Saturday, February 9, 2013. Mark your calendars!

Details will be updated ASAP, but for now, here is what to expect:

Date: Saturday, February 9, 2013
Location: Kenneth Taylor Hall (KTH), 1st floor (the building is part of the arts quad connected to the student centre) (http://www.mcmaster.ca)
Times: 8:30am (arrival and registration); 9:30am (start); 6:00pm (targeted latest finish time)
Field: max. 20-24 teams (both DI and DII, and dependent upon registration)
Pre-registration Process: to be done through the NAQT website
(http://www.naqt.com)

We will of course be offering the customary discounts, as prescribed by NAQT:

Lockout System: $10 At least one discount per team; systems must be functional
Clock: $5 At least one discount per team; clocks must be at least as easy to read as NAQT's timers; team must provide battery or power cord
Moderator: $30 Qualified team moderators must be accepted up to two weeks before the tournament; after that, discounts are at the host's discretion
New School: $20/team Teams from schools that neither competed in nor hosted a Sectional in the last two years

We will also add distance discount of -$10/300km (one way) to encourage more distant teams to participate at our site, and a -$5 discount for each dedicated scorekeeper (offered and used for the day).

In order to get an idea for logistical purposes, please send an email to both [email protected] and [email protected] outlining your interest, and how many players, teams, moderators, scorekeepers, buzzers, and timers you may be ready or willing to offer.

We look forward to seeing as many of you Canadian teams as possible in a couple weeks!
Last edited by Senator_Jay on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay Misuk
McMaster University, 2009, 2010, 2016
University of Toronto, 2011, 2017, 2022
MEd. (Educational Linguistics) MSc. (CogSciLing), Hon. BA (Linguistics), BA (History), BEd. (History, Geography, Music, Math, Soc. Sci, Law, Latin)

Tri-national competitor; tri-national neg champion.
To quote the ephemeral Jordan Palmer - "There is no shame, only points"
Masked Canadian History Bandit
Rikku

Re: Region 2 (Canada) SCT 2013 @ McMaster University

Post by Masked Canadian History Bandit »

Why was Buffalo sending out emails then? Or are there two Region 2 sites?
Patrick Liao
Lisgar Collegiate Institute 2011, University of Pennsylvania 2015, University of Toronto Faculty of Law 2019
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Both Buffalo and McMaster are hosting. Expect a full announcement in the next 24 hours.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

Masked Canadian History Bandit wrote:Why was Buffalo sending out emails then? Or are there two Region 2 sites?
This probably should have been corrected during the application process, but Hamilton is actually in Region 7. ACUI is essentially nonexistent in Canada, so we don't really keep track of what school goes where.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
Important Bird Area

Re: Region 7 (Canada) SCT 2013 @ McMaster University

Updated this post accordingly.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
minusfive
Rikku

Post by minusfive »

Although I realize that I must go through the NAQT site process, and that this is not binding, in the spirit of "heads up" Ottawa will be attending this Sectional with at least 2 teams.
Jordan Palmer, Nick Penner's Hero.

Pass by, and curse thy fill, but pass and stay not here thy gait.
Important Bird Area

minusfive wrote:Although I realize that I must go through the NAQT site process, and that this is not binding, in the spirit of "heads up" Ottawa will be attending this Sectional with at least 2 teams.
McMaster is the closest SCT site to Ottawa, so you may attend either this site or Buffalo without any kind of process.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

Absolutely unacceptable. We here at McMaster are racist against Ottawa, so your kind is not welcome to attend.

On a completely less false note, thanks for the heads up; looking forward to seeing you guys here!
Jay Misuk
MEd. (Educational Linguistics) MSc. (CogSciLing), Hon. BA (Linguistics), BA (History), BEd. (History, Geography, Music, Math, Soc. Sci, Law, Latin)

MacSR
Lulu

Post by MacSR »

My rag-tag bunch of trivia enthusiasts will be attending. Probably one team.
Sameer Rawal
McMaster 2011
University of Toronto 2015
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

I will likely be there as a moderator...perhaps affiliated with a Toronto team of some sort.
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
Tom007
Lulu

Post by Tom007 »

Guelph will likely have one Division I team.
Tom Minard
M.Sc. Candidate
Department of Chemistry
University of Guelph
Britney Castleman
Kimahri

Post by Britney Castleman »

Queen's will likely be sending at least one Div II team. Will confirm in the next couple weeks after things have been sorted out at practice. I'm not sure that many other Queen's players use the forums.
B.A (Honours) Français langue seconde University of Ottawa 2011
B.Ed. Primary/ Junior Queen's University 2013
Secretary of the ONQBA
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

For your convenience, the registration link is http://www.naqt.com/registration/regist ... nt_id=4753
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Hey, I know this is the SCT thread and all, but since Canadians seem to be reading it, I was wondering if anyone has a stable contact for the University of Toronto. I've emailed someone named M. Wainberg and haven't heard back.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
the third garrideb
Wakka

Post by the third garrideb »

grapesmoker wrote:Hey, I know this is the SCT thread and all, but since Canadians seem to be reading it, I was wondering if anyone has a stable contact for the University of Toronto. I've emailed someone named M. Wainberg and haven't heard back.
Michael is the current president and your best point of contact. If it's urgent, you could try emailing their coach, Rico. (I'll PM you his email.)
Huma Zafar
University of Waterloo alumna
p-vs-vp
Lulu

Post by p-vs-vp »

Waterloo will likely be sending at least one team.
Arjun Sondhi
VP of Public Relations, Leslie's Miscellaneous Treats
University of Washington, 2014-present
University of Waterloo, 2009-2014

"Can you dance like a hippogriff?
Ma ma ma, ma ma ma, ma ma ma"

But I WANT to be stupid!
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

Hey everyone, so after 2 months of getting jerked around by the bureaucracy that is McMaster University (outside of the Students' Union), we now finally have rooms, and those rumours going around that our site may be compromised may now be quashed. I've amended the post above, but for those who don't catch it...

We shall be meeting on the first floor of Kenneth Taylor Hall (KTH) at 9:00am for a 9:30 start time. KTH is part of the arts quad that is connected to the student centre (MUSC), so peeps may park in either Lot B, C, D, or E (those would be closest), and head into the student centre, out the back of it (heading down the hall where the cafetorium is) into the arts quad, and then to the right. Or, you can pass directy through the lobby of the DeGroote School of Business and it's the building on the otherside of that lobby. So far we have 4 teams actually registered (UofT x2, UTM x1, Queen's x1), and a few other teams interested. We should have room for up to 24 teams, so lemme know ASAP so we can sort out how many staff are required!

Thanks for all of your patience, and I'll see you all next Saturday!
Jay Misuk

Tom007
Lulu

Post by Tom007 »

Regrettably, Guelph is no longer able to attend.
Tom Minard
M.Sc. Candidate
Department of Chemistry
University of Guelph
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

Yo, sup y'all...just a couple days away from the big event! Some last minute details to go over. First of all, just a reminder that in order for us to start as close to 9:30am as possible, I would like teams to make every effort to arrive between 8:30 and 9:00am, so that we can get registrations and whatnot in order. We shall be meeting on the main floor (atrium area) of Kenneth Taylor Hall (KTH), and our base room will be 103. The 3 DI rooms will be on the first floor, and the 3 DII rooms will be in the basement, in close proximity to the stairs.

For those of you who haven't checked the NAQT website, here is our final field:

DI

Algonquin College
McMaster A
MAM
Ottawa A
Toronto A
UWO

DII

McMaster B
McMaster C
Ottawa B
Queen's
Toronto B
Waterloo

If anyone is having any difficulties getting to, or finding where we are on Sat. morning, my cell number is (905) 869-8663, and although it will be on at all times, service in the basement of the arts quad is extremely sketchy. I wish all of you a safe trip, and be sure to bring the $6 necessary for parking in either of Lot B, C, D, or E (there is NO free parking on campus).
Jay Misuk

Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

I would just like to reiterate that which I have already told some teams and administrators already...as of right now, despite there being a hefty amount of snow on the ground, McMaster will still be hosting the tournament tomorrow. Our field remains the same, Ottawa is en route (so far as I can tell), and I have heard nothing else from other teams indicating that they are unwilling/unable to attend. However, I will suggest that we push forward our start time to 10, meaning teams should try their best to arrive at McMaster sometime around 9ish. Those of you taking public transit may benefit from this. Again, if you are experiencing issues arriving in time, please call or text me at 905-869-8663. See you all tomorrow!
Jay Misuk

cruzeiro
Rikku

Post by cruzeiro »

Senator_Jay wrote:I would just like to reiterate that which I have already told some teams and administrators already...as of right now, despite there being a hefty amount of snow on the ground, McMaster will still be hosting the tournament tomorrow. Our field remains the same, Ottawa is en route (so far as I can tell), and I have heard nothing else from other teams indicating that they are unwilling/unable to attend. However, I will suggest that we push forward our start time to 10, meaning teams should try their best to arrive at McMaster sometime around 9ish. Those of you taking public transit may benefit from this. Again, if you are experiencing issues arriving in time, please call or text me at 905-869-8663. See you all tomorrow!
Confirming for you that both Ottawa teams and Algonquin are presently en route to Southern Ontario.
Dennis Beeby
Waterloo Collegiate Institute, 2011
University of Ottawa, 2016
Queen's University, 2017, 2019
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

Thanks Dennis. Just to clarify, there's no need to kill yourselves getting here tomorrow; from the sounds of it, we should have at least 6/12 teams still attending, with no cancellations so far. If you really can't make it tomorrow morning, I need to know ASAP, and your team can attend the postponed Buffalo site next Sat. However, again, we are still running, so if you can make it, please do (safely!).
Jay Misuk

QueensRobin
Kimahri

Post by QueensRobin »

Queen's is going to attempt to make it to Hamilton tonight.

User was reminded to enable a signature. --Mgmt
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

Well, after a very late start (10:45!), we actually managed to get everything wrapped up by 7:15pm! Final stats will follow, but for now I shall divulge this:

DI Winners: Ottawa A, beating out Algonquin College in the final playoff game, and clearing the field with a record of 10-2.

DII Winners: Toronto B, by 10 points, final bonus, final tossup, of the 2nd game of the advantaged final, with a final record of 10-4.

Top DI Scorer: Brendan (Algonquin)

Top DII Scorer: Ed (Queen's)

Top Negs: Ed (Queen's)

Congratulations to all winners, and thanks again to all teams for making it to McMaster despite yesterday's snowpocalypse!
Jay Misuk

minusfive
Rikku

Post by minusfive »

Just want to thank Jay, his DI reading team of Eric Smith and Neil Walford, and all the volunteers for a very enjoyable tournament.
Good show!
Jordan Palmer, Nick Penner's Hero.

Pass by, and curse thy fill, but pass and stay not here thy gait.