NY/NJ Date Claims 2012-2013

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
SHP Pirate
Rikku

Re: NY/NJ Date Claims 2012-2013

Post by SHP Pirate »

The SHP Pirate Open announcement has now been posted.
Michael T. Zinsmeister
Director of Admission
Seton Hall Preparatory School
West Orange, NJ
dlondon
Lulu

Post by dlondon »

The date of PHSAT XX is confirmed. More details to follow soon.

EDIT: The announcement is here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... =1&t=13470
Last edited by dlondon on Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dennis London
President
Princeton College Bowl
[email protected]
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Since Princeton has secured Set 118 from NAQT, the same set being used locally by Scarsdale in January, maybe it is early enough for Scarsdale to secure a different set so as not to be in conflict with Princeton's earlier tournament? If not, it will probably dilute attendance at both tournaments, doubtless hurting Scarsdale more. Just a thought.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Northern Central Railway
Wakka

Post by Northern Central Railway »

Looking at the schedule on NAQT's website, the Northern NJ/NYC Metro area may need to start paying a lot of attention to which sets are claimed by who and on what day. Here's the way claimed NAQT sets stand right now:

IS:
118: Maryland, Princeton, Scarsdale
120: Kellenberg
122: Livingston
124: Bloomfield
126: None right now, but I'm guessing this set would be reserved for states

A-set:
117A: None
119A: Seton Hall, MIT
121A: Yale's FACT
123A: Ranney
125A: Kings Park

0 NJ teams went to FACT last year, and 1 went to Kings Park, so those don't influence NJ as much.

Still though, that leaves the sets unclaimed by NJ teams as:
117A
121A
125A

Also, there's quite a few usual area hosts which haven't claimed a set yet, including Millburn, Chatham, and Half Hollow Hills West, not to mention Wilmington Charter and U Delaware tournaments which have had NJ teams attend in the past. Assuming IS-126 is reserved for states, that would leave Millburn/Chatham/HHHW to fight it out for 117A/121A/125A, and HHHW would probably be unable to use 125A since it has been claimed by Kings Park, and I don't know if Millburn or Chatham are keen on hosting A-sets considering they both used IS sets last year. I guess part of this depends on how the Bloomfield/Livingston date conflict is resolved, but assuming that one or the other moves to another date that doesn't conflict with anything else, the aforementioned problem still happens.
Andrew Ibendahl
Nashville (IL) '04
DePauw '08
Former Coach, Mountain Lakes (NJ)
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Northern Central Railway wrote: 126: None right now, but I'm guessing this set would be reserved for states

not to mention Wilmington Charter and U Delaware tournaments which have had NJ teams attend in the past.

I don't know if Millburn or Chatham are keen on hosting A-sets considering they both used IS sets last year.
IS #126 is indeed reserved for the state championships.

New Jersey teams that attend tournaments in Delaware do so at the risk of having the same set appear closer to home.

Note that the Division II SCT set will also be available for late-spring hosting, so prospective hosts who want harder-than-introductory questions are encouraged to explore that option.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Scaled Flowerpiercer
Wakka

Post by Scaled Flowerpiercer »

It is also worth noting that despite just about running out of NAQT sets, if all other NAQT sets are claimed (including DII SCT maybe even), hosts have plenty of other available options like LIST, DCCAT, the MSU/UD Housewrite, BDAT, etc. Also only one HSAPQ set has been claimed in the area (at QuAC), so other tournaments could use HSAPQ, too.
Samuel Donow
Irvington High School '12
Williams College '16
dlondon
Lulu

Post by dlondon »

Sorry about the conflict. IS-118 is what NAQT assigned to me, and I didn't realize that Scarsdale was also using it. An option that would clear up an extra IS set would be to settle the conflict between Bloomfield (IS-122) and Livingston (IS-124), which are still scheduled for the same day. If both tournaments go ahead on different days, then we still have the same problem, but it's worth a shot. I'll email NAQT about it.
Dennis London
President
Princeton College Bowl
[email protected]
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

The problem with non-NAQT sets is that, other than LIST and HSAPQ, there's not really a proven track record of set quality and controlled difficulty. Especially for tournaments that are drawing a large percentage of newer and/or novice teams, a set that ends up like BDAT or DAFT were last year could be a disaster.
Edward Powers wrote:Since Princeton has secured Set 118 from NAQT, the same set being used locally by Scarsdale in January, maybe it is early enough for Scarsdale to secure a different set so as not to be in conflict with Princeton's earlier tournament? If not, it will probably dilute attendance at both tournaments, doubtless hurting Scarsdale more. Just a thought.
Scarsdale could also presumably use 117A, if they're fine with using an A set. Unfortunately LIST won't be available for mirrors until the following week, or that would be a good choice to have mirrored.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
ProfessorIanDuncan
Wakka

Post by ProfessorIanDuncan »

I should probably say that Irvington plans on hosting a tournament on HSAPQ questions at some point in the fall, but until I get the schedule for the local league I can't set a final date. Also I know that an HSAPQ set will be used at UPenn. Are the 2 locations too close to each other to run the same set?
Alec Vulfson
Irvington High School '13
Lightly Seared on the Reality Grill
Rikku

Post by Lightly Seared on the Reality Grill »

Well, it seems that the major problem right now is Livingston suddenly bringing back their tournament. That burns the IS set Chatham most likely would've used and creates this cluster- :capybara: between itself and other famously-uncooperative host Bloomfield. Scarsdale hosting a tournament around when I'd expect the Hills West Invitational to be is kinda awkward, too.
No New Jersey schools attended FacT last year because LIFT was on the same day (there were, in fact, more NJ schools there than Long Island schools).
Robert Pond
Kings Park '10
Stony Brook '14
University of Victoria '18
Anonymous wrote:naqt is much worse than plagiarism could ever hope to be
cindy_du
Lulu

Post by cindy_du »

Yeah... Scarsdale here, IS118 IS what was approved for us. I contacted NAQT about this problem as well.
Thank you everyone for noticing this before I did!
Sorry for seemingly causing so much trouble with dates and packets.
Cindy Du
'14
Scarsdale High School Quizbowl Team
Scarsdale, NY
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Neither Princeton nor Scarsdale is to blame for the set conflict that has occurred, and hopefully this conflict has been caught in time so that a creative resolution is possible.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Important Bird Area

We're in touch with both teams and have plenty of time to find a solution that maximizes opportunities to play for all teams in the region.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Thanks Jeff.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Important Bird Area

Edward Powers wrote:Any news on the conflict between Bloomfield & Livingston, each using separate NAQT IS Sets (124 & 122, respectively) on the same date, March 16, 2013?
Bloomfield has decided to host on March 2, 2013. Livingston will keep the March 16 date.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Post by MahoningQuizBowler »

Here are the relevant NHBB dates for the season --

Lower Hudson @ White Plains, Dec 15
Northern NJ @ Ridgewood, Jan 19
NJ State @ Princeton, Feb 23

In my conversations with the contact at Monsignor Donovan, December 1 did not come up as a date. I'm waiting on a email back about that date.

Mainland Regional had expressed interest in hosting an event, also.

We will do our Long Island tournament again at Half Hollow Hills West. David will be calling Alan Blayne to get more details.

We are looking for a Sunday tournament in NYC.
Greg Bossick
Director, Mahoning Quizbowl League (2004-2011, 2013-present)
Director, NAQT Ohio Small School State Championship (2018-present)
Executive Director, Ohio Academic Competition (2013-2016)
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Also, tournaments in upstate New York...

Western NY @ Nichols School (Buffalo), date TBD
Rochester @ Victor, Feb 9
Upper Hudson, most likely at RPI, date TBD
Ithaca area, date TBD
Greg Bossick
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

I heard from MonDon today; the date is Nov 17.
Greg Bossick
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

I just received word from Coach Peter Urban of Millburn High School that due to a variety of circumstances he will not be able to host his annual Joseph Bookstaber tournament this November 17th, so I will remove it from the date-claim schedule. Coach Urban has stated that he will try to run the JBMAT sometime in the Spring, possibly during one of the free weeks in April, possibly the 13th or the 20th
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Northern Central Railway
Wakka

Post by Northern Central Railway »

According to the NAQT website, Wilmington Charter will be hosting a tournament using IS-120 and IS-121A (I'm assuming separate varsity and jv divisions?) on November 3.

IS-120 is being used by Kellenberg and IS-121A by Yale for FAcT, but given that the dearth of tournaments in NJ in November, it may not hurt to put it on the schedule in this thread.
Andrew Ibendahl
Nashville (IL) '04
DePauw '08
Former Coach, Mountain Lakes (NJ)
Important Bird Area

Northern Central Railway wrote:Wilmington Charter will be hosting a tournament using IS-120 and IS-121A (I'm assuming separate varsity and jv divisions?)
That's right.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

NHBB will hold its Long Island Regional at Half Hollow Hills West once again, almost certainly on Jan. 12. This will be a C set tournament.
(Edit 10/18 for date update and set confirmation)
Last edited by Great Bustard on Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
cindy_du
Lulu

Post by cindy_du »

Hi,
Terribly sorry for changing and mucking up schedules,
the Scarsdale tournament is now moved to January 5th, since Half Hollow Hills West is not holding a tournament then, at least according NAQT.
Also, our packet set is 123-A no, no conflict with Princeton
So yeah, Lower NY metro area people, please do come?
Cindy Du
'14
Scarsdale, NY
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

While everyone is free to choose whatever set they desire for their tournaments, and Long Island and New Jersey are well-separated regions, I'm a little saddened to see that there are two standard-academic tournaments in the NJ/NYC/LI circuit in January + February, and both are using the same A-series set. I'd like to do some advertising for HSAPQ as a valuable alternative question provider. Worth noting: If you have fewer than 35 teams on an IS set, HSAPQ is cheaper. If you run a 20-team A-set tournament, HSAPQ is only $35 more expensive.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

If Scarsdale is using Set 123 A for its January tournament, it now conflicts with Ranney's February Tournament, using the same Set. Once again, given the lead time, and since both schools are willing to use an A Set, perhaps one of them could secure Set 117 A, which has not been used in this area? Just a thought, else the registrations for both schools will probably be hurt.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
roey
Lulu

Post by roey »

Edward Powers wrote:If Scarsdale is using Set 123 A for its January tournament, it now conflicts with Ranney's February Tournament, using the same Set. Once again, given the lead time, and since both schools are willing to use an A Set, perhaps one of them could secure Set 117 A, which has not been used in this area? Just a thought, else the registrations for both schools will probably be hurt.
NAQT contacted us about this conflict, and suggested set 121A. We agreed, so that is the set we are currently scheduled to use.
Roey Hadar
Ranney School '13, Georgetown University '17
President, Georgetown Quiz Bowl
mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

Just thought I would post this here, but we're hosting a tournament on October 20th that might be appealing to teams in the South Jersey area who aren't going to LIFT. Here's the link: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... =1&t=13474
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

"I have something to say about the difference between American and European cities. But I've forgotten what it is. I have it written down at home somewhere." - David Byrne
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Update on NHBB Long Island - I've been in touch with Alan Blayne and HHH West, and we are awaiting final confirmation of a Jan. 12 date. As of now, this date is open throughout the area, so I trust we're not inconveniencing anyone. The primary reason for moving it up is that numerous schools, especially on Long Island, are used to coming to HHH West for the past 20 years in early January, so since the standard HHH tournament isn't happening, we're hoping that a number of these schools (all of whom will get a standard packet in the mail - just it will be from NHBB this year) will still come to our Long Island tournament (which had 25 teams last year, and should have 30-50 this year). Alan and I will direct it - the HHH West qb team and coach will not be needed to staff and handle all the usual directing responsibilities - hence the reason for why it's possible for HHH West to still host for NHBB even if the standard tournament is a no go. We should have final confirmation of the date within a week, but the building is available that day - just awaiting final approval from the school board (though since they've approved of it the last 2 years, hopefully this is just a matter of procedure).
David Madden
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
czheng0708
Lulu

Post by czheng0708 »

nationalhistorybeeandbowl wrote:As of now, this date is open throughout the area, so I trust we're not inconveniencing anyone.
I don't know how many teams have members that are part of DECA, but the regional tournament for DECA is on the same date. It's in Freeport.
Christopher Zheng
Great Neck South High School '15
University of California, Berkeley '19
MWYang
Lulu

Post by MWYang »

Because Scarsdale will be hosting a January tournament on a NAQT-A packet, does that mean that Half Hollow Hills West will not be hosting one this year?
Michael Yang
Valley Stream South High School
It's Academic Captain '11-'13
Class of 2013
Important Bird Area

Half Hollow Hills is not planning to host this year.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Kouign Amann »

Columbia will be mirroring LIST on March 9. Full announcement to follow.
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
cindy_du
Lulu

Post by cindy_du »

Hi,
So the thread for the Scarsdale Tournament on 1/5 is up
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13760
I hope you all will consider coming!
Cindy Du
'14
Scarsdale, NY
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Okay, so NHBB Long Island is official at Half Hollow Hills West on Jan. 12. We're going to be mailing packets to pretty much every school on Long Island next week, as HHH's standard tournament has done in the past, so hopefully some schools will make the transition that way. The tournament will be on C set, so if area schools can't make S NJ this weekend or Westchester on 12/15, this represents a third opportunity. Also, we're in talks with a CT school about hosting a second area B set tournament in February (or possibly March), though the main B set tournament in the area will be in Ridgewood on Jan. 19 where we're expecting 50+ teams.
Last edited by Great Bustard on Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Madden
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

David,

Is the Ridgewood NHBB on January 19th or 12th? It's been listed as the 19th for months. Has the date been changed?
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Ridgewood is on the 19th of January on B set. Half Hollow Hills is on the 12th of January on C set (sorry about the mistake in the prior post, which I've since fixed)
David Madden
conquerer7
Lulu

Post by conquerer7 »

Any word on the Ranney tournament? Our school already has people lining to sign up!
Kevin Zhou
High Technology High School '13 (Co-Captain)
roey
Lulu

Post by roey »

conquerer7 wrote:Any word on the Ranney tournament? Our school already has people lining to sign up!
Thank you for your interest! The tournament is still up in the air right now, as our administration has been a bit iffy on the tournament. We will try to hold it Feb. 2, but we may have to alter that. I will try to provide updates about any confirmations or changes.
Roey Hadar
Guybo
Wakka

Post by Guybo »

Hi everyone! Just to let you all know the posting for our March Madness tournament on Saturday, March 16, is up on the Regular Season Tournament Announcements part. Here's the link:

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... =1&t=13919

Good to see many of you at Scarsdale this past weekend and props to NJ schools for taking all semi final spots and 6 of the 8 quarterfinal spots and, thus, NAQT nationals qualifying!
Guy Rabner
Spanish and Italian teacher
Academic Team coach
Livingston HS (NJ)
roey
Lulu

Post by roey »

Just an update- Ranney will not be able to host on February 2nd, but we will try for a date at some point in the spring. Once we secure a date, and if the school gives us approval, we will let you know about the tournament details.
Roey Hadar
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

BHSAT is officially on for March 2. We'd love to see you all there!
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
ProfessorIanDuncan
Wakka

BHSAT is officially on for March 2. We'd love to see you all there
its the same date as bloomfield just in case anyone hasnt noticed. the attendance is probably going to be down a bit from NJ teams.
EDIT: This is also the same date as the biggest Westchester :chip: tournament. I know you people frown upon this but bragging rights are a thing.
Last edited by ProfessorIanDuncan on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alec Vulfson
cindy_du
Lulu

Post by cindy_du »

Scarsdale will definitely not host ny states. Too tiring and we want to play this year.
Sorry!
Irvington?
Cindy Du
'14
Scarsdale, NY
ProfessorIanDuncan
Wakka

Obviously, I would like to play too, but someone has to host so I'll bring up the idea at practice.
Alec Vulfson
Important Bird Area

Anyone interested in hosting the New York metro state championship should contact me. Either April 13th or April 20th would work fine.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

bt_green_warbler wrote:Anyone interested in hosting the New York metro state championship should contact me. Either April 13th or April 20th would work fine.
NAQT still doesn't have a confirmed host for the New York metro state championship in April. Please contact me if your school is interested in hosting such an event.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

czheng0708
Lulu

Post by czheng0708 »

bt_green_warbler wrote:
bt_green_warbler wrote:Anyone interested in hosting the New York metro state championship should contact me. Either April 13th or April 20th would work fine.
NAQT still doesn't have a confirmed host for the New York metro state championship in April. Please contact me if your school is interested in hosting such an event.
I thought Irvington was going to try. Any updates, Alec? Or do you [Jeff] know anything about Irvington's plan?
Christopher Zheng
Great Neck South High School '15
University of California, Berkeley '19
Important Bird Area

I haven't heard from Irvington other than that they were interested in trying. If they (or anyone) could confirm a time and place, that would be terrific.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

ProfessorIanDuncan
Wakka

I'm pretty sure we have like no money to host a tournament. I can double check this week.
Alec Vulfson
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

ProfessorIanDuncan wrote:I'm pretty sure we have like no money to host a tournament. I can double check this week.
Isn't the question set free for states events, and wouldn't you pay for it after making money from the tournament even if it did cost something?
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF