HSQBRank 2012-2013: No, I do not mean HSA Bank

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Euler's Constant
Lulu

Re: HSQBRank 2012-2013: No, I do not mean HSA Bank

Post by Euler's Constant »

Grams's Go-Go Boots wrote:
Ben Dillon wrote:Rotary Indiana Championship
http://www.naqt.com/stats/tournament-te ... nt_id=4573
No usable PPB. Do you have a top secret SQBS file?
A report with PPB existed at the time of the tournament. I don't know what Mr. Blessman did with it, but he would be the one to ask.
Nicholas Wawrykow
Saint Joseph('s) High School (IN) '13
Yale '17
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Euler's Constant wrote:
Ben Dillon wrote:Rotary Indiana Championship
http://www.naqt.com/stats/tournament-te ... nt_id=4573
No usable PPB. Do you have a top secret SQBS file?
A report with PPB existed at the time of the tournament. I don't know what Mr. Blessman did with it, but he would be the one to ask.
The SQBS report is attached. NAQT's results website doesn't yet support showing accurate PPB for tournaments that used lightning rounds (or bouncebacks).
Attachments
2013-indiana-rotary.sqbs
(34.15 KiB) Downloaded 238 times
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Another request for help: did actual, honest-to-goodness Bellarmine B ever play a tournament this year? I don't mean "Bellarmine without Sameer," I mean "the second team to represent Bellarmine after Bellarmine A is laid out at full strength."
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Grams's Go-Go Boots wrote:Another request for help: did actual, honest-to-goodness Bellarmine B ever play a tournament this year? I don't mean "Bellarmine without Sameer," I mean "the second team to represent Bellarmine after Bellarmine A is laid out at full strength."
Very much roster anarchy, but I believe this team is a fair assessment of Bellarmine B's strength.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Windmill Tump
Wakka

Post by Windmill Tump »

I don't see the Michigan LIST Mirror, I think.
Sid Dogra
Detroit Country Day School '13
Michigan '17
NYU '21
dollmi
Lulu

Post by dollmi »

I don't know if there were enough rounds for it to be considered, but the stats for the Lancaster Lebanon League Championship (named the 2013 Anne Clouser Memorial Tournament) are available on our website at: http://www.mtquizbowl.net/2013LLLeague/ ... dings.html. They are posted on NAQT's site with a combination of the championship and the regular season together, creating ppb over 100. (http://www.naqt.com/stats/tournament-te ... nt_id=4569)
Missy Doll-Osterhout
Coach, Manheim Township High School
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

I don't see the following on Fred's list:
Niles West BDAT
IHSSBCA Turnabout at Carterville
IHSSBCA Turnabout at Champaign Centennial
IHSSBCA Turnabout at Fenton
IHSSBCA Turnabout at Geneseo
IHSSBCA Turnabout at Greenville
Greenville Comet (HSAPQ)

Though the Turnabouts don't invite the best teams, they are varsity and really aren't any different than a Standard Division. They used NAQT 123A.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Eddie
Rikku

Post by Eddie »

Also, there were these two varsity tournaments that used IS-A sets in Southern California.
Warhawk Invitational [IS-117A]
Sweetwater Union District Tournament [IS-121A]
Eddie
he/him/his/hine
UCSD, UCLA
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Which HSAPQ set was used at the Greenville Comet one?

Edit: This was clarified to Tourney 33.
Last edited by AKKOLADE on Thu May 02, 2013 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

dollmi wrote:I don't know if there were enough rounds for it to be considered, but the stats for the Lancaster Lebanon League Championship (named the 2013 Anne Clouser Memorial Tournament) are available on our website at: http://www.mtquizbowl.net/2013LLLeague/ ... dings.html. They are posted on NAQT's site with a combination of the championship and the regular season together, creating ppb over 100. (http://www.naqt.com/stats/tournament-te ... nt_id=4569)
I'll be able to use the data from the teams with at least four games played here, I think.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

RountreeCHS wrote:Perhaps I just don't see it, Fred: CATT VIII.
Are bouncebacks left in for the PPB calculations?
To answer my own question: yes, the CATT ppb stats do incorporate bounce backs into them, so I need to delete those, remove any teams depending on those stats from my preliminary rankings, and then recalculate the adjustment for the CATT without that junk data.

Which reminds me: can areas that use bounce backs actually track those numbers properly in SQBS? There are options to do so and they're easy. It would also save me a few hours of work a year.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

The final set of rankings will be published tomorrow at 11 a.m. eastern. It will be the top 100 teams. I'll try to send some emails out before then, so if some info leaks, so be it; it's not like I make any money off this.

Info from Masonics won't be incorporated, because then I'd have to try to come up with a new adjustment involving possibly hundreds of data point, and I wanted to get this out before I take a short trip next week. I'll try to incorporate them into the final update; I have a feeling it won't make a major difference, but you never know.
Fred Morlan
Rountree
Rikku

Post by Rountree »

Grams's Go-Go Boots wrote:To answer my own question: yes, the CATT ppb stats do incorporate bounce backs into them, so I need to delete those, remove any teams depending on those stats from my preliminary rankings, and then recalculate the adjustment for the CATT without that junk data.
Sorry, I just now got around to posting the answer which you clearly already have. My bad.
Grams's Go-Go Boots wrote:Which reminds me: can areas that use bounce backs actually track those numbers properly in SQBS? There are options to do so and they're easy. It would also save me a few hours of work a year.
We should be able to do this next year. Thanks again, Fred.
Elliott Rountree
Lambert Coach, 2017-present
Buford Coach, 2014-2015
Chattahoochee Coach, 2004-2014
GATA, 2018-present; 2007-2014
ACE, 2000-2013
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

After 30 hours of work this week alone, the rankings are done and will be automatically published tomorrow at 11 a.m. ET. Best of luck at nationals, every one.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

The rankings are up. I've also sent out emails to all the teams I could find contact info for ahead of the rankings; if anyone needs a copy of the email for "support us!" purposes or whatever, let me know and I can send it to you. (I also rather delightfully forgot about half a sentence in the first 40 or so I sent out; if you received one last night or very early this morning and would like to show off an email that contains complete thoughts, let me know and I can resend it)
Fred Morlan
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

Fred Morlan, you are the best.

Signed,

Everyone (Well, really just me, because I didn't actually talk to anyone else before posting, but I think most people would agree).
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
University of Notre Dame '11
Texas A&M '15
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Looking at the fields for the major nationals, HSNCT has all of the top 33 teams and 47 of the top 50 signed up. NSC has 27 of the top 50 (with four others on the waitlist) and 45 of the top 100. The highest ranked team not attending either national is #45 NCSSM.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

evilmonkey wrote:Fred Morlan, you are the best.

Signed,

Everyone (Well, really just me, because I didn't actually talk to anyone else before posting, but I think most people would agree).
I appreciate your saying that.

I'm on a short trip out of town right now, so expect me to be a bit delayed in responding to emails. I've got about 30 or so notes thanking me for doing this, and I appreciate them all. I do intend to respond to them all when I can.

Just felt like doing this real quick: # of teams by state/district(/hypothetical province, though this didn't happen this year)

12: California
9: New Jersey
8: Illinois, Texas, Virginia
7: Ohio
6: Georgia, Kentucky
5: Maryland, North Carolina
4: Michigan, New York
3: Pennsylvania, Tennessee
2: Indiana, Missouri, South Carolina
1: Arizona, DC, Delaware, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Hampshire
Last edited by AKKOLADE on Tue May 07, 2013 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fred Morlan
Tanay
Rikku

Post by Tanay »

evilmonkey wrote:12: California
It should be noted that an outstanding 10 of these 12 teams are from Southern California, a reflection of the tremendous work put in by Chris, Dwight, and others. We still have work to do in Northern California.
Tanay
ex-Berkeley, ex-Bellarmine
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

And not that it's of terrible importance, but last Friday we broke our single day views record by going over 1500.
Fred Morlan
Northern Central Railway
Wakka

Post by Northern Central Railway »

evilmonkey wrote:Fred Morlan, you are the best.

Signed,

I appreciate your saying that.

I'm on a short trip out of town right now, so expect me to be a bit delayed in responding to emails. I've got about 30 or so notes thanking me for doing this, and I appreciate them all. I do intend to respond to them all when I can.

Just felt like doing this real quick: # of teams by state/district(/hypothetical province, though this didn't happen this year)

12: California
8: Illinois, New Jersey, Texas, Virginia
7: Ohio
6: Georgia, Kentucky
5: Maryland, North Carolina
4: Michigan, New York
3: Pennsylvania, Tennessee
2: Indiana, Missouri, South Carolina
1: Arizona, DC, Delaware, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Hampshire
I count 9 teams from NJ - High Tech 3x, St. Joseph's, Ridgewood, Mountain Lakes, Livingston, Bergen County, and Millburn.
Andrew Ibendahl
Nashville (IL) '04
DePauw '08
Former Coach, Mountain Lakes (NJ)
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

That's correct. Sorry!
Fred Morlan
Emil Nolde
Wakka

Post by Emil Nolde »

I feel like there should be some way of weighting that according to average ranking of teams from that state (in the top 100). as it stands, people might look at those numbers and think MO quizbowl has no strong competitors and/or if the realize Ladue is #1, they'll assume it's due to lying in an uncompetitive region, neither of which, of course, is even close to right.
James Zetterman
Carbondale Community High School '15
SIU Carbondale '19 or thereabouts

Keep your expectations low.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I'm not going to make a ranking system for my ranking system.
Fred Morlan
Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Post by Sniper, No Sniping! »

Grams's Go-Go Boots wrote:I'm not going to make a ranking system for my ranking system.
Yo dawg, I heard you like ranking systems...
Thomas Moore
Lancaster Fisher Catholic HS c/o 2014
Ohio Wesleyan University c/o 2018
Eddie
Rikku

Post by Eddie »

The ranking uses PPB, so it should be irrelevant of whether or not there's tough competition in an area.
Eddie
he/him/his/hine
UCSD, UCLA
Jason Cheng
Rikku

Post by Jason Cheng »

thyringe_supine wrote:Ladue is #1, they'll assume it's due to lying in an uncompetitive region, neither of which, of course, is even close to right.
I think the inherent nature of a national ranking (or at least the apparent one of anyone who reads the About section) is enough to inform people that your hypothetical is not the case.
kibinai wrote:The ranking uses PPB, so it should be irrelevant of whether or not there's tough competition in an area.
While Carbondale A is in a state full of high-level competition, Eddie is right and the reliance on PPB theoretically makes your terrifying opponents irrelevant in your placement on the Morlan Rankings. At any rate, your solution sounds like a lot of work for a problem that doesn't immediately exist. A much easier solution would be to just publish quick ephemeral information such as the # of teams by state in the top 100 that already exists. It achieves the same result in minutes, rather than days.
Jason Cheng
Arcadia High School 2013
UCSD 2017
Emil Nolde
Wakka

Post by Emil Nolde »

Grams's Go-Go Boots wrote:I'm not going to make a ranking system for my ranking system.
Well, you already did, pretty much.

I'm just saying that if those are the only numbers people look at, then they aren't seeing the whole picture.
James Zetterman
Carbondale Community High School '15
SIU Carbondale '19 or thereabouts

Keep your expectations low.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

No, I counted the number of teams from each state in my rankings. That's not a ranking of the strength of the teams in that state; it's counting. Literally. If you don't understand the difference, I don't know what to tell you.

Also, if people somehow go to the thread, ignore everything else in the three pages of it, somehow come upon this page, and then declare that Ohio has scientifically been proven the fifth best state at high school quiz bowl, then we've all entered some alternate universe where a bunch of really dumb things happen that I don't feel like making up for the desired comedic effect I'm implying here.
Fred Morlan
Eddie
Rikku

Post by Eddie »

So both this page and this page list 2012-2013 stat adjustments and share sets in common, but all the numbers are different. I'm guessing the March one is an updated version that takes into account more recent stats?
Eddie
he/him/his/hine
UCSD, UCLA
njsbling
Rikku

Post by njsbling »

Tanay wrote:
evilmonkey wrote:12: California
It should be noted that an outstanding 10 of these 12 teams are from Southern California, a reflection of the tremendous work put in by Chris, Dwight, and others. We still have work to do in Northern California.
I hope that some combination of Amador Valley/Foothill/Mira Loma/Menlo will make this list next year. I feel that several NorCal teams (such as Harker, Crystal Springs, and Menlo) could have been on this list if they had played more events this year.
Nicholas Karas
Atlanta, Georgia
Member, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
californiacupquizbowl (at) gmail (dot) com
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

With all non-nationals tournaments done that are going to give stats that I can use, look for a final update sometime before HSNCT.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I plan on having a preview up by 1 p.m. ET tomorrow.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Fred Morlan
Mewto55555
Tidus

Post by Mewto55555 »

Thanks, Fred, for all your work on these, this and every other year.
Max
formerly of Ladue, Chicago
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Thanks, Max.

I hope to do some stat studying this summer, but we'll see how that goes. I also anticipate that next season's updates will be as slow, if not slower, than this year's. I hope that automation is a possibility, but I'll explore that in the near future.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I tried predicting the 8-2 & 9-1 teams here.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Fred Morlan