SUBMIT @ Brown, 1/25/14

Old college threads.
abnormal abdomen
Rikku

SUBMIT @ Brown, 1/25/14

Post by abnormal abdomen »

This is the announcement for Brown's mirror of the Submission-Utilizing Berkeley/Maryland Invitational Tournament, or SUBMIT, to be held on January 25, 2014. The original tournament information can be found here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... lit=SUBMIT. I will be serving as tournament director.

The tournament is being held in Wilson Hall (NOT the same building as J. Walter Wilson). Wilson Hall is the same building where ACF Regionals was hosted last year. It is located on Brown's Main Green; the closest parking would be on the streets around that area. A campus map may be viewed here: http://brown.edu/Facilities/Facilities_Management/maps/

We expect the tournament to begin at 9 AM, hoping to have arrivals by 8:30 AM. Registration will take place in Wilson 102. The tournament should go until about 6 PM. Brown is not providing food, but Wilson Hall is only a block away from Thayer Street, which has many options for food and drink.

Fees:

Base fee: $100 per team
-$50 - Packet submitted by Saturday, November 30.
-$25 - Packet submitted by Saturday, December 14.
+$0 - Packet submitted by Saturday, December 21.
+$25 - Packet submitted by Saturday, December 28.
+$50 - Packet submitted by Saturday, January 4.
+$100 - Packet submitted after that, with an additional $10/day

Packets should be sent to Brian McPeak at bmcpeak (at) terpmail (dot) umd (dot) edu.

Buzzer discount: -$5 per working buzzer, no limit on the amount of buzzers
Staffer discount: -$20 per competent moderator, who reads for the entire day
Travel discount: -$10 per 200 miles one-way according to Google Maps.
Packet discount: details in the link above

The minimum fee is $40. Please pay by cash or check to "Brown University Quiz Bowl."

Up to six players may play on a team; any more than that, and you will have to register an additional team. Four players will play at a time, with substitutions at halftime. Players must play on the same team all day (no switching from A team to B team). Teams who play with 1 or 2 players will have a discount on the fee, but teams with 3 players will not be discounted.

We are currently capping the field at 12 teams; above this, you will be placed on a wait list. If we have enough staffers, rooms, and interest, the field cap may rise. Please register by emailing [email protected] with a subject line of "SUBMIT Registration for [Your team here]" and the following information: number of teams, number of buzzers, number of staffers, a contact e-mail address, and an emergency cell phone number in case of necessary contact the day of the tournament.

Hope to see you all in Providence.
Abid Haseeb
Auburn High School '12
Brown University '16
Writer, HSAPQ
Writer, NAQT
abnormal abdomen
Rikku

Re: SUBMIT @ Brown, 1/25/14

This post will be reserved for field updates. I'll try to update stuff as immediately as possible.

Field (11 as of 1/4/14):

School: Teams, Buzzers

Yale: 2, 2
Dartmouth: 2, 1
Harvard: 1, 4
Northeastern: 2, 0
MIT: 2, 1
Columbia: 1, 1

Waitlist:
Last edited by abnormal abdomen on Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:38 am, edited 5 times in total.
Abid Haseeb
Auburn High School '12
Brown University '16
Writer, HSAPQ
Writer, NAQT
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Post by gyre and gimble »

We'll register 2 teams and 4 buzzers.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
abnormal abdomen
Rikku

Two spots left.
Abid Haseeb
Auburn High School '12
Brown University '16
Writer, HSAPQ
Writer, NAQT
abnormal abdomen
Rikku

Field is closed. If you wanna get on the waitlist, shoot me an email as mentioned above.
Abid Haseeb
Auburn High School '12
Brown University '16
Writer, HSAPQ
Writer, NAQT
t-bar
Tidus

Post by t-bar »

Apologies for not sending this as an email as requested, but I'd like to encourage reciprocation from other schools: MIT probably has enough players for a second team. I don't see a waitlist upthread, but is it possible that there's enough interest from other schools and staff from Brown to expand to 14 or 16 teams?
Stephen Eltinge
Then: TJ, MIT, Yale, PACE, NAQT
Now: ACF
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Well, I emailed in to drop one of our teams, so that should make adding a team from MIT easier.

That said, this is a packet-sub tournament where the final number of packets may be small. So the field will almost certainly have too many packet-writing teams in it to "burn" every submitted packet from a team in the field and have enough to still run a tournament. It would be a better idea to hold the field at 11 and do a round robin, or to wait until the field can be expanded to 14 (two brackets of 7 with bye, breaking to top 8/bottom 6), so a schedule with byes and a sensible number of rounds can exist. (I'm presuming that limitations on stamina or packets will make a 13-round round robin impractical.)
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
abnormal abdomen
Rikku

Hey guys!

For the reasons Matt pointed out, in addition to the fact that we don't exactly have a ton of staffers at Brown, I think we will keep the field at 11, unless someone has a different brilliant idea. It seems like the simplest solution to me. My apologies to MIT.
Abid Haseeb
Auburn High School '12
Brown University '16
Writer, HSAPQ
Writer, NAQT
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Post by gyre and gimble »

We'll likely drop a team, just to give the folks over at MIT and Brown a heads up. I'm waiting on replies from people on our team who wouldn't have to write a packet.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
abnormal abdomen
Rikku

Hello again!

The field now reflects the fact that Harvard has dropped one team and MIT has added one team. We thus have 11 teams, and will play a round-robin. If anyone has any feedback, please let me know ASAP!

Thank you, and I look forward to seeing everyone on Saturday.
Abid Haseeb
Auburn High School '12
Brown University '16
Writer, HSAPQ
Writer, NAQT
abnormal abdomen
Rikku

Two more things:

I'm going to mention these things in an email later tonight, but please keep in mind the following:

a) If for whatever reason weather ends up becoming an issue for you on Saturday morning, PLEASE call or text me at 815-520-0011. If I somehow don't respond or pick up, call or text Rohith Nagari at 360-772-9298.

b) Bye round teams will probably be asked to devote anywhere between 1 and 4 staffers on the day of the tournament. Brown has enough readers, but we know for a fact that one or more rooms will be fairly slow if Person X is both reading and scorekeeping.
Abid Haseeb
Auburn High School '12
Brown University '16
Writer, HSAPQ
Writer, NAQT
abnormal abdomen
Rikku

Okay, so Wellesley just dropped, putting us at 10. I'm trying to scrape together one or two extra staffers, but in the meantime does anyone have any opinions or ideas about scheduling?
Abid Haseeb
Auburn High School '12
Brown University '16
Writer, HSAPQ
Writer, NAQT
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

You will want/need to add an 11th team to the field to preserve byes (or else you will need to "burn" and not read every packet submitted by a team in the field, which will leave you with too few to run a tournament plus finals). Does anyone have extra people they could put forward to create an 11th team? If not, you may have to field 1-2 people as a house team and ask teams to read on their bye round.

I guess, failing all that, you should obtain the final list of packets (i.e. by the names of the schools combined to form each packet) from Brian ASAP. Depending on the number of packets in the set which feature no questions by teams at this site, there may be a way to do something more abstruse. Such as: Use five packets by teams in the field for two brackets of 5 with bye, then do a double RR among the top 4 with six packets not submitted by teams in the field (and a single five-game RR among the bottom 6), hoping you still have two usable packets for finals. This would give some teams 10 games and other teams 9, and requires at least eight packets in the final set to not be using any questions from teams at the Northeast site (5 prelim packets submitted by teams at this site + 6 playoffs packets not submitted by this site + 2 finals packets not submitted by this site; the set reportedly has 15 packets total, so you can "burn" up to two extraneous packets written by teams at this site or reserve them for emergency questions if they are also site-neutral.) Ideally we won't need to try and work this scenario out, but so long as at least 8 packets are site-neutral we can cobble something together.

Brian, is such a list available?
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Brian McPeak
Lulu

Post by Brian McPeak »

Editors 1-4
1. Penn A, Louisville
2. Illinois A, Alabama, Yale B
3. Columbia A, MCTC
4. Michigan A, MIT A
5. Yale A, OSU A
6. UVA A, Minnesota, Northeastern
7. Harvard A, UVA B
8. Illinois B, Penn B
9. Dartmouth A, Penn C
10. WUSTL, Haverford, Bellarmine A
11. Washington, Dartmouth B, GW A
Brian McPeak
University of Maryland
SunWukong
Lulu

Post by SunWukong »

Congratulations to Yale A, who cleared the field, and to MIT A, Columbia, and Harvard who tied for second. Stats can be found here:

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... all_games/

Feel free to E-mail me any corrections.
Daniel Brach-Neufeld
Georgetown Day School 2012
Brown University 2016
abnormal abdomen
Rikku

Hey everyone!

I'll start by saying congrats to Yale A for clearing the field!

I'd also like to thank everyone for coming out, especially my staffers in general: Justin Byrd, Ryan Walsh, Rohith Nagari, Leo Cooper, Thomas Culver, and most importantly, Daniel Brach-Neufeld, who did stats. I also want to thank everyone for staffing during their bye rounds.

If you guys have any questions or concerns specifically for Brown Quiz Bowl, please let me know!

I hope you all had a great time, and we hope to see you all at Brown again.

Warmest,

Abid
Abid Haseeb
Auburn High School '12
Brown University '16
Writer, HSAPQ
Writer, NAQT