RAYNOR at Woodson HS, Fairfax VA (w/TJHSST) - (11/16/13)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
harborseal
Lulu

RAYNOR at Woodson HS, Fairfax VA (w/TJHSST) - (11/16/13)

Post by harborseal »

We are pleased to announce that Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology and Woodson High School will be co-hosting our fall tournament RAYNOR on November 16, 2013 at Woodson High School in Fairfax, VA. The set used will be the JAMES set, a co-housewrite between TJ and LASA High School in Austin, TX. PACE has awarded the JAMES set Exemplary Status. Individuals interested in mirroring JAMES may click here or email [email protected]. We are aiming for a field of between 24-32 teams; our final field cap will depend on staffing constraints.

Logistics:
Woodson’s address is 9525 Main Street Fairfax, VA 22031. Registration will start at 8:00, with the opening meeting starting at 9:00. Breakfast will be provided. We're unable to sell pizza to teams at lunchtime but will provide a list of local fast-food-style restaurants at registration.
Fees:

Registration fees per team:

$70 for schools that regularly participate in pyramidal quizbowl
$40 for schools that are new to pyramidal quizbowl

Discounts:
-$10 for a moderator with experience reading for pyramidal quizbowl tournaments
-$10 for teams travelling over 200 miles
-$5 per fully functional buzzer set (8 or more working buzzers)

We can accept registration fees in the form of cash or check. Checks should be made payable to TJHSST-Quizbowl with your schools name and Registration Fee in the memo line. We would prefer that payment be brought on the day of the tournament, but mailing in advance is fine too. Anything sent via snail mail should be addressed to TJHSST Quizbowl c/o Jennifer Seavey at 6560 Braddock Road, Alexandria, VA 22312.

There is no minimum team size, but teams rosters are limited to six players. If you plan to bring more than six players, you must register a second team.

Affiliation:
RAYNOR has been certified platinum by PACE. The top 25% of the field will qualify for the PACE NSC to be held in May.

Signup:
Sign up on our website. A field update can be found here; there will be a field update in this post as well. Registrations can be changed here

Any questions can be directed to the Thomas Jefferson quizbowl officers at [email protected]. We hope to see you all in November!
Last edited by harborseal on Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nadège Aoki
TJHSST 2014
Cornell 2018
MIT TBD
Great Bustard
Auron

Re: RAYNOR at Woodson HS, Fairfax VA (w/TJHSST) - (11/16/13)

Post by Great Bustard »

What does RAYNOR stand for?
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
harborseal
Lulu

Post by harborseal »

Standard-winged Nightjar wrote:What does RAYNOR stand for?
Nothing as of yet; it's a TJ tradition to name a tournament after a recently graduated senior member of the quizbowl team, so this year we've chosen to recognize Raynor Kuang's past contributions to the club. At the time of this posting we had not come up with a sufficiently appropriate acronym to match the name so we just announced it as is - if someone at TJ comes up with something better we may add it to the announcement.
Nadège Aoki
TJHSST 2014
Cornell 2018
MIT TBD
Galadedrid Damodred
Wakka

Post by Galadedrid Damodred »

harborseal wrote:
Nothing as of yet; it's a TJ tradition to name a tournament after a recently graduated senior member of the quizbowl team, so this year we've chosen to recognize Raynor Kuang's past contributions to the club. At the time of this posting we had not come up with a sufficiently appropriate acronym to match the name so we just announced it as is - if someone at TJ comes up with something better we may add it to the announcement.
Random Acronym You'll Never Once Remember?
Austin Brownlow
Louisville '14, Stanford '16
harborseal
Lulu

Post by harborseal »

Current Field: 32
Centennial (2)
Edison (1)
Georgetown Day School (1)
Hanover (1)
Herndon (2)
Howard (1)
Langley (2)
Longfellow MS (2)
Marshall (1)
Montgomery Blair (1)
Mount Vernon (2)
Nandua (3)
New Kent (1)
Oakland Mills (1)
Quince Orchard (1)
Richard Montgomery (1)
Robinson Middle (1)
South County (1)
St Anselm's (2)
State College HS (2)
Washington and Lee (1)
Western Albemarle (1)
Westfield (1)

Waitlist
Gonzaga
Last edited by harborseal on Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:03 pm, edited 25 times in total.
Nadège Aoki
TJHSST 2014
Cornell 2018
MIT TBD
Robbie Ram
Wakka

Post by Robbie Ram »

harborseal wrote:
Random Acronym You'll Never Once Remember?
Brilliant!

To all other teams in the DC / NoVA area: please sign up for this tournament; we would be sad to spend $50 to $70 (x 2) just for the opportunity to play... um... our own team. :-/
Michael P. Campana
Coach/sponsor, Quiz Bowl Club
Mark Twain Middle School
Alexandria, VA
harborseal
Lulu

Post by harborseal »

I would like to remind teams in the DC area that RAYNOR is now just a little over a month away and there is still plenty of room in the field. Make sure to get those registrations in!
Nadège Aoki
TJHSST 2014
Cornell 2018
MIT TBD
Apostolic Prefecture of Kompong Cham
Lulu

Post by Apostolic Prefecture of Kompong Cham »

We (Blair) signed up 1 team, but we will probably end up bringing 2-3, space permitting.
Arjuna Subramanian
Montgomery Blair '15
Princeton '19
Caltech '24/'25
Apostolic Prefecture of Kompong Cham
Lulu

Post by Apostolic Prefecture of Kompong Cham »

Due to conflicts with multiple computer science events, Blair will unfortunately be able to only bring 1 team.
Arjuna Subramanian
Montgomery Blair '15
Princeton '19
Caltech '24/'25
harborseal
Lulu

Post by harborseal »

With RAYNOR just a little over 2 weeks away, I'm pleased to announce that we have received Platinum certification from PACE. The top 25% of the field will qualify for the PACE NSC to be held May 24-25 2014 at the Hyatt Regency in Reston, VA.
Nadège Aoki
TJHSST 2014
Cornell 2018
MIT TBD
harborseal
Lulu

Post by harborseal »

At this point we plan to cap the field at 32 teams. We will start a waitlist and consider opening the field if enough teams show interest in the next week.
Nadège Aoki
TJHSST 2014
Cornell 2018
MIT TBD
harborseal
Lulu

Post by harborseal »

With the addition of the team from South County the field for RAYNOR is officially filled. We will start a waitlist for any additional registrations and consider opening the field as staffing and space constraints allow.
Nadège Aoki
TJHSST 2014
Cornell 2018
MIT TBD
harborseal
Lulu

Post by harborseal »

New Kent has dropped two teams, which brings the field back down to 30. There is a possibility that South County will bring a second team, in which case we would look favorably on an additional registration from any team to bring us back to even numbers for bracketing. If we are left at 31, a house team of players from Woodson and TJ will make up the difference.
Nadège Aoki
TJHSST 2014
Cornell 2018
MIT TBD
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

I may be able to add a team for this. I'll know more after Tuesday's practice.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
harborseal
Lulu

Post by harborseal »

Howard wrote:I may be able to add a team for this. I'll know more after Tuesday's practice.
Our two spots actually got filled quite quickly by Quince Orchard and a second team from Mount Vernon. If you would like to be placed on the wait-list please email [email protected], but at this point the field is once again full.
Nadège Aoki
TJHSST 2014
Cornell 2018
MIT TBD
sid96
Lulu

Post by sid96 »

We will be holding a free two-round, single elimination Trash tournament during lunch. We'll ask for 16 people, arranged in teams of 4, at the end of registration. The questions will be about the same difficulty as the rest of the JAMES set, and participation is open to anyone not affiliated with Thomas Jefferson or LASA. Players probably won't have too much time to go off campus to get lunch, so we suggest that you arrange to have someone bring you lunch.
Sid Verma
TJHSST 2014
harborseal
Lulu

Post by harborseal »

Prelim stats. Win-loss record ties were broken by PPB, not PPG as is indicated by the SQBS report. Playoff round-robins are currently underway (Beltway traffic and some unexpected staffing issues caused some delays).

We expect to only play cross-bracket games among the top two brackets.
Nadège Aoki
TJHSST 2014
Cornell 2018
MIT TBD
The Stately Rhododendron
Rikku

Post by The Stately Rhododendron »

I think the order went 1:WA 2:MB 3:RM 4:OM.
IKD
Yale 18
Oakland Mills 14
"I am the NAQT beast I worship."
harborseal
Lulu

Post by harborseal »

Western Albermarle beat Montgomery Blair in the final match to win first place (teams agreed to disregard Blair's advantage and play a one-game final). RM placed third, Oakland Mills took fourth. The top 8 teams (Dasher and Dancer playoff brackets) have qualified for PACE NSC: Western Albemarle, Montgomery Blair, Richard Montgomery, Oakland MIlls, Marshall, State College A, Quince Orchard, and GDS. Playoff stats are forthcoming.

Thank you to everyone for attending RAYNOR; we hope you enjoyed the tournament and the questions. Raynor Kuang will probably make a post here about where to direct comments for the JAMES set but for now, please remember that the set is not cleared for discussion outside of the participating teams since we still have mirrors going on across the country in the next few weeks.
Nadège Aoki
TJHSST 2014
Cornell 2018
MIT TBD
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

As Nadege mentioned, here are my (copy/pasted) instructions on how to find the user group. I'd like to give my own thanks to the teams who attended, as well as to my old QB team for their work in hosting this tournament.

Hi all! I hope that the tournament went well and everyone who played enjoyed the set. As mirrors have yet to be played on this set, please refrain from discussing this set with those who have not yet played it.

If you would like to discuss the set or ask for specific questions, you can join a private usergroup on these forums. To join, go to User Control Panel, go to the Usergroups panel, click the radio button under the Select column, scroll to the bottom of the page and choose Join Selected. As this is a private group, I will need to admit all requests, so please make clear your identity or that you have already played this set.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
harborseal
Lulu

Post by harborseal »

Playoff stats are now available. Please let me know if you find any errors (apologies in advance for any name misspellings).

A note on Langley's individual statistics: For the first two rounds that Langley A played, our scorekeeper did not take names or match tossups gotten with specific players. We did our best to divide the points among the Langley players based on their performances in other rounds, but we cannot guarantee the accuracy of these players' PPGs for prelims. There were several moderators and scorekeepers working with us today who were new to quizbowl and unfamiliar with how games are run; I was glad to see that the overall speed picked up in the afternoon and playoffs seemed to run smoothly, but I apologize for any delays that came in the morning as a result of slow moderating.

Combined stats might happen if I can get around to it, otherwise, again, thank you all for attending!
Nadège Aoki
TJHSST 2014
Cornell 2018
MIT TBD
harborseal
Lulu

Post by harborseal »

Combined stats are now available.

If the final rankings are unclear to anyone, I should note that RM and Blair both went 7-0 in prelims while Western Albemarle went 6-1. Prelim matches didn't carry over to playoffs, and multiple teams went 2-1 in playoffs; we broke the tie with PPB, which placed Western Albemarle first in their playoff bracket and put them in contention for first place. Just wanted to clear up why WA ended up in first when looking at the combined stats would imply RM had the better record.
Nadège Aoki
TJHSST 2014
Cornell 2018
MIT TBD