NAQT region 6 SCT announcement.

Old college threads.
bradleykirksey
Wakka

NAQT region 6 SCT announcement.

Post by bradleykirksey »

Glad to say that sectionals for region 6 will be held at UCF.

It'll be a one day event on February 9th,
Location will depend on what winds up getting booked for us, but will most likely be then Student Union at the center of campus.
Time will depend on the number of teams who sign up, obviously, However, I'd imagine that check in would start around 8, rounds would start around 9, and that it ought to all be over by 5.

It's $120 for the first team from a school and $100 for each subsequent school. As per NAQT rules, the following discounts are available.

Lockout System: $10 At least one discount per team; systems must be functional
Clock: $5 At least one discount per team; clocks must be at least as easy to read as NAQT's timers; team must provide battery or power cord
Moderator: $30 Qualified team moderators must be accepted up to two weeks before the tournament; after that, discounts are at the host's discretion
New School: $20/team Teams from schools that neither competed in nor hosted a Sectional in the last two years

Please email me about logistics like buzzers and staffers. My email is [email protected] Because our school determined our buzzer sets are a fire hazard, it would be a very good thing if we could get a head count on buzzers. As always, registration itself is done through the NAQT website.

Thanks, and let me know if you have any questions.
Bradley Kirksey
Mayor of quiz bowl at the University of Central Florida (2010-2015)
The club at Reformed Theology Seminary Orlando (2017 - 2021)
bradleykirksey
Wakka

Re: NAQT region 6 SCT announcement.

Post by bradleykirksey »

So, the results. We had a combined field of 6 DII teams and 1 DI team. We expected to have 8 and printed off enough packets for 8. A tournament of 7 means a double round robin. This caught us off guard, we couldn't get the packets in time, so we played it like UF B forfeited every round.

UCF A was the overall champion.

2nd UF
3rd UCF B
4th Mercer
Bradley Kirksey
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

So, I don't want to come off as a jerk here, but you couldn't have scrounged up 3-4 laptops or spent an extra $20 when you were printing it off?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Wendish Crusade
Lulu

Post by Wendish Crusade »

Fred wrote:So, I don't want to come off as a jerk here, but you couldn't have scrounged up 3-4 laptops or spent an extra $20 when you were printing it off?
Considering what happened at our site, I think he's learned his lesson.
Sam Gafkjen
Iowa State, '05-'12
Central Florida, '12-
bradleykirksey
Wakka

Post by bradleykirksey »

Sam's right. There's a mistake I'm never going to make again. I thought that since money is very tight, and printing money is coming directly out of my pocket. I shouldn't spent another $20 on packets we probably won't ever use. Now I know better, and I won't do that again.
Bradley Kirksey