Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL (10/5/13)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
bag-of-worms
Lulu

Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL (10/5/13)

Post by bag-of-worms »

This is the official announcement for the Earlybird Tournament, which will be held at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign on Saturday, October 5, 2013.

WHERE and WHEN:

This tournament will take place in Gregory Hall. We will meet in Gregory 213, a lecture hall on the second floor. Registration will occur from 8 am to 8:30 am. There is a parking lot on 6th and Gregory, and another on 6th and Chalmers that is free to park on weekends.

QUESTIONS: We will use BISB.
Adam Silverman wrote:The 2013 Brookwood Invitational Scholars Bowl is seeking mirrors for the 2013-2014 school year. Next year’s set will be entirely written and edited by myself, Adam Silverman, Mostafa Bhuiyan, Brady Weiler, and Kunal Naik. Between us, we have written thousands of quizbowl questions, and I personally have edited three high school sets in the past, so you can be sure of a high-quality set of questions.
FORMAT:
The Earlybird tournament will use mACF format. In particular, Earlybird will be a 4-on-4 tournament; matches will be 20/20, with sudden-death tiebreakers; bonuses are three parts read one at a time, and there will be no bouncebacks.

The set is not powermarked.

In terms of tournament structure, we usually use some form of round robin, followed by rebracketing and an ACF-format final.

WHO WE'RE TRYING TO ATTRACT:
The University of Illinois ABT is pleased to invite all interested teams from any state to attend this tournament. In the past, we've attracted teams from not just Illinois but also Indiana, Michigan, Kentucky, and Missouri; we hope those teams will return and bring their state compatriots. Everyone will have the chance to play good teams on good questions. We're also interested in receiving second, third, ... teams from the same school.

COST:

The base registration fee is $65. Teams may receive a $5 discount for each working buzzer set they bring up to $10, for a minimum registration fee of $55 per team ($45 should staffers be needed). Subsequent teams after the first will be $55. Should we require staffers from schools they will receive a $10 discount per staffer off of their overall registration team.

If you're interested in registration or have any other questions in general, please e-mail me, Austin Listerud, at austinlisterud at gmail dot com. Please use "Earlybird" as your subject line.

FIELD:

Fenton
Bloomington x2
Springfield
Glenwood x2
Rolling Meadows X2
Champaign Centennial
IMSA x2
Auburn x2
University High 2
Stevenson 2
Homewood Flossmoor
The Republic of Wadiya
Legally Ankush
St. Viator

Total: 21
Cap: 24
Last edited by bag-of-worms on Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:16 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Austin
Illinois
thrillhouse
Lulu

Re: Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL (10/5/13)

Post by thrillhouse »

Bloomington High School (Bloomington, IL) is interested in bringing 2 teams.

Thanks!
Tim Coughlan
Scholastic Bowl Coach, Bloomington High School
adamsil
Wakka

Post by adamsil »

bag-of-worms wrote:This is the official announcement for the Earlybird Tournament, which will be held at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign on Saturday, October 5, 2013.

WHERE:

To be determined, but you may expect the tournament to take place in the English Building.

QUESTIONS: We will use BISB.
Adam Silverman wrote:The 2013 Brookwood Invitational Scholars Bowl is seeking mirrors for the 2013-2014 school year. Next year’s set will be entirely written and edited by myself, Adam Silverman, Mostafa Bhuiyan, Brady Weiler, and Kunal Naik. Between us, we have written thousands of quizbowl questions, and I personally have edited three high school sets in the past, so you can be sure of a high-quality set of questions.
FORMAT:
The Earlybird tournament will use mACF format, with powers. In particular, Earlybird will be a 4-on-4 tournament; matches will be 20/20, with sudden-death tiebreakers; bonuses are three parts read one at a time, and there will be no bouncebacks.

In terms of tournament structure, we usually use some form of round robin, followed by rebracketing and an ACF-format final.

WHO WE'RE TRYING TO ATTRACT:
The University of Illinois ABT is pleased to invite all interested teams from any state to attend this tournament. In the past, we've attracted teams from not just Illinois but also Indiana, Michigan, Kentucky, and Missouri; we hope those teams will return and bring their state compatriots. Everyone will have the chance to play good teams on good questions. We're also interested in receiving second, third, ... teams from the same school.

COST:

The base registration fee is $65. Teams may receive a $5 discount for each working buzzer set they bring up to $10, for a minimum registration fee of $55 per team ($45 should staffers be needed). Subsequent teams after the first will be $55. Should we require staffers from schools they will receive a $10 discount per staffer off of their overall registration team.

If you're interested in registration or have any other questions in general, please e-mail me, Austin Listerud, at austinlisterud at gmail dot com. Please use "Earlybird" as your subject line.

FIELD:
The set is not powermarked. Let us discuss this.
Adam Silverman
BS Georgia Tech '16
PhD Northwestern '21
bag-of-worms
Lulu

Post by bag-of-worms »

adamsil wrote: The set is not powermarked. Let us discuss this.
I fixed the main post to reflect this.
Austin
Illinois
msacks
Lulu

Post by msacks »

Homewood-Flossmoor is interested in attending (with just one team this year). We will be bringing one buzzer system.

Michael Sacks
Homewood-Flossmoor High School
Mathematics Teacher (Geometry)
Head Boys Tennis Coach
Head Scholastic Bowl Coach
Head Mathletes Coach
Michael Sacks
Mathematics Teacher (AP Statistics and Geometry)
Head Mathletes Coach
Head Boys Tennis Coach
RFedewa
Kimahri

Post by RFedewa »

Stevenson will definitely be bringing one team, and I am currently asking my players if we have enough for a second one.
Ryan Fedewa
AP Physics 1 and AP Physics C Teacher
Head Coach of Varsity Scholastic Bowl
Sponsor of IGC

Adlai E. Stevenson High School
1 Stevenson Dr. Lincolnshire, IL 60069
Coach G
Lulu

Post by Coach G »

Rockford Auburn would like to participate, with one team for sure and probably a second one (we're still working on transportation). We'll bring two buzzer systems.
Linda J. Greene
Rockford Auburn Coach
Neva O'Laughlin
Kimahri

Post by Neva O'Laughlin »

I am interested in bringing one team from Saint Viator High School. I can bring 2 lockout systems and, if necessary, a moderator (not me).
Neva O'Laughlin
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

IMSA would like to bring 2 teams. Formal registration is on its way.
Dr. Noah Prince

Normal Community High School (2002)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2004, 2007, 2008)

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)
guy in San Diego (2016-present)
President of Qblitz (2018-present)

chumes
Kimahri

Post by chumes »

Stevenson will be sending two teams. Thanks.

User was reminded to enable a signature. --Mgmt.
schen
Lulu

Post by schen »

Hinsdale Central is interested in attending with 1 team, although we will be competing with an unofficial name. We may have a staffer on hand. I've emailed the email address above for information.
Sunny Chen
Hinsdale Central HS '16
Cal '20

Member of Ankush Club
ankmaster
Lulu

Post by ankmaster »

i agree
MLaudermith
Wakka

Post by MLaudermith »

Can someone from the ABT please confirm that Earlybird is still happening on the 5th? If so, where and when does it start?

It's at the point where schools have to make transportation arrangements and we haven't heard a peep from the people running the tournament. If you don't respond within the next day or so, I think some teams will be forced to drop out.
Mike Laudermith, Fenton High School
IHSSBCA Member-at-Large

"Where can you belt back a fifth of scotch on the Firth of Forth?"
--geography tossup from the pioneering days of Illinois Scholastic Bowl
touchpack
Rikku

Post by touchpack »

MLaudermith wrote:Can someone from the ABT please confirm that Earlybird is still happening on the 5th? If so, where and when does it start?

It's at the point where schools have to make transportation arrangements and we haven't heard a peep from the people running the tournament. If you don't respond within the next day or so, I think some teams will be forced to drop out.
This tournament is definitely still happening. Austin only just got the forms in yesterday, so we should have detailed information available by the end of the week.

Sorry for the huge delay and lack of information.
Billy Busse
University of Illinois, B.S. '14
Rosalind Franklin University, M.S. '21, M.D. Candidate '25
Emeritus Member, ACF
Writer/Subject Editor/Set Editor, NAQT
msacks
Lulu

Post by msacks »

James Garcia (Champaign Centennial coach) also heard from someone running the tournament. I'd assume it's on (with a little trepidation at the lack of contact). HF is still coming with 1 team and 1 buzzer system.
Michael Sacks
Mathematics Teacher (AP Statistics and Geometry)
Head Mathletes Coach
Head Boys Tennis Coach
bag-of-worms
Lulu

Post by bag-of-worms »

I have responded to all of you individually.
I have updated the main post to reflect the location of the tournament.
Austin
Illinois
ankmaster
Lulu

Post by ankmaster »

We already asked you, but Hinsdale Central would like to change our name to Legally Kush Hinsdale.

Thanks
garciaja
Lulu

Post by garciaja »

I thought this question set was pretty dang good. I'm not sure the set's been cleared, but in general terms it was quite good except for some personal critiques. Overall however, I'd give this question set two thumbs up. {edited to be even more general]

The main trouble with this tournament was in its formatting for 21 teams. I'm not sure why the decision was made to go with 21 teams, but please waitlist teams until there is an ideal number (18,20,24) so 3 teams at a time don't have a bye in the prelims, and 3 teams at a time in the playoffs. Additionally, 12 rounds is too many. I know there will be others who debate this, but in a field this size, there surely is a way to have 8-9 rounds with ACF finals rather than 12 rounds for all teams.

Our team left after the first round of playoffs because of the disorganization with the bottom bracket and general untimeliness. The first round was delayed for the arrival of one team and instead of starting around 8:30 we started after 9:15 to my recollection. If all teams have a bye in the prelims, why not have us all start with the round that team has a bye? We left at 4:15 having played just 7 matches on the day, with one bye. This seems like a low number for such a long day. I don't mind having our team lose so many matches, and we like that this tournament is local for us, but I must (and other coaches will as well) reconsider attending this tournament in the future if it is so disorganized.
Last edited by garciaja on Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James Garcia
Champaign Centennial High School Coach
Player for Springfield Southeast '04
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

garciaja wrote:I'm not sure the set's been cleared
The set is not clear (there are a number future tournaments using these questions).
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
schen
Lulu

Post by schen »

What time can we expect the stats to be posted?
Sunny Chen
Hinsdale Central HS '16
Cal '20

Member of Ankush Club
ankmaster
Lulu

Post by ankmaster »

When do you expect stats and results to be up?
adamsil
Wakka

Post by adamsil »

Hey all,

Not sure when stats will be up, but we'd love to hear any feedback/criticism on the set now so that we can get those issues addressed before the next mirror. We've set up a private discussion forum for BISB 2013 which you can access through the User Control Panel. Thanks!
Adam Silverman
BS Georgia Tech '16
PhD Northwestern '21
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

schen wrote:What time can we expect the stats to be posted?
ankmaster wrote:When do you expect stats and results to be up?
Hey mods: can we do something to cut down on these "it's been three hours since the tournament finished, WHERE ARE OUR STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATS" posts?

Also, protip: maybe you shouldn't try to play a high school tournament under a false name related to drugs?! Just a suggestion.
garciaja wrote:The main trouble with this tournament was in its formatting for 21 teams. I'm not sure why the decision was made to go with 21 teams, but please waitlist teams until there is an ideal number (18,20,24) so 3 teams at a time don't have a bye in the prelims, and 3 teams at a time in the playoffs.
I'm not handwaving the rest of this post, I just wanted to address this one particular point - in theory, having three times with byes at a time is not a problem. If you end up with an odd number of teams but can still do a reasonable schedule where teams only have one or two byes, your schedule is okay. Turning teams away because it doesn't lead to one of the handful of numbers of teams that leads to the most perfect schedule is not a good idea.

Only getting through the prelims at 4 p.m. (if I'm reading your post correctly) is a big problem, of course, but I don't think that can really be blamed on the schedule theory.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Lagotto Romagnolo
Tidus

Post by Lagotto Romagnolo »

We found a red, blue, and green jacket after the tournament with the words 'Respect the Game' on the back. Please send me a PM if this is yours. Thanks!
Aaron Rosenberg
Langley HS '07 / Brown '11 / Illinois '14
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

garciaja wrote: We left at 4:15 having played just 7 matches on the day, with one bye. This seems like a low number for such a long day.
Congratulations, you can now say you've walked a mile in my shoes! I get this result every year, sometimes with only SIX matches. But, tournaments are so sparse at the MS level, I pretty much have to take it for what it is.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
schen
Lulu

Post by schen »

Grams's Go-Go Boots wrote:
Hey mods: can we do something to cut down on these "it's been three hours since the tournament finished, WHERE ARE OUR STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATS" posts?

Also, protip: maybe you shouldn't try to play a high school tournament under a false name related to drugs?! Just a suggestion.
This has only been our second tournament outside of IHSA stuff and Masonics. At the first tournament we attended, stats were posted pretty quickly, so we assumed the same would occur here.

The name was changed by a member of our team without my consent, although we played under the name "Legally Ankush" anyways.
Sunny Chen
Hinsdale Central HS '16
Cal '20

Member of Ankush Club
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

schen wrote:
Grams's Go-Go Boots wrote:

This has only been our second tournament outside of IHSA stuff and Masonics. At the first tournament we attended, stats were posted pretty quickly, so we assumed the same would occur here.

The name was changed by a member of our team without my consent, although we played under the name "Legally Ankush" anyways.
Unfortunately the guy who's going to post stats is kind of a college student who has other priorities he needs to take care of before he posts the stats. Sorry to disappoint you
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Martha Dreyer wrote:Unfortunately the guy who's going to post stats is kind of a college student who has other priorities he needs to take care of before he posts the stats. Sorry to disappoint you
Don't pull a Princeton. The moderators of the board have taken care of the excessive "stats" posting. Saying "our team is too busy to properly run a high school tournament but we ran one anyway because reasons" will not help you repair your releationship with the teams who were unsatisfied at the way this tournament ran.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
bag-of-worms
Lulu

Post by bag-of-worms »

garciaja wrote:I thought this question set was pretty dang good. I'm not sure the set's been cleared, but in general terms it was quite good except for some personal critiques. Overall however, I'd give this question set two thumbs up. {edited to be even more general]
Congratulations to Stevenson A.

Stats

I would like to thank Adam, Mostafa, Brady, and Kunal for putting together a great set. There were a few factual errors, but the ones I can think of did not noticeably affect how the questions were played.
garciaja wrote: The main trouble with this tournament was in its formatting for 21 teams. I'm not sure why the decision was made to go with 21 teams, but please waitlist teams until there is an ideal number (18,20,24) so 3 teams at a time don't have a bye in the prelims, and 3 teams at a time in the playoffs. Additionally, 12 rounds is too many. I know there will be others who debate this, but in a field this size, there surely is a way to have 8-9 rounds with ACF finals rather than 12 rounds for all teams.
I agree that I should have capped the field at 18. I also felt that offering fewer than 10 games was unacceptable. We had one of the best crews of readers Illinois has had since I've been here. The timing can be blamed on the format, though I recognize that the format is my fault. Very little happened on the day of the tournament that was not dictated by the 21 team schedule.

An 18 or 24 team schedule would have made things run more smoothly, more timely.
garciaja wrote: Our team left after the first round of playoffs because of the disorganization with the bottom bracket and general untimeliness. The first round was delayed for the arrival of one team and instead of starting around 8:30 we started after 9:15 to my recollection. If all teams have a bye in the prelims, why not have us all start with the round that team has a bye? We left at 4:15 having played just 7 matches on the day, with one bye. This seems like a low number for such a long day. I don't mind having our team lose so many matches, and we like that this tournament is local for us, but I must (and other coaches will as well) reconsider attending this tournament in the future if it is so disorganized.
I intended the tournament to start at 9 from the beginning. This is why I said registration would occur from 8 to 8:30, for teams will invariably show up late. Could you describe the disorganization of the bottom bracket? One team informed me before round 1 that they would be leaving before the playoffs. This added a bye to the bottom bracket. Also, a local team in the bottom bracket left without telling anyone.
Austin
Illinois
schen
Lulu

Post by schen »

I believe that the player "Sayushan", with a ppg of -5, is actually me. I guess my name could sound like that if I mumbled.
Sunny Chen
Hinsdale Central HS '16
Cal '20

Member of Ankush Club
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

schen wrote:I believe that the player "Sayushan", with a ppg of -5, is actually me. I guess my name could sound like that if I mumbled.
The version on ihssbca.org has been corrected.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
MACROPHAGE
Kimahri

Post by MACROPHAGE »

Hi, another correction for hinsdale/legally ankush:
Ayar should be Ayan, and he actually played in rounds 4, 7, 9, and 11 instead of Harrison, so Ayan should have 4.0 games and Harrison should have 6.0. He did not get any tossups for those games so you do not have to worry about points. We have a few other concerns over the stats but will need to look at our stats tomorrow.

Thanks

user was banned for a month for creating a second account to circumvent existing ban --the mgmt
James Zhou
Hinsdale Central '16
Safety Captain
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

MACROPHAGE wrote:user was banned for a month for creating a second account to circumvent existing ban --the mgmt
I guess you could say he secreted a little too much...

:cool:

IL-1 and IL-6.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

If the stats are correct, no team left after lunch, and the local team that left early was Coach Garcia's. One team was a no-show for the tournament. The bottom pool had four teams that were actually at the tournament, so they should have been able to play three afternoon rounds and go home by 4:15.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
garciaja
Lulu

Post by garciaja »

ether a go-go wrote:The bottom pool had four teams that were actually at the tournament, so they should have been able to play three afternoon rounds and go home by 4:15.
This is the reason we left. We intended to play 3 matches after rebracketing but our opposing team was a no-show presumably because they thought they had a bye or were playing Fenton, so rather than deal with that mess we took off. It would have been nice for the TD to keep those teams in the auditorium before sending teams off for the "afternoon" so this was properly communicated.
bag-of-worms wrote:I agree that I should have capped the field at 18. I also felt that offering fewer than 10 games was unacceptable. We had one of the best crews of readers Illinois has had since I've been here. The timing can be blamed on the format, though I recognize that the format is my fault. Very little happened on the day of the tournament that was not dictated by the 21 team schedule.
10 rounds is a great amount but not always at the expense of teams' time, especially expecting each team to have two byes. I don't speak for everyone, but in general high school players and coaches are more time-sensitive than collegiate players. This isn't necessarily a bad thing or even a point of conflict, just something to consider.
Grams's Go-Go Boots wrote:I'm not handwaving the rest of this post, I just wanted to address this one particular point - in theory, having three times with byes at a time is not a problem. If you end up with an odd number of teams but can still do a reasonable schedule where teams only have one or two byes, your schedule is okay. Turning teams away because it doesn't lead to one of the handful of numbers of teams that leads to the most perfect schedule is not a good idea.
A waitlist isn't necessarily a bad idea here though.

I know I'm spoiled because I do expect tournaments to have each team scheduled to play without byes and in a format where a winner or at least a top two can be determined by rounds 8-10 or so. This speaks less about my pickiness and complaints, and more to the tournament planning abilities of Coach Coughlan of Bloomington, Coach Adkins of Springfield, Jonah, and Donald among the other TDs in Illinois. I do appreciate the ABT for hosting this event on campus and will likely have teams attend in the future, but I thought this year's event was less ideal than previous.
James Garcia
Champaign Centennial High School Coach
Player for Springfield Southeast '04
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

garciaja wrote:I know I'm spoiled because I do expect tournaments to have each team scheduled to play without byes and in a format where a winner or at least a top two can be determined by rounds 8-10 or so. This speaks less about my pickiness and complaints, and more to the tournament planning abilities of Coach Coughlan of Bloomington, Coach Adkins of Springfield, Jonah, and Donald among the other TDs in Illinois. I do appreciate the ABT for hosting this event on campus and will likely have teams attend in the future, but I thought this year's event was less ideal than previous.
James, thank you for the kind words.

To Austin's credit, I did sit down with him after the tournament and hash out some of the things that could be done better. From what I saw, it was a lot of little things that dragged the tournament down, and the inclement weather during lunch didn't exactly help matters logistically.

From what I saw, there are a lot of strong teams in Illinois, which is scary given that a number of teams were missing key players.

To those wary of returning next year, James is spot-on. The weather should be better (certainly couldn't be worse), and the lessons learned this year will not be repeated.