Greater New Jersey Skype Bowl Scrimmage League

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Al Hirt
Wakka

Greater New Jersey Skype Bowl Scrimmage League

Post by Al Hirt »

Recently, myself and Patrick LeBlanc of High Tech have been working on a project to create a Quiz Bowl Skype League for the Greater New Jersey Area. Considering the amount of active teams in the region, we thought it’d be great practice to have continual scrimmages among the teams in the region. Due to geographic constraints and other logistic issues, most teams (especially among those in the top tiers) don’t get the chance to play each other often unless the stars align at tournaments. Therefore, this league aims to create constant competition between the teams in the region (Delaware and Eastern PA, NJ, Greater NYC Area). If your team is interested or has any questions, please email either Shravan Balaji ([email protected]) or Patrick LeBlanc ([email protected]), or comment below.
Shravan Balaji
Academic Team Captain
East Brunswick High School '15
University of Pennsylvania '19
NHBB Mid-Atlantic Regional Coordinator
czheng0708
Lulu

Re: Greater New Jersey Skype Bowl Scrimmage League

Post by czheng0708 »

I'm assuming High Tech and East Brunswick are definitely entering teams into this league. How many and what other teams have joined this league?

Also, thank you both for doing this! I think this is a great idea
Christopher Zheng
Great Neck South High School '15
University of California, Berkeley '19
Al Hirt
Wakka

Post by Al Hirt »

czheng0708 wrote:I'm assuming High Tech and East Brunswick are definitely entering teams into this league. How many and what other teams have joined this league?

Also, thank you both for doing this! I think this is a great idea
Nothing official is in, but there have been quite a few teams that have shown interest. More information will be coming soon!

Please note, we probably won't be using this thread for every update, so if you'd like more information, email me/message myself or Patrick on here.
Shravan Balaji
Academic Team Captain
Lo, Marathon Ham!
Wakka

Post by Lo, Marathon Ham! »

I like this idea definitely, however I have a question. Why skype? Why not Google +? It allows face-to-face which I find is easier when it comes to answering bonuses. Just a suggestion.
Mohan Malhotra
The Independence School '12
Charter School of Wilmington '16
New York University '20
Wilmington, DE/New York City, NY
Al Hirt
Wakka

Post by Al Hirt »

Chunky Sean wrote:I like this idea definitely, however I have a question. Why skype? Why not Google +? It allows face-to-face which I find is easier when it comes to answering bonuses. Just a suggestion.
Skype was simply a connotation with online play. If teams would prefer to use google +, they are more than welcome to. I use both and have no preference, personally.
Shravan Balaji
Academic Team Captain
KnicksRule
Wakka

Post by KnicksRule »

They only issue I have with using Google + or Skype is the pace of rounds. Often, because of various issues with connection etc. it takes nearly an hour to play 24 questions w/ bonus
Abhinav Kurada
AMSA Charter School '12-'16
Captain '13-'16
2x winner of United States Geography Olympiad (2013, 2014); USGO International Team Member (2015)
SSNCT Runner-Up (2014); T-21 HSNCT (2015)
Lo, Marathon Ham!
Wakka

Post by Lo, Marathon Ham! »

KnicksRule wrote:They only issue I have with using Google + or Skype is the pace of rounds. Often, because of various issues with connection etc. it takes nearly an hour to play 24 questions w/ bonus
Hmmmm...good point...I feel like the thing holding up matches via internet is not connection issues...but rather too much chatting, which I don't think is a problem if these are just scrimmages. However, if these become really competitive then this might be a setback. Thoughts?
Mohan Malhotra
The Independence School '12
Charter School of Wilmington '16
New York University '20
Wilmington, DE/New York City, NY
Al Hirt
Wakka

Post by Al Hirt »

People /should/ be able to avoid the chatting, as these games are relatively short (most likely 20/20 or if agreed upon 40/40). This isn't just casual skype "pick up"games, but it's not HSNCT either. I imagine teams will be able to overcome both that and technical difficulties with a little thought. Teams can choose what medium they'd like to use.

I do appreciate the comments you guys are making, it's good to think of everything before hand.
Shravan Balaji
Academic Team Captain
High Dependency Unit
Yuna

Post by High Dependency Unit »

We will be attempting to revive this league for another year. To sign up, please fill out the form here: http://goo.gl/forms/CNM9cxF7UN

The format of the league will be very similar to last year's. I will probably run the league, and I will probably get some help from others. One "season" of this will probably be about two months, after which we will run sign-ups again. In addition to jv/varisty divisions, teams will be divided into groups based on skill level. A new facebook group for the league should be created shortly.
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle '13,
Darien (co-captain) '17,
Bowdoin College (club president) '21