Collegiate Novice at UWaterloo (10/5)

Old college threads.
Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer
Rikku

Collegiate Novice at UWaterloo (10/5)

Post by Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer »

The University of Waterloo (Ontario, Canada) is pleased to announce it will be hosting a mirror of the Collegiate Novice tournament on SATURDAY, OCTOBER 5TH, 2013.

In order to register, please contact Aayush Rajasekaran (arajasek94 (at) gmail (dot) com). Registration will begin at 9:30AM in MC 4058 and the competition will begin at 10AM. We will have a lunch break and hope to finish around 4:30PM.

Entry Fees / Discounts:
$15 base fee per person
-$5 per team for a working buzzer system
-$5 per team if your college played zero events in the 2012-2013 school year
-$5 per team per 75 miles traveled (one way)
Note that per-team discounts will be awarded to a single player and can be shared between the team as seen fit.

Eligibility Rules:
1. All ACF eligibility rules apply, except when they contradict the rules below.
2. This is a tournament for introducing collegiate novices to quizbowl. Consequently, no high school teams or players are eligible.
3. Anyone (who does not break Rules 1 or 2) who has never played quizbowl before is automatically eligible. Other academic competition does not count as quizbowl for this rule.
4. Players meeting one or more of the following criteria must apply to the head editor for special permission to play:
i. If you have already completed your second year of college (calculated from time in college, not credits). Time in a post-secondary high school program does not count.
ii. If you were ever on a playoff or top-bracket team at NAQT HSNCT or PACE NSC.
iii. If you have ever scored at least 30 points per game at any college tournament.
iv. If you have ever won any college tournament.
5. Anyone who does not fall into any of the four categories listed in Rule 4 is automatically eligible to play.

Procedure for applying for special permission to play: 1) Email Andrew Hart at hartam (at) gmail (dot) com; 2) state which of the Rule 4 points would render you otherwise ineligible; 3) list when and how you came to achieve any of the accomplishments that lead to your being otherwise ineligible; 4) state succinctly why you want to play.

We look forward to a successful tournament and invite all inquiries to be addressed to arajasek94 (at) gmail (dot) com.

Registered Teams :

York
McMaster A
McMaster B
Toronto
Western A (tentative)
Western B (tentative)
Waterloo A
Waterloo B
Waterloo C
Waterloo D

----------------------------

A note to any and all people who might be coming down to staff at this event:

As a thank you to any readers who may drive down, we are planning to play some scrimmage QuizBowl after the main event ends. This will involve some intense guerrilla QuizBowl of any packets we can find that have not already been read / played by a substantial number of people. Additionally, you might be treated to some stellar trash written by Aaron Dos Remedios and Cam MacInnis (and if you’re unlucky, me).

So feel free to come down to cheery Waterloo (if only for the post-event attractions). Also, if you are coming down, I would advise against reading any of the summer tournaments that may be posted to the archives soon (specifically Tricon, but also events like CAHOOTS, Geo Monstrosity, etc.).
Last edited by Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer on Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:15 am, edited 5 times in total.
Aayush Rajasekaran (he/him or she/her)
University of Waterloo, 2016
University of Waterloo, 2018
Rikku

Re: Collegiate Novice at UWaterloo (9/28)

Due to requests from multiple universities, this tournament has now been pushed back a week to Saturday, October 5th, 2013 in order to accommodate more teams.

We apologize for the change and regret if this causes any inconvenience.
Tale of Mac Datho's Pachycephalosaur
Wakka

Post by Tale of Mac Datho's Pachycephalosaur »

odin_envy_me wrote:Due to requests from multiple universities, this tournament has now been pushed back a week to Saturday, October 5th, 2013 in order to accommodate more teams.

Guys, this is sort of irksome. Although it was only announced on these forums a few hours before your date was changed, Buffalo's mirror of MFT was scheduled for 5 Oct, and has been for quite some time. In particular, it should be noted that the region's "unofficial" schedule has reflected our intent to host on 5 Oct since the middle of June (Aayush, you were added as a contributor around that time, too). We chose the date in order to accommodate Canadian teams (since the 12th is, I believe, Thanksgiving weekend for you folks). While I understand that many Canadian teams will choose to attend the later mirror in Ottawa (which--I will add--was both scheduled later, and on a date Buffalo is hosting a high school tournament, so we couldn't attend if we wanted to), it's decidedly not awesome to co-opt an already-claimed date.

I will also briefly express my displeasure that the editing team chose to allow an Ottawa site in the first place, given the strong overlap between teams, although this region is in the unenviable situation of straddling the border, so it's less irritating, since some people can't cross borders. But nevertheless, and even given those facts, I thought most people were aware of these plans many months ago! It's a little boggling that after what felt like a good bit of effort on Buffalo's part to responsibly manage our commitments, we first hear about a region-overlapping tournament, and then we get our date taken!

Sorry if I'm coming across like a grumpy person, but this should not have been a problem!
Zach Pace
Clarence High School '10, University at Buffalo '14
Writer, NAQT; Reader, NY MasterMinds
Space Advocate, Amateur Astronomer, and Occasional STEM Pundit
You don't want me anywhere near literature that's not sci-fi or written in Latin. Seriously.
Rikku

Tale of Mac Datho's Pachycephalosaur wrote:
odin_envy_me wrote:Due to requests from multiple universities, this tournament has now been pushed back a week to Saturday, October 5th, 2013 in order to accommodate more teams.

Guys, this is sort of irksome. Although it was only announced on these forums a few hours before your date was changed, Buffalo's mirror of MFT was scheduled for 5 Oct, and has been for quite some time. In particular, it should be noted that the region's "unofficial" schedule has reflected our intent to host on 5 Oct since the middle of June (Aayush, you were added as a contributor around that time, too). We chose the date in order to accommodate Canadian teams (since the 12th is, I believe, Thanksgiving weekend for you folks). While I understand that many Canadian teams will choose to attend the later mirror in Ottawa (which--I will add--was both scheduled later, and on a date Buffalo is hosting a high school tournament, so we couldn't attend if we wanted to), it's decidedly not awesome to co-opt an already-claimed date.

I will also briefly express my displeasure that the editing team chose to allow an Ottawa site in the first place, given the strong overlap between teams, although this region is in the unenviable situation of straddling the border, so it's less irritating, since some people can't cross borders. But nevertheless, and even given those facts, I thought most people were aware of these plans many months ago! It's a little boggling that after what felt like a good bit of effort on Buffalo's part to responsibly manage our commitments, we first hear about a region-overlapping tournament, and then we get our date taken!

Sorry if I'm coming across like a grumpy person, but this should not have been a problem!
At the very outset, let me apologize for what is definitely an error on our part. I quite forgot about the unofficial schedule since my addition to it in the first week of May, and hence was not aware that Buffalo was hosting a mirror of MFT at all until yesterday when I noticed the HSQB announcement. This is, of course, no one's fault but mine, and I readily admit that. If you will allow me, I'd like to go over our reasons for the rescheduling.

In addition to what I mentioned in the post above, it was brought to my attention that our University was holding its reunion on the initially scheduled date, which made it virtually impossible to reserve more than 2 rooms in the same building (or indeed, in buildings in the same part of campus). Moving it to the 12th was not an option due to Thanksgiving, and moving it up a week wasn't possible either because of issues with staffing and room-reservation again.

Essentially, we were faced with either postponing the tournament a week or cancelling it. After confirming that we could reserve rooms for 5/10, the decision was made to postpone the tournament to that date. Only when I came here to update our thread did I notice that Buffalo was hosting MFT on the same day.

I realize that none of this will help allay your concerns, but I believe the fact that our mirror is of Collegiate Novice is pertinent here. Much like you described your mirror of MFT, our event is being run largely as an intra-university competition with perhpas 2 or 3 non-house teams in attendance. The vast majority of players at this tournament have never attended a QuizBowl event before and are coming from 2 to
20 miles away. More illuminating is the fact that the same tournament (Collegiate Novice) is being hosted in Ottawa on the same day (5/10). All of this makes me suggest that our tournament should have little to no impact on yours, given that the only team that you might be "losing" due to the date-change is our own, a UWaterloo team.

And yet, as you will be unsurprised to find, we've already registered to attend the Ottawa mirror of MFT, given that it was announced first (even if it was scheduled MUCH later) and is an easier trip for us. I definitely respect your dissatisfaction with the fact that a second mirror of MFT is happening in Ottawa, as it is doubtless that there will occur an overlap in the QuizBowl-heavy Southern Ontario region. This, of course, has little to do with UWaterloo and the tournament in question here, so I shall decline to say further.

I want to finally reassure you that UWaterloo QuizBowl is sorry for this unfortunate situation and is fully mindful of tournaments being held at other universities in the region. In fact, we put in a substantial amount of work into a house-written tournament that was intended for November before ultimately postponing it indefinitely, partly because of Buffalo's mirror of DRAGOON (an event we have every intention of attending). I don't mean for that to sound as a "Look at the sacrifices we've made already!". I'm only pointing out that we do keep other universities in mind when making such decisions and I hope that you will overlook this oversight of ours. Over.
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

For what it's worth, I'd definitely be okay with Waterloo hosting on Sunday if that would allow them to attend MFT (and they actually want to attend MFT).
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Masked Canadian History Bandit
Rikku

Post by Masked Canadian History Bandit »

theMoMA wrote:For what it's worth, I'd definitely be okay with Waterloo hosting on Sunday if that would allow them to attend MFT (and they actually want to attend MFT).
Waterloo is already registered to play MFT and Penn Bowl on the 26-27 weekend.
Patrick Liao
Lisgar Collegiate Institute 2011, University of Pennsylvania 2015, University of Toronto Faculty of Law 2019
Tale of Mac Datho's Pachycephalosaur
Wakka

Post by Tale of Mac Datho's Pachycephalosaur »

There's no particular use crying over spilt milk at this point, and Aayush, I certainly appreciate your forthrightness and your contrition about the rescheduling of your EACN mirror. And I also admit some fault by Matt and I in not announcing our MFT until earlier this week--we were in different places this summer, and each thought the other already did it.

I apologize for my little rant about MFT scheduling, as it is something that should have been brought up a) to the editing team, and b) several weeks ago, when the Carleton first announced their site.

I am mostly assuaged by your reasoning, but in the future, more attention could be paid by all parties. There is, at the end of the day, little real loss to the Buffalo club--we can always run MFT as an intramural, we may yet receive registrations from Rochester, and as there is no New England site scheduled, we may in fact get a team or three from there.
Zach Pace
Clarence High School '10, University at Buffalo '14
Writer, NAQT; Reader, NY MasterMinds
Space Advocate, Amateur Astronomer, and Occasional STEM Pundit
You don't want me anywhere near literature that's not sci-fi or written in Latin. Seriously.
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

Well, speaking on behalf of McMaster (as I tend to do), we would like to enter teams for Collegiate Novice. We're probably fine with whatever date. That being said, speaking on behalf of myself, Zach, I sympathize with your plight, as I too want to attend DRAGOON, without having to pick and choose sites to be at. Hopefully this can be resolved so we can start planning how to get our novice teams out into the field, and us more 'mature' (pronounced like a Southern gentleman) quizbowlers can enjoy some non-novice shenanigans.
Jay Misuk
McMaster University, 2009, 2010, 2016
University of Toronto, 2011, 2017, 2022
MEd. (Educational Linguistics) MSc. (CogSciLing), Hon. BA (Linguistics), BA (History), BEd. (History, Geography, Music, Math, Soc. Sci, Law, Latin)

Tri-national competitor; tri-national neg champion.
To quote the ephemeral Jordan Palmer - "There is no shame, only points"
minusfive
Rikku

Post by minusfive »

Senator_Jay wrote: too want to attend DRAGOON, without having to pick and choose sites to be at.
A little bird told me you may be playing this in Alabama avec moi.
Senator_Jay wrote:'mature' (pronounced like a Southern gentleman)
Phonetics please.
Tale of Mac Datho's Pachycephalosaur wrote:b) several weeks ago, when the Carleton first announced their site.
All hail the Carleton! The classiest dance of them all.
odin_envy_me wrote:York
Seriously? Seriously awesome. Is it a full team or like, some random Lisgar alum far from home?
Jordan Palmer, Nick Penner's Hero.

Pass by, and curse thy fill, but pass and stay not here thy gait.
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

Angus Chung, Woburn '12, is at York's business school.
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
Rikku

pandabear555 wrote:Angus Chung, Woburn '12, is at York's business school.
This is, in fact, the York QuizBowl "team".
Rikku

Senator_Jay wrote:Well, speaking on behalf of McMaster (as I tend to do), we would like to enter teams for Collegiate Novice. We're probably fine with whatever date. That being said, speaking on behalf of myself, Zach, I sympathize with your plight, as I too want to attend DRAGOON, without having to pick and choose sites to be at. Hopefully this can be resolved so we can start planning how to get our novice teams out into the field, and us more 'mature' (pronounced like a Southern gentleman) quizbowlers can enjoy some non-novice shenanigans.

Do you have an update on how many teams we can expect from Mac? Also, buzzers? Thanks.
O Fortuna
Lulu

Post by O Fortuna »

odin_envy_me wrote: Do you have an update on how many teams we can expect from Mac? Also, buzzers? Thanks.
Not Jay, but one of the Mac Quizbowl presidents - we'll be sending at least two teams, possibly three (should be able to tell you by Thurs.), and will be bringing a set of buzzers.
Leslie Newcombe
McMaster University '15
Rikku

O Fortuna wrote:
odin_envy_me wrote: Do you have an update on how many teams we can expect from Mac? Also, buzzers? Thanks.
Not Jay, but one of the Mac Quizbowl presidents - we'll be sending at least two teams, possibly three (should be able to tell you by Thurs.), and will be bringing a set of buzzers.
Sounds good to us! Just so you guys know, it seems virtually inevitable at this point that we will be having some slap rooms. However, we'll do our best to work out a schedule where only house-teams are in the slap rooms.
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

If anyone happens to be going from Ottawa to Waterloo that weekend we (Lisgar) might be able to lend some computer buzzer; we have more than enough for the Carleton mirror.
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

Isn't it nice to finally have someone other than me post things on behalf of Mac? And yes, we'll be entering 2 teams, and I'll likely have to bring one of them. So imma moderate, k?
Jay Misuk
MEd. (Educational Linguistics) MSc. (CogSciLing), Hon. BA (Linguistics), BA (History), BEd. (History, Geography, Music, Math, Soc. Sci, Law, Latin)

Rikku

Senator_Jay wrote:Isn't it nice to finally have someone other than me post things on behalf of Mac? And yes, we'll be entering 2 teams, and I'll likely have to bring one of them. So imma moderate, k?
Ew, no, we don't want you moderating. Please don't show up, Jay.
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Re: Collegiate Novice at UWaterloo (10/5)

Post by Senator_Jay »

Too bad, freedom of speech. The same thing that makes us have to put up with you all the time.
Jay Misuk

Rikku

Senator_Jay wrote:Too bad, freedom of speech. The same thing that makes us have to put up with you all the time.
No, that's adoration.
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

Toronto will be sending one team and one set of buzzers. I will be there to moderate and/or heckle the TD.
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
Rikku

Some information regarding tomorrow's tournament :

The tournament will begin at 10 am SHARP. Please attempt to be in the tournament HQ of MC 4058 (4th floor of the Math and Computer science building) before 9:30am. If anyone gets lost or has other issues, I can be reached by email at arajasek94 (at) gmail (dot) com. I will be checking this regularly tomorrow. I am also sending out my phone number as well as that of my Vice-President Cam MacInnis to anyone who might need it.

As we have a total of 10 teams, the tournament will be held as a 9 round-robin, which means every team will play 9 rounds (every other team once).

We will be breaking for lunch sometime between 12 and 12:30. This will be an hour-long lunch-break where people can make a run to the Plaza. Please be back in the HQ by the announced return time.

The tournament is expected to end sometime between 4 and 4:30 following which we will felicitate the winning team and top scorers.

The difficulty of the tournament is "beginner". To get a better sense of what that means, I encourage perusing some of the previous years' questions that can be found here : http://collegiate.quizbowlpackets.com/405/

If you have any questions, feel free to send me an email and I shall get back to you at the earliest. Good luck to everyone playing tomorrow and I wish you all the very best. You never forget your first tournament :)

Looking forward to seeing you all tomorrow,
Aayush Rajasekaran
Bartleby
Rikku

Post by Bartleby »

The tournament is about to get underway. I will post updates periodically throughout the day.
Brian McNamara
Western University '13
University of Waterloo '14
Temple University '20
Bartleby
Rikku

Post by Bartleby »

We have just taken our lunch break here. Besides an unfortunate situation in which a team entered the wrong room without anyone noticing until midway through the round, things have progressed smoothly.

Toronto and McMaster B stand at the top of the heap with 5-0 records.
Brian McNamara
Western University '13
Temple University '20
Bartleby
Rikku

Post by Bartleby »

After the nine-team round robin concluded, four teams (McMaster B, Toronto, Waterloo A and Waterloo D) were tied atop the standings with a 7-2 record. We elected to break this tie by PPG and thus McMaster B and Waterloo D played off in a one game final. Waterloo D was victorious. The stats have been posted to the database, and are available here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... _final%29/
Brian McNamara
Western University '13
Temple University '20