Buzzer systems

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
yellow7206
Wakka

Buzzer systems

Post by yellow7206 »

Does anyone know if the wireless buzzer systems that Zeecraft puts out actually work well? Are they worth the money?
Eugene Huang, King of 109
Coach, Longfellow MS
Langley HS, 1989
Longfellow MS, 1985
Spring Hill Elem. 1983
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Re: Buzzer systems

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I have personally had trouble with them - one time at NAQT state in 2011, a set of wireless buzzers in my room started to have multiple buzzers light up at once despite nobody pushing the button for them, and it kept doing this at random times throughout a couple games, so I gave up and had them replace it with a wired buzzer. I also know that NAQT specifically banned use of wireless buzzers at the HSNCT, so it seems they have a similar healthy mistrust of the setup.

I frankly don't see the remotest utility to a wireless buzzer - in the best case scenario that there aren't problems with the wireless system, you still have the exact same gameplay, since you're still buzzing in and activating a light, but this time you have to dump even more money into batteries for every buzzer, along with spending more on the initial system. The wired Challenger III is $640, whereas the wireless Challenger I is over $700, and if any of the buzzers break, replacements for wireless buzzers are literally, like, over $250 more. And when you factor in the risks of wireless systems malfunctioning, when as far as I know wired systems basically don't unless the wire is faulty, I have to ask you, what's the point? Wireless buzzers seem to me like a completely worthless addition to the game, designed to be flashy and impress coaches into forking over way too much money when they could buy a reliable and easy to use Anderson set for hundreds less.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White

Also, I don't allow wireless buzzers at any of the tournaments I run, and I encourage other people to take that stance in their own events.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Euler's Constant
Lulu

Post by Euler's Constant »

This year we (St. Joseph) bought the system that I think your talking about. It can sometimes be a pain for inexperienced moderators who push the bonus button instead of the reset button, and while it's possible to get multiple buzzers to light up at once (we once had three in a practice), it's not common. The batteries need to be replaced at least once if not twice a year depending on use, but the lack of wires makes set up and clean up quick. Also the hand grips can be weird but I personally like them. Honestly, while they work fine, they probably aren't worth the extra money and if we had to buy new buzzers anytime soon I would strongly encourage my coach to save the money, and just get a wired buzzer.
Nicholas Wawrykow
Saint Joseph('s) High School (IN) '13
Yale '17

The actual buzzer component (i.e. the handgrips you mention) aren't specific to the wireless sets from Zeecraft.

mhayes
Rikku

Post by mhayes »

Horned Screamer wrote: I frankly don't see the remotest utility to a wireless buzzer
I've never worked with a wireless system, but I assume that they are much easier to setup.
Matt Hayes

Unaffiliated
merv1618
Tidus

Post by merv1618 »

I've never actually been a fan of Zeecrafts in general--they seem to break easily, especially regarding the reset system.
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10
Northwestern B '14
Loyola (inactive) '21

" 'Yay, more Adam Sperber' --Nobody " --Cody Voight
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

I haven't had problems with wireless buzzers before, but wired systems are much cheaper and easier to fix/replace. Anderson buzzers in particular are a better choice than Zeecraft, IMO.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
merv1618
Tidus

Post by merv1618 »

The Predictable Consequences wrote: Anderson buzzers in particular are a better choice than Zeecraft, IMO.
That's the one; I couldn't remember the name. Other than a small tendency for the bottoms to come unlatched (which shouldn't matter if you know how to hold a buzzer) Andersons are my personal favorite. They nearly eliminate priming, too.
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10
Northwestern B '14
Loyola (inactive) '21

" 'Yay, more Adam Sperber' --Nobody " --Cody Voight
No Electricity Required
Wakka

Post by No Electricity Required »

I agree with Ryan and Adam--Andersons seem like the most reliable and cost-efficient buzzers around.
tristan willey
formerly: macomb, uiuc
writer: naqt
he/him or they/them
Tanay
Rikku

Post by Tanay »

I don't know anything about this company or the functionality of its products, but http://affordablebuzzers.com/ seems to have affordable buzzers.
Tanay
ex-Berkeley, ex-Bellarmine
Scaled Flowerpiercer
Wakka

Post by Scaled Flowerpiercer »

A lot of players on my team prefer Boxy buzzers like what Zeecraft tends to provide, but Zeecraft sets can definitely be annoying due to their bulk and the ease with which the telephone-cord connectors break. Wireless buzzers are certainly nice in the easy-to-setup regard, but I do not think that the increased utility from their wirelessness is worth the extra cost. Andersons definitely seem like the most cost efficient, but again, I know a lot of people (myself included) that prefer the feel of a buzzer "box" rather than the small handheld things. and they offer both of the main styles of buzzer, so they seem like a pretty good choice.

EDIT: Charlie's post made me realize something
Last edited by Scaled Flowerpiercer on Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samuel Donow
Irvington High School '12
Williams College '16
Euler's Constant
Lulu

Post by Euler's Constant »

Charlie- I know that the hand grips are not only on Zeecraft buzzers but I think they come on all (wireless) models or at least all the (wireless) ones I've seen.

(Edit: corrected by post below, thanks Sam)
Last edited by Euler's Constant on Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nicholas Wawrykow
Saint Joseph('s) High School (IN) '13
Yale '17
Scaled Flowerpiercer
Wakka

Euler's Constant wrote:Charlie-I know that Zeecraft is not the only company to use hand grips, but I'm pretty sure that grips are present on all its models, or at least every one I've seen.
As I kind of mentioned in my post, they also produce a "box" model http://zeecraft.com/catalog/wiredregula ... 3436963b41
Samuel Donow
Williams College '16

Anderson also produces box-shaped buzzers.

Ras superfamily
Wakka

Post by Ras superfamily »

I have used wireless buzzers at many HS practices. All of my HS practices were on Zeecraft buzzers. Having said that,

The wireless Zeecraft buzzers suck. Sometimes they are slow, sometimes they are unresponsive, and sometimes they buzz without touching them. On top of all of that, they cost a ton.
On the other hand, the normal Zeecraft systems work fine. However, the Zeecraft lighting boxes all break at the slightest provocation. If you drop it once, the frame will break.

The best buzzers are the ones that have in-hand units and are cheap but also sturdy. There are several such buzzers out there, but they are not Zeecraft brand.
Saajid Moyen
Penn '15

TheCopleyIndian wrote:The wireless Zeecraft buzzers suck. Sometimes they are slow, sometimes they are unresponsive, and sometimes they buzz without touching them. On top of all of that, they cost a ton.
OK, good to know. I was suspicious based on how badly they worked in that one room, mixed with how untested the technology is, but I had never actually heard concrete proof that there were other cases of the buzzers malfunctioning. I saw the Zeecraft guy once when he was plugging it, and he insisted that they never ever malfunctioned, and I wasn't really in a position to argue with him at the time, but yeah, this is clearly not true. Why spend exorbitant amounts of money on a buzzer that isn't even safe to use in a real game?

Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

WKU has been using an SVBZ system for the last two years, and I've found it to be a quality buzzer system that was affordable and has a very good warranty. Anderson is also a very good company, we had an Anderson system in high school that lasted for quite a long time. Wireless buzzers are, in my experience, needlessly complicated, too expensive, and untrustworthy.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Sulawesi Myzomela wrote:WKU has been using an SVBZ system for the last two years, and I've found it to be a quality buzzer system that was affordable and has a very good warranty. Anderson is also a very good company, we had an Anderson system in high school that lasted for quite a long time. Wireless buzzers are, in my experience, needlessly complicated, too expensive, and untrustworthy.
SVBZ has possibly improved their system since 2007 when I last owned one, but at the time this system was awful. It was a tangled mess to set up, it frequently ran out of battery, and the two we owned broke more than any other buzzer system I've ever used.

I own something like 6 Anderson systems and they've been pretty good. They're easy to set up and pretty reliable. The main drawback is the reset button can stick. Also, the individual lights aren't very bright. However, I think it's the best buzzer system out there for the cost.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Black-throated Antshrike
Rikku

Post by Black-throated Antshrike »

The wireless (Zeecraft) buzzer has had numerous problems like what's been mentioned above, but they also will interfere with each other if you use multiple wireless buzzers around each other. I really like the Anderson and the one that looks like police lights (QuizPro? I think)
Joe
Delaware
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Black-throated Antshrike wrote:The wireless (Zeecraft) buzzer has had numerous problems like what's been mentioned above, but they also will interfere with each other if you use multiple wireless buzzers around each other. I really like the Anderson and the one that looks like police lights (QuizPro? I think)
QuikPro has a number of different sets:

The Basic, where all the buzzers plug into the central console, which has bulbs a la the Anderson central unit.
The Deluxe, aka the high-pitch (red) and car horn (orange) buzzers. The individual units use phone cable to plug into the central console.
The Combo, which features table-top buzzers with built-in lights, and rings when triggered.
The Team, where each player has a buzzer, but each team has one tall Deluxe light.
The Deluxe Strobe, which has strobe lights that plug into the central console.

In my experience, these aren't much more durable than Zeecrafts, and are more troublesome in that, in many cases, you either fix it yourself, or have to send it in, since you can't just swap out parts.

Andersons are good value for the money, and spare parts are 1) relatively cheap to procure, and 2) easy to install in case a buzzer breaks during a tournament. I own two, and bought ample spare parts.
Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Post by Sniper, No Sniping! »

In addition to the Zeecraft wireless problems others have mentioned, they tend to have issues with volume and lighting, so in general they are just terrible. The only places I've seen them are at NHBB and Copley (the second and third largest competitions I've been to respectively. HSNCT obviously doesn't allow them), and they are worthless.

We own a both Challenger I and a Challenger II series from Zeecraft (wired), and while they are expensive, we've also had them for about twenty years to my understanding. I wouldn't consider them the most durable, especially when freshmen don't watch their feet and they trip the cord breaking the buzzer, as sometimes the bulbs break off inside the box (this has only happened in practice, the buzzers we take to tournaments we separate from the ones at practice). The buzzer we use, this, I'm not sure is made anymore. I personally prefer the "regular" or as some call it, the "box" model with the light in the same box as the button. We also own a few paddle buzzers that go with the connected lighted part, as you'd see in what I just posted. I personally don't care too much for their hand held units because they are in my opinion annoying and they aren't that flashy. The carrying case is good, though. I think the Challenger is pretty popular in Ohio simply because of OAC (visible timers on the Challengers II and III series). The Inquisitor series is really neat, though I've only used it at HSNCT, and its probably over the top and impractical if you only use it at middle school and probably high school events.

The QuikPro Deluxe in my opinion is the coolest buzzer system that are hand-held simply because they are probably the flashiest buzzer system I've played on. The Deluxe has neat rings, the grip is smaller and they look a lot newer. The strobe light system is cool but I remember it to be sort of pesky to use. However, I will say that the QuikPro Combo is terrible and has horrible buzzer tones to it.

http://www.buzzersystems.com/ These are neat but I've only used #2 and #6, and they were at out of state tournaments.

I agree with the consensus, Anderson's are probably your best bet. They appear to be both the most cost-efficient and they're probably the best buzzers out there, every time I've used one there weren't any problems. They come in hand-held, table top, and hand-pad varieties. I hadn't used a hand-pad system until HSNCT this year, where five of our games used The Judge. That was a neat experience for sure, it takes a little getting used to at first when you want to figure out how sensitive they are to actually triggering. Whether or not you want to bring a hand-pad system to a middle school tournament (I'm not sure how popular they are in other places) would be another thing to consider.
Thomas Moore
Lancaster Fisher Catholic HS c/o 2014
Ohio Wesleyan University c/o 2018
mithokie
Rikku

Post by mithokie »

We got a system from NED at buzzersystems.com last year. They were quite affordable (not quite as affordable as Anderson) and are well built and sturdy. What I really like is the flexibility we have with them. An individual "Traditional System" can support 12 players, but you can purchase multiple Traditional Systems and connect them together to create a larger system that supports more than 12 players, which is good if you have a large team and only one coach.
Matt Beeken
Eastern Montgomery High School
Math Instructional Coach
Scholastic Bowl Coach (2022 - ??)
mbeeken AT mcps DOT org
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

I highly recommend the systems from buzzersystems.com. They are durable (though you'll occasionally need to crimp the broken phone extensions on the cords), we've had ours for over fifteen years. They have excellent service and often have a 48 hr turnaround.
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
Scaled Flowerpiercer
Wakka

David Riley wrote:I highly recommend the systems from buzzersystems.com. They are durable (though you'll occasionally need to crimp the broken phone extensions on the cords), we've had ours for over fifteen years. They have excellent service and often have a 48 hr turnaround.
As another note on Zeecraft buzzers, while they seem to have always done repairs when necessary, it seems like they have had a much greater than 48 hour turnaround (think closer to 48 days...) That said, with the occasional repair, I do think that the 4 Zeecraft sets my school owns have survived for 10-20 years depending on the set (though plenty of individual buzzers have needed to be replaced in that time). Also, they are preferred in areas like Westchester where there are often used for games that require lightning rounds, because they do have a very convenient timer (They are the "official buzzer providers" of the NAC after all). If you don't need a timer though, it seems like there are plenty of better options.
Samuel Donow
Williams College '16
NikhilSethi
Lulu

Post by NikhilSethi »

Personally, I find the zeecraft buzzers somewhat annoying. Generally, it is more difficult to buzz because the button is a lot larger than the Andersons and has to pushed down further. Also, the zeecraft buzzers don't usually have the light on the console for the reader, sometimes leading to confusion and delay of the game.

The QuikPro Deluxe buzzers were also a pain to set up because everything had to be plugged in separately and the wires would break quite frequently.

So, those Anderson box buzzers are probably my personal favorite considering they are the most commonly used in my area and are cost-effective.
Nikhil Sethi
Alpharetta HS '15
mithokie
Rikku

Post by mithokie »

Our Zeecraft Challenger II is missing its "Detachable Powerpack"/"Powerpack for Master Control", which I can order for $21 from Zeecraft. It was not packed up with our buzzers at our last tournament last spring.

I think I might be able to get a better price on one at Radio Shack, but I don't know what the Voltage and Current requirements for the Zeecraft Challenger II are. Can anyone look at their Zeecraft Challenger II DC Adapter and let me know what the correct parameters are?

Thanks!
Matt Beeken
Eastern Montgomery High School
Math Instructional Coach
Scholastic Bowl Coach (2022 - ??)
mbeeken AT mcps DOT org
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

I am informed that the only company making British buzzers charges £621 for a new set, which is over a thousand dollars. How they get away with doing this I am not sure. Apparently you can get a single buzzer -- i.e. one eighth of a set -- replaced for £60. Consequently, I am curious whether anybody here who understands electronics will know if the cheaper American buzzer systems can withstand the difference in current should we attempt to import one.
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Kyle wrote:I am informed that the only company making British buzzers charges £621 for a new set, which is over a thousand dollars. How they get away with doing this I am not sure. Apparently you can get a single buzzer -- i.e. one eighth of a set -- replaced for £60. Consequently, I am curious whether anybody here who understands electronics will know if the cheaper American buzzer systems can withstand the difference in current should we attempt to import one.
Aren't there adapters that handle this for you?
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

It should just require a different power cord, yeah. The US ones step down from 120/60 to 9-12V; I don't see why there wouldn't be a 230/50 -> 9-12V (and appropriate reduction in current). Just check the US power cord and match the output labelled on it.
Last edited by Cody on Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

Could somebody who owns, for example, an Anderson or Zeecraft buzzer perhaps do me a favor and check whether there is an adapter that is part of the power cord that specifies what voltages it is good for?
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13
Cody

Post by Cody »

Kyle wrote:Could somebody who owns, for example, an Anderson or Zeecraft buzzer perhaps do me a favor and check whether there is an adapter that is part of the power cord that specifies what voltages it is good for?
The transformer in our Anderson power cord converts 120/60 to 9 DC w/ 500 mA of current. (it should also be possible to get adapters that go UK -> US so you can just plug straight in. in retrospect, that is probably what Mike Bentley was talking about)
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

Okay, thanks for checking. I appreciate it!
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Kyle wrote:Okay, thanks for checking. I appreciate it!
Careful here! You do NOT want an adapter - you NEED a converter if you want to run Andersons (and likely other systems, though we've only tried it on Andersons) on 220 volt setups, like in Britain and Europe. We fried one of our systems last year, and learned this lesson the hard way. That said, if you get a genuine converter as opposed to a cheaper and lighter adapter, you'll be fine - we did this at 6 different European and 2 Asian sites last year, so I can speak from experience. Still, a converter runs about $30-$60 - combine that with $215 or so for an Anderson, and you're still looking at a much cheaper option than what Schools Challenge (and possibly other British competitions) use.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
jessbowen
Lulu

Best Buzzer system

Post by jessbowen »

Hi,

I apoligize if this topic is addressed somewhere else - I looked but didn't find what was looking for. I just found out that I can apply for some funding that was made available and I'd like to get a high quality buzzer system. I have one system, but I bought it with my own money and my criteria was to find the cheapest lock-oout buzzer available. It works, but I'd like something a step or two up now.

When I've played at tournaments and get to see different buzzers, I've tried to pay attention to features that appeal to me. I really like the ones that have different sounds for the two teams. Since it seems that you frequently have to travel with a buzzer system, a nice case that protects and packets up nicely is important too. I definitely don't want something that runs on batteries and instead plugs in. What are your opinions on thumb buttons, lights, etc.? Is the ability to add many players to a system or more than two teams valuable?

I'd love someone to point me in the direction of your favorite buzzer system (even if it's expensive), and tell me why it's great. Warnings of poor quality buzzers to avoid would be nice too.

Thanks!

I moved this post over from a separate thread in the new teams section. --Kyle
Jessica E. Bowen
Coach, AMSA Charter School
Marlborough, MA
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Post by MahoningQuizBowler »

Echoing what David said -- I'm guilty of frying one of the buzzer systems I took to Madrid. I had converters, but they were not usable with Class 2 transformers, which is what the Anderson-included ones are. I'm not sure if this would be a problem with UK converters, though.
Greg Bossick
Director, Mahoning Quizbowl League (2004-2011, 2013-present)
Director, NAQT Ohio Small School State Championship (2018-present)
Executive Director, Ohio Academic Competition (2013-2016)
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Re: Best Buzzer system

Post by MahoningQuizBowler »

jessbowen wrote:I apoligize if this topic is addressed somewhere else - I looked but didn't find what was looking for. I just found out that I can apply for some funding that was made available and I'd like to get a high quality buzzer system. I have one system, but I bought it with my own money and my criteria was to find the cheapest lock-oout buzzer available. It works, but I'd like something a step or two up now.

When I've played at tournaments and get to see different buzzers, I've tried to pay attention to features that appeal to me. I really like the ones that have different sounds for the two teams. Since it seems that you frequently have to travel with a buzzer system, a nice case that protects and packets up nicely is important too. I definitely don't want something that runs on batteries and instead plugs in. What are your opinions on thumb buttons, lights, etc.? Is the ability to add many players to a system or more than two teams valuable?

I'd love someone to point me in the direction of your favorite buzzer system (even if it's expensive), and tell me why it's great. Warnings of poor quality buzzers to avoid would be nice too.

Thanks!
Andersons have different tones for the two teams in their basic, 10-player set. They're good value for money, even with the extra $15 for a carrying case. http://www.andersonbuzzersystems.com

Also, if you haven't already, sign up for a chance at a Matt's Buzzers grant (http://www.mattsbuzzers.com) -- if you win a grant, there are buzzer providers who will extend a 15% discount to you. Between the grant and the school funding, you might be able to get 2 systems.
Greg Bossick
Director, Mahoning Quizbowl League (2004-2011, 2013-present)
Director, NAQT Ohio Small School State Championship (2018-present)
Executive Director, Ohio Academic Competition (2013-2016)
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

I found the Anderson carrying case in a local Wal-Mart for under $10; of course, your luck may vary.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
jessbowen
Lulu

Post by jessbowen »

Does anyone have feedback on the Quiz Wizard II by Creative Electronics? http://www.c-e-d-inc.com/
Jessica E. Bowen
Coach, AMSA Charter School
Marlborough, MA
Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Susan »

The system you're describing is better known as "the Knot"--if you search the forum for "knot" you'll find some older posts about it, like Chris's here. Chicago had a Knot while I was there; it definitely has the large advantage of being able to handle 12-16 players, but there were some minuses: it's very heavy and hard to transport, it's hard for the players to tell who has buzzed in (there are no lights or anything on the handheld buzzers; the moderator has to read the letter and number of the player who buzzed in) and the power cord is surprisingly delicate and broke on us only a few years in (it's fixable, but annoying).
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

the moderator has to read the letter and number of the player who buzzed in
For this reason, I would not recommend purchasing a knot.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

bt_green_warbler wrote:
the moderator has to read the letter and number of the player who buzzed in
For this reason, I would not recommend purchasing a knot.
Agreed. You'll also quickly learn why it's called "The Knot" after someone fails to put it away properly for the first time. I've dealt with two of them, and found that some of the buzzers will begin to stop working over time, so you can no longer play with all four buzzers of the same "set." For example A2 may die, but A1, A3, and A4 will still function.

Refurbishing one is roughly the cost of a new one. You can buy ~two systems from many other manufacturers for the same price.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

I'll also add that the knot is definitely not the best system if you're looking for one to take to tournaments.

If you actually run into having 12+ players in a single practice room, you're better off getting an expandable system from Novel (buzzersystems.com).

If money is truly not a concern, then Novel has a number of options that are workable. Having actually seen where they are produced, they are quality, and come with carrying cases.

EDIT: I can't spell.
Last edited by dtaylor4 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Judging by the website, I think you mean Novel. (Novell being a rather famous company, this confused me massively)
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

SirT wrote:Judging by the website, I think you mean Novel. (Novell being a rather famous company, this confused me massively)
Fixed. Took one too many hits tonight.
Eddie
Rikku

Post by Eddie »

Sorry to bump this thread, but does anyone know if it's possible to run Anderson buzzers on batteries? One of my more technologically literate teammates attached a battery to a Judge buzzer system, which can now operate for a couple of hours without needing to be plugged in, and I was wondering if the same could be done with Andersons.
Eddie
he/him/his/hine
UCSD, UCLA
ibuzzedfirst
Lulu

Post by ibuzzedfirst »

Just a quick note to point out that the quickest and cheapest way to set up a wireless buzzer system would be to use a smartphone product like I Buzzed First! available for iPhones, Android phones, and Windows Phones (7.5 & 8), all fully compatible with each other. It only costs $0.99 for each contestant, plus another $0.99 for the quiz master.

Please see my signature below for links.

Regards,
Nick Talbot

Magic Hat Solutions Ltd
Nick Talbot
I Buzzed First! - http://www.ibuzzedfirst.com - A Quiz Bowl buzzer
Available in the Apple App Store - http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/i-buzzed ... 22820?mt=8
Available in the Android Market - http://market.android.com/details?id=IB ... uzzedFirst
Available in the Amazon Appstore - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00802 ... zzed_First!
Available in the WindowsPhone Marketplace - http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=d7d ... 17b462c5be
quiz4life
Lulu

Post by quiz4life »

Hi Kyle,
This maybe a tad late but...I suggest buzzersystems.com not only do they have excellent systems but they have an convertor available to order. I have used buzzersystems.com at many of the different international schools I have coached. That includes Shanghai American School where I used them with your former quiz mate Dennis Sun. :grin:

mod edit to fix website typo
Michael Harvey
Academic Quiz Coach
Concordia International School Shanghai
Shanghai, China

Formerly Coach at
Seoul Foreign School 2018-2020
Community School of Naples, FL. 2015-2018
Singapore American School 2012-2015
Shanghai American School 2003-2005
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

quiz4life wrote:Hi Kyle,
This maybe a tad late but...I suggest buzzersystem.com not only do they have excellent systems but they have an convertor available to order. I have used buzzersystem.com at many of the different international schools I have coached. That includes Shanghai American School where I used them with your former quiz mate Dennis Sun. :grin:
I believe you mean buzzersystems.com, which is the website for Novel Electronic Designs.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
quiz4life
Lulu

Post by quiz4life »

Hi Jon,
Yes you are correct. In my defense it was rather late when I wrote that post:oops:

Thanks and good pick-up.
Michael Harvey
Academic Quiz Coach
Concordia International School Shanghai
Shanghai, China

Formerly Coach at
Seoul Foreign School 2018-2020
Community School of Naples, FL. 2015-2018
Singapore American School 2012-2015
Shanghai American School 2003-2005