YOLO I @ Westview HS - San Diego, CA (20 April 2013) [LIST]

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
luciayang
Lulu

YOLO I @ Westview HS - San Diego, CA (20 April 2013) [LIST]

Post by luciayang »

Westview High School is pleased to announce You Only LIST Once, or YOLO. YOLO I is a dual level tournament with two divisions, one Novice division and one Regular division (for more experienced players), directed by Kevin Li.

DATE/TIME: YOLO I shall take place on Saturday, 20 April 2013. Check-in shall begin at 8:00 A.M., and matches shall begin promptly at 9:00 A.M.

LOCATION: YOLO I shall take place on the campus of Westview High School, located at 13500 Camino del Sur, San Diego, CA 92129. Vehicles may park in either lot and persons may enter the campus through the front gates. Matches shall take place in the classrooms in the J and L buildings. A map of the campus can be found here.

REGISTRATION: Teams must register for YOLO I by emailing [email protected] with the following information: the school's name, the number of teams, the number of buzzers, the number of moderators, the calculated total fee, and a contact phone number. Also specify whether you will be participating in the novice division or the regular division. Schools shall be limited to two teams for the regular division and there is no team limit for those interested in the novice tournament. Schools may send teams for both the novice and the regular divisions. Registrations shall be confirmed with a reply email. Replying to this thread will not register a team. The registration fee may be paid on-site or mailed as a non-refundable check in advance to the address 13500 Camino del Sur, San Diego, CA 92129. Checks must be made payable to Westview Quizbowl and the envelope must read "ATTN: Limor Weltsch" on it or the payment shall not be received. Registration is final one week prior to YOLO on Saturday, 13 April 2013 at 11:59 PM. A penalty fee (see below) will be applied to each team that drops out after registration is finalized.

NOVICE ELIGIBILITY: First year players of Quizbowl are automatically qualified for novice. All other players are eligible if he or she has participated in a maximum of three high school level Quizbowl tournaments prior to YOLO I on 20 April 2013. Grade level does not dictate eligibility; however, the three tournaments are cumulative and carry over from previous grade levels. All players on a team participating in the novice division must meet the novice eligibility. Players who are not eligible to play in the novice tournament are welcome to play in the regular division.

The registration fee structure shall be as follows:
NOVICE DIVISION:
$40 for first team
$30 for subsequent teams
REGULAR DIVISION:
$80 for first team
$70 for subsequent teams

-$5 (off total school cost) for each fully functioning buzzer system
-$15 (off total school cost) for each competent staff member present the entire tournament
-$20 (off total school cost) for schools that have not competed in an NAQT tournament in the past year
-$5 (off total school cost) for every fifty (50) miles travelled, according to Google Maps
+$10 for each team that drops out one week prior to YOLO I (penalty fee applies promptly after 4/13/2013 11:59 PM PST)
Note: Discounts may apply for both the Novice and Regular divisions. Minimum fee for any team is $0

TOURNAMENT FORMAT: The tournament shall use the 2013 Ladue Invitational Spring Tournament (LIST) Set and shall adhere to official NAQT rules, with the exception that matches shall be run as untimed halves of ten questions each. A preliminary round robin in the morning shall be followed by round robin playoffs in the afternoon based on win-loss records. Ties shall be resolved on the basis of points per bonus, and ties therein shall be resolved on the basis of points per game.

The field size for the novice tournament will have no limit until further notice, and teams shall have no more than five players, no more than four of whom shall play at any point in time. The field size for the regular (non-novice) tournament is 18 teams until further notice.

FOOD: A light breakfast shall be provided in the lobby, and eateries exist within a comfortable walking distance of the campus. Westview’s very own Key Club will be selling In-n-Out burgers/fries and pizza on site during lunch. The Torrey Highlands Shopping Center and a strip of small shops are located a comfortable 5-10 minute walk from Westview High School and include food options such as Albertsons, Rubio’s, Subway, Pick Up Stix, Starbucks, Luna Grill, Peet’s Coffee & Tea, etc. Other snacks/drinks (chips, candy, sodas, etc.) will also be sold throughout the day.

INQUIRIES: Any inquiries can be resolved through emailing [email protected] or posting on the SoCal Quiz Bowl Facebook group.
Last edited by luciayang on Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lucia Yang
Westview High '15
Eddie
Rikku

Re: YOLO I @ Westview HS - San Diego, CA (20 April 2013)

Post by Eddie »

Er... I thought "YOLO" stood for "You Only LIST III Once" since there'll inevitably be people who play the LIST set again next year.
Eddie
he/him/his/hine
UCSD, UCLA
luciayang
Lulu

Re: YOLO I @ Westview HS - San Diego, CA (20 April 2013)

Post by luciayang »

This post is reserved for the field.
NOTE: REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.

FIELD
Novice
1. La Jolla
2. San Dieguito
3. San Dieguito
4. Canyon Crest
5. University City
6. Univeristy City
7. Madison
8. Del Norte
9. Del Norte
10. Del Norte
11. Rancho Bernardo
12. Rancho Bernardo
13. Cathedral
14. Torrey Pines
15. Torrey Pines
16. Torrey Pines
17. Knights of the Green Table (Mesa Verde)
18. Black Mountain
19. Black Mountain
20. Black Mountain
21. Granite Hills
22-25. Mt. Carmel
26. Francis Parker
27. Carmel Valley
28. Carmel Valley
29. Arcadia
30. La Jolla
31. San Pasqual
32. Canyon Crest

Regular
1. La Jolla
2. Arcadia
3. San Dieguito
4. Del Norte
5. Del Norte
6. Rancho Bernardo
7. Rancho Bernardo
8. Cathedral
9. Francis Parker
10. Arcadia
11. Arcadia

BUZZERS
1. Madison
2. Del Norte
3. Del Norte
4. Rancho Bernardo
5. Rancho Bernardo
6. Torrey Pines
7. Torrey Pines
8. Ashford Academy
9. Black Mountain
10. Black Mountain
11. San Dieguito
12. San Dieguito
13. Granite Hills
14. University City
15. Mt. Carmel
16. North Hollywood
17. Arcadia
18. Arcadia
19. Jeffrey B's Buzzer
20. Carmel Valley
21. San Pasqual

MODERATORS
1. Eddie Kim
2. San Dieguito
3. San Dieguito
4. University City
5. Madison
6. Del Norte
7. Granite Hills
8. University City
9. Rancho Bernardo
10. Rancho Bernardo
11. North Hollywood
12. Jeffrey B.
Last edited by luciayang on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:01 am, edited 15 times in total.
Lucia Yang
Westview High '15
Eddie
Rikku

Re: YOLO I @ Westview HS - San Diego, CA (20 April 2013) [LIST]

Post by Eddie »

May I ask why two of Canyon Crest's teams are waitlisted?
Eddie
he/him/his/hine
UCSD, UCLA
orenji
Lulu

Post by orenji »

they are waitlisted because i cannot confirm yet.
Oliver Ren
Canyon Crest Academy 2010 - 2014
Torrey Pines 2013 - 2014
MIT 2014 - 2018
siramesh23
Lulu

Post by siramesh23 »

RB would like two novice teams!
Thanks!
Sathya Ramesh
Rancho Bernardo '14
ryanl
Kimahri

Post by ryanl »

Irvine is interested in sending a couple of novice teams
more specifics when we can confirm it
Ryan Leou
Irvine High School '14
Eddie
Rikku

Post by Eddie »

Division I: combined.

Division II: prelims. playoffs. combined.

Division I order of finish:
1. Arcadia B+
2. La Jolla
3. Arcadia C
4. Del Norte A

Division II order of finish:
1. Arcadia
2. Torrey Pines C
3. San Dieguito A
4. Canyon Crest A

SoCalQuizbowl.org write-up.
Eddie
he/him/his/hine
UCSD, UCLA
Mewto55555
Tidus

Post by Mewto55555 »

Hopefully everyone enjoyed the set! Please remember not to publicly discuss any specifics, as there are still other mirrors yet-to-happen. A private discussion forum has been set up; to join it, go to user control panel (at top left of this page) --> usergroups (one of the tabs) --> toggle "LIST III discussion" and press join selected.
Max
formerly of Ladue, Chicago