Louisiana 2013-2014

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Mnemosyne
Wakka

Louisiana 2013-2014

Post by Mnemosyne »

The Louisiana circuit is still a work in progress, but we (GCQBA) are definitely starting to get a foundation built. Chris Romero has joined in, running the NAQT state championship last year and helping with some tournaments this year. Chris helped us out with a website change. We can now be found at http://www.louisianaquizbowl.org. Most of the action right now is centered on New Orleans, which is natural because of the main promoters of Louisiana Quiz Bowl are Ryan McLaren of Tulane and Kevin Marshall of Chapelle High School. After flopping last year, I shouldn't have much logistical trouble starting a team at Louisiana Tech when school starts in a few weeks. Hopefully I can get some players and form an active team, hosting something this year.

The Louisiana fall schedule looks something like this:

9/14 Middle school tournament at Chapelle High School
9/28 High school tournament at Tulane (likely A-set)
10/12 or 10/19 High school tournament at Chapelle High School (like A-set)
11/16 High school tournament at Lusher High School (hopefully pyramidal, maybe an IS set)

All 4 tournaments are in the New Orleans area.

Since there isn't a Mississippi thread, I'll also mention (according to NAQT's site) the Mustang Invitational being run in Jackson, MS on 11/16. That's very close to some North Louisiana schools, so maybe some could make it there.

For team discussion, Louisiana's perennial strongest team is Jesuit. At the NAQT State championship on an IS set, they averaged 440 ppg with one player averaging over 100 ppg. (Stats: http://www.louisianaquizbowl.org/d/@130511NAQTState/) Lusher Charter also has a strong team, and they even sent 2 students to Texas Quiz Bowl Camp a few weeks ago. Hopefully both teams will travel to some tougher tournaments and maybe make a non-NAC nationals appearance.
Nick Collins
C. E. Byrd '12 (Shreveport, LA)
Louisiana Tech '16, '17
University of Virginia
Joshua Rutsky
Tidus

Re: Louisiana 2013-2014

Post by Joshua Rutsky »

All interested Louisiana squads are encouraged to come to the Hoover Invitational on October 12, 2013. This event will be using IS-128 for Varsity, and SCOP 2013 for JV and Novice groups. We offer discounts for teams traveling a long distance, including two-for-one registration deals, and have JV, Varsity, and Novice brackets and a guarantee of 7 rounds of play to help make the trip worthwhile. Please contact me at jrutsky at hoover.k12.al.us for registration details or see our thread in the Regular Season Tournament announcements for more information.
Joshua Rutsky
VP for Curriculum and Camp Operations, Qwiz
ASCA Board Member
Hoover High School Coach (Retired)
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

NHBB's Louisiana state tournament will once again be at Zachary High School near Baton Rouge on Feb. 15. We'll also have a Northern Louisiana tournament (likely a bit earlier in the year) as well.
Last edited by Great Bustard on Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
Kevin
Wakka

Post by Kevin »

Looks like it'll be Jesuit and Lusher neck and neck this year. Ben Franklin seems to have fallen off a little bit.
Kevin Marshall
Coach, Mount Carmel Academy, New Orleans, LA (2014-present)
Coach, Chapelle HS, Metairie, LA (2011-2014)
player and/or secretary and/or captain, Tulane Quiz Bowl (2007-2009)
mhayes
Rikku

Post by mhayes »

Kevin wrote:Looks like it'll be Jesuit and Lusher neck and neck this year. Ben Franklin seems to have fallen off a little bit.
I was very impressed with Jesuit at Tulane's tournament. It's tragic that they don't play in real national tournaments.
Matt Hayes

Unaffiliated
TulaneKQB
Wakka

Post by TulaneKQB »

I've been leaning on them and some other schools to at least consider HSNCT, but it's difficult to know if they take any of that seriously or if we're just whistling in the dark thinking that they'll do anything other than NAC.

Edit: Especially when the New Orleans-area NAC is Memorial Day weekend, and I doubt that the local teams that will be here for that tournament will be enthusiastic about flying to Chicago four days later.
Ryan McLaren
President, Tulane University Krewe of Quiz Bowl (2009-12)
Member, Louisiana Quiz Bowl (http://www.louisianaquizbowl.org/)
Tulane University Law School '15
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

NHBB's Louisiana States has been pushed back a week to Feb. 15 as per a request from our hosts at Zachary. That will be on B set. Our Northern Louisiana tournament on C set will be two weeks later on 3/1 on the campus of Northwestern State University in Natchitoches. Full details at http://www.historybowl.com (click on the dots as usual on the map). Louisiana teams are of course welcome to compete in other states, including our inaugural Mississippi tournament at Madison Central on Jan. 25 (also on C set).
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

St. Mary's High School (Natchitoches, LA) Tournament was held on Saturday, January 11. 32 teams from the state competed in a prelim/playoff format. Results below

1. Dutchtown HS
2. River Oaks Academy (Monroe)
3. Caddo Magnet HS (Shreveport)
J.R. Barry
Retired teacher and former coach
TulaneKQB
Wakka

Post by TulaneKQB »

Dutchtown's tournament happened.

(1) Jesuit
(2) Dutchtown A
(3) Ben Franklin

There isn't a lot on the schedule for Louisiana other than the various NHBBs and NAQT State at Tulane on March 29th. There are non-Mardi Gras dates available, in case a school wants to claim a date for a tournament this semester.

Edit: I wanted to add that, because they were shorthanded, Jesuit was forced to scrap their usual strategy of dividing their two best players (Kevin and Anthony) to different teams based on grade-level. Even with Kevin and Anthony playing together, Dutchtown gave them some trouble in the championship round. A very impressive day for Dutchtown (who also beat Ben Franklin twice).
Ryan McLaren
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Will there be stats for that?

I'm not sure about geography, but is it possible they could attend tournaments in Texas or even Alabama? Would anyone be willing to make the trip up to Kentucky?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Out of curiosity, which question sets were used at the St. Mary's and Dutchtown events?
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
TulaneKQB
Wakka

Post by TulaneKQB »

We had some trouble with the stats at the end of the day because the school computer we were using decided to delete some of the files. A person from the Tulane team is putting them back in, so they should be available soon (although one of the rounds that we weren't able to recover might be missing).

One of the problems that I've encountered is that some/most of the Louisiana teams really only care about what's going on in Louisiana, and don't have any interest in whatever might be happening in Texas or Alabama. We'll say something along the lines of "there are some really good tournaments out there that you guys never play! and all you have to do is drive to ______! you're really missing out!" and they usually just shrug it off. I think the issue is that a tournament in Texas or Alabama is almost necessarily an overnight trip, which as far as I can tell none of these schools ever do. So it's easier for the coaches to write off what we say as farfetched, and then focus on whatever local LAAC tournament may or may not be happening near them (LAAC is apparently pretty bad about telling coaches where and when tournaments are scheduled).

Matt: I have no idea what set was used at St. Mary's. Dutchtown used IS-130.
Ryan McLaren
Mnemosyne
Wakka

Post by Mnemosyne »

The St. Mary's tournament is run every year by the guy in charge of the LAAC. So yeah, nothing there.
Nick Collins
Louisiana Tech '16, '17
University of Virginia
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

Mike Landry coach at St Mary's HS in Natchitoches wrote the questions for their tournament back on January 11. Mike is a good guy and does his best to promote quizbowl in his part of the state of Louisiana.

The Tulane College Bowl players who came and helped with our tournament at Dutchtown HS last Saturday were/are awesome. Thanks, Ryan et al.
J.R. Barry
Retired teacher and former coach
Mnemosyne
Wakka

Post by Mnemosyne »

Louisiana Tech Winter Tournament (SCOP mirror) just happened. First tournament I've hosted. It was generally successful. Worst problem was teams being late from lunch.

1) Caddo Magnet (23 PPB) 8-0
2) River Oaks 6-2
3) West Monroe 5-2

I don't see any reason Caddo can't compete with Jesuit at State. I told them they should go and they said they have to convince their coach.

Stats: http://www.louisianaquizbowl.org/wp-con ... dings.html
Nick Collins
Louisiana Tech '16, '17
University of Virginia