Announcement: ACF Fall Great Lakes @ Ohio State, 11/2/2013

Old college threads.
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Announcement: ACF Fall Great Lakes @ Ohio State, 11/2/2013

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

Hello, this is a formal announcement for a mirror of ACF Fall, to be held at Ohio State University on November 2nd, 2013.

This is a packet-submission event, so please check with the guidelines posted here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14595 to see what is required of your team in terms of question writing. If you do need to write a packet (someone on your team's played a collegiate tournament prior to September 1, 2012, regardless of whether he/she is in high school or college) you should be aware of the upcoming deadlines, discounts, and penalties:

Packet submitted before 11:59 PM eastern time on:
September 8, 2013: -$50
September 22, 2013: -$25 (-$50 for teams not required to submit packets)
October 6, 2013: No penalty (-$25 for teams not required to submit packets)
October 13, 2013: +$25
October 20, 2013: +$50
After Oct. 20, 2013: The editors may grant one or more 24-hour extensions at an additional penalty of $10 per day.

We'll have more information regarding location and time as the tournament approaches.

Fees:

Base fee: $120 for one team from a school, $240 for two teams from a school, etc.
Buzzer systems: -$5 each No discount for broken buzzers; no maximum.
Staffers: -$10 each No maximum.
Laptop: -$5 each Maximum 1 per team.
Travel: -$10 per 200 miles traveled one way
International: -$20 (For teams representing schools located in a different country than the tournament host.)
New ACF teams: -$25
For schools who did not send a team to ACF Fall, Regionals, or Nationals between September 2011 and August 2013, and have no one on the team(s) claiming this discount who played those tournaments for another school.
New quizbowl teams: -$75
For schools who did not send a team to any regular collegiate academic tournament since September 2011, and have no one on the team(s) claiming this discount who played those tournaments for another school. May be combined with new ACF team discount for a total new-team discount of $100.

Note Regarding High School Teams
High school teams are welcome to play this tournament, though they should keep in mind that while this may be a lower difficulty tournament, it is nevertheless a collegiate event and significantly more difficult than many high school tournaments. There will be no further discounts for things like playing short-handed or being new to ACF or quizbowl, which applies only to new college teams. Furthermore, high school teams must write a packet if any of its members played a college tournament prior to the 2012-2013 competition season.

To register for this event being held at Ohio State University, simply e-mail me with the number of teams, buzzers, staffers, etc. that you plan on bringing to the tournament. My email is giantkiller54[at]gmail[dot]com.

Thanks!

Field:
Ohio State (?)
Case Western (2)
Chicago (3)
Kentucky (4)
Kenyon (2)
Louisville
Michigan (2)
Michigan State (2)
Northmont HS
Northwestern (2)
Purdue
Wright State (2)
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
grapesmoker
Sin

Re: Announcement: ACF Fall Great Lakes @ Ohio State, 11/2/2013

Post by grapesmoker »

You can now register for ACF Fall by filling out this form. Please do so as soon as you can.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Susan »

The teams who have registered with ACF for this tournament may be found here. If you've already registered and need to change any of your info, please let me know at [email protected]. If you still need to sign up for the tournament, please register using this form.
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

As of right now, we have 23 teams. I'm going to close the field at 24, so if someone can field an additional team, go for it. Otherwise I'll fill the gap with a house team of freshmen/sophomores.
Jarret Greene
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Hey everyone,

I'll be sending out a more detailed email later today, but just so everyone knows, registration fr ACF Fall will take place between 8:15-8:45 in Dreese Labs 113. For folks who came to Penn Bowl, it's the same place we met last week.
Jarret Greene
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Jarret Greene
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Congrats to Chicago A for defeating Michigan A in the first game of the final to win. Northmont and Ohio State A rounded out the top 4, with Northmont winning DII and OSU A getting second.

Thanks to everyone who came out, I hope you had a good time.

Final stats are here.
Jarret Greene
a bird
Wakka

Post by a bird »

Thanks to Jarret and OSU for an overall fun tournament, and congrats to Chicago A and all the other teams at the event. I think everyone from Kenyon had a pretty good time overall.

The one thing I'm wondering about is the inequality between the two prelim brackets; the Julio-Claudian bracket had an average ppb of 17.23 the Falvian had an average of 20.13, three teams in Julio-Claudian had ppb over 22, compared to five in the Falvian.
Graham R.

Maryland
Susan

Post by Susan »

Inkana7 wrote:Congrats to Chicago A for defeating Michigan A in the first game of the final to win. Northmont and Ohio State A rounded out the top 4, with Northmont winning DII and OSU A getting second.
Actually, OSU A wins DII, as high schoolers are not eligible for DII at ACF tournaments. I apologize for our failure to make this rule clear, and I will ensure that it is clarified before Regionals.
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Post by Sniper, No Sniping! »

Susan wrote:
Inkana7 wrote:Congrats to Chicago A for defeating Michigan A in the first game of the final to win. Northmont and Ohio State A rounded out the top 4, with Northmont winning DII and OSU A getting second.
Actually, OSU A wins DII, as high schoolers are not eligible for DII at ACF tournaments. I apologize for our failure to make this rule clear, and I will ensure that it is clarified before Regionals.
OSU A had a high schooler on their team, so something's got to give?
Thomas Moore
Lancaster Fisher Catholic HS c/o 2014
Ohio Wesleyan University c/o 2018
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I'm the DII champion!
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Mr. Scogan wrote:
Susan wrote:
OSU A had a high schooler on their team, so something's got to give?
Arjun is enrolled as an OSU student and played as such.
Jarret Greene
djones
Wakka

Post by djones »

Jarret is correct- since Arjun is taking classes at OSU, he is eligible to play for them. Therefore, OSU should be the D II champion.

However, by playing with OSU yesterday, he forfeited his eligibility for OAC regionals/state, since OAC rules prohibit students who have played with a college team from participating in regionals/state. The committee will be notifying his HS coach of that this week.
David Jones
Coach, Northmont High School
Harpie's Feather Duster

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

Other than the rather unfortunate prelim bracket seeding this tournament was fun and well run, and I'm sure the other Northwestern guys who came would agree.

Small stat correction: I'm pretty sure we only got 9 tossups in our game against Northmont, as the total number of 10's adds up to 21 instead of 20.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
BuckeyeFan100
Kimahri

Post by BuckeyeFan100 »

djones wrote: However, by playing with OSU yesterday, he forfeited his eligibility for OAC regionals/state, since OAC rules prohibit students who have played with a college team from participating in regionals/state. The committee will be notifying his HS coach of that this week.
Me and my coach, Tim Hayes, were both aware of this rule prior to me competing yesterday. My coach and I mutually agreed to have me play as part of OSU, forfeiting my eligibility for OAC regional and states.
Arjun Venkataraman
Dublin Scioto High School '14
The Ohio State University '14
Princeton University '18
djones
Wakka

Post by djones »

OK, I wasn't sure. Joe and I were concerned when we saw you were playing for OSU since the rule is in there for OAC.
David Jones
Coach, Northmont High School