Illinois '13-'14

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
kievanrustic
Lulu
Location: Riverside, IL (Aurora, IL during most of the school year)

Illinois '13-'14

Post by kievanrustic »

Considering that 2013 HSNCT has just finished and that PACE NSC is just a week away, it seems like a good idea to look into what the next (i.e. 2013-2014) season will hold for Illinois. Post any predictions or ideas below.
Andrew Salij
Northwestern University 2024
St. Olaf College 2019
IMSA 2015
Emil Nolde
Wakka

Re: Illinois '13-'14

Post by Emil Nolde »

Unless Sabrina was a lot more important than I think she was, IMSA will win everything in-state they attend, and probably by large margins. Anton is just too quick on the buzzer, and his knowledge is too deep. Honestly, he's probably as good as the next four best players in the state combined. I'm not saying that his teammates aren't good, they'll fill his weaknesses quite well. The only chance anyone's going to have of beating them is by catching him on an off day, which is never a good thing to bet on.

Pretty much, most of the year is going to be a race for second place, and as I see it, the main contenders for that position are Carbondale, Rockford Auburn, Stevenson, and then possibly someone like Bloomington or Springfield. I see my team coming out on top there, for the simple reason that we're completely unchanged. This will be the third year of competing with this exact same lineup (granted, in 11-12, we were the B team), and if that doesn't count for anything, then I don't know what does. That sort of consistency tends to make conversing more efficient, which could in turn inflate our PPB a point or so. Maybe we could make some roster moves to fill ourselves out a little better, but still, we lose nothing. Auburn has two pretty sweet players in Evan Pandya and Cole Timmerwilke, but I don't know where Ms. Greene will be looking to replace Mike and Adam. If they can't find someone solid in science, then that will be the main reason behind whenever they lose to us. I don't know very much about Stevenson; I've actually never played their A team, but I believe they're losing Niranjan Jayanth. The biggest scorer on their team looks to be returning senior Jeeho Lee, who was quite impressive when I played him two years ago at Auburn's Knight's Challenge, and Jason, who's pretty good at a whole lot of stuff. My main reasoning for paying attention to Bloomington and Springfield is, again, because I think they keep their main players.

I think our B team definitely could be a force to be reckoned with, especially if its members commit themselves over the summer. Jonathan has been working hard on Literature, and I've been told has developed some question writing chops. Three out of the four of them will be attending ACE for the second time, which should give them quite a few opportunities to learn new things.

EDIT: Yeah, Jason's still there.
Last edited by Emil Nolde on Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James Zetterman
Carbondale Community High School '15
SIU Carbondale '19 or thereabouts

Keep your expectations low.
Harpie's Feather Duster
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

Jason comes back but I don't know who else for Stevenson.

IMSA is a solid bet for top team in the state, bringing back everybody on the A team except for Sabrina and having a solid B team that will likely bump someone up to a (my guess is Dan Pechi but I don't know). I'll put Auburn, Carbondale, and Stevenson in the next tier. Carbondale returns everybody, so they should be quite good. Auburn had a solid B team this year as well, and I know personally that Evan and Cole will probably be studying very hard this summer. Auburn is just one of those schools that always reloads really well. I don't know about Stevenson's complete lineup, but Stevenson B also made the playoffs at HSNCT, so Jason should have a good amount of help.

Another team I wouldn't sleep on next year is Springfield. Jackson was consistently one of their top scorers this year on a team that went 7-3 at HSNCT, so he could potentially challenge some of those top teams if he/his teammates studies a lot and they travel a bit more.

Oh and if Bloomington returns everyone (?) they'll be right up there as well.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

This kid got accepted to IMSA for early admission. I hear he's pretty good at quizbowl.
http://www.naqt.com/stats/individual-pe ... _id=207090

UPDATE: He has decided to attend Barrington HS for his freshman year and THEN go on to IMSA, so as to have the full four-year high school experience. Think of it as "redshirting." :cool:
Last edited by the return of AHAN on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
kievanrustic
Lulu

Post by kievanrustic »

While I don't know all that much about next year's lineups for non-IMSA teams, I do have a decent idea about how IMSA will be set up. As I don't know what sophomores will be quizbowling at IMSA next year, these line ups are somewhat tentative.

IMSA A:

Anton Karpovich:
No surprise here. Anton's pretty good at quizbowl (I hear), and xyr science depth seems to be unmatched (esp. in astronomy). Xe looks like xe'll continue to be a solid science, geography, and whatever else interests xir player. As a top 30 player at this year's HSNCT, xe will be a very strong lead for the A team.
Waleed Ali:
He's a great history player (6th in his division nationally at History Bee), and he's decent at RMP. He studies a lot, so I believe that he will be a second scorer.
Siva Gangavarapu:
Great at geo and bio, and he's decent in music. 'Nuff said.
Daniel Pechi?:
In agreement with Dylan, I think that Daniel will make the move from B team to A team over the summer. He's strong in art, and he's studying lit. This would make him a good fit for IMSA A.

Overall, while IMSA will be losing Sabrina and her deep lit knowledge, the three players who a staying are sure to get better and make IMSA A into a formidable team.

IMSA B:
Andrew Salij:
History, lit, RMP. Possible candidate for IMSA B captain.
Rajiv Patel O'Connor:
Science, some lit. Rajiv got shadowed pretty hard this year by Saieesh and to some extent Pechi and me. He's a pretty good player, and that should show in this coming year.
IDK:
As IMSA gets talented sophomores every year, new quizbowlers continually show up. The current vacant spots on B team will likely be filled up with the sophomores who have the skills that fit the team well (although students like Pranav Sivakumar from Barrington Station may play on A team).

IMSA B's performance will be highly dependent on Salij's and Rajiv's studying as well as the incoming sophomores.
IMSA C:
Highly variable. Entirely dependent on incoming sophomores.

Overall, I feel that IMSA will have two strong A and B teams. However, teams like Auburn, Carbondale, and Stevenson are also all very strong. While I personally haven't had the honor of playing a full Carbondale team (I've only played the partial team at LAST), I trust James's sentiment that Carbondale will be good due to my teammates' impressions. Auburn also looks like it will be very strong with Evan and Cole. My current ranking for the top three would be IMSA, then Auburn, then Carbondale.

Edit: Added Xe pronouns for Anton
Edit:Fixed the Xe pronouns (they were incorrectly used as I am unfamiliar with them)
Update: As coach Price has stated, Pranav won't be coming next year. Also , Varun Iyer from Springfield has told me that he plans on doing quizbowl for IMSA. While Dr. Prince actually makes the teams, in my humble opinion I think that Varum will be on IMSA B with me amd Rajiv. As of ACEcamp, he was a solid science player, nearly makimg 3rd place in tje scien e subject tourney.
Last edited by kievanrustic on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Andrew Salij
St. Olaf College 2019
IMSA 2015
Southern Double-collared Sunbirb
Lulu

Post by Southern Double-collared Sunbirb »

For those who really want to see me as some sort of great individual player, consider my solo performances at the 18 May Northwestern Tournament: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... all_games/.

I really don't do well without someone backing me up on the main gaps (especially lit+arts, though Siva's been improving as of late); and our current sophomores are rather fractious at the former, so I'm uncertain about whether these gaps can be plugged. Hopefully, some of the Barrington players will be helpful.

(also, i'd really rather y'all gendered me correctly. It's not that hard. Instead of he/his, use xe/xir. Thank you.)
Maia Karpovich
IMSA (2011-2014)
Oklahoma (2014-2018)
she/they
JHuh33
Lulu

Post by JHuh33 »

Although I didn't play at many tournaments this year, I feel like I've played the aforementioned teams recently enough to make predictions about the upcoming season. I have nothing else to add on IMSA and agree with James about Illinois being a race to second next season. Carbondale A should be one of the top teams as they lose nobody and can only improve. Mahir is finally going to ACE camp, and we all know James will study regardless of his pending decision to attend also. Prerak should be able to beat most people to science next year which could pull off some upsets as well.

The players I remember from Rockford Auburn are the the two brothers (Pandya?) and Cole. I am most familiar with Cole who is on his way to become the top sophomore player next season. He won Knight's Challenge with decent support, losing only to a Waleed-led IMSA who has moved up to their A team. I think they lose their Science brother though; our A team will probably finish higher than Auburn at tournaments next season because the number of gaps this team has to fill.

Stevenson is my bet for pulling off the most upsets next year. They absolutely destroyed us the one time we played them during the season (LAST). They tied for 13th at HSNCT. Despite losing players, Stevenson will probably make the proper adjustments as they have a stocked B team who could provide lots of support to Jason.

Springfield is a strong team, and the only reason we (the B team) beat them during the Comet Open at Greenville is sadly because of luck and buzzer racing speed IMO. Jackson was the second highest scorer that tournament, and after losing to us beat Carbondale A in the afternoon. I hear they went 7-3 at HSNCT, and hopefully they travel more next season so Jackson can develop into a player who does damage in a more competitive circuit.

The only team I can speak for certain is Carbondale B, and I will elaborate more on James said. Hopefully we will play in the upper division at tournaments next season, but that depends on what Frau Lorinskas wants us to do. After early bird, we started to pick up our game a little bit and the B-team without me placed second in the Standard Division at the Ultima. Adam Tsung and Alex Metz placed first and second respectively at the History Bee at Champaign, and they are attending ACE this summer with me for a second consecutive time. I have started to really get into quizbowl over the last couple months and am studying to become the generalist our team needs with an emphasis on Literature. The major issue with our B team is that Adam and Alex don't usually study over the summer, which could be the downfall of any success we could have next year :cry:
Jonathan Huh
CCHS
Class of '16
thrillhouse
Lulu

Post by thrillhouse »

I echo much of what has been said above. IMSA not only has Anton, the best player in the state IMO, but a strong group of supporting players around him as well, from Siva, Waleed and Dan (I use supporting loosely, as all of those players are fantastic in his own right). One top of that, they had a fantastic B team and more coming up the pipeline (as Coach Price's link can attest to as well, and my rumor may attest to below). That combination of talent, depth, focus, and purpose will be downright nasty, both next year, and as one can assume, for years to come.

Auburn, despite some key loses, will retool and reload, and compete for one of the top spots in IL again next year. They have a strong set of veterans coming back, and will be moving up a very impressive B/FS team up into those vacated positions.

Stevenson showed its impressive talent, depth, and youth last year; while this was evident in '12 - '13 year, I expect next season to be another showcase for that to be displayed.

I think there is a lot to be said about how team chemistry impacts SB, and that sort of chemistry comes from competing together as a unit - Carbondale has that, as well as a dedicated group of highly talented and motivated players. I think they play the game aggressively and, with this group in particular, with a chip on their shoulder, as if they have a lot to prove. They were young last year, but in spite of this, were still consistently near the top of the standings. With another year under their belt and with the talent they have, I expect big things from them.

Springfield had a very solid group last year, one that played great team SB. While Jackson was their primary scorer, he had some talented people around him (Patrick amongst others). I don't know how many of the Varsity A team returns, though (I don't think many). They had a good F/S team, but I think that team's top players is transferring to, of course, IMSA. That being said, Jackson can be a one-man wrecking crew on his own. If he gets some support, they should be right up there with some of the top teams in the state - and, until otherwise noted, the best team in central IL (above some other teams I predict to do well regionally such as Champaign Centennial and Central, Mahomet-Seymour, Bloomington, and Chatham Glenwood).

I don't like to comment on my own team, but I will answer Dylan's question from above. While we, Bloomington, will lose a solid role player and bonus collaborator, albeit not a high scorer, it will return the rest of its lineup, with that vacant spot being occupied by two soon-to-be junior players who had significant playing time on V and F/S last year.
Tim Coughlan
Scholastic Bowl Coach, Bloomington High School
shrey96
Lulu

Post by shrey96 »

I agree with the general consensus that IMSA is going to be good next year (as always). Auburn returns Evan and Cole, as well as many (all?) members of their B team, which was also pretty good and they could be top contenders next year. Stevenson returns Jason and Jeeho, I think, plus they had a pretty good frosh-soph team, so they'll be good. I was also thoroughly impressed by Bloomington's showing at History Bowl, and I don't think they're graduating >1 person- they're going to be a force to contend with. Carbondale is also a pretty good team already and I don't think they're graduating anyone which is always a good thing. One school I think people are forgetting, though, is Fenton - Greg is a good player, and he's getting better. I'm pretty sure both Greg and Rohan don't graduate, so they'll also be good.

I feel obligated to give some comments about my team. While we graduate a few people (myself, Baasit, and Caroline to be exact), I expect our team to be much better than this year. We return players like Avik (who was easily second on our team in scoring this year) Harsha (our resident freshman literature extraordinaire who had some unreal powers at NAQT State), Asher and Peter (who are history/geo/CE guys), Melissa and Karthik (fine arts), and Ashwin, who is pretty good at science but becoming a good generalist as well. We have a lot of key players returning, many of whom fell into my shadow because of buzzer races and frauding - when I leave, they have the ability to be much better. But that's contingent on how much they study. Most of them are going to ACE Camp, which is a good start. All of the kids previously mentioned have 2+ years left. I truly believe that they're going to be better than we were this year.

Early and probably totally wrong rankings:

1. IMSA A. They have an extremely strong team as always, and having one of the best players in the nation in Anton is always pretty nice.
2. Stevenson A. They did incredibly well at HSNCT, and they return some key players as well as a strong frosh/soph squad.
3. Auburn A. Evan and Cole are awesome players and their team is going to be rock-solid next year, but losing Alex and Mike leaves some knowledge gaps that will take time and studying to fill, which is why I'm disinclined to put them above Stevenson immediately.
4. Carbondale A. An already-great program with nobody graduating is a surefire way to do well in IL.
T5. Metea Valley A. I'm trying not to be biased (I promise!), but we have some really good players with deep knowledge who will do really well once they don't have to worry about me negging or frauding.
T5. Bloomington A. From what I saw of them at History Bowl and NTV, Bloomington is a great team, and they have some great history players. I think they'll definitely be on par with or even better than MV next year, but both are young programs and it's hard to tell who'll be better before the season even starts.
T5. IMSA B. From what I've seen of their stats and from playing the Chimera team at LAST, the pieces making up the IMSA B team seem pretty good - and no doubt, Dr. Prince will whip them into a great team. But at the same time, I think they're as experienced as MVHS or Bloomington, with just as much firepower, and at this point I really don't know who'll be better.
8. Fenton. Greg and Rohan are good players; I would rank them higher, but they don't have the support pieces to push them to the top echelon of IL QB. They'll still be major upset contenders IMO, especially because once Greg gets going on a power streak it's pretty tough to win against him.
9. Springfield. From what I hear, they're pretty good, and they were fun to play at NAQT State. If they don't lose Jackson, they'll be an awesome team next year.
10. Naperville North. Although I didn't see much of him on the circuit this year, Aseem Jha seems like a really good player who's been improving. If their coach takes them to more things (and they took a step in the right direction by going to things like NAQT State this year), they'll definitely be a team to watch out for.
Shreyas Vissapragada
Columbia University '17
Metea Valley High School '13
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

For those rating Springfield so highly: keep in mind that Adkins will not be coaching next year, and at this point I have not heard a specific name tagged as a replacement. He will still be running their tournaments and such, but will not be actively involved with the team itself.
snacksinthebasement
Kimahri

Post by snacksinthebasement »

I think it's pretty set in stone that IMSA is going to be the dominant team next year, and as James said, it will be a race for second. I can see Carbondale coming on top, they have some really balanced scoring and a great team overall with James, Prerak and Mahir. That being said, I also think Auburn has a good chance, as they are returning some really good players as well. I don't think we ever played Stevenson A this year, so I can only judge from their performance at HSNCT that they will be one of the top contenders as well. Also, am I wrong in thinking that Greg K. from Fenton was a senior this year? If he is coming back then Fenton is definitely in contention for a top 5 spot.

For Springfield, I'm not sure how good we are going to be. We are losing everyone on the Varsity team but me, and Patrick and Bryan contributed a lot more than their stat lines suggest. Patrick was almost solely responsible for our history and social studies points, and Bryan had some incredible powers on math and science questions. We are sending somewhere from 3-5 people to ACE camp, but we are losing several of them to IMSA, including our best freshman who would have played Varsity next year. However, I do think we will be one of, if not the, best teams in central Illinois, as we have consistently beaten Bloomington and Chatham in every match up. We will have some solid players to back me up, but I don't know if we will be able to beat teams like, say, Carbondale or Auburn next year unless we get very good very fast. I will be studying history a lot more to try to make up for losing Patrick, and I might be able to convince a rising junior to rejoin who would be a great asset. We are losing our coach, and there isn't really someone set to pick up the mantle yet, so that could be very problematic if we can't find someone soon. I would like to travel up to Chicago tournaments for more than just New Trier, so maybe that will be possible solo or with a new coach. 2012-2013 was supposed to be one of Springfield's worst "rebuilding" years because we graduated three great players, but it turned out to be one of our best, so who knows what could happen.

Good luck to everyone next year and I'll see some of you at ACE! :party:
Jackson Myers
Springfield '14
Berkeley '18
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Greg Krzywicki from Fenton is a junior for 2012-13, so he will be back next year.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Harpie's Feather Duster
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

I'm probably underlooking Fenton: Greg definitely improved a ton between 2011-2012 and 2012-2013, and if he goes to ACE again and continues to improve at a similar rate him and Rohan will be quite good next year.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Emil Nolde
Wakka

Post by Emil Nolde »

Fenton's looks to be the only team relying so heavily on so few players, which probably won't bode well for them in the long run.
Speaking of teams relying on few players, one graduation whose impact I hadn't really considered is that of Peoria Christian's Brittany Trang. I know her brother is still on the team; does anyone know what sort of player he is/do they have any other up-and-comers? If not, I could definitely see Carterville taking the Class A IHSA Championship, seeing as I'm pretty sure Zvonimir Stojanovski, who is fairly awesome at comp math, is going to be a senior this year.
James Zetterman

AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

thyringe_supine wrote:Fenton's looks to be the only team relying so heavily on so few players, which probably won't bode well for them in the long run.
That's a wrong statement.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
something random!
Lulu

Post by something random! »

After a great experience this year, St. Joseph High School will certainly be attending as many Illinois tournaments in the 2013-14 season as possible. Also, some of us will be in the Chicago area this summer and were wondering if there will there be any open practices we could possibly attend.
Davide Behr
St. Joseph High School IN '14
Indiana University '18
tintinnabulation
Wakka

Post by tintinnabulation »

thyringe_supine wrote: Speaking of teams relying on few players, one graduation whose impact I hadn't really considered is that of Peoria Christian's Brittany Trang. I know her brother is still on the team; does anyone know what sort of player he is/do they have any other up-and-comers? If not, I could definitely see Carterville taking the Class A IHSA Championship, seeing as I'm pretty sure Zvonimir Stojanovski, who is fairly awesome at comp math, is going to be a senior this year.
Our crop of rising juniors contains quite a few solid players; among them are my brother Ben and Bethany Geer's (led the science front of our state run in '11-'12) sister Miranda. I'm not sure they'll pull off a back-to-back-to-back IHSA state championship, but we'll see. I'm pretty optimistic about Peoria Christian's next season both in terms of potential and in terms of getting to more pyramidal events. My coach really liked his experience at NAQT State this year; with HSNCT in Chicago, who knows what might happen next season.
Brittany Trang
Ohio State
Northwestern
Boeing X-20, Please!
Rikku

Post by Boeing X-20, Please! »

I don't know why nobody is mentioning Loyola. I mean, after all, we have Coach of the Year nominee Matt Laird who is clearly responsible for all of our success since 2007-2008. I mean from telling us that the bus leaves half an hour earlier than it does so that I don't screw up us attending a tournament and physically carrying anything Morgan ever brought on a trip so that he doesn't literally leave his boarding pass at the security check-in to running practices himself rather than hiring assistant coaches to do it and recruiting young'uns, he has been behind it all and is truly deserving of such an honor. He was even the anchor of our actual quizbowl-playing team that was and always will be superior to team Illinois itself. If you guys think he can't make a top 3 national team out of such rising stars as Andrew Amesbury, then you have got another thing coming. I mean, come on! Despite his relatively young age, his enthusiasm, knowledge of the rules, and excellent moderating have earned him the respect normally only afforded to much older and seasoned coaches.
Nolan Winkler
Loyola Academy '12
UChicago '16
Stained Diviner
Auron

If you want to be a 2013-14 IHSSBCA Liaison, the deadline to apply is June 15. We have two High School Liaisons and one College Liaison each year so that students can be a part of our Steering Committee.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
MorganV
Mafiarator

Post by MorganV »

Boeing X-20, Please! wrote:I don't know why nobody is mentioning Loyola. I mean, after all, we have Coach of the Year nominee Matt Laird who is clearly responsible for all of our success since 2007-2008. I mean from telling us that the bus leaves half an hour earlier than it does so that I don't screw up us attending a tournament and physically carrying anything Morgan ever brought on a trip so that he doesn't literally leave his boarding pass at the security check-in to running practices himself rather than hiring assistant coaches to do it and recruiting young'uns, he has been behind it all and is truly deserving of such an honor. He was even the anchor of our actual quizbowl-playing team that was and always will be superior to team Illinois itself. If you guys think he can't make a top 3 national team out of such rising stars as Andrew Amesbury, then you have got another thing coming. I mean, come on! Despite his relatively young age, his enthusiasm, knowledge of the rules, and excellent moderating have earned him the respect normally only afforded to much older and seasoned coaches.
Hey, don't knock it. Anyone who can get us relatively on time to a Michigan tournament despite forgetting Michigan is in the Eastern time zone is a solid coach in my book.
Morgan Venkus
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

thyringe_supine wrote:Unless Sabrina was a lot more important than I think she was...
I can't believe I have to defend the importance of our captain, who was on the All-State First Team and was probably the best literature player in Illinois last year, but yeah, she was really important. When Sabrina played without Anton, we won Huskie Bowl. When Anton played without Sabrina, he was in the bottom half of the field. Add to that that she was our most consistent player (look up individual stat lines at, for example, NSC) and I don't see how this assessment of our team could be wronger.

Nonetheless, I do intend for IMSA to be at the top of the state next year; my current goal is a 13-peat. But, it will take a lot more work than people in this thread so far seem to think.

I also think that people for the most part are severely underestimating Stevenson. They were pretty scary last year, especially at harder tournaments (like having their 3-person A team go 10-0 and their 3-person B team go 9-1 at the local IMSANITY mirror). I think I was the least surprised person in the state when they T13-ed at HSNCT.

I hope that people's predictions about Bloomington and Springfield are correct if only to lessen the geographic divide. Coach Coughlan has been traveling all over the state the last couple years for better competition. With those two schools and Carbondale being among the strongest in the state, the central Illinois tournaments could be some of the best.
Dr. Noah Prince

Normal Community High School (2002)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2004, 2007, 2008)

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)
guy in San Diego (2016-present)
President of Qblitz (2018-present)

heterodyne
Rikku

Post by heterodyne »

Just gonna throw in my two cents, having seen some players at ACE. I don't really like ranking prepay, so I'm just gonna throw out some stuff I've seen.

Stevenson shouldn't be underestimated. Jason is quite good, and they have at least one other good player here (whose name I have forgotten, sorry).

IMSA will be good, once again. Sabrina graduating will hit their lit hard, and while Dan is good, I don't know if he can replace it. IMSA B will be good as well. Andrew S., who ain believe is our OP, has improved a lot.

Fenton returns their varsity. They can't be counted out.

Carbondale will be good, especially if JZ can become more consistent.

Don't want to say much about us, but we've got all but one of our varsity at ACE and we graduate only one.

On a phone, so sorry to anyone I excluded.

EDIT: Oh man, how could I forget Auburn! Yeah, Pandya rocks, and he has some strong support as well.
Alston [Montgomery] Boyd
Bloomington High School '15
UChicago '19
UChicago Divinity '21
they
Emil Nolde
Wakka

Post by Emil Nolde »

Look Dr. Prince, Sabrina was an excellent player, which is something we all know. By that comment, I simply meant that just because she's gone now doesn't mean anything as to how good you guys will be this year. While I'm definitely not sure that she was the flat-out best literature player in the state, she covered the literature portion of the distribution very well for your team.

IMSA features a whole ton of excellent role players, and it doesn't take a magician to see that Waleed, Dan, Anton, Siva, and Andrew are each very good at what they do, though I have no idea what the actual A team will look like. Your team probably has the least 'chinks in the armor' of any Illinois team.

Also, regarding any sort of consistency in my own play; the low points of our performance last year were mostly due to myself and usually Mahir being the only major players able to attend more than a few tournaments. Being branded as 'inconsistent' when you're simply being asked to cover a much larger portion of the canon than you're used to isn't fair. In a perfect world, I'd only be answering Fine Arts and R/M/P questions all day; that's what I really know best. The majority of my History and Literature knowledge I only made efforts to gain because no one else really covers that stuff adequately.
James Zetterman

abnormal abdomen
Rikku

Post by abnormal abdomen »

thyringe_supine wrote:Sabrina was an excellent player, which is something we all know. By that comment, I simply meant that just because she's gone now doesn't mean anything as to how good you guys will be this year.
Dude, losing a good player--no, losing even an okay player--always means something for a team.
Abid Haseeb
Auburn High School '12
Brown University '16
Writer, HSAPQ
Writer, NAQT
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

thyringe_supine wrote:Look Dr. Prince, Sabrina was an excellent player, which is something we all know. By that comment, I simply meant that just because she's gone now doesn't mean anything as to how good you guys will be this year. While I'm definitely not sure that she was the flat-out best literature player in the state, she covered the literature portion of the distribution very well for your team.
Losing the best literature player in the state's always going to have an impact on a team's performance.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

And you saw first-hand what happened to Carbondale when they lost one of the great history players and great captains in Illinois history.

Here's hoping IMSA's new players respond to Sabrina's graduation by studying instead of making posts about studying on an internet message board.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
tinioril
Lulu

Post by tinioril »

Had Sabrina not transferred to IMSA, Wheaton Warrenville South could have been a top 5 team (in the state) for two years in a row.
And if Andrew Van Dyne hadn't gone to Culver either...
Ned Lauber
Wheaton Warrenville South '12
Vanderbilt '16
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

NHBB's Illinois State Championships will be held at Fenton HS on Saturday, Feb. 8, 2014 on our A set. Information on our Northern and Central IL regional competitions will be posted here as it becomes available within the next few weeks.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

NHBB's Northern IL History Bee and Bowl is now confirmed to run at St. Viator HS in Arlington Heights on Saturday, December 14, 2013. This will run on B set. Also on B set will be our inaugural Quad Cities History Bee and Bowl just across the border in Davenport, IA on Saturday, January 11, 2014. As always, IL (and any out of state teams) are welcome to attend.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
CometsCoach
Lulu

Post by CometsCoach »

Regardless of all of the "who lost who" talk and which good players are returning, it's going to be an interesting season as it always is. I'm looking forward to seeing who is going to develop into the players that will get considered for Team Illinois when we get to February, and I'm also looking forward to watching the development of my own team. I'm hopeful that we play some matches that get the attention of the rest of the state for good reasons.

Happy buzzing to all.
Jay Winter
Iowa Quiz Bowl League Founder & CEO
VP for Outreach, PACE
Mathematics Teacher & Quiz Bowl Head Coach, Waukee Northwest High School (IA)
Co-Owner of Quiz Bowl Systems/Slammer Systems
heterodyne
Rikku

Post by heterodyne »

Following the first major tournament of the season, I thought it would be a good time to revive this thread. (Stats are not posted yet but they should be soon.)

Was anyone surprised by the results? Any predictions confirmed or changed? I was impressed by Stevenson. Everyone knew they were good, but going undefeated in the finals in that pool is quite a feat.
Alston [Montgomery] Boyd
UChicago '19
UChicago Divinity '21
they
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

This Urn Is So Grecian wrote:Was anyone surprised by the results? Any predictions confirmed or changed? I was impressed by Stevenson. Everyone knew they were good, but going undefeated in the finals in that pool is quite a feat.
I predicted Stevenson would win, and it did not surprise me that they went undefeated along the way. Sure, there was a lot of upset potential, but they were the most complete team in the top bracket. (The only other team not missing players was Ankush, no?)

I was surprised that a captainless Bloomington A defeated Auburn. This speaks a lot to how much that team has developed and how dangerous they might be later on this season. I also watched Springfield play and they were quite impressive. If they can get Jackson some support, central Illinois quizbowl will be really interesting to watch this year.
Dr. Noah Prince

Normal Community High School (2002)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2004, 2007, 2008)

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)
guy in San Diego (2016-present)
President of Qblitz (2018-present)

heterodyne
Rikku

Post by heterodyne »

Dominator wrote:
This Urn Is So Grecian wrote:Was anyone surprised by the results? Any predictions confirmed or changed? I was impressed by Stevenson. Everyone knew they were good, but going undefeated in the finals in that pool is quite a feat.
I predicted Stevenson would win, and it did not surprise me that they went undefeated along the way. Sure, there was a lot of upset potential, but they were the most complete team in the top bracket. (The only other team not missing players was Ankush, no?)
I believe you are correct. Auburn was missing Will Rupprecht.
Alston [Montgomery] Boyd
UChicago '19
UChicago Divinity '21
they
Coach G
Lulu

Post by Coach G »

We were not surprised by Stevenson's strong performance, either, considering how they did at Nationals last spring and what players they have returning. They looked really solid in the two matches we played them - though their bonus points average for the day was 22+, they scored 24+ and 26+ bonus points per round in their matches against us. Although we defeated them in the last prelim round by 210 points (their only loss for the day), they beat us by 215 in the playoffs, so I guess you could say we just about went even-Steven(son) for the day. :wink: We were looking forward to playing Fenton, but they had to leave. We look forward to playing all of the teams again, especially when both we and they are at full strength.
And, thanks to the U of I ABT for giving us this early opportunity to start the competitive season in Illinois.

P.S. Coach Prince, I don't know what you mean by a "captainless" Bloomington. Isn't Alston the team captain? He was there, and I believe he got all (or all except one)of the tossups for his team when we played them.
P.S.S. And, yes, we were missing our #3 player, Will.
Linda J. Greene
Rockford Auburn Coach
heterodyne
Rikku

Post by heterodyne »

Coach G wrote: P.S. Coach Prince, I don't know what you mean by a "captainless" Bloomington. Isn't Alston the team captain? He was there, and I believe he got all (or all except one)of the tossups for his team when we played them.
P.S.S. And, yes, we were missing our #3 player, Will.
While we don't follow a traditional captain structure persay, I believe Dr. Prince was referring to Stae Schipper-Reyes, our highest scorer last year and current senior.
Alston [Montgomery] Boyd
UChicago '19
UChicago Divinity '21
they
MACROPHAGE
Kimahri

Post by MACROPHAGE »

Dominator wrote:I predicted Stevenson would win, and it did not surprise me that they went undefeated along the way. Sure, there was a lot of upset potential, but they were the most complete team in the top bracket. (The only other team not missing players was Ankush, no?)
Hinsdale is happy that you at least somewhat remembered us, but we had a team of just 3 sophomores and 2 freshmen that we managed to scrap together the week before the tourney. We're currently rebuilding after our entire varsity graduated, leaving us with 1 junior and about 10 frosh/sophs. We have very little experience outside of Sunny, so we feel sort of lucky that we were able to play against such good teams after Fenton left, though it was a bit demoralizing.

User was banned until January 1, 2014 for repeatedly posting from this account to circumvent the ban earned by his previous account. --Mgmt.
James Zhou
Hinsdale Central '16
Safety Captain
kievanrustic
Lulu

Post by kievanrustic »

This Urn Is So Grecian wrote: Was anyone surprised by the results? Any predictions confirmed or changed? I was impressed by Stevenson. Everyone knew they were good, but going undefeated in the finals in that pool is quite a feat.
With stats now up, there were a few things that surprised me. Besides Bloomington's upset on Auburn, I was surprised and impressed by Hinsdale's showing. Personally knowing Ankush from the time that he spent at IMSA (a time that he did not do quiz bowl, I should note), I did not expect the team that he and Sunny Chen led to do especially well due to its relative obscurity. I think that its showing is just another example that people can do well if they put their mind to quiz bowl and start studying. While I'm not going to make any predictions, I do have a few comments.

One, Jackson Myers and Greg K. are pretty darn good. While this is not too surprising, I am in awe of their 90+ ppgs. If they had serious back up, they could be a powerful force this year.

Edit: Added this paragraph
Two, bonus conversion was pretty similar for the top 5 teams save Stevenson. Stevenson, with 22.99 ppb pulled ahead of the around 21 ppb for the rest of the teams. I wonder what this will mean for the future, though I understand that the disparity is likely due to teams missing players (e.g. IMSA A lacked a science specialist).

This year should be fun. I saw a lot of familiar and new (I know that for some teams Earlybird was their first tournament. Keep coming to more tourneys!) faces, and I'm glad to be part of this friendly competitive activity that is quiz bowl. There are a lot of good and hopefully soon-to-be-good teams in Illinois that should be fun to play against.

Good luck everybody,

Andrew Salij
IMSA
IMSANITY 4 Writer

Edit:
The below was part of the initial message. After reading it, I see why it is a bad idea to write about yourself in any positive manner. Despite anyone's best intentions, it can come off a being self-absorbed or arrogant.

IMSA B could be good this year. When I came to Earlybird, I was expecting to (although I still played with a good mentality) of getting whipped by the likes of Auburn, Stevenson, and other top-tier teams. The fact that a science-less IMSA B + Dan Pechi placed 2nd shows that IMSA B had some upset potential. I don't want to come off as being arrogant, so I'll stop this spiel now.
Andrew Salij
St. Olaf College 2019
IMSA 2015
ankmaster
Lulu

Post by ankmaster »

How good do you guys think Loyola will be this year? Obviously their coach is very good, but what about the actual team this year. None of us were on varsity last year, but I think they were in our IHSA sectional, and if they're even half as good as last year then we're screwed.
Looking back on Shreyas's preseason rankings, I'd say that he was spot on, based on the Earlybird results. He did rank IMSA above Stevenson, but I would think that with complete A teams, IMSA would come out on top. He went 5/5 with the first five places with Bloomington at fifth, and while his bottom five rankings are messy and uncertain, I would predict that it is very likely that that becomes the actual order by the end of the year, since IMSA A at Earlybird basically was IMSA B, and as Andrew said, they are very good, and Fenton and Springfield both would have done much better than Hinsdale in the top bracket at Earlybird.
As for my own team, the only reason we did make it into the first bracket was luck. If we hadn't beat St. Viator by 15 points, they would have made the top bracket due to Fenton leaving early. Because of that, we somehow ended up qualifying for PACE. So... yeah, the :chip: s really fell in our favor. (Is that an actual idiom)? Also, it should be selfishly pointed out that Ankush is only our third scorer, and by a wide margin.

Sorry if my attempt at discussion fell short or was uncontributive. Idk what I'm doing.

User was reminded to enable a proper signature.
MorganV
Mafiarator

Post by MorganV »

ankmaster wrote: if they're even half as good as last year
Let me assure you that you have nothing to worry about on that front.
Morgan Venkus
4nay
Lulu

Post by 4nay »

Having been friends with and having played a lot of the B team's players (which will make up a lot this year's A team from what I've been told), I can confirm that they're pretty damn good -- I don't know if they can replicate the success of previous years but they're still a great team nonetheless.
Last edited by 4nay on Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anay Katyal
Plainfield North High School '14
Michigan '18
Scholastic Bowl Coach & Teacher, Morgan Park Academy
schen
Lulu

Post by schen »

ankmaster wrote: As for my own team, the only reason we did make it into the first bracket was luck. If we hadn't beat St. Viator by 15 points, they would have made the top bracket due to Fenton leaving early.
With no offense to any members of the St. Viator team, I feel like that game was not attributable to our luck. We lost most tossups on buzzer races or my prolific negging, and their P/B was not spectacular. On a better day, we would've performed at a much higher level than they did.
Sunny Chen
Hinsdale Central HS '16
Cal '20

Member of Ankush Club
heterodyne
Rikku

Post by heterodyne »

Given that the first national rankings have just come out, what are people thinking? It's early in the season, of course, but where does IL seem like it falls in the national scene this year?

(If this post seems open ended, that's because it is. Dead threads make me sad and I needed something to inspire discussion.)
Alston [Montgomery] Boyd
UChicago '19
UChicago Divinity '21
they
ankmaster
Lulu

Post by ankmaster »

Can someone explain the whole IHSA situation for this year?

User was permanently banned for repeated posting with no signature, posts impersonating a teammate, and posts from a secondary account to evade a tempban --Mgmt.
schen
Lulu

Post by schen »

ankmaster wrote:Can someone explain the whole IHSA situation for this year?

User was permanently banned for repeated posting with no signature, posts impersonating a teammate, and posts from a secondary account to evade a tempban --Mgmt.
Well, this is rather embarrassing.
Sunny Chen
Hinsdale Central HS '16
Cal '20

Member of Ankush Club
CometsCoach
Lulu

Post by CometsCoach »

From the IHSSBCA Novice at Greenville, there was more than one player that made quite an impression during the tournament. Ananth Panchamukhi from Carbondale, Brandon Thomas from Piasa Southwestern, and Greenville's Jacob Klenke certainly made their presence felt. I thought O'Fallon's team was well balanced and focused, making them quite dangerous, and knowing their coach, Mt. Vernon's team will improve as the season goes on and they will become a difficult opponent for anyone. The downstate circuit is alive and well.
Jay Winter
Iowa Quiz Bowl League Founder & CEO
VP for Outreach, PACE
Mathematics Teacher & Quiz Bowl Head Coach, Waukee Northwest High School (IA)
Co-Owner of Quiz Bowl Systems/Slammer Systems
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Jonah Greenthal
Stained Diviner
Auron

A few IHSSBCA announcements:
Our current plan is to hold Team Illinois Tryouts at UIUC on Sunday, February 23 using the ACF Regional Set. This is the day after both ACF Regionals, which does not have an Illinois site, and NAQT State, which will also be at UIUC. This is not yet set in stone, but it is very likely.

All-Sectional nominations and voting will take place online rather than at IHSA Seeding Meetings.

Our Awards Banquet will be Saturday, April 12.
David Reinstein
Saltasassi
Lulu

Post by Saltasassi »

It's been at least a month since we've had any sort of discussion, but there have been several tournaments since then, which means that we've had a lot of results to look at.

It seems that prior to the start of the tournament season, IMSA A was considered a heavy favorite for the top team in Illinois this year. Of course, IMSA continues to be a very strong team, but I think that Auburn is giving them a real run for their money, winning both the ACF Fall mirror. I still think that IMSA A will be the team to beat on NAQT questions, winning their Kickoff and having a pretty incredible PPB. I also think that Stevenson will be a contender for the top spot, winning Earlybird (albeit with an incomplete IMSA A) and doing well at Kickoff despite their misfortunes with the questions. These three teams form my triumvirate of top Illinois teams as of right now (and probably in the long run.)

Carbondale is still one of the best teams out there, but I think that they rest at a comfortable fourth right now. They have placed highly at most tournaments, although have yet to pulled off a win. (Congrats to Carbondale B for winning its Kickoff, though!)

Bloomington has proven itself to be a tough competitor, and it looks to be the central Illinois team to beat right now. (Although, we haven't seen too much of Springfield quite yet. Hopefully the stats from their Kickoff site will come out soon?)

I think there are several teams that have shown themselves to be quite competitive, like Latin, Wheaton North, and Barrington. Fenton has also done fairly well, although perhaps not quite up to the level of discussion they generated upthread. It's also nice to see teams like Hinsdale Central trying to become more involved in quizbowl as well.

I shall refrain from commenting on my own team for now, although I have a positive outlook for the seasons ahead of us.

How does everyone else see the Illinois circuit shaping up?

EDIT: Whoops! I made sure to look up all the stats before I said anything; guess I didn't catch all of my mistakes. .__.
Last edited by Saltasassi on Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jennie Yang
Fremd 2015
Stanford 2019 + 2020
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

The Indelible Stunfisk wrote:Of course, IMSA continues to be a very strong team, but I think that Auburn is giving them a real run for their money, winning both the ACF Fall mirror and Loyburn.
IMSA A won Loyburn.

I more or less agree with the rest of your assessment.
Jonah Greenthal