Why are there different difficulties?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Dirty Water
Lulu

Why are there different difficulties?

Post by Dirty Water »

Why are there different difficulties to questions(middle school, high school, college, etc.)?

It seems to me that as long as the playing field is of one age group, any difficulty of questions could be used to determine the better and worse teams.
Yes, there will be harder answerlines on more difficult sets, but that should not affect the overall rankings, as everyone is playing the same set- in fact, it would be better at sorting out the best of the best teams.
An example here would be Kealing Middle, which hasn't won all year a tournament run on a NAQT MS set, while they regularly won against other middle schools on IS sets. In the end they won 2nd at MSNCT.

So I guess my main point would be: why not use one universal difficulty for all questions, then just regulate the field to a specific age group?

EDIT: This is just a hypothetical question. I'm not calling for any change in the current difficulties.
Last edited by Dirty Water on Wed May 08, 2013 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Song

Princeton '21
Bergen County Academies '17
Ben Franklin MS, Ridgewood HS 2011-13
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Re: Why are there different difficulties?

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

KoreanTacos wrote:So I guess my main point would be: why not use one universal difficulty for all questions, then just regulate the field to a specific age group?
At the very least, the game doesn't scale infinitely, in many ways. Winning a game 30 to 20 on a set too hard for the field is not the same as winning 280 to 270 on a set more appropriate to the field, or 600 to 105 on a set that is completely too easy for the field but buzzer races on the first one or two clues are the entirety of the game. It's about the increased resolution that appropriately difficult questions give in discriminating knowledge.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

Also, and this is a bit of a different type of answer than I think you were wanting, is that there are things that are simply not acceptable to be asked about in certain types of packets. There is no way you could legitimately ask about certain more adult topics in a middle school set without a huge outcry from a lot of parents and administrators.
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Middle school teacher, Rohan Woods School
====
South Callaway '08 -- Mizzou '12 -- Illinois '17
SCMS coach '12-'13 -- EFIP coach '20-'21 -- RWS coach '22-present
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

KoreanTacos wrote:
An example here would be Kealing Middle, which hasn't won PLAYED all year a tournament run on a NAQT MS set,
FYP
while they regularly won against other middle schools on IS sets. In the end they won 2nd at MSNCT.
I don't get it. Are you saying that playing on middle school questions somehow robbed them of the chance to win a middle school national championship for the 3rd year in a row? The fact is, this year, they ran into 3 different teams that were able to outscore them over an 18 minute match. They finished third in PPB and PP20TH. I don't see how using more difficult questions would've made the result any more valid. My team practices on high school packets, too, after all; we just don't have any tournaments where we can play on them.
From a more global perspective, yeah, Eric is right; who'd want to spend $500 plus travel on a tournament where half the field may be hard-pressed to break 100? On that note, an NAQT official did relate that they thought they had ramped up the difficulty on this year's MSNCT, but, given the scoring totals, they wonder if they may not have gone far enough.
EDIT: Oh, and 100% of what Alex said...
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

People of different education levels are expected to know different things. Asking questions appropriate to one's education level evens the playing field and ensures that questions are answered for teams at all ends of the spectrum.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

I think that this idea of having a universal difficulty would only work if the answerlines were kept as easy as possible, otherwise there is a good chance that many matches would end 0-0 at lower levels. And that restriction makes it nigh-impossible to write, because otherwise, yes, it will degenerate into buzzer races for upper-level teams.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
Corry
Rikku

Post by Corry »

The way I see it, a universal difficulty isn't practical because most teams around the nation (outside maybe the top 50-100) play quiz bowl for the sole reason that it's fun. Sure, the tournament standings would be the same with a universal difficulty, but the game itself won't be nearly as enjoyable.

If such a universal difficulty errs on the hard side, for instance, every game between middle school teams would end with a score of 50-60. On the other hand, if such a universal difficulty errs on the easy side, every game between college teams would be a first-line buzzer race.
Corry Wang
Arcadia High School 2013
Amherst College 2017
NAQT Writer and Subject Editor
Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant
Yuna

Post by Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant »

Having everyone play on the same difficulty would be like using a yardstick regardless of how short or long the length you're measuring is. You would only get good results for the group the packet difficulty is appropriate for. Would you use a yardstick to measure the thickness of a sheet of paper or the height of a mountain?

Or, for a similar but maybe less familiar example, it's like using only carbon-14 to date a specimen, even if that specimen is 50 or 50 billion years old. It's only good for a certain range of dates, just like quizbowl difficulties are only good for a certain range of player/team skill levels. Outside of the appropriate date range, you get erratic results, despite what creationists may tell you.
Farrah Bilimoria
Formerly of Georgia Tech and Central High School (Macon)
Dirty Water
Lulu

Post by Dirty Water »

the return of AHAN wrote:
KoreanTacos wrote:
An example here would be Kealing Middle, which hasn't won PLAYED all year a tournament run on a NAQT MS set,
FYP
http://naqt.com/stats/school-results.jsp?org_id=68933
FYP
while they regularly won against other middle schools on IS sets. In the end they won 2nd at MSNCT.
I don't get it. Are you saying that playing on middle school questions somehow robbed them of the chance to win a middle school national championship for the 3rd year in a row? The fact is, this year, they ran into 3 different teams that were able to outscore them over an 18 minute match. They finished third in PPB and PP20TH. I don't see how using more difficult questions would've made the result any more valid. My team practices on high school packets, too, after all; we just don't have any tournaments where we can play on them.
I'm not saying that Kealing is an invincible team, only that they're among the top in the nation. Nor am I discrediting your win- I saw both finals, and I completely admire your team; it was clearly the strongest at the tournament.
My only point was that Kealing seemed to perform better on sets of harder difficulty rather than easier ones.
David Song

Princeton '21
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

David, what difficulty should everything be played at? Would you like us to run ACF Nationals packets for you every Saturday?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Dirty Water
Lulu

Post by Dirty Water »

As I said in my edit, my question was a purely hypothetical one. And no, I would do fine without weekly ACF Nationals.
David Song

Princeton '21
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

OK, well then doesn't that undermine your entire point?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Dirty Water
Lulu

Post by Dirty Water »

That would depend on your interpretation of my original point.
David Song

Princeton '21
High Dependency Unit
Yuna

Post by High Dependency Unit »

Your point is interesting. Although it could hypothetically work, tossups would have to be extremely long and there would be quite a restriction on answer lines. I'm surprised nobody mentioned bonuses. You really couldn't write those at all this way without teams with the same school level (ms, hs, college) more or less getting similar scores on bonuses.
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle '13,
Darien (co-captain) '17,
Bowdoin College (club president) '21
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

KoreanTacos wrote:
the return of AHAN wrote:
KoreanTacos wrote:
FYP
http://naqt.com/stats/school-results.jsp?org_id=68933
FYP
I'm not saying that Kealing is an invincible team, only that they're among the top in the nation. Nor am I discrediting your win- I saw both finals, and I completely admire your team; it was clearly the strongest at the tournament.
My only point was that Kealing seemed to perform better on sets of harder difficulty rather than easier ones.
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough when fixing your post. By Kealing, I meant Kealing A, and by Kealing A, I meant Graham, Ujwal, Ezra, and Avani.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

do you realize that middle schoolers shouldn't be expected to know about the complement system and ntozake shange?
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
High Dependency Unit
Yuna

I think I'm proving your point by asking what those are.
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle '13,
Darien (co-captain) '17,
Couch's Kingbird
Rikku

Post by Couch's Kingbird »

Martha Dreyer wrote:do you realize that middle schoolers shouldn't be expected to know about the complement system and ntozake shange?

The different topics that come up in different difficulties is probably a reason why there are difficulties such as hs and ms in the first place; each difficulty is tailored to the topics that players (of each difficulty) are expected to know.
Julia Tong
Darien 2014-2018; Co-Captain 2015-2018
Barnard 2018-2022 (VP Columbia Quiz Bowl)
Member of the Connecticut Quiz Bowl Alliance: ctquizbowl.org
Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Post by Sniper, No Sniping! »

Why are there so many middle schoolers commenting on question difficulty?
Thomas Moore
Lancaster Fisher Catholic HS c/o 2014
Ohio Wesleyan University c/o 2018
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Why Are There So Many X Commenting On Y: The Hsquizbowl Story: The Movie
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Dirty Water
Lulu

Post by Dirty Water »

Mr. Scogan wrote:Why are there so many middle schoolers commenting on question difficulty?
I don't know about the others, and I'm not saying I'm an expert on question difficulty either, but having played on both the high school and middle school circuit simultaneously for two years, I think I have a good grasp on difficulty.
David Song

Princeton '21
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

If you think you have a good grasp on difficulty, you don't.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Beevor Feevor
Rikku

Post by Beevor Feevor »

Yeah, although the high school circuit might not seem THAT far removed from the MS circuit, the college circuit has questions on people in disciplines that most middle school teams might not even know exist. Imagine middle schoolers trying to answer questions on Herbert Marcuse or college kids regulated to endless Pride and Prejudice tossups because middle schoolers wouldn't be able to answer anything else.
Eric Xu
Western Albemarle '15
Virginia '19
Harvard '23
High Dependency Unit
Yuna

I've played on an IS set, and I can say although some answerlines are shared, there are alot that are completely inappropriate for Middle Schoolers, even at MSNCT (unless it's a hard bonus part).
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle '13,
Darien (co-captain) '17,
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

This thread where a bunch of people yell at a middle schooler has long outlived its usefulness.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org