The 2013-14 Tournament Schedule

Old college threads.
User avatar
Tees-Exe Line
Tidus
Posts: 623
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:02 pm

Re: The 2013-14 Tournament Schedule

Post by Tees-Exe Line »

The logical date for our tournament, or at least the Chicago site, is March 8th, 2014.
Marshall I. Steinbaum

Oxford University (2002-2005)
University of Chicago (2008-2014)
University of Utah (2019- )

Get in the elevator.
User avatar
grapesmoker
Sin
Posts: 6368
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 5:23 pm
Location: NYC
Contact:

Re: The 2013-14 Tournament Schedule

Post by grapesmoker »

RyuAqua wrote:Updated the 1st post with all publicly-available current information.

Jerry, do you have any updates on when your crazy open will be?
It will be on November 23, the weekend that used to be MO in the past. Announcement coming today.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron
Posts: 2621
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:52 pm

Re: The 2013-14 Tournament Schedule

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Thanks for the updates, guys. Initial post updated accordingly.

To me, it seems as though there is now only one spot left for a tournament to fit in the calendar without risking overcrowding - something that runs from like January 18 to February 1 in various regions, depending on when winter breaks end and schools are back in session across a given area (the pre-SCT timeframe when VCU Closed, BARGE, and Terrapin 2011 ran). Should an event of that sort slide into place, it seems like we'd have a schedule that more or less works for everybody, with easy, regular, and hard tournaments scattered throughout the year at sane intervals.

Maryland, Berkeley: Do you have any more thoughts about Terrapin and WIT? I'm personally unsure that the schedule has room for two more separate events. Would either school be averse to combining?
Matt J.
ex-Georgetown Day HS, ex-Yale
member emeritus, ACF
User avatar
Red Panda Cub
Wakka
Posts: 199
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:59 pm

Re: The 2013-14 Tournament Schedule

Post by Red Panda Cub »

RyuAqua wrote:To me, it seems as though there is now only one spot left for a tournament to fit in the calendar without risking overcrowding - something that runs from like January 18 to February 1 in various regions?
As Kyle said upthread, January 25 is when we are planning on running Oxford Open. Obviously it won't have massive draw due to travel costs and such, but we would certainly welcome it if a few American teams would like to make the trip to play. Last time Chicago sent two teams and Harvard sent one. I imagine, though, that there would be little interest in American mirrors (which aren't something we've really discussed, anyway) due to (a) the inexperience of most of the editors, except Kyle, and (b) the British content.
Joey Goldman
Oxford '17
City, University of London '19
User avatar
i never see pigeons in wheeling
Rikku
Posts: 437
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 3:57 am

Re: The 2013-14 Tournament Schedule

Post by i never see pigeons in wheeling »

RyuAqua wrote: Maryland, Berkeley: Do you have any more thoughts about Terrapin and WIT? I'm personally unsure that the schedule has room for two more separate events. Would either school be averse to combining?
I personally wouldn't be opposed to writing with Maryland if it increases the probability that the set would be heavily mirrored. If such an arrangement does go through, I would like to acronymize the set as TWIT.
Ankit
Cal '16
Bellarmine College Preparatory '12
User avatar
1992 in spaceflight
Auron
Posts: 1395
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:11 pm
Location: St. Louis-area, MO

Re: The 2013-14 Tournament Schedule

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

I realize it's still July, but is Terrapin or WIT happening again?
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10


"And here we are as on a darkling plain, Swept by confused alarms of struggle and flight, Where ignorant armies clash by night."
Matthew Arnold, Dover Beach.
User avatar
vinteuil
Auron
Posts: 1455
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:31 pm

Re: The 2013-14 Tournament Schedule

Post by vinteuil »

The Two Hearts of Kwasi Boachi wrote:I realize it's still July, but is Terrapin or WIT happening again?
Tanay wrote:WIT will return. Perhaps that can be the late January event.
JR
User avatar
i never see pigeons in wheeling
Rikku
Posts: 437
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 3:57 am

Re: The 2013-14 Tournament Schedule

Post by i never see pigeons in wheeling »

perlnerd666 wrote:
The Two Hearts of Kwasi Boachi wrote:I realize it's still July, but is Terrapin or WIT happening again?
Tanay wrote:WIT will return. Perhaps that can be the late January event.
We are much less certain of WIT's vaunted return than we previously were.
Ankit
Cal '16
Bellarmine College Preparatory '12
Tanay
Rikku
Posts: 427
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:05 pm

Re: The 2013-14 Tournament Schedule

Post by Tanay »

List of Fighting Spirit characters wrote:
perlnerd666 wrote:
The Two Hearts of Kwasi Boachi wrote:I realize it's still July, but is Terrapin or WIT happening again?
Tanay wrote:WIT will return. Perhaps that can be the late January event.
We are much less certain of WIT's vaunted return than we previously were.
I don't think this is true at all. We can and will make WIT happen. Last year, it was nice to get the community's input about the event preferably being a collaborative packet submission tournament and not a housewrite. We'd appreciate similar insights this time around and would be happy to work on this set with collaborators, in addition to taking other necessary steps to accommodate the schedule and minimize any...Woe from WIT.
Tanay
ex-Berkeley, ex-Bellarmine
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron
Posts: 2621
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:52 pm

Re: The 2013-14 Tournament Schedule

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

So it's been over three months since anyone from Maryland said anything about Terrapin on the boards, and the last we heard from Berkeley was an intra-team disagreement. Is Terrapin happening? Which Maryland people would be editing? Is there still desire for WIT to exist? Would the two events want to collaborate? (For the sake of the community input that Tanay requested: My opinion is that a collaborative packet-sub event in late January, before SCT, is probably the best hope of getting enough packets and viable sites; I worry that you guys at Berkeley would have a lot of trouble house-writing or editing a tournament on your own.) Are there other people who thought about collaborating with or joining a tournament project at that late January time? Last year, both WIT and Terrapin suffered smaller fields and got fewer packets submitted because they were announced very late in the game.
Matt J.
ex-Georgetown Day HS, ex-Yale
member emeritus, ACF
Tanay
Rikku
Posts: 427
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:05 pm

Re: The 2013-14 Tournament Schedule

Post by Tanay »

RyuAqua wrote:So it's been over three months since anyone from Maryland said anything about Terrapin on the boards, and the last we heard from Berkeley was an intra-team disagreement. Is Terrapin happening? Which Maryland people would be editing? Is there still desire for WIT to exist? Would the two events want to collaborate? (For the sake of the community input that Tanay requested: My opinion is that a collaborative packet-sub event in late January, before SCT, is probably the best hope of getting enough packets and viable sites; I worry that you guys at Berkeley would have a lot of trouble house-writing or editing a tournament on your own.) Are there other people who thought about collaborating with or joining a tournament project at that late January time? Last year, both WIT and Terrapin suffered smaller fields and got fewer packets submitted because they were announced very late in the game.
I'm obviously in a weird position to comment on "desire for WIT to exist", but looking through the WIT discussion, just about everyone said they enjoyed playing it and it was repeatedly compared favorably to other regular-difficulty sets from the same season. We'd welcome any collaborators on something similar this year, and could definitely work with the idea of a January collaborative packet-sub. Barring that, I'm also intrigued by the possibility of writing something explicitly targeted as "slightly easier than regular difficulty", for a couple of reasons. First, there isn't really a tournament for the audience that prefers this difficulty between ACF Fall in October and MUT in April/May (I consider DII SCT to be markedly easier; maybe I'm wrong). Second, as Matt points out, a full regular-difficulty set is a hefty endeavor (though I would contend that I've been involved in enough projects in the past to make this work), so I'm happy to work on something like this, which seems more appropriate for a young Berkeley writing team. Third, most people considered WIT a bit easier than "regular" last year anyway.
Tanay
ex-Berkeley, ex-Bellarmine
Charbroil
Auron
Posts: 1145
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:52 am
Location: St. Charles, MO

Re: The 2013-14 Tournament Schedule

Post by Charbroil »

Tanay wrote:
RyuAqua wrote:So it's been over three months since anyone from Maryland said anything about Terrapin on the boards, and the last we heard from Berkeley was an intra-team disagreement. Is Terrapin happening? Which Maryland people would be editing? Is there still desire for WIT to exist? Would the two events want to collaborate? (For the sake of the community input that Tanay requested: My opinion is that a collaborative packet-sub event in late January, before SCT, is probably the best hope of getting enough packets and viable sites; I worry that you guys at Berkeley would have a lot of trouble house-writing or editing a tournament on your own.) Are there other people who thought about collaborating with or joining a tournament project at that late January time? Last year, both WIT and Terrapin suffered smaller fields and got fewer packets submitted because they were announced very late in the game.
First, there isn't really a tournament for the audience that prefers this difficulty between ACF Fall in October and MUT in April/May (I consider DII SCT to be markedly easier; maybe I'm wrong).
What about MFT?
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19 (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
Tanay
Rikku
Posts: 427
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:05 pm

Re: The 2013-14 Tournament Schedule

Post by Tanay »

Charbroil wrote:
Tanay wrote: First, there isn't really a tournament for the audience that prefers this difficulty between ACF Fall in October and MUT in April/May (I consider DII SCT to be markedly easier; maybe I'm wrong).
What about MFT?
I hadn't seen the announcement for that. Thanks for posting about it. It looks like MFT will generally be run in October and November, meaning that there'd still be space for this.
Tanay
ex-Berkeley, ex-Bellarmine
User avatar
Cheynem
Sin
Posts: 6814
Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 11:19 am
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan

Re: The 2013-14 Tournament Schedule

Post by Cheynem »

Wait, WIT was easier than regular?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
User avatar
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year
Posts: 2776
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:57 am
Location: Richmond

Re: The 2013-14 Tournament Schedule

Post by Cody »

The only place MFT isn't running before Fall is like, the United Kingdom, so there's no contradiction in the above post. The basic gist was that there's plenty of room for a Regionals- tournament sometime in January, which is entirely true.

I do hope Maryland decides to collaborate this year, since their decision not to last year only resulted in them collaborating anyway, and the fields for both WIT and Terrapin were terrible as a result of an overcrowded schedule and late announcements (on the part of the latter). Plus, there's only really room for about one more tournament on the schedule, so the only way both WIT and Terrapin can be feasibly run is together.
Cody Voight (he/him), VCU ‘14. I wrote lots of science and am an electrical engineer.
VCU Tournament Director ‘13-‘17. HSAPQ President ‘15-‘16. ACF Treasurer ‘19-‘20. ACF Nats ‘21 TD.
Hero of Socialist Quizbowl Labor (NSC ‘14). “esteemed colleague” of Snap Wexley, ca. 2016. Stats Hero (Nats ‘16).
Quizbowl at VCU
User avatar
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron
Posts: 2294
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:53 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: The 2013-14 Tournament Schedule

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Having another MUT/MFT-like event between MFT and MUT would be great. Having only regular and higher difficulty events (apart from D2 SCT, which is extremely competitive) during winter makes it difficult to get new members of your club to tournaments that are appropriate for them. Events like MUT and MFT, when they are well-done (like I think this past year's MUT was) can provide meaningful competition between good, but not elite teams (i.e. UVA A, Yale A) and still give new players plenty of opportunities to get questions on easy answers, much more than a tournament like WIT did.
Tanay wrote:Third, most people considered WIT a bit easier than "regular" last year anyway.
I feel WIT was a bit easier than "regular" in that it used easier clues than most regular-difficulty tournaments, as Auroni discussed in the tournament discussion thread.In addition, WIT came in a season that had both VCU Closed and Regionals, both of which skewed harder than "regular" difficulty in many peoples' minds, so it seemed easy by comparison (the stats from these tournaments bear this out as well).

Also, I'm not sure what everyone else's school schedule is, but I don't see why it's not possible to have a regular-difficulty event after Nationals. Since the April 27-28th date seemed to work for people as a Nationals date last year, and since this year's Nationals is two weeks earlier than that, I don't see why we can't do a regular-difficulty event a couple weeks after nationals. I realize there may be conflicts with staffing other championships or (most importantly) exams, but there should still be enough teams willing and able to attend that such an event could be feasible.
Will Alston
Bethesda Chevy Chase HS '12, Dartmouth '16, Columbia Business School '21
NAQT Writer and Subject Editor
gyre and gimble
Tidus
Posts: 730
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:45 am

Re: The 2013-14 Tournament Schedule

Post by gyre and gimble »

I think there's a strong argument for keeping WIT/TIT at regular difficulty. In particular, making it an easy/sorta-easy tournament leaves just one regular difficulty tournament for the spring semester (Regionals) plus SCT DI. I forget how crowded last year's schedule was, but it did have three additional regular difficulty events (VCU Closed, WIT, TIT) so I think it's good to keep at least one of those around. And considering that there are only two regular difficulty events scheduled for the fall, lowering the difficulty for WIT/TIT would actually leave us with more sub-regular events than regular ones over the course of the whole season.

And speaking of VCU Closed -- has the set been posted yet?
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
User avatar
Auroni
Auron
Posts: 3105
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:23 pm
Location: Urbana

Re: The 2013-14 Tournament Schedule

Post by Auroni »

Cheynem wrote:Wait, WIT was easier than regular?
No. As head editor, I wanted it to reflect what I thought regular difficulty should be like. People are saying it was easier than regular because it was easier than the norm.
Auroni Gupta
UIUC
ACF
User avatar
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron
Posts: 1527
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:11 pm

Re: The 2013-14 Tournament Schedule

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots »

I too think the circuit would be better served by a controlled regular event, like WIT was last year.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
Editor-in-Chief, ACF
User avatar
vinteuil
Auron
Posts: 1455
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:31 pm

Re: The 2013-14 Tournament Schedule

Post by vinteuil »

gyre and gimble wrote:I think there's a strong argument for keeping WIT/TIT at regular difficulty. In particular, making it an easy/sorta-easy tournament leaves just one regular difficulty tournament for the spring semester (Regionals) plus SCT DI. I forget how crowded last year's schedule was, but it did have three additional regular difficulty events (VCU Closed, WIT, TIT) so I think it's good to keep at least one of those around. And considering that there are only two regular difficulty events scheduled for the fall, lowering the difficulty for WIT/TIT would actually leave us with more sub-regular events than regular ones over the course of the whole season.

And speaking of VCU Closed -- has the set been posted yet?
I too would like to see this (potential) tournament called "TWIT."
JR
User avatar
Brian McPeak
Lulu
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:31 pm

Re: The 2013-14 Tournament Schedule

Post by Brian McPeak »

I can say that Maryland does plan to write Terrapin this spring. I need to talk to my team regarding combining with Berkeley, but we'll figure out what we are doing and let people know in a more timely manner this year. If people on Berkeley want to talk about details, they should send me an email at [email protected]
Brian McPeak
University of Maryland
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron
Posts: 2621
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:52 pm

Re: The 2013-14 Tournament Schedule

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Brian McPeak wrote:I can say that Maryland does plan to write Terrapin this spring. I need to talk to my team regarding combining with Berkeley, but we'll figure out what we are doing and let people know in a more timely manner this year. If people on Berkeley want to talk about details, they should send me an email at [email protected]
A month or so later, are there any more concrete details about this? In particular, it's probably good to announce whether this will be packet-submission or not shortly, since a late January/early February tournament would ideally start accepting packets in mid-November and lead time on preparing for that is nice.
Matt J.
ex-Georgetown Day HS, ex-Yale
member emeritus, ACF
User avatar
1992 in spaceflight
Auron
Posts: 1395
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:11 pm
Location: St. Louis-area, MO

Re: The 2013-14 Tournament Schedule

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

So some resolution on the scheduling conundrum between Terrapin and WIT would be nice. I think everyone agrees that there's really only room for one more tournament on the schedule. Does anyone on Maryland or Berkeley have objections to making a "TWIT" combined packet-sub event?
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10


"And here we are as on a darkling plain, Swept by confused alarms of struggle and flight, Where ignorant armies clash by night."
Matthew Arnold, Dover Beach.
User avatar
Brian McPeak
Lulu
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:31 pm

Re: The 2013-14 Tournament Schedule

Post by Brian McPeak »

Okay, so the spring semester tournament SUBMIT will be happening in that late January spot. There will be an official announcement tomorrow. Until then you can try to guess what SUBMIT stands for.
Brian McPeak
University of Maryland
User avatar
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year
Posts: 2776
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:57 am
Location: Richmond

Re: The 2013-14 Tournament Schedule

Post by Cody »

according to IRC: < bewilderingly> Super Unpunctual, But Maryland Introduces Tournament

In other words, we've been waiting a month or more for solid information about Terrapin and/or WIT (whereas the entire rest of the schedule has already been nailed down). Can't you just be straight with us [tonight] and put up a full announcement tomorrow? (I mean, "Maryland and Berkeley [or whatever] are writing a spring invitational for the late January spot, a complete announcement will be coming tomorrow." would suffice!)
Last edited by Cody on Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cody Voight (he/him), VCU ‘14. I wrote lots of science and am an electrical engineer.
VCU Tournament Director ‘13-‘17. HSAPQ President ‘15-‘16. ACF Treasurer ‘19-‘20. ACF Nats ‘21 TD.
Hero of Socialist Quizbowl Labor (NSC ‘14). “esteemed colleague” of Snap Wexley, ca. 2016. Stats Hero (Nats ‘16).
Quizbowl at VCU
Tanay
Rikku
Posts: 427
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:05 pm

Re: The 2013-14 Tournament Schedule

Post by Tanay »

Brian McPeak wrote:Okay, so the spring semester tournament SUBMIT will be happening in that late January spot. There will be an official announcement tomorrow.
Renesmee LaHotdog Voight wrote:Can't you just be straight with us and put up a full announcement tomorrow? (I mean, "Maryland and Berkeley [or whatever] are writing a spring invitational for the late January spot, a complete announcement will be coming tomorrow." would suffice!)
I am not sure I see the problem here.
Tanay
ex-Berkeley, ex-Bellarmine
User avatar
Frauny Von Smiley
Wakka
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:54 am

Re: The 2013-14 Tournament Schedule

Post by Frauny Von Smiley »

Is there any news regarding if/when MUT is going to happen?
Sean Smiley

VCU '13

William & Mary Law '16
User avatar
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator
Posts: 4139
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:28 pm
Location: Minneapolis
Contact:

Re: The 2013-14 Tournament Schedule

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

MUT will be running again, in roughly the same time frame as last year (mid-March through April).
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??
Member, ACF
Member, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
User avatar
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron
Posts: 2294
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:53 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: The 2013-14 Tournament Schedule

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Ukonvasara wrote:MUT will be running again, in roughly the same time frame as last year (mid-March through April).
Not to be too pushy, but are there any important updates on this?
Will Alston
Bethesda Chevy Chase HS '12, Dartmouth '16, Columbia Business School '21
NAQT Writer and Subject Editor
User avatar
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator
Posts: 4139
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:28 pm
Location: Minneapolis
Contact:

Re: The 2013-14 Tournament Schedule

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

gamegeek2 wrote:
Ukonvasara wrote:MUT will be running again, in roughly the same time frame as last year (mid-March through April).
Not to be too pushy, but are there any important updates on this?
Look for an announcement thread shortly!

EDIT: Voila.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??
Member, ACF
Member, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Locked