Univ of Virginia Cavalier Classic X - Saturday 10/29

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
yangsta
Wakka

Post by yangsta »

The 10th Annual Cavalier Classic will be hosted by the University of Virginia team on Saturday, October 29th, in Charlottesville, VA.

Details will be posted within 24 hours.

This is the same date as the Vanderbilt tourney, and we will likely be sharing at least some questions.
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

Best of luck Steve. Yet again, UVA has chosen a date we cannot attend, this time our own television taping. One year, we even scheduled our tournament opposite UVA's. Anyway, I hope all goes well and vow that we'll someday make a UVA tourney.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
yangsta
Wakka

More information!

Post by yangsta »

Cavalier Classic X

Format: untimed rounds of twenty toss-ups with non-related bonuses

Each team is guaranteed at least six rounds of play, but most teams will play additional games.

The teams that perform best qualify for PACE National Championships in 2006.

Check-in 9:00 - 9:30 in Wilson Hall 301 (adjacent to Cabell Hall, on Jefferson Park Avenue). Competition will start soon after, with the preliminary rounds ending mid-afternoon.

Complimentary breakfast provided.

Official invitation
Official registration form

Pricing and other information available on the website.

Early registration discount: October 17
Registration deadline: October 25
Current cap: 32 teams

If you would like to find out more information or register teams via e-mail, please write to Steve Yang at steveyang at virginia dot edu. If you wish to register by email, please include the completed registration form (above).
Lapego1
Tidus

Post by Lapego1 »

do you know how many teams would advance to playoffs (assuming 32 team cap)?
yangsta
Wakka

Post by yangsta »

Lapego1 wrote:do you know how many teams would advance to playoffs (assuming 32 team cap)?
Assuming 32 teams, anywhere between 24 and all 32 teams would advance to some kind of post-preliminary matches. We've been trying to be a lot more inclusive with the past few tournaments, which of course is a mixed blessing. Many teams appreciate the extra action.
mborden
Kimahri

Post by mborden »

Clover Hill hopes to participate but has many conflicts. 2 A team members have to take the SAT's on that day due to a power outage at Monacan High on the original day. It is also the day of our homecoming dance and 1 of our A team members is in charge of decorations for the dance and cannot come. We'll see what happens.
NotjustoldWASPs
Wakka

Post by NotjustoldWASPs »

hey steve--

could you post a tentative schedule for the tournament...the 29th is TJ's Homecoming...and i wanna know about how late we can expect to return (approximately). I know we had a similar issue last year, and I ended up not going to your tourney, but from what I've heard, people just got back in time (this won't be too big of an issue, cuz most guys can get ready for anything in less than 15 min, but for the at least one female who is anticipating attempting both, it would be nice to know)

thanks...hopefully I'll see y'all in two weeks
Neel Kotra
WUSTL '10
NRScout98
Lulu

Post by NRScout98 »

Well, I'm not Steve, but the official estimate that I heard from him was that the tournament should be done around 4.
NotjustoldWASPs
Wakka

Thanks, Nick, but as we all know, most if not all quzbowl tournaments run over...we will be sending a few teams, and most ppl will try to come...but choices will have to be made in the next week and a half.
Neel Kotra
WUSTL '10
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

Several MLWGS players have conficts on the 29th as well. Two very key players from our A team (Mark and Xun) will be missing. Two important B team players will also be gone. Hence we will have a hybrid A team and the C team will be elevated to B team status. Alas, we will have to wait to get the much anticipated TJ-Gov matchups with the usual lineups.
NotjustoldWASPs
Wakka

Yeah...I probably will not be going...so TJ A-team will become a hybrid, as well...and it is very likely our normal B-team captain will be unable to make it, so it should be interesting...a good experience for many of the new freshman, I think. I do hope to play gov (the full team) sometime...they looked very good at our tournament. I look forward to it.
Neel Kotra
WUSTL '10
yangsta
Wakka

Post by yangsta »

Hey guys,

Sorry for not responding sooner.

I'm sorry about the... many conflicts that seem to plague this date. But as we all know, there's no such thing as a perfect date. The Virginia Film festival is also in town next weekend, so it'll be... exciting...

Anyways, the prelims should be done by 12:30, and the whole tournament really really really shouldn't run past 3:30-4, if that helps anyone. The Cav Classic tends to be the smaller of our three annual tournaments.

With the large Model UN conference, the film festival, and whatever else is happening on that Saturday, I certainly don't want to be waiting in line at a restaurant... To try to make things go even more quickly, we're going to encourage everyone to stay close for lunch, and offer coordinated delivery from not just pizza, but probably Chinese and/or "American" food places... Everyone loves to picnic on the Lawn, right?

For now, field update (in order of my typing):
Maggie Walker (4?)
Collegiate (3)
Warren County (2)
Walter Johnson (1? 2? 3?)
Gonzaga (1)
Robinson (2)
Eastern Montgomery (1)
TJ (3)
Clark County (2)
STAB (1)
Charlottesville (1?)

For a total of 20-25 teams. We currently have the manpower for about 30 teams, so hopefully more schools will join in as the deadline approaches...

-Steve
Last edited by yangsta on Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

It is looking more and more like we will not be able to bring 5 teams any more. I am now scrounging to get 4 teams together.

I think the date was fine. We just have several miscellaneous conflicts.
MamaFlanagan
Lulu

Post by MamaFlanagan »

Charlottesville is planning to send at least one team, I believe. I hope the tournament is over by 4, as To Kill A Mockingbird is showing at Newcomb Hall starting at 4. I love the Film Festival!
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

I think we'll end up sending 2 and possibly 3 teams rather than the 1 we've already registered. I'm suprised some more local teams like Charlottesville and Spotswood aren't signed up yet.

Edit: Ha, I started writing my post before MamaFlanagan posted. :lol:
Alex Price
Walter Johnson 2006
Emory University 2010
yangsta
Wakka

Post by yangsta »

MamaFlanagan wrote:Charlottesville is planning to send at least one team, I believe. I hope the tournament is over by 4, as To Kill A Mockingbird is showing at Newcomb Hall starting at 4. I love the Film Festival!
Great. Just send me an email when you guys figure it out. Thanks!
Encyclopedia Brown
Lulu

Post by Encyclopedia Brown »

I know that Freeman is out as well, due to the Homecoming factor.
Dave Porter,
Assistant coach in the Peninsula area
W&M (trash only) (2008-present)
CNU Quizbowl (2007)
Freeman HS President (2003-2005)
yangsta
Wakka

Update

Post by yangsta »

With registration deadline rapidly approaching (tomorrow), a field update:

Maggie Walker (4?)
Collegiate (3)
Warren County (2)
Walter Johnson (2?)
Gonzaga (1)
Robinson (2)
Eastern Montgomery (1)
TJ (3)
Clark County (1)
STAB (1)
Charlottesville (1?)
Clover Hill (1)
Georgetown Day (2?)
Mystery school (1?)
Lapego1
Tidus

Post by Lapego1 »

i guess much of the field must be still tentative, but if not, is there any sort of finalized field to post?
Mehdi Razvi
Maggie Walker Gov. School '07
University of Pennsylvania '11

"A goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid."
-James D. Watson (1928-)
yangsta
Wakka

Post by yangsta »

Lapego1 wrote:i guess much of the field must be still tentative, but if not, is there any sort of finalized field to post?
There were a couple more changes.

As of now:

Maggie Walker A
Maggie Walker B
Maggie Walker C
Maggie Walker D
Collegiate A
Collegiate B
Collegiate C
Warren County A
Warren County B
Walter Johnson A
Walter Johnson B
Gonzaga
Robinson A
Robinson B
Eastern Montgomery
TJ A
TJ B
Clarke County
STAB
Charlottesville
Clover Hill
Mystery School?
Blessed Sacrament Huguenot A
Blessed Sacrament Huguenot B
Wakefield
Godwin

(Total 25-28)
Lapego1
Tidus

Post by Lapego1 »

some final results as i recall them. i didn't see any of the consolation matches (3/4, 5/6), though Clover Hill left early (after quarterfinals), so they were automatically given 8th.
1. TJ A
2. Gov A
3/4. Walter Johnson A or STAB
5/6. Charlottesville A or Godwin
7. Gov B
8. Clover Hill
Mr. Yang et al can elaborate on this. The final match ended up a fairly close one with a score of 270-240 with both teams being severely weakened due to missing starters.
Mehdi Razvi

"A goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid."
-James D. Watson (1928-)
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

I think it was Walter Johnson over STAB and Charlottesville over Godwin in the consolation matches.

I believe it is an overstatement to say that TJ-A and MWGS-A were "severely weakened." Both teams played very well with excellent teams. In the finals, TJ jumped out to a sizeable lead in the first half, winning most of the many buzzer races early. MWGS closed the gap in the second half, but came a question short of pulling out the victory. Once again, this year promises to be a battle between these two teams, no matter what players they field in any given tournament.
yangsta
Wakka

Post by yangsta »

Just wanted to make a quick post to confirm the results.

Dr. Barnes was correct, and the final 8 were:

1. Thomas Jefferson A
2. Maggie Walker A
3. Walter Johnson A
4. St. Anne's Belfield
5. Charlottesville A
6. Godwin
7. Maggie Walker B
8. Clover Hill

Thanks to everyone for coming, and I'll make another post later with full results/stats.
Lapego1
Tidus

Post by Lapego1 »

anyone know when stats might be available. just wondering...no rush.
Mehdi Razvi

-James D. Watson (1928-)
yangsta
Wakka

Post by yangsta »

Lapego1 wrote:anyone know when stats might be available. just wondering...no rush.
Sorry for being slow.

Stats are now posted here:
http://www.student.virginia.edu/~quizbo ... ass10.html
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

I really enjoyed the questions in the playoffs. I would also like to commend UVA on running the tournament so smoothly (with the exception of that unavoidable late start). I look forward to the Cav Open in the in the Spring.

I found the preliminary rounds of the tournament to be somewhat frustrating at times. In the prelims, we somehow managed to get almost the same number of negs as TJ A and Gov A combined. In our game against Gov C, we got 6 right and 10 wrong! Our B team is even following in our footsteps, they got the the third most negs in the field. Interestingly enough, the only 3 teams that came from out of state finished with the most negs in the prelims. Pretty much the only thing we did well in the prelims was get the highest bonus conversion in the field.
Alex Price
Walter Johnson 2006
Emory University 2010