CO History 2013 planning

Old college threads.
Tees-Exe Line
Tidus

CO History 2013 planning

Post by Tees-Exe Line »

So here's the deal: I would like to edit this year's version of CO History as a voluntary-packet-submission tournament on Sunday. I would be happy to limit the length so it doesn't run most of the day and Ryan or anyone else's event can also be played on that day. A couple of things:

1. If everyone hates the idea of having an edited CO History, then I will yield that prime slot to the usual guerrilla-style event and run a history side tournament with the set of brilliant history questions I've amassed some time next year. If you feel robbed by this idea, please post here or email me. I won't be offended.

2. Regarding packet submission, I will use good submitted questions in preference to my own, so submitting wouldn't be an empty exercise. It would also get you free admission, as opposed to a $20-or-so entry fee for other teams.

3. My philosophy for editing this would be to retain the freedom that has been CO History's strength in the past regarding the choice of clues and the range of possible answer lines, while subscribing to sound quizbowl practice in question-writing. So no ridiculously tortured answer lines. I would, of course, ask submitters to keep that philosophy in mind. If you have a really cool idea for a history question, this is the tournament to submit it to, but do your best to make sure it will actually play well as quizbowl and not simply show the world that you know about something interesting.

4. Since this is the one time that the many excellent retired history players have to face off against one another and the currently-active history players, I think some attention should be paid to constructing this tournament to legitimately rank the history players. In my opinion, the tossups-only structure gets in the way of this goal IF we run the tournament in teams. So I'd like to run the tournament with bonuses to make the aspect of constructing a balanced team more important, OR simply have it exclusively solo. It might be impossible to staff the latter concept, in which case I'd propose more than two teams per room, but that's departing a great deal from orthodoxy. I think 20-question rounds with bonuses and either two or three people per team is ideal.

Please let me know your thoughts about this. Points (3) and (4) characterize my view whether or not this tournament is edited or guerrilla.
Marshall I. Steinbaum

Oxford University (2002-2005)
University of Chicago (2008-2014)
University of Utah (2019- )

Get in the elevator.
Cheynem
Sin

Re: Who's Doing CO?

Post by Cheynem »

I endorse this idea, but the only problem is I think CO Trash is already booked for that Sunday.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

I would enjoy an edited CO history.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

I endorse the idea of an edited CO history with bonuses (and of course I plan to submit a packet).
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

Since I'm retired from playing quizbowl (for now, at least), I'd be happy to help edit any CO History tournament.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Important Bird Area

Post by Important Bird Area »

I'll start this year's CO History schedule controversy by noting that bonuses would extend the length of the tournament. How do we feel about:

1) Half-day tournament versus whole-day tournament? Sunday or Friday? If CO Trash takes up the whole day Sunday, there may not be a good option.

2) 20/0 packets versus 10/10 packets?
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

I'd play CO history in any form that it ends up taking. I strongly prefer that it not be on Friday, though.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Auron

The 16/16 format I used when I ran CO History in 2008 seemed to take only a few hours, but it was also on a bracketed schedule.
Bruce
ACF Member emeritus
Tees-Exe Line
Tidus

Re: CO History 2013 planning

Post by Tees-Exe Line »

My thought was 10 rounds of 20/20, amounting to five hours. We can shorten those packets a bit, like 16/16, but I think 10/10 is too little.

EDIT: My thought is to do two brackets as well, if interest is anything like what it was last year. Or teams of four.

I can do any schedule, but I strongly prefer Sunday as I thought the barbecue was fun last year and I'd like to be free to prepare again.
Marshall I. Steinbaum

Get in the elevator.
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

CO Trash is usually a 10-packet affair (perhaps with finals), so maybe history can happen starting in the early afternoon on Sunday.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Susan

Post by Susan »

If you're interested in doing singles and not having it take forever and require infinite staff, you could do Eric Hillemann's format (players qualify out of pools and the the top n play a double-elim bracket. You'd have to write the whole thing if you did that, though--I'm pretty sure there's no (non-crazy-making) way of running that as a packet sub tournament.
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

If I make it to CO, I'd love to play this.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

I'd be delighted to play such a tournament.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Demonic Leftovers
Wakka

Post by Demonic Leftovers »

Regarding CO Trash I would like to run that on Sunday. Andrew is right that the current plan is to have 10 rounds and then finals. I have no objection to running CO History after it, but depending on the length of CO History I'm not sure it would be feasible. I suppose if demand for CO History is significantly higher then it could run Sunday and my trash tournament could be run somewhere else but I would strongly prefer to run it at CO.
TWO TIME NATIONAL CHAMPION David A. Seal, Esq.
QUINTUPLE CROWN WINNER: ICT/ICT/NHB/NHB/CULT
Coach of 2014 and 2015 ICT Champion UVA
University of Chicago '10
University of Virginia School of Law '13
Not Every Team Can Afford Me
Coattail Rider
Auron

My suggestion is to quickly come to terms with the fact that there is no optimal solution (every possible time slot will screw somebody, pick the one that will screw the least but don't let the cries of the victims slow you), and then pick a time slot as quickly as possible to give the survivors as much time to arrange their logistics as possible.
Bruce
ACF Member emeritus
Tees-Exe Line
Tidus

Post by Tees-Exe Line »

Skepticism and Animal Feed wrote:My suggestion is to quickly come to terms with the fact that there is no optimal solution (every possible time slot will screw somebody, pick the one that will screw the least but don't let the cries of the victims slow you), and then pick a time slot as quickly as possible to give the survivors as much time to arrange their logistics as possible.
Yeah, I agree with this. I am willing to commit to running the history tournament in a manner consistent with a half-day, five-hour schedule, provided the Trash Party is willing to agree to the same grand bargain. I'm leaning toward doing that as ten rounds of 16/16 -- 18/18, with enough time left to run a one-game final. If this deal appeals, then I propose to put it to a simple vote which should be run first on the Sunday.
Marshall I. Steinbaum

Get in the elevator.
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Can perhaps part of the history tournament run on Saturday? I guess I'd prefer to see two quality, full length events as opposed to slamming them down.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Tees-Exe Line
Tidus

Post by Tees-Exe Line »

Cheynem wrote:Can perhaps part of the history tournament run on Saturday?
IMO, one grand battle of minds is enough for one day. I'm always exhausted after CO. Now I suppose I won't be playing the history tournament, but I really don't want to do this. Also, there's the question of nighttime eviction as happened two years ago.
Marshall I. Steinbaum

Get in the elevator.
Demonic Leftovers
Wakka

Post by Demonic Leftovers »

I have no objection in principle to splitting Sunday between CO Trash and History. My only concern is the actual ability to keep to the type of 10 round, 5 hour schedule you propose. While it may be possible to do so with sufficient capable staff, no major snafus, competently handled lunch, etc., I am somewhat skeptical that such a schedule could be met in practice. However, I am inclined to agree that there is probably no better solution that allows for both tournaments to be run at CO.
TWO TIME NATIONAL CHAMPION David A. Seal, Esq.
QUINTUPLE CROWN WINNER: ICT/ICT/NHB/NHB/CULT
Coach of 2014 and 2015 ICT Champion UVA
University of Chicago '10
University of Virginia School of Law '13
Not Every Team Can Afford Me
Coattail Rider
Tees-Exe Line
Tidus

Post by Tees-Exe Line »

Cultural Infidel wrote:My only concern is the actual ability to keep to the type of 10 round, 5 hour schedule you propose. While it may be possible to do so with sufficient capable staff, no major snafus, competently handled lunch, etc., I am somewhat skeptical that such a schedule could be met in practice.
I submit that this was done, despite much carping from some people, last year between CO History and WELD, albeit with some sprawl from the history tournament and rushed moderation. I think it's feasible, especially if we explicitly set the parameters in advance and if there's a generous spirit of cross-staffing. In that vein I would be happy to staff the trash tournament.
Marshall I. Steinbaum

Get in the elevator.
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I think it did result in a slowly dissipating field for WELD, although not horrendously so, I guess. Of course, neither History Doubles nor WELD last year featured bonuses.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

CO is of such a length and field size nowadays that any side event on the same day is pretty much unthinkable.

In the somewhat unlikely event that I attend CO, I would be amenable to trash and history existing on the same day; I would want both events to be very conscious about running efficiently and it might make sense to trim one significantly - bringing History down to 16 tossups and 16 SHORT bonuses, or even 15/15, or 20-tossup, would probably be necessary, as would ensuring that neither tournament has more than ten packets + final.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

As far as format goes, I would really prefer CO history to be 20/0. I understand and sympathize with wanting to have bonuses, but it just doesn't seem possible this year.

Also, I guess this means I can't run Lederberg 2 at CO this year :(
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

I'm okay with whatever format this ends up being, but it sounds like it would work better time-wise if it's just tossups. I really don't care, though.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I want to write for Lederberg again if it happens!
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Tees-Exe Line
Tidus

Post by Tees-Exe Line »

The Quest for the Historical Mukherjesus wrote:As far as format goes, I would really prefer CO history to be 20/0. I understand and sympathize with wanting to have bonuses, but it just doesn't seem possible this year.
If the field wants tossups-only, I'll do it that way, but I'd prefer to make the number of rounds accord with the five-hour time limit and include bonuses than sacrifice the bonuses. I like the idea of unusual team combinations, and it seems to me that there's nothing really gained by forming them if the round consists of a four-way shootout, with two people's scores arbitrarily added together at the end.
Marshall I. Steinbaum

Get in the elevator.
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

So we would need to make sure that we can have 10 rounds and a final last only a couple of hours. If it works, I would definitely be willing to staff the trash tournament if some of the trash people will help staff the history tournament.
Jacob O'Rourke

Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

There's a high probability that I won't be able to make it to CO this year, so if you want any extra help editing, I'd be down for that, Marshall.
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Post by No Rules Westbrook »

I'd greatly prefer to have bonuses in an edited/non-guerilla history event.

But, Bruce is right...there's no optimal slot to do it. If CO is on the shorter side (and since I'm not editing it, it might be...like, say if it ends around 7:00) - then it's feasible and probably best to run the event Saturday night. It doesn't much matter to me; I'll play it whenever it happens. When can we establish the precedent that people are expected to skip school or take off work on the Monday and Tuesday of CO weekend? That would solve so many issues.

As I alluded in the other thread, I think I'll probably have a multi-subject event that would be ready to play, and if people support it happening Friday night, I'd be fine with doing it then.
Ryan Westbrook, no affiliation whatsoever.

I am pure energy...and as ancient as the cosmos. Feeble creatures, GO!

Left here since birth...forgotten in the river of time...I've had an eternity to...ponder the meaning of things...and now I have an answer!
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

I don't see a way of shortening the main event so that anyone will want to play a tournament afterwards. One of the problems is that you don't really have a lot of good moderators for the main event, since everyone is playing.

I also don't see a way to do a tossup/bonus event and anything else meaningful on Sunday.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Tees-Exe Line
Tidus

Post by Tees-Exe Line »

I'm still pushing for bonuses, but if we do tossups only how do people feel about everyone-plays-solo, 4-person-shootout per room? (or more)
Marshall I. Steinbaum

Get in the elevator.
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Ehhh.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Post by No Rules Westbrook »

Oh, there are always plenty of people who *want* to play. The CO crowd is brimming with folks who would play an event at 3 AM if you scheduled it then.

The problem is that Sunday is mayhem with people running around yelling that their flight is leaving in 45 minutes. Saturday's a big unknown as to starting time, and everyone is dog tired and not playing very well, and there's an outside chance a security guard will boot you from the building. I've always felt that Friday is by far the most stable slot, though it has its problems too.

If we're ever gonna have a "qb weekend spectacular" at some point, we're just gonna have to tell people it goes from Friday to Tuesday...but I don't know if that's doable.

As to the last comment, shootout tournaments are the worst. The only environment I like them in is "while playing poker at the hotel room."
Ryan Westbrook, no affiliation whatsoever.

I am pure energy...and as ancient as the cosmos. Feeble creatures, GO!

Left here since birth...forgotten in the river of time...I've had an eternity to...ponder the meaning of things...and now I have an answer!
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

On that note: for god's sake, people, schedule your flights for Monday morning if you want to play all the Sunday events!
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Now that CO is scheduled, what's the status of CO History? I plan on attending CO, and would like to play one event. I would rather play CO History and staff CO, but if this isn't happening this year, then I'd like to play CO this year then instead.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
Tees-Exe Line
Tidus

Post by Tees-Exe Line »

CO History is indeed happening:

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... =8&t=14210

The packet submission deadline is June 9th, if you want to submit a packet.
Marshall I. Steinbaum

Get in the elevator.
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

I'll be playing this with Edmund Dickinson. We might submit a packet - depends on how busy things are for me at the beginning of June.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
Edmund
Wakka

Post by Edmund »

Standard-winged Nightjar wrote:We might submit a packet - depends on how busy things are for me at the beginning of June.
I'll make a packet happen regardless, but if David turns out to be excessively busy, then parts of it might be not very good.
Edmund Dickinson
UK Quizbowl
University of Oxford '11